What's new

Your feelings on the story ? ( Spoilers obviously)

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
The story didn't answer shit, and it's making me mad coz the costumes for hella characters make no fuckin sense.
I was waiting for more stuff coz they advertised it to be so much more yet it answers nothing.

What's up with Lao/Liu Kang/Kitana and their default costumes?
Where are the robots? Sektor gets a shitty cameo and that's it, no Cyrax or Cyber Sub info at all.
Why did Shinnok have less screen-time than the NPC Rain?
Where the fuck did Fujin go after that 1 scene?
Why is Smoke Enenra now?
How come there is nothing on most of the new characters?
Why is Mileena's tournament costume even in the game? I thought she'd have a scene or something using it at least..
Why is Tanya even in this shit? she has absolutely no purpose..
Why did some revenants revert to living forms while others stayed undead?
What makes Jacqui special so she can take on Ermac and not get merked like her dad? the other 3 have somewhat legit reasons (Son of Telepath and Shirai Ryu apprentice, Shaolin monk and Kung Lao's relative, Got JC's green nonsense which ruined the game's ending) but what about Jacqui? she's Jax's daughter and Takeda is gonna be hittin' that.. that's it! Ugh what a waste of a cool design ~__~

I was expecting more than I should've I guess, the alt costumes gave me hope for maybe a flashback chapter/scene for Cassie/Jacqui like what Kung Jin and Takeda got, some stuff after to show how Liu Kang and the other revenants got their default costume looks. You can't have stuff like Kitana using Jade's weapons and have it called mournful when Kitana herself is neither alive nor a part of the story of MKX.. that is not ok :mad:

Aside from Takeda, D'vorah and Kung Jin none of the new characters got explored enough, I liked Kotal Kahn and was diggin him but they had the new "badass" character get bodied super early in the story.. I don't care how OP Kung Jin is you can't just show up and bop the Kahn like he's a lackey.....

The inconsistencies in power levels were also very irritating, it felt like most the cast got shafted just to show off the new generation characters and Scorpion..
Overall I enjoyed it I guess but there was so much potential for the story itself and stuff they could've built up on to make it more than just an intro to the fantastic four..

Anyway, the good:

• Mileena's voice actress (best in the game). Very good voice acting all around.
  • The Hanzo/Sub Zero plot line
  • AMAZING choreography and cinematic direction
  • Managed to flesh out what was essentially 4 different new protagonist characters in a short time.
  • Kotal Kahn is an interesting villain with complex motivations.
  • A generally good plot.
The bad:
  • The family difficulties theme was strong, and the political intrigue plot was strong, but they weren't tied together well. We essentially had 2 different themes trying to share a single plot.
  • Obvious lack of explanations since MK9.
  • QTE's are dumb.
  • Alot of exposition is handled clumsily (see the scene were they are sneaking up on the revenants while they conveniently explain the plans of the villains)
  • Unlike Kota Kahn, Shinnok and Quan Chi are rather one dimensional villains that are basically "evil cuz the plot needs evil guys"
Overall, easily one of the best fighting game stories out there, and not just because that is a terribly low standard.

KiD INsAnitY

Z of The Leaf -Team R.A.N
Lot of unanswered questions

Why are Liu, Lao and Kitanna revenants In the story still but human on the roster.

How are they even still Revenants if both Quan and Shinnok or dead? What magic is still holding their souls hostage?

Who is the Sub-Zero we play in character select?

What turned Raiden dark? Why is his finger nail like claws? Lmao

So are Liu and Kitanna the new rulers of the Netherrealm?

What happen to Shang Tsung?

I feel there is a like a huge secret chapter they left out.

Spooky Deadeye

Project-6 β
Did not like much about the revenants escaping with Liu Kang and Kitana becoming rulers of the Netherrealm.
They don't seem the type to rule, even if they are evil now.

