What's new

General/Other - Crystalline Crystalline Variation Discussion Thread

infamy23

FireBeard
B32 ~ DB2D ~ B2 ~ DB2U ~ Njp ~ b2 DB2 32% hardknockdown enough time to set shit up 45% with Oki setup
Nice one. That gave me an idea.

I've been doing b32 db2d njp f4 f121 db2 (34%)

I kinda combined your combo with mine so it's b32 db2d b2 db2u f4 f12 db2 (34%)

They do the same damage but some people may find one of them easier than the other.

lordspinalkillerinstinct

He is not my main even though i have that name
Hey note that some combo's or cancel combo's are not or only possible because of his stance but you can switch stances with a jump in 2 or just with the switch stance button.

Zaccel

Noob
I've been trying to find stuff for df3, but I'll just post my miscellaneous findings:

-Pretty much any combo ending with f121xxdf3 or 123xxdf3 is a safe Krystal setup. There might be decent options from this; you can choose to spend meter mid-combo with EX db1d, post-combo with EX dd4, or save the meter for an EX Krystal throw to blow up wakeups, jumps, buttons, whatever. A combo like b32xxEX db1d, njp, f3, f121xxdf3, Flying Boulder can approximate the damage of an EX dd4 ender, with the bonus of a Krystal onscreen if you decide not to immediately throw it.

-There might be an okay mindgame from an oki Krystal--most reversals blow up the (unarmoured) Flying Krystal, but if they expect you to block and punish them they might sit still and block--which can set up a dd4. They can avoid dd4 by jumping, but a Flying Krystal will catch jumpers.

-Not news, but the frame data is FUBAR. Flying Krystal definitely doesn't seem like -27. EX db1d doesn't seem like -12, so there may be uses for this...

-33 is interesting. Safe mid/overhead, but Crystalline's EX db1d seems safer than it says. With the threat of a low combo starter, 33/3xxEX db1d can make them guess between a low risk/reward overhead with no gaps (that guarantees a Krystal setup?), or a higher risk/reward low with a small gap. Since both options seem safe(?), this might be alright for 1 meter.

-Speaking of gaps, there might be some utility against armoured reversals during the 3xxEX db1d. I've only tested Sub-Zero and Reptile's EX slides so far, but they don't break EX db1d's armour--and enable Tremor to punish. Depending on how much meter you have, this could be really good.

-Whiffing db1u in some way might be useful to build meter, since it eats projectiles? Haven't sunk any time into this yet.

Last edited:

infamy23

FireBeard
-Not news, but the frame data is FUBAR. Flying Krystal definitely doesn't seem like -27. EX db1d doesn't seem like -12, so there may be uses for this...
I've corrected all of the frame data on his specials. I haven't looked at the numbers on his normals & strings because I just assume they are mostly correct.

Rather than type everything in here I'll just link to a screenshot of my personal spreadsheet.

S B H = Startup, Block, Hit

If there's a hyphen it's because it's a knockdown so I didn't bother testing the hit advantage.

In the notes:

OTG = Hits on the ground
HKD = Hard knockdown
SKD = Sliding knockdown. This is kind of a like a HKD but you can still tech roll.
KD = regular techable knockdown
GB = Ground bounce
L = launcher

As you can see you are correct, flying krystal is +14 on block not -27 :)

Last edited:

Wetdoba

All too easy...
So is it know that DB1 in Crystalline is actually roughly plus 1 on block and the EX version roughly plus 14? Because this variations pressure and meterbuilding is absolutely absurd using these, it's the same shit as Tempest Lao hat spin pressure but potentially better. Also D3 is plus 2 on block, and so is F121

Can't believe people said this character has no pressure when he can end everything in a move thats plus for no meter and plus double digits for a hit confirmable launcher for a bar

Last edited:

Xx-TGODPRINCE-Xx

New Patch!!!
So I Love crystalline, but I cant help but say I believe they will increase his speed a lil bit. He is a very unique character and I am def taking my losses while learning him. So does anyone else have this issue where the Kombat Kard is fked up? All I have used is crystalline and the only Kombat kard icon I have unlocked is the Metallic circle with cracks inside??? I want my diamond pyramid looking icon? Just something weird I caught.

MastererBetty

Your Tears My Strength
Just a heads up F12 and B2 are the only string that combos into Krystal Toss which turns out to be +11 on hit.

