What's new

Your feelings on the story ? ( Spoilers obviously)

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
To me, Kotal is strong, but he's not THAT stong, he's no where near Shao Kahns level, and he's not meant to be. So it doesnt really suprise me that Kung Jin was able to beat him.

InFlames

dead
the ending was kinda anti climatic, shinnok finally gains his 'almighty' demon form only to be beaten by cassie

thank god for evil raiden tho, made my hype go up again

gamesun

Noob
I stated I didn't like that Mileena got killed but it was mostly that I felt it didn't have the build up I was expecting. Seriously most of the story mode was solid, felt that they had the ideas but they just needed to flesh them out.

I would would gladly pay for an extra 4 to 6 hours worth of story mode. I know I got my monies worth with MKX(the game plays fantastic) and some extra story chapters would be awesome.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
The story was alright. The cinematics were awesome. lol

Best Part: Quan Chi & Shinnock died. I've always hated both of these characters and their stupid jester looking designs.

Good: Love Cassie and her family's story and actually liked the whole new kids save the day story. Jax's Story. Liu and Lao being evil.

Bad: Sub Zero's role was... meh. Yay he redeemed the lin kuei and showed up to freeze some guys once. Woo!

ArcticTabasco

I wish I knew Kung Fu.
I think the story was OK, but there's a lot of holes in it. Like what happened with Sub-zero & the Lin Kuei vs Kotal & crew? Why exactly did Raiden turn evil? Was he corrupted by the tainted jinsei or...? Why did some of the revenants come to life again but the rest didn't? Why wasn't Fujin at the sky temple at the end? And the bit where Jin beat Kotal and his crew of turncoats still stick by his side was... meh.

D'vorah had a really good arc though. And I like the new generation and what's going on there.

And Mileena died, YES! :D I've always hated her. She's so annoying to play against!

Tremor

Pet Rock
Maybe it is my own fault for over-hyping myself prior to launch, but the story kind of fell flat for me in many ways. I was really disappointed with their treatment of Kotal and had hoped he was going to be portrayed as a more intimidating/cunning force as he was in the comics. They managed to make the main four in the SF squad look good but at the expense of every other character.

I'm not sure if they felt rushed for time or if they just ended up not liking where the plot was going when writing it so felt the need to omit but there are glaring plot holes in the story. I mean normally you can overlook a few, but it just seemed like I spent more time confused at various points in the story as opposed to interested.

Johnny Cage was absolutely fantastic in this one though, so much so that it is worth mentioning.

R0bot1cColumbus

Cybernetic Conquistador
Yea, the fact that most of the revenants stayed revenants was a head scratcher. The Sub Zero/Scorpion chapter was cool but development like that was pretty rare. And people must of really complained about the difficulty of MK9 story. The Cyrax Sektor fight toward the beginning of MK9 story was harder than anything in MKX story. Forget about comparing the Shao Kahn fights to anything.
Seriously. It took me a while to beat Shao Khan. I beat corrupted Shinnock on my second try. Bodied him. With Cassie Cage, who I hadn't picked up before or since.

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball
Anyways for story....

It felt like NRS didn't have enough time to flesh it out and some of the new characters but it was still enjoyable. I CANNOT wait to see what MK11 has in store for us. Rain has some big things planned apparently, Raiden is evil, the revenants are still revenants and ruling the Netherralm... pretty interesting.

I hated the power level inconsistencies. How are we supposed to feel threatened by a boss if they can be beaten down by anyone? The only "power" Shinnok displays is his backhand X-Ray. Other than that he feels equal to everyone else. Even during fight scenes he only seems to be able to move people slightly.. yet Jax can uppercut people across a room.

The Kotal vs. Kano QTEs were stupid too. Outworld emperor.. he should have just grabbed him by the neck and thrown him out of the little cart they were riding in.

/rant.

Still love the game.

ScreamQueen

Rockin' Sindel since '95
Can't wait for someone to mod out the QTE's, absolutely unnecessary.

