What's new

General/Other - Smoke XL Robo Smoke Discussion Thread

SO... I believe sub zero GM to be the worst match up for smoke by far. Anyone disagree? how do you approach the match up?
I approach it by switching to my old main, no armor to bust out, the teleport just puts you right into the clone, if you are midscreen you have b21 and a few other options but once you are in the corner its fucked.

smokeport either needs hella armor, ex tele needs to travel further, or make invisibility work as shake/ex shake if you hold x so we have a wakeup parry.

Matix218

Get over here!
@Matix218 and anyone else who was looking for some smoke gameplay heres some from my offline session at Pig's house last night. It starts at 5:32:00 on the archive. https://www.twitch.tv/streamofthehut/v/54325471

I know theres a lot of things i still need to work on but i felt pretty comfortable for the most part.
Thanks Smarr

I just watched the whole set and you definitely gave me some good ideas of how to approach playing smoke outside of just the vortex.

I appreciate it man!

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
Thanks Smarr

I just watched the whole set and you definitely gave me some good ideas of how to approach playing smoke outside of just the vortex.

I appreciate it man!
And that Air Throw meter building, full screen? Not "neutral game," but interesting nonetheless.
Same here- have the vortex, but my basic neutral/footsie game is lacking.

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
he has several, this is the last thing im worried about, im trying to get off the damn floor vs an opponent who knows how to stuff teleport everytime
EX Phase or EX Teleport? Teleport has no armor, at all, you'll get stuffed. Regular Phase is easily stuffable, as well.

Noob
Holy crap, iv been with Smoke and Cysub since their launch and i gotta say they are super fun to play but their D1s and D3s have got to be the gimpiest most short ranged piece of cow manure iv have ever seen in my life. holy crap ill go as far as saying that they have probably the worse set of crouching pokes in the game, everyone has either a better range or frames....

OmegaXF

Booyah!
Someone said 114 leads to free EX smokebomb, which jails into more pressure.

Short video

*114~db1EXf, f21, delay fade towards*

*114~db1EXf, f13~fade towards*

11(4) can be armored but honestly not gonna happen all the time.

Last edited:

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
his wake up game sucks. when youre in the corner it's game over. please NRS give the teleport some armor.
His wakeup game is actually very strong. People are downplaying phase as a wake up and a get off me tool when its just about everything you could want for this character.

Armor on his teleport would literally shoot him to a top 5 character IMO when hes already very good.

shura30

Shura
the wakeup teleport is one of his best tools
everyone trying to dial on wakeup is going to eat a full combo, once they realize that, smoke only has to poke back after blocking a single hit

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
This is a bit gimmicky, but I've been having success using it...

Condition your opponent with B21, or B21~phase or B21~whatever. Once they get what you're up to, space yourself correctly and do B2, short pause, B1~Smokebomb.

The opponent tends to crouch block, knowing no matter what happens they'll either block, or down poke the phase. I caught friends even after I told them what I was doing. They just cant help but crouch block.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
So can Smoke use regular phase to get through gaps in combos or do I have to use exphase? I managed to pull off a regular phase against a Shinnok and was surprised.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
So for a lot of characters defeating smokes teleport on wake up is as easy as a safe meaty poke.

For example liu Kang can do a d3 on wake up.. If I block it he's plus.. If I wake up he can b1 or f213 on reaction.

Works for a lot of characters. Once the meta pans out idt smoke will be able to wake up easily.

Dont get me started on dive kicks auto correcting either lmao