What's new

Video/Tutorial - Summoner Beta Quan! Buffs and Normalizations!

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
It was actually extremely obvious that he was just saying the vortex Quan used to have is still there if he lands a combo with a bat already out. Not trying to redefine the word vortex.

Pumpkinholes

steady mobbin
All im saying is that if beta is the patch for quan he becomes unviable for pretty much each variation, less so with warlock. But watch and see, trance and not being able to call bat makes summoner 50% less of a threat, and he still has no wakeup option. Nrs said quan isnt top tier anymore and stop playing him. I mean u can deal with reality of be delusional quan chi fan and get mopped by me

God Confirm

All im saying is that if beta is the patch for quan he becomes unviable for pretty much each variation, less so with warlock. But watch and see, trance and not being able to call bat makes summoner 50% less of a threat, and he still has no wakeup option. Nrs said quan isnt top tier anymore and stop playing him. I mean u can deal with reality of be delusional quan chi fan and get mopped by me
According to the OP he DOES have a wake-up option now?

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
Anyone else think Quan's zoning might be improved? I just picked him back up after dropping him for a while, and it seems to me that the extra mind game you get from being able to delay the mb rune might be worth the diminished frame advantage. It's still +7 if you delay I think, and you weren't doing much with +14 at that distance anyway. Also no one is armoring through the gap when you are zoning because you won't be in range anyway.

Pumpkinholes

steady mobbin
i consider it unviable, but that other dude ur talkin about wont use it as a wakeup cause he knows its punishable and everyone expects it

God Confirm

i consider it unviable, but that other dude ur talkin about wont use it as a wakeup cause he knows its punishable and everyone expects it
So it's not good enough to be an armored wake up because its punishable on block? Fucking level up, sorry but just because you play Quan doesn't mean you never have to make a read ever. Safe armored specials are few and far in between, and most of the best wake-ups are completely unsafe (Lao Spin) so you should get that out of your head. If they expect it and are blocking, you get to wake up and start pressuring or 50/50

Goat-City

Banned

When standing into purple spell the opponent loses meter when hit by trance as well!!!!!!! .....COOOOOOOOOL
If trance turned purple it would be cool, but as long as it doesn't it makes no sense. This still doesn't make the meter spell useful anyways, at least that's my initial common sense impression.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
First off, vortex in its true definiton meant a HKD mixup that lead to a HKD. That definition has since been misappropriated (as has been the case with a lot of FGC terms) to mean any mixup that loops into itself. If it doesn't loop continuously then it's not a vortex. Saying he has a meterless vortex is objectively wrong. Saying that it's a vortex at all is also wrong because you don't have infinite meter, ergo it can't loop into itself ad nausem. Unless you have the meter to kill, it's a mixup. Please use the word correctly next time.
Quan does have a meterless vortex off d3 that can loop continuously into itself across all variations

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
I'm enjoying Summoner Quan a lot more after the normalisations. It feels much more rewarding and less derp to play him now.

The only nerf I really question is the additional damage scaling. I don't think that was necessary on top of the other big nerfs he received. Now that he can't get bat out in combos AND his damage scaling was increased, his BNBs do like 1/3 less damage. - I can't remember any character receiving such a dramatic damage reduction. He's gone from one of the highest damaging characters to one of the lower ones (I think). My mid screen bnb (b2, ex rune, trance, f2122, 141) does like 29% for a bar. For a character with his defensive options I think that's a bit too low.

The only buff I would ask for is more hit advantage on his d1. When his offense was insane, I think +3 on hit was the right level. Now, I think it would be fair for him to have a less pathetic d1 - at least +10 or +11 on his to guarantee his low option on hit. At a bare minimum, I think at least a +8 to guarantee a dinky d1. I think he should get a little more reward for patiently sitting and waiting for an opening to poke back, given that his offense is a lot fairer now and he still has the worst armor in the game. At the moment, it seems like you are still in a pretty bad guessing game in some matchups after a hit d1.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
So, I want to preface this post by saying that I'm by no means the best player ever, but I wanted to give my impressions on Quan after the nerfs.

After playing with him all day, I think he's still very good. Most likely A tier from S+. The Trance duration has thrown me off a bit with combos, but otherwise it's not bad.

The post MB Rune meta seems like it plays out like this: At -1, you can d1 check anyone without a 6 frame d1. The full delay gives you a free d1. If they block it, while you could get punished in theory, I find it doesn't happen in practice often.

Anyway, because most players will wait for the d1, you can throw, 50/50, walk back, etc. You could also bait armor.

If the d1 hits, you either do d3 if they don't respect the +3, or you bait armor or walk back. Walking will be implemented more for whiff punishing in the future after d1 on hit or MB Rune, imo.

The zoning doesn't feel that much different. Skull blocked full screen still guarantees rune, and while MB Rune doesn't guarantee far rune check, if they run you can still do Skull or mid rune. It simply requires

Tweedy

Noob
Quan players be like "Ah its -1 down from +17, i'll rework some combos"
KungLao players be like "HOWTHEFKFLK ITS ONLY +7 down from +20 POS GAME IMQUITTIN"
Well it was +12.

From the outside, as someone who has probably never loaded up practice mode or a game as Kung Lao, it's easy to say "lawl 5 frames how is that bad".

