What's new

MK11 Johnny Cage General Discussion

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Jade is cancer in this matchup, you can't touch or punish her and she just does whatever she wants even with the amplified fireballs not whiffing.

She just walkback spam d4 and random staff moves until you throw yourself out the window in game or in real life, then she wins either way.

kevkopdx

Noob
Haha ya I’ve played a few jades that have no shame in turtling, it really is an impossible matchup if they know what they’re doing.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Yeah man I’m thinking about joining the lin kuei
Iv been really enjoying Sub man. Not to turn it into a SZ discussion but I don’t think he’s top tier (not that really anyone does anymore) but he has the tools he needs. You’ll like having crushing blows, two good and useful variations, and a game plan that you can use on more than 6 characters.

I like Johnny too you guys but it feels like a waste of time practicing him. If they don’t fix his bugs in this first patch I would seriously urge you guys to drop him. Because even if they get fixed later, the game will be over half through its life cycle and it’ll be too little too late when you coulda been using a better, fully functioning character. I played SZ through the entirety of Injustice 2 when his main pressure tool in MB burst only worked on 8 characters and sometimes Cheetah whenever the NRS gods decided to let it work (spent hours trying to find a way to make it work on her consistently, it just doesn’t). That however was one move on a character with an otherwise usable tool kit, Johnny has entire strings whiffing AND his MB pressure tool (which is actually pretty similar in application to what MB burst was in Injustice, except not as good). Fuck doing that again, not worth the effort, have fun machine gunning D4 and watching your throws be teched

Edlaw

Noob
I dropped Johnny and I don't even play kompetitive mode. Like bruh wtf he doesn't even have cheap shit outside of his tournament variations.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
I've been using Hunker Down Jax much more as of late. He reminds me of the old MK9 Johnny. I still use Johnny primarily against the likes of Liu Kang, Geras, Sub and Scorpion. I needed something to deal with Erron. The Erron matchup already suffers from whiffing issues but just his tools shit on ours for the most part IMO. With Jax I can really abuse his weak wakeup game and actually be a threat with staggers. Also he cant Scud Shot the Ground Pound I think. But Erron in general is kind of a "fuck neutral" character. He just big boots his way in.

I can still abuse Kang's limited range, same with Geras and Sub to an extend even though b1 is a good normal. Johnny works excellent in these matchups. Nothing's free but at least he works in these matchups. I've been working on my pocket Reborn Scorpion for lame ass Cetrion, Jade and Skarlet. Reborn is fucking broken lmao. I dont know what they talk about over at the Scorpion camp but this character is STUPIDLY good. People think normal Hellport is a "fuck neutral" move - the cancel is braindead as hell LOL. It's a free throw for a bar each time

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
God damn it fellahs everybody jumping ship?!? I refuse to let go, I may be fighting with my wife on a daily basis since KL started and yelling at my kids for no reason other than the fact that this character isn't allowed to play MK11 but I'm not letting go. Bring on the divorce and child support I'm a Johnny Cage main for Christ's sakes.
I’m still a Johnny main, but only until Ash and Terminator come out. I just enjoy the way Johnny moves. The only character that I feel moves in a similar fashion is Jax. But fuck playing as him.

I've been using Hunker Down Jax much more as of late. He reminds me of the old MK9 Johnny. I still use Johnny primarily against the likes of Liu Kang, Geras, Sub and Scorpion. I needed something to deal with Erron. The Erron matchup already suffers from whiffing issues but just his tools shit on ours for the most part IMO. With Jax I can really abuse his weak wakeup game and actually be a threat with staggers. Also he cant Scud Shot the Ground Pound I think. But Erron in general is kind of a "fuck neutral" character. He just big boots his way in.

I can still abuse Kang's limited range, same with Geras and Sub to an extend even though b1 is a good normal. Johnny works excellent in these matchups. Nothing's free but at least he works in these matchups. I've been working on my pocket Reborn Scorpion for lame ass Cetrion, Jade and Skarlet. Reborn is fucking broken lmao. I dont know what they talk about over at the Scorpion camp but this character is STUPIDLY good. People think normal Hellport is a "fuck neutral" move - the cancel is braindead as hell LOL. It's a free throw for a bar each time
I just started using Jax as an alternative to Cage, today was my day 1. His rushdown is fun as hell, I was thinking of using Kollecter too since he has some interesting mixups.

D

Deleted member 35141

So far I have played cage 75% and jax 25% since launch and its funny my win% is a little bether with jax and I have barely any knowledge of the character like I do with Johnny.
Sub and liu were other characters I though of playing cause I played them alot in mk9 and mkx just behind Johnny and kenshi, but I find them really boring imo in this game.

Honestly if only whiffing issues were fixed for Johnny I believe he would top tier just below s tier.

Its weird because in one sense, you can tell they cared about the way he developed the character himself i.e. his design/gear/fatalities and story but on the other hand made him so flawed with hitboxes lol shoutout to all yall sticking with Johnny !

heildan

NANI?!
I always loved playing Cage. His style, his goofiness. He has heart.
The problem is, I don't know how they did let these things go into the final build of the game. Its like playing a different game when you pick any of the true mid or upper tier characters, as ""flawed"" as they can be.

The first time I picked Hunker Down Jax, I was able to wreck the shit out of people. Could do combos, damage, he has nice strings, has a good neutral, it was an easy experience. The strings and specials linked so well into each other. The command grab also has a nice reach, even if my opponent is kinda far I could still end my juggle into it and it would work. Also, lots of Krushing Blows, which you don't need at all, but it's there, just in case you need to resort to them.

When we pick Johnny we gotta play the footsies game. Alright, not that hard, except half of the roster has good advancing mids, teleports or fucking zoning tools screaming "I don't care for neutrals".

I might be downplaying him a lil' bit, but to this day I still don't know how people can be outplayed by Cage in this game. All you have to do is block low and be pacient and ready to tech throws. The player will simply commit an act of madness out of frustration, since its kinda difficult to open people up with him. People just have to learn that you can't respect Cage and he'll be damned. His moves are going to whiff, he will try to open you up with that ranged low move, but whatever, throw your advancing moves at him and win the shit out of that trade.

Still, I refuse to stop playing Cage. Guess what, I like to suffer.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I always loved playing Cage. His style, his goofiness. He has heart.
The problem is, I don't know how they did let these things go into the final build of the game. Its like playing a different game when you pick any of the true mid or upper tier characters, as ""flawed"" as they can be.

The first time I picked Hunker Down Jax, I was able to wreck the shit out of people. Could do combos, damage, he has nice strings, has a good neutral, it was an easy experience. The strings and specials linked so well into each other. The command grab also has a nice reach, even if my opponent is kinda far I could still end my juggle into it and it would work. Also, lots of Krushing Blows, which you don't need at all, but it's there, just in case you need to resort to them.

When we pick Johnny we gotta play the footsies game. Alright, not that hard, except half of the roster has good advancing mids, teleports or fucking zoning tools screaming "I don't care for neutrals".

I might be downplaying him a lil' bit, but to this day I still don't know how people can be outplayed by Cage in this game. All you have to do is block low and be pacient and ready to tech throws. The player will simply commit an act of madness out of frustration, since its kinda difficult to open people up with him. People just have to learn that you can't respect Cage and he'll be damned. His moves are going to whiff, he will try to open you up with that ranged low move, but whatever, throw your advancing moves at him and win the shit out of that trade.

Still, I refuse to stop playing Cage. Guess what, I like to suffer.
Imagine if brass knuckles was actually easy to get out and longer lasting. Mix that with no whiffing and you’d never need to open someone up. You just beat the hell out of them on block.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
Sitting at a 58/40 right now, and to think I was 32-9 at one point feelsbadman. At least your win/loss ratio doesnt matter too much ranking up. It's just an insta loss against Skarlet and Cetrion. Skarlet's neutral is SO DAMN good. She's so hard to shimmy, decently fast long range normals with pushback or they're cancelable into specials with pushback. I think I could do something with forceballs working.

And then we have Sonya .... Her d3 beats throws, some mids and shit. This character is soooo fucking busted.

But is Error puts it, he works well when he works!

So far I have played cage 75% and jax 25% since launch and its funny my win% is a little bether with jax and I have barely any knowledge of the character like I do with Johnny.
Sub and liu were other characters I though of playing cause I played them alot in mk9 and mkx just behind Johnny and kenshi, but I find them really boring imo in this game.

Honestly if only whiffing issues were fixed for Johnny I believe he would top tier just below s tier.
Everything except B3 and F4 are highs. They're not whiffing, your opponents are just neutral ducking constantly and trying to land a cheap uppercut. Fixing the hit the boxes would only help with force balls during your pressure. They can still jump backwards after the second one is blocked. I disagree with Cage becoming top tier after a hitbox fix. It compliments only one aspect of his gameplan. Even if the shadow kick had a crushing blow it's still a high, very unsafe, and easy to see coming. I wouldn't worry about Cage getting better with rightful buffs. You have characters like Geras, Sonya, and Cassie that will just fuck your shit up at any range.

Might be off topic a bit but do most you guys use monitors? Did it improve your gameplay a bit? Like I know damn well I’m fuzzing stuff but can’t tell if it’s the opponents internet or if it’s because I’m playing on tv.