What's new

General/Other - Smoke XL Robo Smoke Discussion Thread

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
See a lot of posts in this thread about unsafe 50/50. Smoke bomb is -6, which is pretty much safe for nearly everything, so any starter into smoke bomb is safe.

For an ender I use his teleport (mainly for damage), it leaves you neutral but at a range that a lot of characters can't match you for fast attacks at this range. Not ideal but as I said for when you need/want damage.
Smoke bomb is not safe, especially during the vortex. If the opponent guesses right, they can armor right through it.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
See a lot of posts in this thread about unsafe 50/50. Smoke bomb is -6, which is pretty much safe for nearly everything, so any starter into smoke bomb is safe.

For an ender I use his teleport (mainly for damage), it leaves you neutral but at a range that a lot of characters can't match you for fast attacks at this range. Not ideal but as I said for when you need/want damage.
Not at all buddy. Nothing jails into sb, leaving it free to armor. The sb is safe itself, yes, but the mixup isn't.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
Not at all buddy. Nothing jails into sb, leaving it free to armor. The sb is safe itself, yes, but the mixup isn't.

Have you noticed a glitch where randomly f4, f4d1 and 114 will jail into regular smoke bomb?

I've only had it happen a few times while I was in training rooms. I shouldve recorded it.

f24

Don't F*** with a God
You are mistiming it then. If you are +2 and use a 7 frame d1. That leaves a gap of 5 frames (7-2=5). There are no normals that start up in 5 frames and if they did, you would trade with them. So the person would need a 4 frame move to beat out your D1. Pokes at that speed belong in Street Fighter lol. Throws iirc are 10 frames, that means you'd be leaving a gap of 8 frames. Throws can beat moves that are still in startup so that means when you are mashing throw, the person isn't pressing their poke at the correct time.
I've definitely been poked out after gonig for a d1/d3 as well. But most of the time it works so it's probably an online thing/execution error.

Matix218

Get over here!
Anyone have any good match videos with smoke that they could post? Im really struggling to grasp the best way to approach the neutral and full screen game with smoke and I want to see what others are doing.

f24

Don't F*** with a God
Anyone have any good match videos with smoke that they could post? Im really struggling to grasp the best way to approach the neutral and full screen game with smoke and I want to see what others are doing.
BeyondToxin is a pretty good smoke.

jokey77

Character Loyalist
I'd like to have another topic discussed, now that some time has passed.

Smoke has one glancing weakness. He lacks an advancing mid.

b2/f2 have a horrible hurtbox and usually lose in every trade. Especially b2 leads to nothing while the range of f2 sucks.

Theoretically I expected his meta to be like: 1) jump backwards. 2) harrass with smokebomb. 3) once they jump catch them with ex teleport. 4) once cornered flip sides with b21~smoke away. 5) repeat. :)

However run-ins keep catching me off guard. Besides I can hardly capitalize from projectile trades, but more often than not I have the opponent drop right next to me and get up, while I am still in the hitstun of his projectile...

How do you guys work around the lack of an advancing mid?

I started going for many late JIKs lately. The blockadvantage works great; kick has decent air-to-air-priority too...

EMPEROR PRYCE

I'd like to have another topic discussed, now that some time has passed.

Smoke has one glancing weakness. He lacks an advancing mid.

b2/f2 have a horrible hurtbox and usually lose in every trade. Especially b2 leads to nothing while the range of f2 sucks.

Theoretically I expected his meta to be like: 1) jump backwards. 2) harrass with smokebomb. 3) once they jump catch them with ex teleport. 4) once cornered flip sides with b21~smoke away. 5) repeat. :)

However run-ins keep catching me off guard. Besides I can hardly capitalize from projectile trades, but more often than not I have the opponent drop right next to me and get up, while I am still in the hitstun of his projectile...

How do you guys work around the lack of an advancing mid?

I started going for many late JIKs lately. The blockadvantage works great; kick has decent air-to-air-priority too...

Idk man... B2 IMO is one of the best whiff punishers in the game

EMPEROR PRYCE

Really? I find it to be really slow , f13xxsmoke could is my go to whiff punisher
But f13 can't whiff punish from the same ranges b21 can. Also b2 leaves smoke away from the opponent, whereas f13 puts him closer.

Idk tho, everyone plays characters different

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Is anyone playing around with EX-Spear? There has to be some use for the thing. I really dont understand what the point of it is.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Creating true block strings while remaining 100% safe.

Damage scaling is kinda shitty on it tho
So if they block a string correctly and expect smoke bomb you can throw out EX spear on a read and be safe and catch them when they try to jump out or armor.

In the current Smoke meta, I cant see doing this. Talk about a waste of bar. I hope we find a different utility for it altogether.

jokey77

Character Loyalist
I dont know about b2. Most strings are multihitting and even when they whiff their 1st hit it is still risky to use f2, bc you might get caught by their 2nd hit. I prefer using f3 for whiff punishing, but I already got punched out of it as well.

Ex Spear might also work for corner carry, but I wouldn't consider it too useful either.

Last edited:

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
I've had equal success/failure with B21 so far. I don't think it's bad, it just has better utility in certain situations.
I've had it whiff after Smoke teleports and the opponent is whiffing an advancing string. And if I'm trying to get in on the opponent, they may whiff a button with quick recovery and poke my re-appearance, or armor.
This could be me just not using it correctly, always. Idk yet.
Equally, I've used it successfully to get in and as a safe block string.

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
Also, F4D1 as an advancing mid string. 10f, and -3 on block. Few low profiling issues, sure, but Kano's B13 and Mileena's B12 (Cyber/Piercing) can be subject to that, as well. (My former main chars.)

Last edited: