What's new

General/Other - Smoke XL Robo Smoke Discussion Thread

Redux

Ex Phase
So for a lot of characters defeating smokes teleport on wake up is as easy as a safe meaty poke.

For example liu Kang can do a d3 on wake up.. If I block it he's plus.. If I wake up he can b1 or f213 on reaction.

Works for a lot of characters. Once the meta pans out idt smoke will be able to wake up easily.

Dont get me started on dive kicks auto correcting either lmao
you can even punish phase with lius f1 if you time it right with this setup.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
I've really been using the hell out of 213 and 21 b3. It's such a great mix up to use, especially given the ability to set stuff up after 213.

I suggest you guys try it. It can't be fuzzied easily, 213 is true block string, they can armor thru the b3 though. Although if they attempt to armor and you 213 they will get hit out.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
I've really been using the hell out of 213 and 21 b3. It's such a great mix up to use, especially given the ability to set stuff up after 213.

I suggest you guys try it. It can't be fuzzied easily, 213 is true block string, they can armor thru the b3 though. Although if they attempt to armor and you 213 they will get hit out.
How safe is is 213?

Wolverine32

PSN: ADM_Wolverine
So I've been seeing a lot of people mention Smoke's "shake" move from MK9, I wasn't deep into fighting games until MKX and don't know what the move is or does. So I'm wondering why so many people would like this move to return to MKX. If anyone could fill me in that would be greatly appreciated so I know what everyone is talking about.

Wolverine32

B1 might be my biggest gripe about this character too. Sometimes, I can do the B1 up close on a crouching male and it will combo into Bomb.

Other times it simply just doesn't work. Kinda wish it was just consistent but I imagine it has all to do with the speed of SB moreso than B2.
As long as you don't become predictable depending on your meter, I use b1xxEXdb1, all the time unless they're in the corner just to ensure a connection. But anyone knowledgable and well versed in the MU will know if your mid screen without meter you'll most likely go low with b3xxdb1. Also ending the combo with the 213 set up leaves you in perfect range for a meaty back one if your opponent doesn't have meter to armor on wakeup, and the meaty b1 will connect with a raw smoke bomb if it lands.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
So I've been seeing a lot of people mention Smoke's "shake" move from MK9, I wasn't deep into fighting games until MKX and don't know what the move is or does. So I'm wondering why so many people would like this move to return to MKX. If anyone could fill me in that would be greatly appreciated so I know what everyone is talking about.
If I remember correct it was a move that if hit by a projectile cause Smoke to instantly teleport to his opponent and give a hard knockdown

Matix218

Get over here!
I mained smoke in mk9. His shake was a projectile parry where if you saw a projectile you could input shake on reaction and it would hit smoke, not do any damage and cause smoke to automatically teleport to hit the opponent. You could also enhance the shake by using a bar which would also make it parry mid or high normals and throws, but lows/low pokes would still beat it.

Wolverine32

I mained smoke in mk9. His shake was a projectile parry where if you saw a projectile you could input shake on reaction and it would hit smoke, not do any damage and cause smoke to automatically teleport to hit the opponent. You could also enhance the shake by using a bar which would also make it parry mid or high normals and throws, but lows/low pokes would still beat it.
I should have stayed in my ignorant bliss, that would be sick to have.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
I could also be dash cancelled

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Smoke could use the hit frames of b1 2+4 MB like ketchup's missile set up to turn invisible if they decide to give him this it would be awesome.

As for mb invisible I only use it midscreen after a combo ending in air throw.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
What the hell am I supposed to do against grand master?
I'm fine with bad match ups, but this one isn't just bad. It's horrendous. GM holds all the cards and you better pray you don't get cornered because there is no way out. Not one.

Matix218

Get over here!
I'm fine with bad match ups, but this one isn't just bad. It's horrendous. GM holds all the cards and you better pray you don't get cornered because there is no way out. Not one.
Yeah this matchup is basically if you get cornered it is over. Obviously phase is not going to beat clone and we have no armor option and if you just get up and block even if you guess right and don't get hit the sub can just cancel the string into another clone and you are still in the same situation.

This is why I wish that ex teleport had armor, because at least you would have one armor option (that is still hella risky and minus a million on block) but you could at least have something.

shura30

Shura
This is why I wish that ex teleport had armor
still, the problem would remain
the armor would be at the startup, where smoke is still away from the clone

buff exSpear or exSB to go through the clone
or just allow exPhase to remove the clone like it already trigger some hit animations (ie reptile's dash)

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
still, the problem would remain
the armor would be at the startup, where smoke is still away from the clone

buff exSpear or exSB to go through the clone
or just allow exPhase to remove the clone like it already trigger some hit animations (ie reptile's dash)
I think EX-Spear buff going through the clone is a perfectly acceptable buff. Even if Sub can block it, you're safe.

shura30

Shura
I think EX-Spear buff going through the clone is a perfectly acceptable buff. Even if Sub can block it, you're safe.
also he can duck it and punish
it would still be something tho..don't remember the startup frames but if it could at least punish blockstrings into clone like other characters can do all we have to worry is knockdown setups