What's new

General/Other - Smoke XL Robo Smoke Discussion Thread

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
As CSZ punish how? Say if I do a F2 ender into IceBomb, I'll go for the mixup, but upon pushing a button he'll WU EX Phase behind me and I whiff. Feel like if I delay it he blocks anyway. How would I punish in this situation it I read he will WU EX Phase after F2~LowIce~B3?
Wanted to add....Be careful dropping an icebomb and then waiting for phase. Smoke can wake up throw you into the corner and your ice bomb wont hit him and now you're in the corner.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Smoke is like the weakest variation. But for some reason I can't stop playing him over the others.. hmmm
Also using b21 is kind iffy. I used it online and he hit once side and went completely through the character on second hit.
I thought it was only an issue on blocking

Smoke is like the weakest variation. But for some reason I can't stop playing him over the others.. hmmm
Also using b21 is kind iffy. I used it online and he hit once side and went completely through the character on second hit.
I thought it was only an issue on blocking
Smoke is potentially one of the strongest. Keep playing him and try not to focus so much on his weakness. Mix it up. And keep practicing the combo

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
Has anyone noticed that after a blocked tele smoke low profiles high punishes? I haven't tested it out but I played a smoke online and kung jins 7 frame high s2 whiffed after every blocked tele. Another reason I think invis is going to be important after people learn the matchup.

Redux

Ex Phase
I'm not going to lie I wish smoke wasn't a mainly vortex character. I've never played a vortex character before and man do I start feeling bad when they guess wrong 4 times in a row and the round is gone lol.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Has anyone noticed that after a blocked tele smoke low profiles high punishes? I haven't tested it out but I played a smoke online and kung jins 7 frame high s2 whiffed after every blocked tele. Another reason I think invis is going to be important after people learn the matchup.
If people truly learn the match up, they're going to recognize the teleport overhead, even when completely invisible.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
I'm not going to lie I wish smoke wasn't a mainly vortex character. I've never played a vortex character before and man do I start feeling bad when they guess wrong 4 times in a row and the round is gone lol.
Yeah it feels hella cheap sometimes. But winning feels better than losing any day. But I will say it's even better to use a non vortex (and to a degree one that isn't complete nonsense) and smash someone. Take the wins and enjoy yourself man.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Would you rather lose to another characters dirt? I once thought the same until Cyrax hit me into a combo and a reset of death. Jax pinning you in the corner to play mind games all day.

Red Hood MKX

Mercenary dog
I have to ask why the search for the safe EX invis set ups after a spear vortex set up? If you understand how the frames work it doesn't matter if you're visable or not. NO human can react to the 50/50 when performed properly, it's a flat out guess...period. Plus your down a bar for a char that badly needs that bar to stay safe or get meaningful damage in this game. The real tech would be finding a set up to get it safely in neutral, on block, or after a damage combo so that you can truly have mind games. The only mind game any of you have created is your invisible and it's still just a 50/50 guess for the opponent, nothing has been gained except a bar of meter is gone and it looks cool. Hopefully I eat my words down the road but I don't think I will.
Lately i been doing the ex invisibility just to mess with people its definitely not his best strategy like you said you cant really react to his mix ups anyway

What i like is for 1 bar you get 2 invisibility vortex if the first one hits the damage can really ad up

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
If people truly learn the match up, they're going to recognize the teleport overhead, even when completely invisible.
But they have to use their non go to punisher. This second guessing could let you get away with stuff in the match. If high whiffs they have to go to a slower mid or low punish that might not be fast enough to punish his other moves. This confusion will cause panic.

Smoke is still new but I think his invis is going to be what makes him good. I main shaolin and he technically has a mid 20's vortex but nobody uses it cuz more damage into hkd accomplished more. Gotta think what's still gonna work down the road. His gaps are gonna get blown up. You can jump out of a smoke bomb cancel.

That's just me though. I know we're divided on vortex vs invis.

