What's new

Your feelings on the story ? ( Spoilers obviously)

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
EDIT: Also, that was a huge "Fuck you" to Sektor fans. He's been my favorite since MK3, mained him in MK9, and he gets killed off-screen even after he survived MK9 and was left in a huge position of power. He could at least have been a flashback fight.
Dude why are you upset? You should be glad that they showed us Sektor fans that Subzero still keeps his head(and an arm) alive and powered up.

You know the cool thing about robot parts? You can just put them on other robot parts. I can totally see Sektor finding a way to get a new body or something. Maybe Cyrax and/or the surviving Tekunin come back for his head and have his body re-built.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
I overall really liked the story; played through it in two sittings. Reading the Mortal Kombat X comics, and knowing a lot of the previous timeline's story helps as well.

After the first story trailer, there was no question that Story Mode was mainly meant to set up the new generation of characters, specifically the "kids," so in that sense I got what I expected. The narrative for Mortal Kombat (2011) was more well put together, but Mortal Kombat X's has better production values.

I was completely unsurprised that Shinnok was the main villain as that was set up at the end of the last game. Kotal Khan was never meant to be a power like Shao Khan, and the current "administration" of Outworld is not blood thirsty conquering warlords like under Shao. Kotal is not as strong as Shao, but is a better "leader" that actually cares about his Realm. I thought his character was done well, and NetherRealm said several months back he is not meant to be an antagonist like Shao was.

I did find the Outworld Civil War plot to be the most interesting, and thought Mileena was exceptional in the game. I'm not surprised Goro is absent from the story, as Kotal tore off all his arms in the comics. I don't see Goro getting Robo arms like Jax.

I did not see D'Vorah's twist coming, so that was awesome. I also expected Liu, Kitana, and Kung to be "saved" since they have different skins in the roster, so that was a surprise and an interesting twist to their characters. Dark Raiden was also a great surprise.

Overall, I really enjoyed the story, and hope we're able to learn more and not have to wait until the next game, as there's lots more I want to know.
maybe my issue was i didn't read the comics.

the story just felt so barebones in terms of exposition, i didn't feel any connection to any of the characters' motivations

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I was a bit bummed out about D'vorah switching sides, but then I saw her ending and it tells you why she was "serving" Shinnok.

More specifically her plan.

Lol I loved how Netherealm made Quan Chi a jobber this whole story, everyone got a piece of that ass

D'Vorah was cool as a Kotal loyalist but being aligned with Shinnok was a dumb twist unless it benefits her in some way which I doubt

The Backyardigans were alright but the only two characters that were interesting for me were Kung Jin and Takeda. Takeda cause of being raised by Scorpion's clan and daddy issues from the comics and Kung Jin's past and being the smartest character in the group making bad decisions out of moral code. Cassie came off as this supposed leader that had no clue what she was doing, which is cool cause she's new to this stuff, but it upset me that she was clueless all the way until the point were she beat Shinnok. Jacqui had no other interesting things about her character wise other than being Jax's little girl or Takeda's love interest.

Cage was cool as cocky sob turned dad/mentor and Sonya being a cold bitch was always her character, it's just that once she directs her hate to a fan favorite (Johnny) everyone gets on the hate Sonya train.

Kano was a jobber

Kotal Kahn came off as a honorable up until he betrayed the Eatherealmers (Wasn't the whole point that he wanted to dethrone Mileena was because she wouldn't become aligned with Earthrealm for Outworld's safety? Srs wtf Kotal) then he just became somewhat of a wuss. You could argue that he's a leader that plays it safe and that at the time aligning w/ Earthrealm was convenient for him and Outworld and once Shinnok got all the power all he could do was bend the knee. But idk I guess that he's such a different type of leader idk whether to think he's smart or weak.

Ermac... Why is he even in the story???? Like a character like Ermac seems like he could body everyone (ignoring canon stryker defeat) why is he over here bending the knee to kings and queens???

Erron Black is just a better Kano

Reptile?? I thought he was dead half the time, him outing Mileena made no sense, like why tf does he care who's ruling???

Baraka died to give Ferra/Tor life

Shinnok was a lame villain tbh, kind of always has been

Raiden ugh... still trying to do right and fixing what's fucked up. Dark Raiden the only way to make him different I think.. No more Mr. Nice Guy???

Sub-Zero was alright just a knowledgeable overseerer

Scorpion... so fucking glad the whole Sub0 beef is done with, the beef was getting old. Still hate how he always fucks stuff up but that's the price of being Ghost Rider I guess. Really liked Hanzo though, he's awesome.

Yo Kitana and Liu Kang are badass... the disrespect they dish out too raw. Them being the new rulers of the Netherealm seems really interesting.

Rain and Tanya... Guess the plan didn't work out??? So now what they go into hiding cause they fucked up with Mileena??

Mileena... thank god they brought her back to her Deception levels of badassness. Sucks her rebellion and rule didn't last long. I mean she tried to rule like Shao Kahn and it was cool that she grew so much from the last game to realize: "I'm actually the closest thing to an heir, fuck everyone else". Problem was that she lacked her "father's" strength therefore ruling like him was bound for disaster. I wonder what made everyone hate her rule though? Not aligning with Earthrealm was really the only reason??
Just a thought but what if netherealm forshadowed who they would cut. Jade was low tier in the last game and she was left behind because of lack of following. Mileena is dead and she's not that great in the game sooo... Idk just a thought

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
story seems hurried and presenting stuff lacking details .... a lot of characters were there but not fully explored , and Mileena deserved an epic death, maybe a duel to death with Kotal .... Shinnok not being present all the time = fail .... the main villain must always be fully part of story mode ..... MK 9 was a 8/10 story mode score, while MKX is 6/10 ....