At +12 his two main block strings, 11212 and b321 had to be respected. Now he can only follow up with F2 or D4, unless the defender REALLY respects those 2 moves, which deserve no respect. F2 can't be extended into a combo since you have no hat on your head. Obviously D4 can't start a combo. Neither jail btw, both can be armored.

You might say "well, you get hit advantage if you land either of those", sure I do, but they could just backdash, they could armor, they could block them, or they could even just jump. So what a non-50/50 character with bad pokes gets for a bar now, is a mind game that isn't really that advantageous at all. Before the mind game was SOOOOOOOOOOO in Kung Lao's favor. His weaknesses didn't matter, you could just grind people out with EX hat mind games + orbiting hat set ups. The jailing and respected blockstrings are all gone.

Quan still has 50/50s, the ability to make 50/50s safe, a 6 frame jip, a 5 frame njp, a vortex. All things to open people up that Kung Lao lacks. The only mix up that Kung Lao has is D4/B2; even that can be fuzzy guarded lol.

Possible response.....

"Kung Lao still has the orbiting hat set up bro. He doesn't just have to space someone out to open them up every time."

True, but throws did get nerfed, so now it's even harder to get anything going with orbiting hat set ups in the corner.

Kung Lao is the most nerfed character by far. He went from top 1, to a very fair character. Can't expect people who played a character that was so OP for so long, to not be a little butthurt about this. lol

Shaikhuzzaman

magicmeerkatman
Well it was +12.

From the outside, as someone who has probably never loaded up practice mode or a game as Kung Lao, it's easy to say "lawl 5 frames how is that bad".

At +12 his two main block strings, 11212 and b321 had to be respected. Now he can only follow up with F2 or D4, unless the defender REALLY respects those 2 moves, which deserve no respect. F2 can't be extended into a combo since you have no hat on your head. Obviously D4 can't start a combo. Neither jail btw, both can be armored.

You might say "well, you get hit advantage if you land either of those", sure I do, but they could just backdash, they could armor, they could block them, or they could even just jump. So what a non-50/50 character with bad pokes gets for a bar now, is a mind game that isn't really that advantageous at all. Before the mind game was SOOOOOOOOOOO in Kung Lao's favor. His weaknesses didn't matter, you could just grind people out with EX hat mind games + orbiting hat set ups. The jailing and respected blockstrings are all gone.

Quan still has 50/50s, the ability to make 50/50s safe, a 6 frame jip, a 5 frame njp, a vortex. All things to open people up that Kung Lao lacks. The only mix up that Kung Lao has is D4/B2; even that can be fuzzy guarded lol.

Possible response.....

"Kung Lao still has the orbiting hat set up bro. He doesn't just have to space someone out to open them up every time."

True, but throws did get nerfed, so now it's even harder to get anything going with orbiting hat set ups in the corner.

Kung Lao is the most nerfed character by far. He went from top 1, to a very fair character. Can't expect people who played a character that was so OP for so long, to not be a little butthurt about this. lol
That's exactly what he said. Unwilling to adapt

There are two other variations as well if you were wondering

Last edited:

God Confirm

So, I want to preface this post by saying that I'm by no means the best player ever, but I wanted to give my impressions on Quan after the nerfs.

After playing with him all day, I think he's still very good. Most likely A tier from S+. The Trance duration has thrown me off a bit with combos, but otherwise it's not bad.

The post MB Rune meta seems like it plays out like this: At -1, you can d1 check anyone without a 6 frame d1. The full delay gives you a free d1. If they block it, while you could get punished in theory, I find it doesn't happen in practice often.

Anyway, because most players will wait for the d1, you can throw, 50/50, walk back, etc. You could also bait armor.

If the d1 hits, you either do d3 if they don't respect the +3, or you bait armor or walk back. Walking will be implemented more for whiff punishing in the future after d1 on hit or MB Rune, imo.

The zoning doesn't feel that much different. Skull blocked full screen still guarantees rune, and while MB Rune doesn't guarantee far rune check, if they run you can still do Skull or mid rune. It simply requires
Do you have the beta? What do you think of his new wake-up? this is like my millionth time asking in here, I don't have beta so I don't know how good it is

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Do you have the beta? What do you think of his new wake-up? this is like my millionth time asking in here, I don't have beta so I don't know how good it is
It's faster for sure, but to be perfectly honest I'm so used to not using it that I forget its an option. Ill try to incorporate it more.

I did use it once vs our local Lao only to have it stuffed, but Lao can stuff all kinds of wake ups.

I'll give more feedback as I keep playing

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
It's faster for sure, but to be perfectly honest I'm so used to not using it that I forget its an option. Ill try to incorporate it more.

I did use it once vs our local Lao only to have it stuffed, but Lao can stuff all kinds of wake ups.

I'll give more feedback as I keep playing
I've been spamming it like crazy to test it and my current impression is that he still has the worst armor in the game but the gap between his armor and other armor is smaller. Before it was a complete waste of bar and would never work now it has its uses and it's probably moderately worse than Predator?

Any actual armor breaking attempt still easily breaks it (i.e., a lot of characters' st 11 string), but there are fewer situations where I feel like my opponent wasn't even trying to break the armor but did it by accident.