What's new

Tech - Quan Chi Quan Chi combos and tech

gibster13

A fan of fans
I thought to create a new thread for Quan Chi for his combos and tech. Post as you will. Quan Chi hype!!!

gibster13

A fan of fans
In terms of Quan Chi's wake ups it is obvious,from ketchup, he doesn't have very good ones.

Yet Quan Chi's ex teleport gives him a hit of armour so this seems to be his goto move.

I worry he will be free to characters with a strong knockdown game.

Quan also seems to have amazing zoning with all variations. So it seems to play him you have to space and zone.

Last edited:

sIllverback

Lin Kuei Grandmaster
Sorcerer
Midscreen:
Meterless: B324, B12xTrance, JiP 141, Rune (The rune in these setups doesn't cancel, but only far advancing specials/projecticles can hit you on wakeup, afaik)
F2122, Run, B12xTrance, dash, nj2, F142, Rune (Same as above)

Meter: F212xECBxRun, B12xTrance, JiP 141, Rune
B324, nj2, EBxRun, B1xTrance, 141, Rune

Corner:
Meterless: B324, nj2, B12xTrance, 21xRune (This actually cancels and is a hard knockdown, but due to the slow recovery, opponent can wakeup before you can react. That being said, there's often enough time to at least block. So a viable option may be to train the opponent to wake up, block and punish. Then when they don't wake up, start your pressure after the rune.)
F2122, nj2, B12xTrance, 21xRune (Same as above)

Meter: F2122, nj2, B12xTrance, F2122, Enhanced Throw (into corner, whichever direction, leads to free 50/50)
B324, nj2, B12xTrance, F2122, Enhanced Throw (same as above)

Warlock (haven't had as much time with this or summoner)
Midscreen:
Meter: B324, B12xTrance, JiP F212xStab (As @@gibster13 mentioned above, Stab leads into 50/50 with B2xECB and B324)
F2122xRun, B12xTrance, dash, F212xStab
F2122xRun, B12xTrance, dash, 12 1+2enhanced, B1xStab
(2 meter, not sure if worth it, but it works)

Figured I might as well just move my post to this thread as well. And in regards to the playstyle, I think Warlock Quan can be played like MK9 Quan. Basically, you fish for an opening into trance, reset into Stab, into 50/50, into combo into another Stab. Rinse and repeat. Sorcerer I haven't had any real luck with regards to practicality. His recovery on his spells are just so damn slow. Summoner, on the other hand, is stupid fast. That bat is like no joke.

gibster13

A fan of fans
Hey, a combo I found with Quan Chi, it's quite usefull in all the variation :) It's a good stuff to set up the dd3 at the end of a combo. You can do this type of combo with all the starters of Quan Chi.
By Dr Jackal

I thought that the kick, he does at the end of the combo, will give enough time to get Puggles out in the summoner variation. This will keep pressure and also it should be able to put Quan Chi at a reset opportunity. I think that it will work but i have not tested this quite yet but i will and post it here.

Ninequads93

Beware your Fears
hey i used quan in pre release tourney bcuz of no Shinnok came up with b124 nj2, run 12 1+3 mb b1 (i believe the sword) trance etc.

gibster13

A fan of fans
I finally got my hands on Quan Chi. The combos i found are applicable to all variations.

j2 b324 b23 trance 141
This combo gives enough time to get out puggles or any spells because the 141 is a hard knockdown far away from Quan
Low starter- -b324 b23 trance 141
overhead starter-- b3 EX ground burst trance 141

I think these are the inputs :D

I also found that you can summon puggles in a trance and continue the combo. I even did this against my friends Erron Black,who i beat 5-1. I can say that Quan Chi has the best zoning i have seen in a while

I'm sorry if these are the wrong inputs. I will change them if needed soon

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Did some digging and I found a 35% meterless combo.

Mid-Screen; JI2, b324, b12, trance, ji2, f2122, run cancel into grab.

You can end the combo a couple of different ways, but that's the biggest combo I could find without spending meter. I'm going to re-check and see if I can get a hard knock down as a ender to summon Puggles lol.

sIllverback

Lin Kuei Grandmaster
Yeah, Puggles can be summoned during trance and you actually have enough time (if I tested it correctly) to go into the F2122 string. B324 works in the corner as well but depending on how far away the opponent was when you tranced, they may not walk towards you enough to be in range. Shorter combos before trance should allow B324 to connect midscreen after Puggles. This means you can do stuff like:

F2122xRun, B12xTrance, Puggles, F2122~Low Bat (delay slightly), X-Ray - This combo is swaggy as hell, but 45% for 3 meters may not be worth it. If it kills go for it.

F2122, B2xTrance, Puggles, B324~Low Bat (delay slightly), F142, Puggles - This combo doesn't push the opponent back so far which allows the B324 to connect mid-screen, the low bat pops up into the F142 which knocks the opponent 3/4 screen giving free bat pressure.

I know for a fact there's more, but there's too many for one man. I'm sure if we all work on the variation, it might end up being one of the best zoning (if not the best) zoning variation in the game. Thoughts?

Edit: I'm also starting the story now, so my updates won't come as fast for the time being. I'm definitely going to finish it today, so I can get back into the lab with Quan later this afternoon/tonight.

Last edited:

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Yeah, Puggles can be summoned during trance and you actually have enough time (if I tested it correctly) to go into the F2122 string. B324 works in the corner as well but depending on how far away the opponent was when you tranced, they may not walk towards you enough to be in range. Shorter combos before trance should allow B324 to connect midscreen after Puggles. This means you can do stuff like:

F2122xRun, B12xTrance, Puggles, F2122~Low Bat (delay slightly), X-Ray - This combo is swaggy as hell, but 45% for 3 meters may not be worth it. If it kills go for it.

F2122, B2xTrance, Puggles, B324~Low Bat (delay slightly), F142, Puggles - This combo doesn't push the opponent back so far which allows the B324 to connect mid-screen, the low bat pops up into the F142 which knocks the opponent 3/4 screen giving free bat pressure.

I know for a fact there's more, but there's too many for one man. I'm sure if we all work on the variation, it might end up being one of the best zoning (if not the best) zoning variation in the game. Thoughts?

Edit: I'm also starting the story now, so my updates won't come as fast for the time being. I'm definitely going to finish it today, so I can get back into the lab with Quan later this afternoon/tonight.
I know the feels. You can cancel the b2 and have a combo similar to the last one you listed, but it isn't as damaging.

b2, trance, summon, f2122, low bat, f142, which will allow you another summons at the end.

Does anyone have any pressure strings on block yet? Any KD set ups as well? I am currently at work otherwise I would be trying to unlock this.

babalook

Noob
so if you do trance into puggles into a move that has good advantage on hit, can't you go for a overhead into puggles or low into puggles for an advantage on block 50/50.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
If timed right you can actually send pugs low and air drop practically at the same time lol. It's a 2 hit combo for 16% damage, but it's tricky to time. Also, since wake ups can be stuffed without meter, you can run cancel into b2 and send Puggles low if blocked lol. The good thing about this is that most of Puggles attacks are very positive on block, so you have time to throw out a 50/50, grab, cancel a string for more frame advantage. Puggles is a beautiful thing lol.

Black Chapters

Legend of Legaia Main
If timed right you can actually send pugs low and air drop practically at the same time lol. It's a 2 hit combo for 16% damage, but it's tricky to time. Also, since wake ups can be stuffed without meter, you can run cancel into b2 and send Puggles low if blocked lol. The good thing about this is that most of Puggles attacks are very positive on block, so you have time to throw out a 50/50, grab, cancel a string for more frame advantage. Puggles is a beautiful thing lol.

sounds like he is

how many attacks does he have, the low, a mid and what?

Quan cheese full screen game in summoner is insane. His fireball fall frame traps into ex rune, which is plus and frame traps into another rune, in conjunction with the assist mechanics and insane recovery on them it'll stronger than Freddy was. They can try and jump but a regular stance switch with the bat will anti air and can be confirmed into ex trance or runes. He has like three different frame traps at full screen which opens him up to re spamming summon. He can also make his tp stomp safe and extend his pressure with it by filling in gaps very similar to sinestro.

He also can easily get 25%ish damage from full screen. Summoner us extremely versatile in my opinion.

A simple ex fireball can open up the use, if only his instant air wasn't nerfed he'd be ungodly