Best character in MKX story mode .... D'vorah by far.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
It seemed that the "QTE" stuff they advertised so heavily on the story was forgotten or left out entirely after chapter 1. The rest of the story has absolutely NO QTE cutscenes, therefore you could not define how a scene played out. That was bullshit IMO.

Also, they left a lot of loose ends, unanswered questions, pretty much just forgot or let go of entire plot lines. What happened with Kotal Kahn and co? What happened to Kenshi, or Scorpion? It was extremely short, and there was way too much focus on the Cage family this go around. Expect NO explanations for the characters' various variations. I was heavily disappointed in the story. I wanted to see "WHY" there was a "Possessed" Kenshi. I wanted to see HOW Johnny Cage developed his stunt double powers. I also, most importantly, wanted to see WHY older Liu Kang and Kung Lao are playable in their older, redeemed forms. NO explanations whatsoever. No redeeming characters, no stories of redemption, coming of age, nothing.

If I give MK9 a 7 or 8 out of 10, I give MKX a 3.

I enjoyed the story, But i've also been reading the MKX comics so maybe the story feels more full to me because of that idk. I did like the story mode though.

Torquemada

Violence is piety.
I don't get upset because make believe people in a make believe story die or whatever but Ferra/Torr's ending was a bummer. It's some pure Old Yeller type shit.

Quan Chi being owned at every opportunity was pretty cool, though.

Dark

Noob
It seemed that the "QTE" stuff they advertised so heavily on the story was forgotten or left out entirely after chapter 1. The rest of the story has absolutely NO QTE cutscenes, therefore you could not define how a scene played out. That was bullshit IMO.

Also, they left a lot of loose ends, unanswered questions, pretty much just forgot or let go of entire plot lines. What happened with Kotal Kahn and co? What happened to Kenshi, or Scorpion? It was extremely short, and there was way too much focus on the Cage family this go around. Expect NO explanations for the characters' various variations. I was heavily disappointed in the story. I wanted to see "WHY" there was a "Possessed" Kenshi. I wanted to see HOW Johnny Cage developed his stunt double powers. I also, most importantly, wanted to see WHY older Liu Kang and Kung Lao are playable in their older, redeemed forms. NO explanations whatsoever. No redeeming characters, no stories of redemption, coming of age, nothing.

If I give MK9 a 7 or 8 out of 10, I give MKX a 3.
There were QTE's in quite a decent amount of chapters.

Johnny, Kotal, Kung Jin, Sonya, Takeda, Jax, Scorpion, and D'Vorah's had the fatality thing

Bar_Bar13

Friendly Neighborhood Spectre
So Jax is the only person in both timelines, besides Raiden, to defeat Liu Kang in 1v1 Kombat. He must have a hella of a lot of power.

I just really miss the MKDA/MKD story writers. The story on those games actually handled character deepening and sub-plots WAY better than MKX did.

See Mileena fighting Baraka because he was the only one who could possibly know that she was not really Kitana, and thus could jeopardize her schemes of commanding the edenian troops.

See Ermac being freed from Shao Kahn and minding his own business.

See Onaga, the legendary ruler of outworld whom Shao Kahn himself feared, return and body Quan Chi, Raiden AND Tsung at once.

etc, etc, etc.

The voice acting and the cinematic presentation of those games sucked balls, but the story writing was very good. Now we have characters showing up for 5 seconds in story mode to be instruments to the plot - and worse, we have characters showing up for 5 seconds in story mode to not serve even as instruments to the plot: they literally serve no purpose.

I thought MK9 story was predictable and cheesy. Then came MKX, damn.

I just really miss the MKDA/MKD story writers. The story on those games actually handled character deepening and sub-plots WAY better than MKX did.
I strongly disagree, but of course to each their own. I thought the story telling, voice acting, etc. were really bad in Mortal Kombat: Deception. Never touched Deadly Alliance, but I heard it was worse.

I strongly disagree, but of course to each their own. I thought the story telling, voice acting, etc. were really bad in Mortal Kombat: Deception. Never touched Deadly Alliance, but I heard it was worse.
Then you don't disagree with me at all, since I pointed out the voice acting and cinematography of those games sucked. I just think the actual story, once you took your time to understand it from character bios and endings and the konquest mode, was way better than anything MKX was.

Then you don't disagree with me at all, since I pointed out the voice acting and cinematography of those games sucked. I just think the actual story, once you took your time to understand it from character bios and endings and the konquest mode, was way better than anything MKX was.
Ah, I misread you then.

catdurid

Noob
This story was all over the damn place.

No back story, little detail, unanswered questions at the end, power levels way off, confusing, and less epic than it easily could have been.

Why just skip over the nether realm invasion so quickly, only to focus on the next gen characters? Should have made the game more about nether realm, and outworld civil war. Then introduce the new newbie characters training at the end or something after so much bad has happened. Hope for the future sort of thing.

Should really extend the story to make evil characters playable.

They should just hire John Tobias to do a proper MK story.

p.s. Scorpion is even more of a D-bag after this story.

iMileena

"I will cut a hole in you"
To be honest i like it kinda but I mostly don't..

Kitana being queen of hell? Really?

Only a few resurrected characters are back , & since quan is dead how will they be back ???

Umm... Mileena dying -_______-

Jade isn't coming back why?

Why is jhonny cage pulling this A-team shit?

Some things are good though

I like the civil war it's interesting to hear about

Jhonny cage was about to die :) barely..

Kung jin <3

All this cause of raiden ..

What are your thoughts?