Darth Rambo

GT:DarthxXxRambo PSN:Darth__Rambo
But they have to use their non go to punisher. This second guessing could let you get away with stuff in the match. If high whiffs they have to go to a slower mid or low punish that might not be fast enough to punish his other moves. This confusion will cause panic.

Smoke is still new but I think his invis is going to be what makes him good. I main shaolin and he technically has a mid 20's vortex but nobody uses it cuz more damage into hkd accomplished more. Gotta think what's still gonna work down the road. His gaps are gonna get blown up. You can jump out of a smoke bomb cancel.

That's just me though. I know we're divided on vortex vs invis.
If we could get more off of a hkd setup than just using the vortex, i think that would be the best way to go the majority of the time in certain matchups.

Noob
Interesting how ppl see Smoke in diferent lights, Smoke can be played many diferent ways his expremely versitile, and i think he fits any players playing style, his just one of those characters that doesnt excel at anything but its pretty good at everything... now with that being said he feels like a Much better Ermac to be honest, this coming from a Ermac Main since day 1... You can play him risk/reward and see if it works for you considering with him the more you risk the more damage you can get in... or you can play safer and fish for the opening and build meter to get out of corners and go for EX vanish.... So for those saying he is the weakest maybe you should try playing him diferently, try to be illusive and teach your opponent to block certain stuff so you can start going for more damaging starters... He infact is the mroe adaptable of all the variations IMO

xSamuel

Player of All, Master of None.
@TheEighth ayeeeee, whats up man? Sorry for not getting to the lab with you this week, I've been sick for a week and a half now. Anyways, I've been punished for back dashing throughout it's animation so I think I'm going to start phasing backwards instead. Backdash only goes like a foot (in game) further than the phase

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Not sure if this was stated yet, but it's assumed by Smoke players that the opponent can jump out of B3~Smokebomb. That's not entirely true. It's range dependent. At close to max rax, the opponent cant jump out. He still gets bombed. The closer you get, the easier it is to jump out.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
Leatherface punishes Smoke Bomb upclose lol be careful when playing against Butcher...that command grab is insane

Darth Rambo

GT:DarthxXxRambo PSN:Darth__Rambo
Ex phase forward maybe one of the best specials in the game, i literally use all of my meter on that alone to hell with making b1 safe id rather whiff punish all day. (Context: i was playing a long set with cyber sub thinking in the beginning he has better tools until it became a game of reads rather than tool sets. I lost the majority of the time but man was it some of the most enjoyable mkx ive ever played)

Altsa

OK, guys here's something you NEED to try out:

Regular phase forward over your opponent during their wakeup

Basic idea is to phase through your opponents potential wakeup attack and whiff punish. So far I've found only 2 wakeup attacks that it doesn't work against(Tempest Ex spin and Sektor Ex Flameburner). Against teleports (Scorpion, Ermac, Sektor, Smoke, Mileena) you will always recover in time to block them. If your opponent chose to delay their wakeup, just go for the 50/50 or whatever you fancy. Also the timing for doing this is very forgiving.

I've had tremendous success doing this the past few days and I hope you will too.

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
OK, guys here's something you NEED to try out:

Regular phase forward over your opponent during their wakeup

Basic idea is to phase through your opponents potential wakeup attack and whiff punish. So far I've found only 2 wakeup attacks that it doesn't work against(Tempest Ex spin and Sektor Ex Flameburner). Against teleports (Scorpion, Ermac, Sektor, Smoke, Mileena) you will always recover in time to block them. If your opponent chose to delay their wakeup, just go for the 50/50 or whatever you fancy. Also the timing for doing this is very forgiving.

I've had tremendous success doing this the past few days and I hope you will too.
Good stuff. I've tried this a little before, but other labbing just took its place. Definitely have to take a look again. Mind games (with stamina mgmt).

See a lot of posts in this thread about unsafe 50/50. Smoke bomb is -6, which is pretty much safe for nearly everything, so any starter into smoke bomb is safe.

For an ender I use his teleport (mainly for damage), it leaves you neutral but at a range that a lot of characters can't match you for fast attacks at this range. Not ideal but as I said for when you need/want damage.