What's new

Tech - Quan Chi Quan Chi combos and tech

If timed right you can actually send pugs low and air drop practically at the same time lol. It's a 2 hit combo for 16% damage, but it's tricky to time. Also, since wake ups can be stuffed without meter, you can run cancel into b2 and send Puggles low if blocked lol. The good thing about this is that most of Puggles attacks are very positive on block, so you have time to throw out a 50/50, grab, cancel a string for more frame advantage. Puggles is a beautiful thing lol.
I personally feel summoner is easily going to be his bnb variation. I think sorcerer may have utility to counter mobile chars with armor. Warlock maybe interrupt zoning well, I esp. Like his f3, but I think summoner is adequate for counterzoning.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I'm not sure the sword stab 50/50 is that godlike. Couldn't you achieve the same goal by ending in mb throw?

sIllverback

Lin Kuei Grandmaster
I'm not sure the sword stab 50/50 is that godlike. Couldn't you achieve the same goal by ending in mb throw?
Stab does more damage. I don't know about advantage though. It looks as if they can't do anything but block until you hit them or they fall. With MBThrow theres only slight advantage.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
If you're talking about the b2/Puggles 50/50, no it's not godlike, but B2 is easily punishable on block, so that makes it a little safe.

Rude

Stab does more damage. I don't know about advantage though. It looks as if they can't do anything but block until you hit them or they fall. With MBThrow theres only slight advantage.
MB Throw is more than slight advantage. It grants you a 50/50. At least, that is how the mechanic has been described to work. I don't see the difference in doing portal stab over the throw. You're spending the bar either way.

Rude

If you're talking about the b2/Puggles 50/50, no it's not godlike, but B2 is easily punishable on block, so that makes it a little safe.
No, but i wondered if you could use max range b2 into mb rune for max safety + hit confirmable launch?

AK Toxic

Graphic Designer
Anyone have some tips on running and running cancels? Just having trouble landing the inputs.
It's ff(hold) bb to cancel run, correct?

Also:
F2122 B2 Trance J2 B324 28% Meterless, 30% with JiP

Last edited:

Stevie Steelz

I break muthaf****s...
Found a vortex in summoner that's plus on block. Will post vid tonight
I wanted to ask you, because I never played with Quan Chi in MK9. What was the "Rune Trap" thing that he had, and do you see him having anything remotely similar to that in this game?
Found a vortex in summoner that's plus on block. Will post vid tonight
Question, because I never played with or against a Quan Chi player in MK9. What exactly is the "Rune Trap", and do you see anything similar to that in this game?

ImmortalSkillit

SteeevRay
F2,1,2,2 - F1,4 ~ Trance. From here,

NJP, step 1,2 1+2 (28%, can be enhanced to continue string!)
NJP, step B3,2,4 (28%)
NJP, step B3,2~En.Portal Grab (1 bar, 30% with standing reset/vortex)

Anyone have some tips on running and running cancels? Just having trouble landing the inputs.
It's ff(hold) bb to cancel run, correct?

Also:
F2122 B2 Trance J2 B324 28% Meterless, 30% with JiP
quoute from tom bradys bas guide: Running allows you to quickly advance while being able to cancel out of your run at any point with an attack, block, crouch, or forward jump. Run speed varies from character to character. Running is done by quickly inputting Forward, Forward + Block. Your stamina will deplete as you run. You also cannot begin to run without at least one full bar of stamina. Run can also be cancelled with a Back Dash but this does require an additional bar of stamina meter on top of the stamina used during the run. If you attempt to cancel your run with a back dash but do not have enough stamina, your character will cancel out of run with a back walk instead of a back dash.

AK Toxic

Graphic Designer
quoute from tom bradys bas guide: Running allows you to quickly advance while being able to cancel out of your run at any point with an attack, block, crouch, or forward jump. Run speed varies from character to character. Running is done by quickly inputting Forward, Forward + Block. Your stamina will deplete as you run. You also cannot begin to run without at least one full bar of stamina. Run can also be cancelled with a Back Dash but this does require an additional bar of stamina meter on top of the stamina used during the run. If you attempt to cancel your run with a back dash but do not have enough stamina, your character will cancel out of run with a back walk instead of a back dash.
Thank you. So do you have to back step in order to cancel? Or do you know if you can start a string to end the run?
Just as a general question

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
I wanted to ask you, because I never played with Quan Chi in MK9. What was the "Rune Trap" thing that he had, and do you see him having anything remotely similar to that in this game?

Question, because I never played with or against a Quan Chi player in MK9. What exactly is the "Rune Trap", and do you see anything similar to that in this game?
He had an unblockable move he could loop 3 times for free with a certain string. He has some great pressure in this game but nothing as damaging and as epic as the rune trap

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
We're going to have a lot to discover across 3 variations. I'm grateful we're all exploring different variations. I've been playing Summoner and feel like I've barely scratched the surface.