I think the story had some great set-pieces and some nicely done action scenes, like the assault on Kotal's caravan (Karavan?)
But, as will likely always be the case, so many characters means a strange rationing of screen-time and some proper wacky inconsistencies in power and social hierarchy.
I prefer the MK9 story for sure, but I liked a lot of the visuals in this one, the lighting was great and really atmospheric, the transition between scenes was nicely done. Some cool body language in the mo-cap acting too and some good voice acting for a huge chunk of the cast.

I still don't buy the new-gen kids as "heroes of the day", but when you play a series for about two decades, it's sometimes hard to move your audience on.

On a fan level, I was really happy to see Sindel get a few good spots in the story, and especially to make it to the end credits, but I was really hoping for her and the other heroes to revert to their normal selves (and, in her case her true personality, something I still hope will return in this timeline)
I would really love to see the NPCs fleshed out and released as legit roster members.

Johnny Cage came across great. Really easy to find him likeable/relateable.
There is real dread in Raiden's transformation, he basically doesn't give a sh*t who or what gets annihilated anymore.
I do feel bad for Mileena fans, but take heart, there's no way your favourite fang-faced gal isn't returning at some point.
It's interesting to read how love/hate people are on various new characters.

I hope you guys are all having a rad time exploring the game :)

TL;DR: Dat Hair grappling hook.

Last edited:
- The bromance between Hanzo and Kuai , and Hanzo's Revenge on Quan Chi are the best moments in MK history ever.
- Johnny is Amazing
- Cassie is great and very respectful as the heritage of Johnny and Sonya. Her battle with Shinnok was lame though…. Raiden had to reach his ultimate desperation and get buffed by the Elder gods to beat Shao Kahn, while Cassie just beat Shinnok( a fallen Elder god) with her green lame aura
- I was hoping for Kotal to continue being all about pride and honour, but he had to fuck up of course.
- Mileena's death scene has solid.
- Takeda is a smartass lame character with a whacky design. Kenshi's son and Scorpion's student should be a million times more badass.
- Jaqcui and Ferra/ Torr boring. Especially the latter. New Baraka
- Jin and Erron much better than expected!
- Evil Raiden hype
- Since when Kitana and Liu are able to be the new emperors of the Netherrealm?
- Fujin, Bo, Rain, Baraka… sigh…
- Where the fuck is Jade, Cyrax, Noob?

purbeast

Noob
Just a quick question about Story Mode - how long does it take to complete if you just fly through it? I don't really care about the story mode in general but I just want to unlock Shinnok as quickly as possible.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I thought it was great overall. Two hours is a long time, but you cannot pack everything in.

The cinematography was great as was the voice acting.

I think one area of improvement would be to explain who Ferra Torr is (and Erron to a lesser extent). They have this completely different dynamic so it would have been good to have a chapter to introduce them as characters. Ferra Torr is such a cool concept - one of MK's strongest in ages. yet we have no clue who they are apart from a (pretty useless) lackey.

I have never liked Sonya... but I LOVED her in this. She was just so severe and I thought it was great how she was the one to split the family apart. Very unexpected. I also love Johnny. I always hated him, but now he is really lovable. Cassie is great. Best character concept out of the younger crew... All hail the new MK winner!

Scorp / Sub Zero scenes were fantastic and some of the best.

As everyone said, D'Vorah was a great villain and I was not expecting the twist in her storyline, She wasn't just a lackey like Baraka / Reptile. Hopefully she will be a mainstay of the series from now on.

Given that Kung/Liu/Kitana are in the game, it was a shame that they remained undead (which makes no sense with their costumes). I think it would have been great to bring them back, but for them to choose the dark side due to all the stuff that happened.

Kotal was great. I loved that the whole truce thing between Outworld and Earthrealm. It made it less us and them which MK sometimes devolves in to. It was great that they did not just make him some asshole like Shao Khan - he actually had depth.