What I've been doing after a hit confirmed krystal toss is the B1 opener which after the toss turns into a 8f mid that can confirm into his oh low rock toss shenanigans

Last edited:

ando1184

Noob
I've been trying to find stuff for df3, but I'll just post my miscellaneous findings:

-Pretty much any combo ending with f121xxdf3 or 123xxdf3 is a safe Krystal setup. There might be decent options from this; you can choose to spend meter mid-combo with EX db1d, post-combo with EX dd4, or save the meter for an EX Krystal throw to blow up wakeups, jumps, buttons, whatever. A combo like b32xxEX db1d, njp, f3, f121xxdf3, Flying Boulder can approximate the damage of an EX dd4 ender, with the bonus of a Krystal onscreen if you decide not to immediately throw it.

-There might be an okay mindgame from an oki Krystal--most reversals blow up the (unarmoured) Flying Krystal, but if they expect you to block and punish them they might sit still and block--which can set up a dd4. They can avoid dd4 by jumping, but a Flying Krystal will catch jumpers.

-33 is interesting. Safe mid/overhead, but Crystalline's EX db1d seems safer than it says. With the threat of a low combo starter, 33/3xxEX db1d can make them guess between a low risk/reward overhead with no gaps (that guarantees a Krystal setup?), or a higher risk/reward low with a small gap. Since both options seem safe(?), this might be alright for 1 meter.

-Speaking of gaps, there might be some utility against armoured reversals during the 3xxEX db1d. I've only tested Sub-Zero and Reptile's EX slides so far, but they don't break EX db1d's armour--and enable Tremor to punish. Depending on how much meter you have, this could be really good.

-Whiffing db1u in some way might be useful to build meter, since it eats projectiles? Haven't sunk any time into this yet.
Just FYI if ya didn't know but in the corner ending with df3 might be a bad idea. Your opponent can use the boulder as a safe wakeup interractable too, they gain all the armor if they MB it.

@infamy23 awesome write up on the frame data thanks. Also, f12 db1d starter is easier but I listed the f121 starter because sometimes it might be harder to hit confirm the first two hits of f12. F12 and f121 is great pressure for mixups and you might catch the opponent pressing buttons at one point or another. Another option for that combo is f121, db2u, njp, f3, db2 = 26% and might be easier. The other combo I found to be more consistent if you hit the njp as your falling, have you been doing that like that?

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem
So is it know that DB1 in Crystalline is actually roughly plus 1 on block and the EX version roughly plus 14? Because this variations pressure and meterbuilding is absolutely absurd using these, it's the same shit as Tempest Lao hat spin pressure but potentially better. Also D3 is plus 2 on block, and so is F121

Can't believe people said this character has no pressure when he can end everything in a move thats plus for no meter and plus double digits for a hit confirmable launcher for a bar
Yeap. Great thing with ex is its easy to confirm for 30 damage or dd1 setup.

Its great pressure when the opponent doesn't have meter. Free pressure if you have dd1 activated even against single hitting ex moves; to cover the gap.

Db1u also covers a lot in the corner i.e. Stand/ block, jump outs and nj. Like range of d1 tip, that far from opponent.

Wish b3 has faster recovery. Cause b32 has insane range(footsies) but if the opponent catches on you will eat a ji combo cause of b3/b32 recovery and not being able to cancel to special since it whiffed :sigh:

NapalmCL

Professional training dummy
Am I the only one who thinks all he needs is B1 to be overhead and he's complete?
I don't think specifically he needs an overhead here. I think shaving off startup frames off of some of his moves would make him exceptionally better. That's it. But I suck so I don't think I hold much weight. Also maybe making B3 hit when you're not grinding up against them.

E

Eldriken

It seems like Crystalline is gonna be one dirty fucking variation. Keep this shit coming, guys. =O

Zaccel

Noob
Loving the spreadsheet, @infamy23.

Just FYI if ya didn't know but in the corner ending with df3 might be a bad idea. Your opponent can use the boulder as a safe wakeup interractable too, they gain all the armor if they MB it.
You're absolutely correct, I forgot to mention that. It's like Reptile FB setups--the closer you get to the corner, the less effective they become. Maybe that's a good opportunity to cancel with dd1 instead?

Good grief D4 DB1D got some sick range also I think 2 in 1 from his D4 is gonna be the way to go to set up safe armor and rock throw setups
I played a short set with him the other day and felt like his normals were seriously lacking--but I never even considered trying this. Definitely going to give him another chance.

MastererBetty

Your Tears My Strength
D4 is +21 in hit. It won't combo into anything but it makes all shenanigans safe.

My favorite so far is D4 Armor, DB1D and DB2D

I also started canceling B2 into DB1 just to keep safe and if EX can get 21 F121 Armor

Also EX DB1D is the truth from a non juggle string can follow up with DB2U NJP RC F3 DB2 for decent damage

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
Noticed you can use db1 cancel to make 21d4u4 and b32 safe and db1 low and mid are safe on block and ex is advantage or could be canceled for mobile armour, some good meter build off 21d4u4 and maybe some decent pressure

Last edited: