What's new

Breakthrough - Sun God Sun to receive new move in next patch

mkl

Poopbutt.
We're talking about a low meterless string.
Even with that narrow classification there's far more than 25% that can do 28% damage in the corner low meterless, with no level ups. Off the top Sonya, Quan Chi, Kung Jin, Scorpion, Tremor, Predator most likely, Ermac, Sub-Zero, Mileena, Kitana, Jason, Cassie, etc.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Even with that narrow classification there's far more than 25% that can do 28% damage in the corner low meterless, with no level ups. Off the top Sonya, Quan Chi, Kung Jin, Scorpion, Tremor, Predator most likely, Ermac, Sub-Zero, Mileena, Kitana, Jason, Cassie, etc.
Yet which one of them do 47% bnbs midscreen?

If your char archetype doesn't include catching people offguard with 1-2 mixups then 28% is just fine. I'd take a low that does 28% meterless 45% metered from a character centered around footsies and punishment.

mattnin

Noob
Looking like Blood is going to be my zoning counter pick variation. I know they probably just misspoke but they said in the stream that after a projectile parry Kotals "next hit" would get a small buff. Could you imagine if parry buff went from timed to stock? omg
What I'm interested in trying is a parried projectile and then immediately throwing an ex sunstone for possibly great damage? I've won lots of matches with Blood God and a well timed crystal buffed sunstone. Now I may get a chance to parry buff it on top of that :)

mkl

Poopbutt.
Yet which one of them do 47% bnbs midscreen?

If your char archetype doesn't include catching people offguard with 1-2 mixups then 28% is just fine. I'd take a low that does 28% meterless 45% metered from a character centered around footsies and punishment.
Ah, how many more criteria are we throwing onto this to make it seem like it isn't shitty? How many people can do this that look like Ogre? Gotcha dude. I might just edit this later to lol at proving this next set wrong. How many of those characters I listed have an actual overhead to mix with in the corner?

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
These buffs...

It seems a lot of you aren't sold on the new move but I love it. If only for the fact that you can MB it for an instant Lv3 early on in a match, at the very least. If it's as fast as it looks, you can just throw it out in the neutral against characters with no good projectiles or teleports. And it gives f34 some real use.

Honestly one of the first things you should do now with Sun God is find a way to get off a safe ex Soul Spark(that's its name apparently, even though that's also the name of one of Rose from SF's moves) so you don't have to waste time with the first two weak levels and start off doing big damage.

Last edited:
E

Eldriken

Once Kotal has his level 3 command grab, does it remain at level 3 for the duration of the match?

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Once Kotal has his level 3 command grab, does it remain at level 3 for the duration of the match?
It persists, even between rounds, until you cash it out for health or meter, if you so choose(it's actually a good idea now that you get like 18-20% HP from a three level spend)

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
A charge up move and better parry makes sun god do more in neutral. I always felt like when I wasn't attacking I was just dodging shit and waiting to attack again to try and tick or something. But with this I feel like I have a threat of leaving me alone in neutral (Which i think every grappler should have). and now he got safe pokes (which I have to play the game to see which ones they are). He might be a secondary for me now.

Oh, in a game of easy high damage. Adding somewhat tight execution (that might be punishable) and setup for midscreen bnb damage in the corner, kinda sucks. It isn't inherently bad but in comparison to everything around it doesn't look too good.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
A charge up move and better parry makes sun god do more in neutral. I always felt like when I wasn't attacking I was just dodging shit and waiting to attack again to try and tick or something. But with this I feel like I have a threat of leaving me alone in neutral (Which i think every grappler should have). and now he got safe pokes (which I have to play the game to see which ones they are). He might be a secondary for me now.

Oh, in a game of easy high damage. Adding somewhat tight execution (that might be punishable) and setup for midscreen bnb damage in the corner, kinda sucks. It isn't inherently bad but in comparison to everything around it doesn't look too good.
What do you mean? He does 90% of the same combo.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
What sun god buffs mean to me:

The recovery on his new move looks almost as good as a whiffed air throw...that is huge. Instead of whiffing air throws while dodging zoning, I can build meter and a sun level at the same time. If I already have level 3 I can use fdb1 for even more meter or life. Not to mention parry (Nightwolf thanks you)

I also don't mind having level 1 or 2 command grab cause it gives me a hkd right next to me. This means I'll be cashing out more often and switching between meter and life build. This also makes his X-ray more useful since he isn't as meter dependent...especially with a strong life lead. His X-ray tracks anywhere on screen, has armor, and hits airborne. I love using it.

His fdb1 off 114 is the exact same as air grab. Now we can switch between air grab and cash out and keep frame traps. Air throw buff now better than Grundy? Yes please. F12 safe? Thank you. No gap in b122? Ok sure! Sped up parry? Why not.

Can we now use d4 "new move" for safe level ups on hit? And tic throw on block? His overhead even got buffed.

I might be full on sun God main now...with dualist on the side.

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
I just realized that, assuming Soul Spark's frame data is the same as air throw and Soul Scorch, Sun God's corner game is now utterly insane. Say you start the chip pressure (which is inherently better because of faster b1) and have 3 sun stacks, you can cash out for meter or health and build the stacks right back up to do it again. This actually might be in semi block infinite territory, barring armor of course.

Second Saint

I thought you and MKL were talking about the f34, d1 combo path. That's what my comment was directed at. Sorry if I misinterpreted.

which move is that?
F12 is the long range shoulder charge into a punch that knocks them back pretty far on hit.

DoctorSexual

XBL: DoctorSexual PSN: Osh-Tek
What I'm interested in trying is a parried projectile and then immediately throwing an ex sunstone for possibly great damage? I've won lots of matches with Blood God and a well timed crystal buffed sunstone. Now I may get a chance to parry buff it on top of that :)
Oh damn yeah. Even if it means trading.

Second Saint

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Yes it is. Chip pressure is improved we think due to new move
Safe knockdowns always sound sexy. Kotal definitely getting that bench spot. Now i just need to figure if he's second or third.

Yeah, that's the string. And have a look at this thread to understand the kind of chip damage he can do in the corner. Keep in mind that every 1 and b1 is also a potential tick throw.

http://testyourmight.com/threads/sun-god-vs-quan-chi-100-chip-damage-setup.53416/
I actually remember visiting that thread when it was first posted. Just forgot since I only recently been putting more time into Kotal.

Thanks, just from revisiting that thread I think we now block "infinite" the entire cast until we run out of meter.
Is this guess work for the new sun build move? Is there a safe way to cash out on block?

Thanks to everyone for answering my questions.

Second Saint

Thanks, just from revisiting that thread I think we now block "infinite" the entire cast until we run out of meter.
See, that's what I'm wondering. Will we run out of meter? If the metered soul scorch got a corresponding percentage increase (50%) to the health version, then 3 stacks is around 75% of a bar isn't it? That combined with the large amount of meter this already builds could make it go for a LOOONG time.

Second Saint

Safe knockdowns always sound sexy. Kotal definitely getting that bench spot. Now i just need to figure if he's second or third.

I actually remember visiting that thread when it was first posted. Just forgot since I only recently been putting more time into Kotal.

Is this guess work for the new sun build move? Is there a safe way to cash out on block?

This is really just a working hypothesis on how Soul Spark may be used in a similar manner to air throw and soul scorch based on its observed fast recovery and start up. If so, it is cancelable from 114 and slightly plus.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room

This made me think about being +4 and attacking with a true mid 9F B1.

No normal in the game that can interrupt it. I need to check which backdashes get tagged by B12.

Ones that do must take the entire B1 and guess on when to poke or armour, if you're in the corner and you do B122 ex sunstone instead of B12 e.g you cash in 35%+.

Pnut

Mouth of the Illuminati
This made me think about being +4 and attacking with a true mid 9F B1.

No normal in the game that can interrupt it. I need to check which backdashes get tagged by B12.

Ones that do must take the entire B1 and guess on when to poke or armour, if you're in the corner and you do B122 ex sunstone instead of B12 e.g you cash in 35%+.
Im excited for what you come up with. I have my ideas floating around too. I'll be using Sun God exclusively for the foreseeable future.