Brutal Chimney

vaporus punching bag
Kotal is not as strong as Shao Khan, it's never even implied he is. Shao was in control because he was so strong no one could stop him, but after his death they needed a leader not a conqueror

Next the kids aren't weak. even if they are younger you have to keep in mind they've been spending all their years training harder than their parents did, who just originally fell into it. When they talk about being in their shadows they specifically talk about lacking their accomplishments, and when Sub Zero fights them he criticizes their team work not their indivial strengths.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
I don't know why most wanted the revenants back. At first when Kitana and Kung Lao were revealed living, most people bashed NRS for resurrecting them. But in the story, they actually stay dead. I'm content with it. At least they are not deconfirmed for MK11. The story felt a little lacking though, the jumps in time not too connected with present, but it was ok. Maybe 30 more mins would've helped.
I have only one gripe with it. Sindel was in as a revenant but Jade not? I'm dissapoint.

Brutal Chimney

vaporus punching bag
Lot of unanswered questions

Why are Liu, Lao and Kitanna revenants In the story still but human on the roster.

How are they even still Revenants if both Quan and Shinnok or dead? What magic is still holding their souls hostage?

Who is the Sub-Zero we play in character select?

What turned Raiden dark? Why is his finger nail like claws? Lmao

So are Liu and Kitanna the new rulers of the Netherrealm?

What happen to Shang Tsung?

Or you didn't pay attention to anything

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
I was disappointed that both of my characters kenshi and erron black both had barely anything to do with the story, every once in a while it was like "OH SHIT THERE HE IS AWESOME" then they moved on and it was like "oh so I can't play as him yet? Please? But he is my favorite, no? Okay :(" and kenshi doesn't even do anything cool in the story, he just kind of gets his ass kicked, same with erron, even though they are insanely deadly and badass, and I feel like erron could have been so much more story wise rather than just being one of kotal Kahns employees, hell he had like 2 lines in the game. And I am just going back to kenshi for a minute since I think it is stupid Cassie and jaqui got their parents to be playable in story mode, why not kenshi? Show more of his years fighting the red dragon, show him trying to do best to train Takeda, show his back story of him getting screwed over by shang tsung for new players that don't know who he is. And don't even get me started on how liu Lao and kitana are still just revenants and were just there to go like "hey want to know how we get human again? Too fucking bad we don't return to normal, we are just here to suck shinnoks dick" and I was insanely disappointed when the civil war of out world was over before you knew it, it just kind of ended, this story raised way more questions than it answered, like how did quan chi truly die if when you die you go to the nether realm? Your telling me that raiden, a fucking god, can get resurrected in the nether realm but quan can't? That sense does that make? This games story did have it's moments, like a was not expecting D'Vorah to be a follower of shinnok and betray kotal Kahn, unfortunately it was plagued with just as many stupid things like the final boss looking fucking retarded, it looked like they were trying way too hard to make shinnok look badass when corrupted and failed miserably, and shinnok being the bad guy is just fucking boring, would have been cooler if quan came back, took down shinnok and then used the power for himself, or hell a powered up liu kang, fucking ANYONE other than shinnoks goofy looking ass. But with that being said I actually do really like the story, I loved the character interactions, kung jins back story (while it could have and should have been longer) got me liking jin and making me sympathize with him, johnny cage was funny as hell in the story and had some really really touching moments. But over all it was disappointing and left me saying what the fuck that is it? But oh well, guess my main reason for being disappointed is that I was really really excited to see what they could do with kenshi and erron on the story line, and that was the aspects the failed most in, I mean fucking SINDEL of all characters had more dialogue than erron did and had more fights than kenshi did. And all erron and kenshi did was get their assess handed to, which is complete bullshit, they shouldn't lose every single fight, they are damn good warriors, why the hell couldn't they win any fights even though it is hinted at that the new earth reason champion is kenshi, awesome but how? Where did that come from? When did that happen? I want to see that happening what the fuck. How did kenshi meet suchin? How did he regain Takeda trust? And just who the fuck is erron black? I fucking love erron but the most we know of him is that he is a badass cowboy from the wild West that got his aging slowed so that he is able to keep being a badass bounty hunter. You can't just come up with a character THAT FUCKING BADASS and then not do jack shit with it, what the fuck that is a total waste. Jesus I rambled way longer than expected.

Voice acting was decent. Some of the writing was blah. The choreography was really good. As far as the plot and overall story arch, I think it was boring and hard to get into. MK X is suffering from what later seasons of Heroe's suffered from it's hard to invest yourself with characters because death is not finite and people are continually coming back. Furthermore apocalyptic risks are also not finite. So instead of being like "Oh shit he's gone forever, or Oh shit if they don't do this everything is going to be messed up!" It's more like "meh, they'll resurrect him some how or they'll fix it."

The story also seemed predictable and Kotal Kahn emperor of the outworld seems weak given that you beat him with one of the rookie kids early in the game. At least with cassie versus shinnok they went with the whole green halo thing to justify her ability to take down a boss. And even then they didn't really develop her that well as the main protagonist like they did with liu kang and previous games.

Overall I'd say the story was below average and forgettable.

GregHouse007

Noob... Saibot?
- Cassie is great and very respectful as the heritage of Johnny and Sonya. Her battle with Shinnok was lame though…. Raiden had to reach his ultimate desperation and get buffed by the Elder gods to beat Shao Kahn, while Cassie just beat Shinnok( a fallen Elder god) with her green lame aura
Uhmm No, it didn't happen that way...

Liu Kang, a simple mortal, beat Shao Kahn easily and he was going to do it again but Raiden stopped him because he said that he had foreseen him beating Shao Kahn but he was going to come back again bringing armageddon, so Raiden stopped Liu Kang (killing him) from beating Shao Kahn again.

Then Raiden LET Shao Kahn beat him so "he can win", it was no fight. Then the Elder Gods came and KILL Shao Kahn in a mismatch. Nobody killed Shinnok.

Liu Kang beat Shao Kahn without any aura or anything, just by being more powerful. Cassie/Johnny beat Shinnok with that new glowing super power, only a temporary state. It's not unreasonable.

I don't get why you were all so surprised about it, the game was pretty predictable in what was going to happen and didn't try to hide it. Right after Johnny finished telling Shinnok's story, Kung Jin made fun of Cassie for not having that superpower. I knew there that that was going to be the ending with her beating the final boss in the same way, I was just hoping the didn't have to kill Johnny/Sonya to make her "glow".

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
Parts of the story was good but parts not so much. the dialogue and cinematics were better in this than in the other game. What I felt was odd was that most of the cameos and NPCs served no purpose other than a cocktease. Rain, Sindel, Fuijin and Baraka all had major roles more dominant than some of the main roster yet were not even playable. Or maybe major roles isn't the right word but they had a decent amount of screen time. I also could not help but notice that Sindel's outfit while very similar to both her Mk9 versions it was still very heavily modified (not including the revenant yellow veins). The fishnet designs were different than that of mk9. Although...her gameplay was a straight up rip from m9. Rain seemed to have a lot of texture in his outfit. it's especially noted when he is talking to Mileena on top of the outworld marketplace.Also, If you did not already know who Sareena was you would have been like "who is this woman and why is she here?" It was also very odd to me why Jade was not even made a revenant. You would think there be at least a piece of dialogue saying why. Also, Goro, Kintaro, and Sheeva are not mentioned at all in the story yet they survived. Oh well...it was still a nice experience. I do hope we get Sareena, Rain, Fujin, Smoke and Sindel in the game as they are already ready to go and their character models look great. some of the revenants though I think could just be skins for the already playable characters. Stryker could easily be Cassie or Erron Black. I still would not mine Jade ski for Kitana either. I digress.

GregHouse007

Noob... Saibot?
1)Lot of unanswered questions

2) Why are Liu, Lao and Kitanna revenants In the story still but human on the roster.

3) How are they even still Revenants if both Quan and Shinnok or dead? What magic is still holding their souls hostage?

4) Who is the Sub-Zero we play in character select?

5) What turned Raiden dark? Why is his finger nail like claws? Lmao

6) So are Liu and Kitanna the new rulers of the Netherrealm?

7) What happen to Shang Tsung?

1) Maybe there are some but not the ones you listed

2) I think you can unlock those costumes somehow but who cares about that little detail. Roster and story are 2 different things. If you are going to complain about that then complain about goro being in the roster but not on the story or vampiress mileena costume or Predator, etc...

3) The spell turned them, it wasn't holding them. That's why they were all desperate to stop scorpion from killing Quan. He was the only who could cast the spell to turn them back. Scorpion doomed them all.

4) Again roster and story, whatever, he is whoever you want, ok? People want to play as Sub Zero, they want to play as Liu Kang and also as Kung Lao. Sindel/Rain don't have that many fans, so they aren't on the roster even though they are more relevant than Kung Lao in the story.

5) Come on, Shinnok corrupted him while he tried to restore earth to how it was. Watch the ending again and pay more attention this time.

6) Kind of, arcade endings explain it

7) He died in MK9, Shao Kahn killed him. He wasn't even mentioned in this game...

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
Nrs logic: Jade is dead so she isn't playable.
Liu Kang Kung Lao and Kitana also dead but playable with random default costumes.

Kitana has mournful variation but it's never explained that she is sad over jades death and jade isn't mentioned or even a revenant.

Rain has a new design new animations on his old moves (lightning water etc) has story motives but won't be playable but lackey reptile and ermac are...

Story was alright not as good as mk9 or injustice imo but the game is amazing
If there was ever a time for surprise dlc story chapters...

Somnuse

Noob
Smoke just gets shit on in story mode, :(

That Rain tho. Do you guys think he'll be released as a playable character? I think so, NRS wouldn't waste a potential dlc pack. If they sell easy fatalities they'll probably release a pack with Rain and make a little money.

GregHouse007

Noob... Saibot?
What makes Jacqui special so she can take on Ermac and not get merked like her dad? the other 3 have somewhat legit reasons (Son of Telepath and Shirai Ryu apprentice, Shaolin monk and Kung Lao's relative, Got JC's green nonsense which ruined the game's ending) but what about Jacqui? she's Jax's daughter and Takeda is gonna be hittin' that.. that's it! Ugh what a waste of a cool design ~__~
I think most of these "unanswered questions" or "plotholes" that I'm reading are simply the game telling a story that you guys "didn't like" and that's the reason of all the bitching.

The whole point of the game was to show how strong the new generation is. And Ermac was never a big deal really. He was overrated in MK9's cutscenes but he was beaten by a random cop there (a simple human just like Jacqui) and his "victory" over Jax was pretty much a sucker punch because Jax wasn't prepared at all and couldn't see him. The way they do stories in these games (good guys chapters only) Jax would probably beat his ass if they face each other again. Jacqui beat Kotal Kahn too, the new "emperor of outworld". That was more impressive than Ermac

GregHouse007

Noob... Saibot?
Length of story mode plz?
two and a half hours of cutscenes I think
Smoke just gets shit on in story mode, :(

That Rain tho. Do you guys think he'll be released as a playable character? I think so, NRS wouldn't waste a potential dlc pack. If they sell easy fatalities they'll probably release a pack with Rain and make a little money.
That's why I thought too.

The only reason the gave this NPC so much time in the story is to be able to sell them later as DLC. Make sense.

esc1

95% of TYM discussion: "It's fine"
Eh, it's easier to point out the negative things. It's by no means bad, but it isn't great either.

That said, tell me how the hell Goro is not in the story at all. Don't even remember him being mentioned unless I missed something. It seemed whenever I resumed the story it would skip the fight I was at and go on to the next... anyone else see that?

Every fight was set up in the middle of a huge brawl. I understand you can't have 30 some people fighting on the screen at the same time but if you are going to set it up like that at least set the stage a little.

Story is all over the place with flashbacks really only added to try and develop personal relationships.

Personally upset to get nothing on Cyrax, Reiko, or Havik. Was hoping Fujin would take over for Raiden. That record has played long enough.

Was looking forward to fighting whatever was coming out of that portal more than the final boss..

Cage stole the show for me. Best written and acted.

Rain looks polished as hell. No doubt he will be playable at some point.

KiD INsAnitY

1) Maybe there are some but not the ones you listed

2) I think you can unlock those costumes somehow but who cares about that little detail. Roster and story are 2 different things. If you are going to complain about that then complain about goro being in the roster but not on the story or vampiress mileena costume or Predator, etc...

3) The spell turned them, it wasn't holding them. That's why they were all desperate to stop scorpion from killing Quan. He was the only who could cast the spell to turn them back. Scorpion doomed them all.

4) Again roster and story, whatever, he is whoever you want, ok? People want to play as Sub Zero, they want to play as Liu Kang and also as Kung Lao. Sindel/Rain don't have that many fans, so they aren't on the roster even though they are more relevant than Kung Lao in the story.

5) Come on, Shinnok corrupted him while he tried to restore earth to how it was. Watch the ending again and pay more attention this time.

6) Kind of, arcade endings explain it

7) He died in MK9, Shao Kahn killed him. He wasn't even mentioned in this game...
You're talking about shit that wasn't even relevant to what I said.... What does Rain and Sindel fans, Goro, Predator have to do with anything I said?
Don't try to justify why NRS left some shit up in the air.... Like I said still some unanswered questions. If you're going to bitch about someone bitching atleast make sense.

GregHouse007

Noob... Saibot?
You're talking about shit that wasn't even relevant to what I said.... What does Rain and Sindel fans have to do with anything?
Don't try to justify why NRS left some shit up in the air.... Like I said still some unanswered questions.
I answered every one of your questions point by point, it's not my problem that you have nothing left with which to argue. The story has problems but not those "dumb questions" you posted LOL
People had already told you before me that you should have paid more attention to the story.

KiD INsAnitY

I answered every one of your questions point by point, it's not my problem that you have nothing left with which to argue. The story has problems but not those "dumb questions" you posted LOL
I don't see how beating around the bush and talking about Goro and Sindel fans is answering questions.
And who are you that your "answers" are even relevant?
I mean nice try I guess.
Like I said if you're going to bitch about bitching make sense...

GregHouse007

Noob... Saibot?
And who are you that your "answers" are even relevant?
LOL they are relevant because that's what happened in the story. Shang Tsung died in MK9, Raiden was corrupted trying to heal earth from what shinnok did. They needed Quan alive to cast a spell to save the rest of the revenants. Those were easy answers to dumb questions. The whole bitching because the roster's costumes doesn't match the story when you have Predator and Jason in the roster it just really dumb. But whatever, when people don't like something they complain about the dumbest things...

I overall really liked the story; played through it in two sittings. Reading the Mortal Kombat X comics, and knowing a lot of the previous timeline's story helps as well.

After the first story trailer, there was no question that Story Mode was mainly meant to set up the new generation of characters, specifically the "kids," so in that sense I got what I expected. The narrative for Mortal Kombat (2011) was more well put together, but Mortal Kombat X's has better production values.

I was completely unsurprised that Shinnok was the main villain as that was set up at the end of the last game. Kotal Khan was never meant to be a power like Shao Khan, and the current "administration" of Outworld is not blood thirsty conquering warlords like under Shao. Kotal is not as strong as Shao, but is a better "leader" that actually cares about his Realm. I thought his character was done well, and NetherRealm said several months back he is not meant to be an antagonist like Shao was.

I did find the Outworld Civil War plot to be the most interesting, and thought Mileena was exceptional in the game. I'm not surprised Goro is absent from the story, as Kotal tore off all his arms in the comics. I don't see Goro getting Robo arms like Jax.

I did not see D'Vorah's twist coming, so that was awesome. I also expected Liu, Kitana, and Kung to be "saved" since they have different skins in the roster, so that was a surprise and an interesting twist to their characters. Dark Raiden was also a great surprise.

Overall, I really enjoyed the story, and hope we're able to learn more and not have to wait until the next game, as there's lots more I want to know.