What's new

Kombat Tomb Podcast - Episode 45

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
since was so much talk about weed at end.
ive only ever gone to one tourny not off my face and it didnt go well at all lol

@FireBreather has given me the nickname bubbles, for thats all you generally hear when im in a party chat playing

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
"We'll edit that out..."

Still not edited out.

Speaking of which, Slayer was using D3 to anti air Fox into those conversions, not D4.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
This character is just flying under everyones radar since the games launch.
SSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Also idk why the OS still works. It might be because no move comes out on block but a special can come out on hit.

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
I love how KTP has become just as much about Star Wars as MK at this point. :D

I agree with @Slips the most though, only thing I'd say is that after watching them again I think A New Hope holds up the least. Empire and RoTJ are great though.

I think the reason people like Episode 3 the most is because 1 and 2 are pure unwatchable shite. Episode 1 has one good scene, Episode 2 is painful though. I'd rather watch a transformers movie than that shit.

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
I love how KTP has become just as much about Star Wars as MK at this point. :D

I agree with @Slips the most though, only thing I'd say is that after watching them again I think A New Hope holds up the least. Empire and RoTJ are great though.

I think the reason people like Episode 3 the most is because 1 and 2 are pure unwatchable shite. Episode 1 has one good scene, Episode 2 is painful though. I'd rather watch a transformers movie than that shit.
I'm super into Star Wars at the moment. Hype levels for the new movie are off the charts. I'd expect a lot of SW talk in the coming months.

I'd rank them as follows:

Empire
New Hope
Revenge of the Sith
Return of the Jedi
Attack of the Clones
Phantom Menace

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
I'm super into Star Wars at the moment. Hype levels for the new movie are off the charts. I'd expect a lot of SW talk in the coming months.

I'd rank them as follows:

Empire
New Hope
Revenge of the Sith
Return of the Jedi
Attack of the Clones
Phantom Menace
I'm cautiously optimistic about Episode 7. I'm most intrigued by where Luke is going to be at that point in the story and the state of the Jedi as a whole. I'll probably stay well clear of it though and just see it when it comes out, I like going in not knowing a lot.

And Tremors is a tight movie, shame on Dave for not picking that as Tremor's favourite movie lol

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I rank star wars this way best to worst

Return of the Jedi (perfect ending,
Something that is incredibly hard to do)

Empire strikes back

Revenge of the Sith (despite some extremely shitty vader parts I liked the overall tone of this one as well as emperor scenes)

New Hope

Attack of the clones (f ing garbage)

The phantom menace (being forced to watch this is like what I'd imagine a prison rape would feel like)

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Also for Kenshi talk/discussion I have nothing left to say other than this "djt uses him" talk is horseshit

When he goes to a major and uses him 100% and not just a match call me . In fact last time he used him I believe he lost.

There's a large reason why no one mains Kenshi because he's garbage .

Also this "pig cry wolf" shit is pretty annoying when I don't think I've ever been wrong when I said a character was garbage or top 1-5.

MUs I have been wrong on or exaggerated.

Anyway I don't have anything else to say on the subject nor care to

M2Dave

Zoning Master
M2Dave's propensity to frame literally everything in the "zoners vs anti-zoning scrubs" sense is almost impressive.
It is impressive because it is true.

Rush down players are also the biggest hypocrites in the NRS community. They played Injustice and demanded better movement and offense. They were given better movement and offense in Mortal Kombat X. They enjoy breaking down opponents with easy 50/50 mix ups. But when the easy 50/50 mix ups are performed on them, they immediately cry and demand normalizations.

The following is a genuine quote from a hypocritical rush down fool.

Hypocritical Rush Down Fool said:
They should make it where Summoner Quan cant call the bat once trance is active. And maybe beef up the frames on regular skulls and just make him a zoner. Wouldn't hurt his other vars and make Sorcerer/Warlock better.
In other words, this hypocritical rush down fool would like to turn Quan Chi into Cybernetic Kano.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Revenge of the Sith being better than any of the original trilogy is deplorable. I actually felt unwell leaving the theater after seeing it. It was terrible. People were cracking up watching it, at how comical some of the "serious" scenes played out.