Rude

My focus has been on Warlock, but will shift to Summoner.

Remember when people thought Warlock was a bill?

Cosmos

Noob
Some Warlock combos that seem pretty decent. Midscreen b324 njp b2xxmbcloserune b2xxtrance 12 1+3 38% 1 bar. Corner b324 njp b12xxmbcloserune b12xxtrance 12 1+3 41% 1 bar. These combos should work with other variations just substitute the ender with 21 bat or 21 set rune.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"

Thought I'd share some of my Summoner Quan findings with you guys!

Nothing fancy, just me sitting with the training mode and going over a few things.

Areas mentioned:

Zoning
Corner Game/Vortex
Anti Air

Hope you see some stuff you didn't know about! Sorry fi some of this is similar to Dink's tech, I'm not sure what he's found. Haha!

Messing with summoner and have a few things to add as far as combo, pressure, 50/50. @PND_Ketchup nice vid btw, I don't have the game so I can't do such wonderful things lol.

So far it has been most effective to me to summon after hitting a trance. This goes directly into 50/50 with his high or low starter that you can easily confirm into combo OR block string to make yourself safe. Although the dummy will not block your "combo" after you trance summon, a live player can hold block. So treat this method as more of a reset. What summoner offers is safe pressure and mixup without having to spend meter until they block correctly.

Example F2122 run 14 Trance Summon.

At this point you can do quite a few things to hurt the opponent.
1. If they do not have meter then do B2 Skyfall + Low bat. It is a very hard to blockable and the only successful solution I have seen so far is Armor through or breaker. Catches back dash etc. However the success does not lead back into summon. The next 4 options do on hits.
2. If the do have meter then just go for low starter or overhead and delay the puggles mid attack for safety or hitconfirm. If they are cornered use the B3+4 for more stable hit and higher combo potential.
3. Throw. Always good to mix in throw to re position.
4. 4 kick. If they are mashing on throw this gives you a huge plus on hit and lets you layer on more mixups.
5. F212 Hit confirm or safe block string. You also reserve Puggles for one more string or mixup.
6. B2 Puggles Throw is a decent frame trap and cannot be thrown if you just want to throw in something random but I do not like the option much.

Things to know about Puggles and Neutral.
1. You can resummon as soon as it explodes for easier reload.
2. All attacks except Command throw can be done at any time while not blocking.
3. If he is out you can uppercut anti -air, 3+4, ex Trance to loop back to summon or go for damage.
4. He gets very little from meterburn inside combos, using rune burns are the only way Quan Chi can get in and remain safe.
5. Neutral jump Punch is as godlike as his D2.

Not much new stuff but I hope it helps someone that play him. *sorry its late so I had to watch the vid without audio*

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Messing with summoner and have a few things to add as far as combo, pressure, 50/50. @PND_Ketchup nice vid btw, I don't have the game so I can't do such wonderful things lol.

So far it has been most effective to me to summon after hitting a trance. This goes directly into 50/50 with his high or low starter that you can easily confirm into combo OR block string to make yourself safe. Although the dummy will not block your "combo" after you trance summon, a live player can hold block. So treat this method as more of a reset. What summoner offers is safe pressure and mixup without having to spend meter until they block correctly.

Example F2122 run 14 Trance Summon.

At this point you can do quite a few things to hurt the opponent.
1. If they do not have meter then do B2 Skyfall + Low bat. It is a very hard to blockable and the only successful solution I have seen so far is Armor through or breaker. Catches back dash etc. However the success does not lead back into summon. The next 4 options do on hits.
2. If the do have meter then just go for low starter or overhead and delay the puggles mid attack for safety or hitconfirm. If they are cornered use the B3+4 for more stable hit and higher combo potential.
3. Throw. Always good to mix in throw to re position.
4. 4 kick. If they are mashing on throw this gives you a huge plus on hit and lets you layer on more mixups.
5. F212 Hit confirm or safe block string. You also reserve Puggles for one more string or mixup.
6. B2 Puggles Throw is a decent frame trap and cannot be thrown if you just want to throw in something random but I do not like the option much.

Things to know about Puggles and Neutral.
1. You can resummon as soon as it explodes for easier reload.
2. All attacks except Command throw can be done at any time while not blocking.
3. If he is out you can uppercut anti -air, 3+4, ex Trance to loop back to summon or go for damage.
4. He gets very little from meterburn inside combos, using rune burns are the only way Quan Chi can get in and remain safe.
5. Neutral jump Punch is as godlike as his D2.

Not much new stuff but I hope it helps someone that play him. *sorry its late so I had to watch the vid without audio*
I would never recommend using skydrop as your overhead. Go for B2 instead. Far less punishable and puts you in a better situation when the bat lands.

Skydrop is easily one of the worst moves in the whole game.