What's new

Your feelings on the story ? ( Spoilers obviously)

Why did Cassie beat Shinnok?
For the same reason Johnny beat Shinnok. She has the still-unexplained green energy.

I would take this to mean Johnny's MK9 arcade mode ending is being treated by NRS as canon in a sense. At least to the extent it described the nature of his power, that if he actually knew how to control it, he would have an unimaginable godlike strength.

For the same reason Johnny beat Shinnok. She has the still-unexplained green energy.

I would take this to mean Johnny's MK9 arcade mode ending is being treated by NRS as canon in a sense. At least to the extent it described the nature of his power, that if he actually knew how to control it, he would have an unimaginable godlike strength.
which is fucking stupid. I can buy Johnny beating regular Shinnok but Shinnok who just absorbed Earthrealms life force? come on

which is fucking stupid. I can buy Johnny beating regular Shinnok but Shinnok who just absorbed Earthrealms life force? come on
It literally says in the MK9 arcade ending, that it is an unimaginably destructive power. I mean, you see an entire city leveled because of it.

I don't think "Absorbing Earth Realm's life force" is any more defined. How strong is "Earth Realm's Life Force". It's a thing just as completely made up as green energy, I'm not sure why one should be considered stronger than the other.

As far as I'm concerned, Shinnok absorbing Earth Realm's "Life Force" isn't any different than "His power level is over 9000!"..

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8

Johnny beating Shinnok isn't too bad. It's the fact that that Shinnok manhandles everyone and gains a power boost which gave him enough power to take over earthrealm and maybe combat the elder gods just to get beaten by Cassie Cage. Such a dissapointment.

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
Hopefully tremor becomes a returning character so the black dragon has more than just kano getting his ass whooped the whole story in the next game. Factions should be replaced with realms if they return in the next game.

It literally says in the MK9 arcade ending, that it is an unimaginably destructive power. I mean, you see an entire city leveled because of it.

I don't think "Absorbing Earth Realm's life force" is any more defined. How strong is "Earth Realm's Life Force". It's a thing just as completely made up as green energy, I'm not sure why one should be considered stronger than the other.

As far as I'm concerned, Shinnok absorbing Earth Realm's "Life Force" isn't any different than "His power level is over 9000!"..
I realize that it does say in the arcade ending that it is unimaginably destructive, but so is an Elder God. In the MK4 prologue it even says that Raiden and Shinnok's battle nearly destroyed the earth. That was REGULAR Shinnok. How the hell is Cassie able to defeat an even more powerful Elder God? It makes no sense, and that's why it's fucking dumb.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8

And I think he gets that power after beating Shao Khan...
He didn't beat Shao Khan.

I realize that it does say in the arcade ending that it is unimaginably destructive, but so is an Elder God. In the MK4 prologue it even says that Raiden and Shinnok's battle nearly destroyed the earth. That was REGULAR Shinnok. How the hell is Cassie able to defeat an even more powerful Elder God? It makes no sense, and that's why it's fucking dumb.
It's dumb, but only so dumb in the same sense that Stryker doesn't just instantly kneecap everyone.

As far as Mortal Kombat logic goes, the craziness of Johnny and Cassie beating the crap out of an Elder God is par for the course, if not even more well-explained since it's expressly part of the story and NRS had to make it least some effort to explain what was going on.

I think this Dorkly video sums it up:

It's dumb, but only so dumb in the same sense that Stryker doesn't just instantly kneecap everyone.

As far as Mortal Kombat logic goes, the craziness of Johnny and Cassie beating the crap out of an Elder God is par for the course, if not even more well-explained since it's expressly part of the story and NRS had to make it least some effort to explain what was going on.