I will say, massive props to Wound. He took on King in his home (literally), with all his friends around him cheering him every hit, using a character that was recently nerfed significantly, against possibly the best character ATM and pulled it out. He had everything going against him, and proved everyone who doubted him as a player wrong. I could not speak more highly for what he did.

Now for @General M2Dave I have a bone to pick with you. I will admit MKX is an offense heavy game, that is something that is apparent to anyone that is at least in a semi-concious state and a pulse. However, Quan's and HQT zoning should not be downplayed. You make it sound as though the zoning of these characters is a small, 8 point font bullet point under the list of the characters tools. This is not true, and in some matches is just as much a strength as their offense. You cannot deny that often large chunks of life will be taken from the opponent zoning with these two characters. Sure, you cannot win entirely based on this strategy due to the nature of the game, but these characters zoning tools are not just above average, they are great.

Also one last note. I believe one person briefly touched upon it, maybe Slips, but predators armor is heavily, heavily downplayed. It is slow, but the damage is massive, and is many many leagues above quan chis EX teleport drop. To note this move also has a fairly nice hitbox, catching low profile moves, which makes it viable as a yolo/read move if you wanted to use it that way, as well. While predators armor can be broken with specific strings often, it will still beat lots of 50/50 attempts, aside from characters like Cassie that cancel into moves like flipkick that are very fast. Normally, to break his armor you have to use a high, fast jab string design specifically for this purpose. For nearly all chars you are sacrificing your mixup to go for this. So to beat his armor, you have to actively avoid doing a mixup, such as 50/50 or throw. This is something significant that is ignored. If you disrespect his armor, you can lose 40% and be switched sides into the corner. Definitely not something you can just say "well it's pretty slow" and write it off.

Awesome podcast though, I love KTP.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Revenge of the Sith being better than any of the original trilogy is deplorable. I actually felt unwell leaving the theater after seeing it. It was terrible. People were cracking up watching it, at how comical some of the "serious" scenes played out.
People regard the "suit scene" as comical because of the "no" yet Luke yells "no" in a similar fashion in the scene below in episode 5, and people consider the scene as one of the most iconic in all of Star Wars. If anything is comical, it is the nostalgia and bias for the original trilogy. The objective of the prequel is to recount the life of Anakin Skywalker and show how he turned to the dark side of the force, and the movies do a decent job. All this nitpicking is pointless.

GGA Dizzy said:
Now for @@General M2Dave I have a bone to pick with you. I will admit MKX is an offense heavy game, that is something that is apparent to anyone that is at least in a semi-concious state and a pulse. However, Quan's and HQT zoning should not be downplayed. You make it sound as though the zoning of these characters is a small, 8 point font bullet point under the list of the characters tools. This is not true, and in some matches is just as much a strength as their offense. You cannot deny that often large chunks of life will be taken from the opponent zoning with these two characters. Sure, you cannot win entirely based on this strategy due to the nature of the game, but these characters zoning tools are not just above average, they are great.
Predator's and Quan Chi's zoning game complements their offensive game. The fact that the zoning leads to offense is key. Cybernetic Kano and Mournful Kitana have very good zoning too, but nobody cares because they have limited offensive capabilities. Even if Cybernetic Kano drains half your life with nothing but knives, all top tier character can easily make up the life lead with one safe mix up. Whereas Cybernetic Kano's zoning would be solid in a game like Mortal Kombat 9, it is irrelevant in this game because it does not set up any threatening offense. I am certain you played 16 Bit's Mournful Kitana at some point. You should know what I am talking about.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
This was an epic podcast I must say, first one I have listened to as well. Best parts were the use of MK related terms in the discussion of politics and other shit:

@Slips said that republican candidates kept "spamming the same shit" during the recent debates, LOL

@General M2Dave said that if you went to the moon, you would keep "getting zoned out by small rocks" floating around up there.

Good shit gentlemen.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
You might be right, I just don't think any of the characters Fox uses can use their meta 1 game to compete with Predator's meta 1 game to win and I think that's what he's been trying to do.

Watching Wound you saw he had done his research in a matchup that looks like it is controlled by Predator. He spaced himself perfectly out of d4 range and played the game where it was most advantageous to him. Punished blocked d4's and armored through d4~low shot. Did a great job handling Predator's discs and pressure. This isn't something we've seen Fox or even the Yomi guys doing so far and I think that needs to be pointed out.

