What's new

Your feelings on the story ? ( Spoilers obviously)

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Yeah, many character's primary costumes aren't in story mode. Kung Lao, Kitana, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Liu Kang, Goro... I'm sure I'm missing someone.
Well considering Goro wasn't even in the story and he only has one costume I think you can see why lol.

What a

then wh was the deal with all that Goro lives stuff? It's not like they made him S+ tier.
Keep in mind, NetherRealm Studios really tried to satisfy all their fan base with different aspects of the game. Basically, there's three types of players: competitive, casual, and in-between.

One of the biggest casual requests and complaints from the last game was the lack of playable bosses. Well this game, Goro (by pre-order or purchase) and Shinnok (via unlock) are playable.

Story-wise, the last we saw of Goro was in the comics. I've only read the first volume, so four issues, but all his arms were cut of by Kotal Khan. He wasn't doing so well...

Well Raiden promised Scorpion he'd request the reincarnation of the Shirai Ryu in MK9 if he didn't kill Bi Han (which he did anyway l o l ) but that was asking for people who were already dead and whose souls belonged to the Elder Gods or whatever the MK equivalent of Heaven is. The problem is that these revenants are revenants because Quan Chi/Shinnok/The Netherrealm are in control of their souls rather than the Elder Gods so the only way for them to be reincarnated is through Quan or Shinnok. Old Kung Lao is in the game because they needed a primary costume for him that doesn't give away the story. Same reason Kitana looks normal even though she was a revenant, and Liu Kang.

Uh not true, Kotal Kahn IS a god but Shinnok is arguably not. Mileena just doesn't know how to control the amulet which is why she got burned, she just pointed it at him and shot energy at the guards rather than sucking them in to the amulet.

It could be that SOME of the Kamidogu are daggers, there's nothing to say that the other ones don't exist and that Onaga doesn't exist in this timeline. Especially considering Shujinko appears in someone's ending...
Kotal Kahn isn't exactly a god. He's considered a god by his people but he's not actually a god. (Unless you count him being a blood god because of the dagger)

Felt very rushed. You can notice they were focusing on multiplayer gameplay rather than story, and krypt and other modes also took some time.
Also, writting was kinda bad. They made many characters pussies.

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
Jade couldn't even get a cameo in the story so huge let down:DOGE. But for real my feelings are about the same as other people, felt rushed, incredibly meh, etc;. I would've liked the whole Rebellion, and Blood God arc more

Youphemism

What a

then wh was the deal with all that Goro lives stuff? It's not like they made him S+ tier.
Just marketing stuff to promote the fact Goro is playable for the first time in a while.
Kotal Kahn isn't exactly a god. He's considered a god by his people but he's not actually a god. (Unless you count him being a blood god because of the dagger)
Dude, his variations are Blood GOD, Sun GOD and War GOD. I mean he controls sunlight, and he possesses the strength to wield a giant Macuahuitl with one hand. I'm pretty sure only gods can do that kind of stuff. All the inspiration for his design and even his backstory come from Mayan and Aztec gods and I'm pretty sure Ed Boon referred to him as a Sun God at E3.

Just marketing stuff to promote the fact Goro is playable for the first time in a while.

Dude, his variations are Blood GOD, Sun GOD and War GOD. I mean he controls sunlight, and he possesses the strength to wield a giant Macuahuitl with one hand. I'm pretty sure only gods can do that kind of stuff. All the inspiration for his design and even his backstory come from Mayan and Aztec gods and I'm pretty sure Ed Boon referred to him as a Sun God at E3.
I guess, but is the sunlight stuff something unique to his race or only Kotal? I don't think it's been elaborated on but I guess he is a God in his own way. Super strength and sunlight is pretty godlike I've gotta admit

Actually, he is not a god. He's from a race called the Oshtek, and they apparently have sun powers. When Kotal was young, shortly after their race was conquered by Shao Khan, Kotal's father sent him to Earth. There, he encountered the ancient Aztecs, and to them, he was a god.

But no, Kotal Khan is not a god; he's mortal. A powerful mortal, but still mortal.

As I recall, the only actual gods in the franchise are:

- Raiden/Dark Raiden
- Shinnok
- Rain is a half god
- Fujin

I'm not sure about the son's of Argus, though I think they're half gods.

Everyone else though is mortal.

I guess, but is the sunlight stuff something unique to his race or only Kotal? I don't think it's been elaborated on but I guess he is a God in his own way. Super strength and sunlight is pretty godlike I've gotta admit
Lots of characters in the franchise are extremely strong and can control elements and other fantastic things, but they're still not actual gods despite how strong they are.

Lots of characters in the franchise are extremely strong and can control elements and other fantastic things, but they're still not actual gods despite how strong they are.
Yeah, I realize that, that was the point I was trying to make lol. I don't think Kotal is an actual god but I guess the game considers him one

also I do think that Taven/Daegon are considered half-gods

Yeah, I realize that, that was the point I was trying to make lol. I don't think Kotal is an actual god but I guess the game considers him one

also I do think that Taven/Daegon are considered half-gods
Well that's the thing, I don't think the game considers him one either. Sure, his variations are all "god" named, but he himself made a big deal about being worshiped as a god to his father when he was younger (in the comics).

In Story Mode too, Rain criticizes him for being a false god (in Chapter 2, I believe).

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I don't get why people get so upset by Cassie beating Shinnok. It is a game... in it they are all trying not to get killed and to "win" Mortal Kombat. The characters that you feel shouldn't be able to beat Shinnok may as well be sitting around drinking pleasant cups of tea rather than dying or even bothering to save the world.

How do you know that gods in this game are all powerful and cannot be defeated (which is clearly not the case)??? You are making huge assumptions about the MK universe. Gods are not necessarily all powerful and unable to be beaten - read some of the Greek mythologies where numerous gods died at the hands of humans - clearly the MK world is similar.

Well done Cassie I say... you are awesome (though I wish I could play you!!!)

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I liked it a lot, hope Fujin gets in as DLC at some point. Only gripe a little shorter than expected but other than that, awesome. Sidenote, MK still wipes the floor and shits down the throat of every other fighting game's sad excuse for a story.

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
I don't get why people get so upset by Cassie beating Shinnok. It is a game... in it they are all trying not to get killed and to "win" Mortal Kombat. The characters that you feel shouldn't be able to beat Shinnok may as well be sitting around drinking pleasant cups of tea rather than dying or even bothering to save the world.

How do you know that gods in this game are all powerful and cannot be defeated (which is clearly not the case)??? You are making huge assumptions about the MK universe. Gods are not necessarily all powerful and unable to be beaten - read some of the Greek mythologies where numerous gods died at the hands of humans - clearly the MK world is similar.

Well done Cassie I say... you are awesome (though I wish I could play you!!!)
To me personally, the story had a lot of weird power levels, like Cassie getting bodied by Torr, and Tanya, but could handle a powered up Shinnok, and an injured Takeda and Jacqui holding off Lao, Kitana, Sindel, and Liu

To me personally, the story had a lot of weird power levels, like Cassie getting bodied by Torr, and Tanya, but could handle a powered up Shinnok, and an injured Takeda and Jacqui holding off Lao, Kitana, Sindel, and Liu
Yeah, but stuff like that happened in the last game as well. Some examples that come to mind (and keeping in mind I haven't played Story Mode in a few years):

- Sonya beats Raiden
- Cyber Sub-Zero beats Goro and Kintaro
- Smoke beats Shang Tsung (as Sub-Zero) and Reptile
- Didn't Smoke body Kitana, but then Kitana whips the floor with Smoke _and_ Cage?

And let's not forget the freakout everyone had when Sindel "killed them all in the blink of an eye." She was super powered up at that point, but still.

I'm sure there's more. I personally didn't take it seriously, since who you're playing is will clearly win, and it was still fun.

For Cassie Cage, again, we don't actually know how powerful she is at the moment. She doesn't even seem to know.

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
Yeah, but stuff like that happened in the last game as well. Some examples that come to mind (and keeping in mind I haven't played Story Mode in a few years):

- Sonya beats Raiden
- Cyber Sub-Zero beats Goro and Kintaro
- Smoke beats Shang Tsung (as Sub-Zero) and Reptile
- Didn't Smoke body Kitana, but then Kitana whips the floor with Smoke _and_ Cage?

And let's not forget the freakout everyone had when Sindel "killed them all in the blink of an eye." She was super powered up at that point, but still.

I'm sure there's more. I personally didn't take it seriously, since who you're playing is will clearly win, and it was still fun.

For Cassie Cage, again, we don't actually know how powerful she is at the moment. She doesn't even seem to know.
I think Raiden was just trying to stage a diversion for her to free Jax, but I would feel much better if NRS had power level consistencies

I think Raiden was just trying to stage a diversion for her to free Jax, but I would feel much better if NRS had power level consistencies
Likely, but she still beat him :). Anyway, it's for reasons like this that the power level issues never really bothered me so much in Mortal Kombat X. I do get why others are irked by it though.

Youphemism

Actually, he is not a god. He's from a race called the Oshtek, and they apparently have sun powers. When Kotal was young, shortly after their race was conquered by Shao Khan, Kotal's father sent him to Earth. There, he encountered the ancient Aztecs, and to them, he was a god.

But no, Kotal Khan is not a god; he's mortal. A powerful mortal, but still mortal.

As I recall, the only actual gods in the franchise are:

- Raiden/Dark Raiden
- Shinnok
- Rain is a half god
- Fujin

I'm not sure about the son's of Argus, though I think they're half gods.

Everyone else though is mortal.
I know his backstory, I made the comic thread...

Shawn Ko'atal-sen already confirmed he's mortal anyway but you can see why I thought he was a god. Damn NRS for putting in false advertising variation names :(

I know his backstory, I made the comic thread...

Shawn Ko'atal-sen already confirmed he's mortal anyway but you can see why I thought he was a god. Damn NRS for putting in false advertising variation names :(
Hey that's right, you did!

But yeah, I don't take the Variation names at face value. For example Kitana's Mournful variation. Makes sense for the variation of course, but in general, the character sure isn't mournful in the story at all.