I think this Dorkly video sums it up:

It's.. really not though. I get what you're trying to say but I disagree with it. Cassie beat Shinnok because of plot armor. That's pretty much the only reason but whatever

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
It sucked. It sucked a lot. I pretty much hated it.
How is Johnny's power such a mystical thing, when he uses it... All the time?
How come Mileena didn't just bite D'Vorah when she was about to kill her? I mean, it would have been easy and fast, then she could have run out or teleported.
How come Kotal wasn't sucked into Shinnok's amulet? The beam was obviously upon him, why wasn't he even pulled forward?
Why did we only get back stories for the main 3, and no one else? Erron, Ferra, Torr, D'Vorah, Kotal, and even Jacqui got no character development or background. All we know is who they are.
There were tons of questions unanswered. Like, why isn't Jade a revenant? Who was that woman who possessed her? What did Sonya and Johnny do during years 5-24 during MKX. There wasn't even allusion to it.
What the fuck happened to Tanya and Rain? After they got beat up, we never saw them again.
Why does Scorpion have such an agenda against Quan Chi, but stayed silent for 5 years until someone else caught him... Then he shows up.
Why did no one except Jax, Kuai, Hanzo, and Johnny get released from their revenance? What about Kitana, Kung Lao, Smoke, and the rest? No one else is freed. This is inexcusable.
Who is Vera? We never even see her. Seeing her kiss Jax goodbye and telling him to bring their daughter back safely would have been better.
Where are the Kamidogu? I'm sure they're protected or something, maybe destroyed, but come on, I thought they were what were securing Shinnok's amulet.
Where is Fujin's playability? He was more important than some of the revenants.
This has been, What's Up With That: Mortal Kombat X Edition.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
It sucked. It sucked a lot. I pretty much hated it.
How is Johnny's power such a mystical thing, when he uses it... All the time?
How come Mileena didn't just bite D'Vorah when she was about to kill her? I mean, it would have been easy and fast, then she could have run out or teleported.
How come Kotal wasn't sucked into Shinnok's amulet? The beam was obviously upon him, why wasn't he even pulled forward?
Why did we only get back stories for the main 3, and no one else? Erron, Ferra, Torr, D'Vorah, Kotal, and even Jacqui got no character development or background. All we know is who they are.
There were tons of questions unanswered. Like, why isn't Jade a revenant? Who was that woman who possessed her? What did Sonya and Johnny do during years 5-24 during MKX. There wasn't even allusion to it.
What the fuck happened to Tanya and Rain? After they got beat up, we never saw them again.
Why does Scorpion have such an agenda against Quan Chi, but stayed silent for 5 years until someone else caught him... Then he shows up.
Why did no one except Jax, Kuai, Hanzo, and Johnny get released from their revenance? What about Kitana, Kung Lao, Smoke, and the rest? No one else is freed. This is inexcusable.
Who is Vera? We never even see her. Seeing her kiss Jax goodbye and telling him to bring their daughter back safely would have been better.
Where are the Kamidogu? I'm sure they're protected or something, maybe destroyed, but come on, I thought they were what were securing Shinnok's amulet.
Where is Fujin's playability? He was more important than some of the revenants.
This has been, What's Up With That: Mortal Kombat X Edition.
I think mileena wanted to die but I'll add on. Sareena mentions Bi-Han, where was he? Takeda was taking on Sindel(who slaughterd most of the adults) while taking on another revenant at the same time while injured. And lol about scorpion waiting for someone else to capture Quan. The scorpion I know would have teleported there ASAP. And reptile and Ermac are forever doomed to just be jobbers. What happened to Kano? Why doesn't Raiden restore everyone? They're like sons to him, I think he's capable, so why not? I mean why didn't Raiden just teach Johnny to harness that green energy after seeing it the first time since it's so strong? It's enough to beat Shinnok so it would have saved time.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Sareena mentions Bi-Han, where was he?

Why doesn't Raiden restore everyone? They're like sons to him, I think he's capable, so why not?
Dead, Quan had his soul and Quan died so now his soul resides in the Netherrealm. God come on this is basic shit bro learn2lore bro :DOGE

Because Raiden couldn't. The only reason the revenants that were restored got restored is because Raiden mixed his magic with Quan's and the resultant explosion only hit the nearby revenants.

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
I think Mileena wanted to die but I'll add on. Sareena mentions Bi-Han, where was he? Takeda was taking on Sindel(who slaughterd most of the adults) while taking on another revenant at the same time while injured. And lol about scorpion waiting for someone else to capture Quan. The scorpion I know would have teleported there ASAP. And reptile and Ermac are forever doomed to just be jobbers. What happened to Kano? Why doesn't Raiden restore everyone? They're like sons to him, I think he's capable, so why not? I mean why didn't Raiden just teach Johnny to harness that green energy after seeing it the first time since it's so strong? It's enough to beat Shinnok so it would have saved time.
So many plotholes.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
Dead, Quan had his soul and Quan died so now his soul resides in the Netherrealm. God come on this is basic shit bro learn2lore bro :DOGE

Because Raiden couldn't. The only reason the revenants that were restored got restored is because Raiden mixed his magic with Quan's and the resultant explosion only hit the nearby revenants.
So Bi died in MK9 then Quan got his soul? Ok got it. Do you think that Raiden could ask the elder gods to restore them? And why is old Kung Lao in the game if he's not in the story?

The story in Mortal Kombat X is not the best, but I enjoyed it and it was fun. Things are pretty open now as to where they can go with the overall story.

To answer a few questions from above posts:

- Cassie beat Corrupted Shinnok because of the "green energy." We'll need to wait it seems to find out what this green energy is, as it was never explained. Everything, even Johnny Cage's Mortal Kombat (2011) ending, is just speculation at this point.

- The green energy seems to have different power levels, and normally, Johnny's only tapping into a bit of it.

- Mileena did want to die. She was defeated, and simply wanted to be with her "father."

- Shinnok's amulet seems to only suck in gods. Kotal Khan is not a god.

- There's more character exploring going on in the comics. Hopefully we'll see more for newer characters in upcoming games.

- Questions will hopefully be answered in future games and media.

- Yup, the Edenians seem to have gone underground.

- Because after 20+ years, we should all realize Scorpion's bad at this planning and revenge thing he always obsesses about.

- Vera is Jax's wife, evidently.

- The Kamidogu are daggers now. See the comics for more, where I'm sure their fate will be revealed in a future issue.

- Bi-Han helped Serena long before the game in Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero. Noob Saibot's fate is unknown, but he was possibly killed in the soulnado in the last game.

The story could be more focused on outworld's civil war, which is a very interesting thing anyway.
Everyone backstabs everyone, Cassie is presented like more powerful than all the cast combined, Reptile n Ermac usual jobbers, Kano asswhooped, Fujin? and MKX: Special forces 2 on its finest. Oh, and Liu and Kitana become rulers of Netherrealm out of nowhere.

Kuai's and Hanzo's romance, and Hanzo's revenge on Woolay are maybe the most important moments in mk history though.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
So Bi died in MK9 then Quan got his soul? Ok got it. Do you think that Raiden could ask the elder gods to restore them? And why is old Kung Lao in the game if he's not in the story?
Well Raiden promised Scorpion he'd request the reincarnation of the Shirai Ryu in MK9 if he didn't kill Bi Han (which he did anyway l o l ) but that was asking for people who were already dead and whose souls belonged to the Elder Gods or whatever the MK equivalent of Heaven is. The problem is that these revenants are revenants because Quan Chi/Shinnok/The Netherrealm are in control of their souls rather than the Elder Gods so the only way for them to be reincarnated is through Quan or Shinnok. Old Kung Lao is in the game because they needed a primary costume for him that doesn't give away the story. Same reason Kitana looks normal even though she was a revenant, and Liu Kang.
- Shinnok's amulet seems to only suck in gods. Kotal Khan is not a god.

- The Kamidogu are daggers now. See the comics for more, where I'm sure their fate will be revealed in a future issue.
Uh not true, Kotal Kahn IS a god but Shinnok is arguably not. Mileena just doesn't know how to control the amulet which is why she got burned, she just pointed it at him and shot energy at the guards rather than sucking them in to the amulet.

It could be that SOME of the Kamidogu are daggers, there's nothing to say that the other ones don't exist and that Onaga doesn't exist in this timeline. Especially considering Shujinko appears in someone's ending...

Yeah, many character's primary costumes aren't in story mode. Kung Lao, Kitana, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Liu Kang, Goro... I'm sure I'm missing someone.

For the case of the Revenants, their "normal" primary costumes are NetherRealm's what-if's for what they'd look like if they survived the previous game.

Then everyone has their Tournament skin for the most part, an updated take on the last game's costumes with some exceptions, and then the other Revenant, story-based, or themed skins.