I'm not trying to downplay @Burger King's tournament wins, I think he's a great player and have always respected him. But need I remind you this whole thing started because King, Pig and most of Yomi said Wound was a fraud and only won because of BS Shinnok. I think it's only fair King gets a few jabs thrown at the legitimacy of his tournaments wins now as well.
Before you read this I want you to know it's kinda long so sorry lol. Also some of the things I say may sound harsh or insulting but I don't mean them to, they may just come off the wrong way so apologies if you're offended by anything I've written. I respect your opinion as a top player of course.

I'm sorry but between you thinking Sonic is the best player in the game yet insinuating he hasn't learned a matchup in 3 weeks and suggesting the characters he plays can't use their tools to deal with Predators it just looks to me like you're finding excuses to appease fanboyism. But no offence, I'm not saying it is that I'm just saying that's how it looks. I'm sure you can see why I think that right? You can't say he's the best player then go on and say he hasn't learned a matchup in a moderately decent period of time, doesn't work both ways. And as for saying Kitana, who has a projectile reflect as one of her main tools in Royal Storm, and Erron Black, who has an advancing armoured move that travels 3/4 of the screen, can't deal with Predator's meta I just think that's unrealistic. Predator also struggles once he's knocked down and Erron Black of all characters can take advantage of that in some of the best ways.

In saying all of this though I can see what you're saying, Wound displayed a good knowledge of the HQT matchup and maybe there are things others could be taking advantage of in the matchup that aren't being taken advantage of. I can't point them out specifically because I'm no Predator expert but I'm sure there are things to be taken advantage of. But even then Sonic mained Hunter so he would have had a good knowledge of Predator at a basic level already before the first time he lost to King, never mind before the second time, although it is a different variation so he might not be familiar with everything.

I do think all people should have their fair share of criticisms, I'm just noticing a lack of consistency in this community is all. I personally don't think King losing one FT10 outside of tournament is enough evidence to scrutinize his wins, especially since he hasn't actually ran into Cowboy in tournament yet. I think once they do, if they do, then we might have a better talking point for that. I don't know if it's fair to say Wound wasn't only winning because of Bone Shaper because he's still using him and won with that variation in the money match (I'm not saying he only won because of BS btw, just making a point). King and the rest were wrong about Wound though and they will need to hold that.

I think the real question is this (and this is not aimed at you Slips this is just a general community thing): Why is it that when Sonic is winning noone suggests other players aren't playing the matchup optimally but the SECOND he starts losing it's suddenly "oh well Sonic must not be playing it properly/must not have learned the matchup"? He's always outplaying his opponents when he wins but his opponents are just taking advantage of his lack of matchup knowledge when they win? I hardly think that's fair on other players and seems super biased.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
People regard the "suit scene" as comical because of the "no" yet Luke yells "no" in a similar fashion in the scene below in episode 5, and people consider the scene as one of the most iconic in all of Star Wars. If anything is comical, it is the nostalgia and bias for the original trilogy. The objective of the prequel is to recount the life of Anakin Skywalker and show how he turned to the dark side of the force, and the movies do a decent job. All this nitpicking is pointless.

Predator's and Quan Chi's zoning game complements their offensive game. The fact that the zoning leads to offense is key. Cybernetic Kano and Mournful Kitana have very good zoning too, but nobody cares because they have limited offensive capabilities. Even if Cybernetic Kano drains half your life with nothing but knives, all top tier character can easily make up the life lead with one safe mix up. Whereas Cybernetic Kano's zoning would be solid in a game like Mortal Kombat 9, it is irrelevant in this game because it does not set up any threatening offense. I am certain you played 16 Bit's Mournful Kitana at some point. You should know what I am talking about.
I get what you mean, but I think their zoning compliments them perfectly, often forcing chars to use their stamina to get into an optimal range in any timely fashion. In predators case specifically, his optimal footsies range is often further then his opponents, which also is a huge boon. As a player of a character with decent zoning, if I can force an opponent to use stamina to close distance, I find that a nice advantage.

Also I should point out that I do agree with you on something, Quan Chi has been getting way more hate than other top tier chars on this forum for some reason. Sure he's OP, a strong candidate for top 5, but people ignore other top also OP characters in favor of concentrating their hatred solely on Quan.