Jax's chapter seemed out of place. It was the only one that served absolutely no purpose to the plot,

Would have loved to know more about the state of Edenia. What is going on? I was really interested in Mileena / Tanya / Rain but it did not get explored.

Mileena was just awesome in story mode. I really hope they bring her back and make her more badass... or even good (new Edeian princess? :) )

Kung Jin's sexuality was done really well. It was done subtlety and tactfully.

If there is a second DLC pack, it has to be Fujin / Rain / Baraka / Sindel or Bo Rai Cho

Overall it was great. There are always things that can be improved, but I was left satisfied. It is worth remembering that this is ultimitely a fighting game... the fact that we get amazing story lines out of it are amazing. You will not get anything like this in SF / Tekken etc. Thanks have got to go to NRS for creating such great characters and an immersive world!

Desperdicio

Tell me, do you bleed?
Kotal Kahn was defeated by Kung Jin, and then Jacqui, which showed how weak he was (very surprising, since he defeats Goro in the comic-books, and wages war against Mileena for the throne of Outworld). Like someone already pointed out, his servants would've killed him after seeing him humiliated like that. After all, they're bad guys, and only serve him because he's powerful. I expected more of this character.

Cassie Cage defeating Shinnok makes no sense (Liu Kang defeating Shao Kahn felt nonsensical too, though: he just didn't look that powerful).

I really liked Kung Jin. He was the deepest character from the new guys. Cassie was just a spoiled teenager.

Kuai Liang could've had a better role in the story, or at least not have his ass handled back to him by Scorpion once again. And where the hell is Bi-Han? I hoped for his return from the NetherRealm.

The defeating of Quan Chi would've been much better had it been like in the ending cinematics of MK4. Scorpion and Sub-Zero against Quan Chi. That should've been it. Kuai Liang had a lot to avenge too: Quan Chi was responsible for his brother's death! With NRS, it is always about Scorpion. Also: Sonya's beating of Quan Chi looked much more like a serious revenge than Scorpion killing him. She didn't deserve that part of the plot. Quan Chi wasn't her business. Very disappointed with that.

I liked Jax. He was the badass guy making his comeback.

Johnny Cage being more sentimental suited him.

Kenshi should've had a chapter of his own, especially since he didn't have it in MK9 (naturally, of course, since he was DLC).

Erron Black, Sub-Zero and Mileena had great voices. Wonderful job by the actors!

In terms of Cassie's (and for that matter, Johnny's) unexpected victory over Shinnok, I took it to mean that Johnny's MK9 ending was in at least a partial way canon. At least as far as his- let's call it, 'green stuff'- is immeasurably powerful but cannot be utilized to its full extent at will, at least not yet.

It answers the question of how she had enough power to defeat Shinnok, though it still leaves questions regarding the origin of the power to begin with. So really its not how she had the power to defeat Shinnok, but how her father got it and transferred it to her.

It's not so much a plot hole, as it is a left out detail (I realize thats mostly the same thing). It CAN make sense, but we don't have the proper information for it to make sense yet.

So I wanna understand this...

It takes Raiden and the help of the elder gods to weaken and eventually defeat Shao Kahn, an emperor.

But Cassie Cage, a mere mortal, defeats Shinnok, a fallen elder god turned monster or whatever the hell that was?

Somebody explain that logic plz (inb4 fighting games no logic herp derp).
Cassie merged with Nail before arriving to that fight.

dreemernj

Ambassador
I thought the production value was great. The voice acting was good. The animation was amazing. The transition from storymode to matches looked great. They had all the pieces to do something really amazing. The sound effects and music were top tier.

But the story itself, that fell short. The way they structured it to introduce the new characters and provide some backstory was definitely interesting. But the overall story didn't really go anywhere. I don't know if they have some plan for where things will go in future games and that limited what they thought they could do here. But what they did here didn't end up being too much.

It almost felt like a waste to have such great production value on a story that was kind of flat.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Cassie is awesome, and that's a fact.

I think she will be more powerful in the future.

She already killed Shujinko