What's new

Question - Summoner What improvements would you like to see with summoner for kp2?

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
So does it not take a frame to unblock?
F212 is -1 and I'm getting it to trade w 6 frame d1 so what exactly are you talking about?
There isn't a "one frame to unblock", reversals just happen to discount one frame of blockstun. That's probably what you're thinking of. If it's trading with another 6F D1 then you're not doing it fast enough.

Also can we stop pretending Quan's D1 has the same properties as Kotal's? Thee only reason he was given a 6F D1 was as a last resort defensive option outside of Warlock. Nothing is guaranteed after it on hit. And even then it still helps Warlock the most since there's since the armored counterpoking option if they were planning to disrespect the lack of guaranteed options.

Goat-City

Banned
Why does sorcerer need to kill you on one touch in the corner. And why can't you use the chip hex, end a block string with mb rune, block a counter poke, and retaliate with a block string. God forbid you have to make a read instead of just killing your opponent with chip.
It costs 3 bars of meter for one, so it is fair. Blood god gets huge damage too but he doesnt have to play some counter poking game to maybe get it, and many people argue he still needs help. Most games you won't get the opportunity to use the 3 bar 90% combos in the corner anyway, so in order for the chip spell to have a viable use mid screen he has to sacrifice 12-15% damage to activate it after a trance, a full screen hard knockdown and a guaranteed safe armor spell setup. With this nerf, why the fuck would anyone sacrifice all of that for 5-10% guaranteed extra damage and a small chance to get 10% more in case your opponent is dumb enough to not simply back dash out of the chip spell as soon as the first EX rune leaves Quan minus 1? On top of that, they could even grab you or hit you with an overhead while you're expecting to block their low poke, that's WAY too much risk for too little reward. Do you even know anything about this character?

Last edited:

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
-1 is not fine. Sorcerer needs the EX rune to be plus 14 for the rune trap, no more no less. This doesn't even hurt Summoner as much as the other 2 variations because he doesn't even need meter to make his 50/50s plus. This nerf is too much compared to 90% of the characters in this game. Now the only useful spell Sorcerer has is the armor spell, which might as well be the ice clone except you can't get it out safely without a knockdown and he doesn't have ANY good wakeups unlike Sub Zero.
I'm not understanding your logic. U know chip trap has guaranteed true block string set ups that take like 90% of your life (given u have 3 meters). -1 rune is fine. You have less options now, but its a nerf.. That's the point.
There isn't a "one frame to unblock", reversals just happen to discount one frame of blockstun. That's probably what you're thinking of. If it's trading with another 6F D1 then you're not doing it fast enough.

Also can we stop pretending Quan's D1 has the same properties as Kotal's? Thee only reason he was given a 6F D1 was as a last resort defensive option outside of Warlock. Nothing is guaranteed after it on hit. And even then it still helps Warlock the most since there's since the armored counterpoking option if they were planning to disrespect the lack of guaranteed options.
Ah I'm mistaken then.

Thanks for the clarification my good sir.

SylverRye

Official Loop Kang Main
No it really , really isn't.There is no way that you can compare a blockstring ending in +2 , to a 50/50 mix-up that grants another mix-up on block and a combo on hit , that loops back into that same mix-up. Frankly I don't even know why it was given to him in the first place . Just repeating that sentence in my head gives me a headache. It's even more shocking to me that you're trying to defend this as if he needs it.
Quan players dont understand the concept of counter poking, spacing, or anything other than making u guess over and over again. -1 imo doesnt seem bad at all. A lot of plus moves/strings could use a tone down imo. But quan players dont really understand that. Much easier to complain.

Goat-City

Banned
No it really , really isn't.There is no way that you can compare a blockstring ending in +2 , to a 50/50 mix-up that grants another mix-up on block and a combo on hit , that loops back into that same mix-up. Frankly I don't even know why it was given to him in the first place . Just repeating that sentence in my head gives me a headache. It's even more shocking to me that you're trying to defend this as if he needs it.
It costs meter to make it plus and if the opponent has a bar of meter they can option select armor through the overhead. The only problem with it is that you don't have to spend meter for the second mixup, but that could simply be adjusted by decreasing the cancel advantage on the overhead option.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
It really is, because it's not just one block string. It's three, ended in a multi-hitting special, followed by a normal that breaks armor.

That's nine blocked hits you have to hold before counting hits of the bicycle kick. All of that is chip and corner carry. During the bicycle kicks he rebuilds the stamina. So if you armor the b1 string breaks it, so if you continue to block knowing this, he f213s again and starts the pressure loop all over again.

Consider: You could armor and backdash b32 into MB Rune, and armor or backdash after MB Rune if you read b2.

Whereas some character's best hope was to trade with Kang if their poke wasn't fast enough or have their armor broken.

His Damage will be toned down. His plus frames off of ex Rune will be reduced. He may even receive some other Nerfs among the 3 variations. At the same time he may also be spared some more devastating nerfs. You will either remain with the character and find ways to win. Or you will move on to another one. Arguing with yourselves or others isnt going to change that.

At the same time, a characters representation in Tournament does not dictate how good said character is. Yes, while Quan Chi in the eyes of some may not be as widely used as Tanya or Kung Lao, that does not mean his moves should go unchanged. Suggesting that is just another way of saying, "yes my character is powerful but he isn't as powerful as X Y and Z so be should be left alone."

I respect those who have spent time mastering the character and his tools, Ketchup, Michaelangelo, Shujinkydink and those who are lesser known. They likely saw this coming as soon as some of this dirt began to surface.

All that being said, I wish good luck to those who will main Quan in the future, hopefully we will see just as many if not more of you in Tournament showing off your skills.

Goat-City

Banned
So... what?
A top 10 zoner manages it, why can't a top 3 zoner?
Because he does not have any viable armor. I'm telling you if he loses his advantage off the EX rune he will be garbage. You cannot survive solely off zoning in MKX. Kitana has great zoning, great pressure, great wakeups, and the most viable X ray in the game yet many people argue she still needs buffs.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
It costs 3 bars of meter for one, so it is fair. Blood god gets huge damage too but he doesnt have to play some counter poking game to maybe get it, and many people argue he still needs help. Most games you won't get the opportunity to use the 3 bar 90% combos in the corner anyway, so in order for the chip spell to have a viable use mid screen he has to sacrifice 12-15% damage to activate after a trance, a full screen hard knockdown and a guaranteed safe armor spell setup. With this nerf, why the fuck would sacrifice all of that for 5-10% guaranteed extra damage and a small chance to get 10% more in case your opponent is dumb enough to not simply back dash out of the chip spell as soon as the first EX rune leaves Quan minus 1. On top of that, they could even grab you or hit you with an overhead while you're expecting to block their low poke, that's WAY too much too much risk for too little reward. Do you even know anything about this character?
You and I have very different definitions of what the word "needs" means. And don't even try to compare Quan to blood god. Blood god gets his damage after setting up a totem and making a hard read in neutral. Quan gets it after landing a plus on block 50/50 in the corner. And all that shit about eating an overhead in anticipation of a low poke is exactly what the counter poking game is. You do realize you could do a s1 and blow his ass up for going for the overhead. Please learn the basics of the meta before you go around complaining about balance.

Error404

Noob
Because he does not have any viable armor. I'm telling you if he loses his advantage off the EX rune he will be garbage. You cannot survive solely off zoning in MKX. Kitana has great zoning, great pressure, great wakeups, and the most viable X ray in the game yet many people argue she still needs buffs.
Quan chi has the best back backdash , a 6 frame poke , a 5 njp and the best zoning im the entire game hands down. Not only does he not neee an armoured special , he has better defensive options than half the cast.

Error404

Noob
It really is, because it's not just one block string. It's three, ended in a multi-hitting special, followed by a normal that breaks armor.

That's nine blocked hits you have to hold before counting hits of the bicycle kick. All of that is chip and corner carry. During the bicycle kicks he rebuilds the stamina. So if you armor the b1 string breaks it, so if you continue to block knowing this, he f213s again and starts the pressure loop all over again.

Consider: You could armor and backdash b32 into MB Rune, and armor or backdash after MB Rune if you read b2.

Whereas some character's best hope was to trade with Kang if their poke wasn't fast enough or have their armor broken.
Stop acting like you can't backdash f2 and b2 after mb flying kick.

Goat-City

Banned
You and I have very different definitions of what the word "needs" means. And don't even try to compare Quan to blood god. Blood god gets his damage after setting up a totem and making a hard read in neutral. Quan gets it after landing a plus on block 50/50 in the corner. And all that shit about eating an overhead in anticipation of a low poke is exactly what the counter poking game is. You do realize you could do a s1 and blow his ass up for going for the overhead. Please learn the basics of the meta before you go around complaining about balance.
lol child, read my post again, I'm telling you it would not be worth the risk to use the chip spell midscreen because it would always be smarter to full combo your opponent into a safe armor spell setup. The chip spell would only ever be useful to close out rounds with 1 bar in the corner. That would be its one and only viable use after this nerf. What you're saying would make sense if there wasn't a much, much better option to go for instead of the chip spell.

Last edited:
We'll see what happens, but if Warlock gets a big nerf because people can't deal with Summoner that is garbage. Apparently a lot of people still have not figured out the holes in Quan's game.

Goat-City

Banned
Quan chi has the best back backdash , a 6 frame poke , a 5 njp and the best zoning im the entire game hands down. Not only does he not neee an armoured special , he has better defensive options than half the cast.
Doesnt mean shit because none of that is as valuable for defense as a wakeup is. As a Summoner player once you get knocked down versus a pressure character you are at a huge disadvantage. None of those things help that. The 6f d1 is plus 3 on hit and full combo punishable on block. Stop.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
lol child, read my post again, I'm telling you it would not be worth the risk to use the chip spell midscreen because it would always be smarter to full combo your opponent into a safe armor spell setup. The chip spell would only ever be useful to close out rounds in the corner. That would be its one and only viable use after this nerf. What you're saying would make sense if there wasn't a much, much better option to go for instead of the chip spell.
The just use the armor spell it's still an amazing tool that more then keeps him viable. And isn't ex skull +16 on block? Why can't you use that for the hex spell instead of rune.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Doesnt mean shit because none of that is as valuable for defense as a wakeup is. As a Summoner player once you get knocked down versus a pressure character you are at a huge disadvantage. None of those things help that. The 6f d1 is plus 3 on hit and full combo punishable on block. Stop.
Quan does have a block button and access to delayed wake ups and tech rolls like everyone else. If you think armor on wake up is the only option for any given scenario like youre making it out to be then I dont know what to tell you. Shit, Id take a top 3 backdash thats invincible on wake up over having to spend meter on armor any day

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
What are her great wake-ups... An unsafe DP annnd... ..... ..... ......... ........................
Also great pressure being... I guess floats? I think...
Hey X-ray is okay I guess.
Her zoning isn't "great" so much as... painfully average.
So yeah.

Backdashing is about as valuable as anything since most pressure breaks armor anyhow. Anyone knocked down by a pressure characters is at a huge disadvantage.

I mean shit Ferra/Torr doesn't even get access to half of his moves on wake-up, you don't see us complaining.

Goat-City

Banned
What are her great wake-ups... An unsafe DP annnd... ..... ..... ......... ........................
Also great pressure being... I guess floats? I think...
Hey X-ray is okay I guess.
Her zoning isn't "great" so much as... painfully average.
So yeah.

Backdashing is about as valuable as anything since most pressure breaks armor anyhow. Anyone knocked down by a pressure characters is at a huge disadvantage.

I mean shit Ferra/Torr doesn't even get access to half of his moves on wake-up, you don't see us complaining.
She has an armored anti airing launcher and a mid hitting armored reversal. She has good stagger strings and her EX fan on block for pressure on top of her float game. Kitana's zoning is great relative to most other characters in the game. Only characters I can think of who benefit more from zoning than her are HQT, Sorcerer and Summoner Quan.

Goat-City

Banned
Quan does have a block button and access to delayed wake ups and tech rolls like everyone else. If you think armor on wake up is the only option for any given scenario like youre making it out to be then I dont know what to tell you. Shit, Id take a top 3 backdash thats invincible on wake up over having to spend meter on armor any day
Straw man fallacy, I am not making it out to be that way. I'm stating the fact that having a good armored move is extremely valuable for defense.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
She has an armored anti airing launcher and a mid hitting armored reversal. She has good stagger strings and her EX fan on block for pressure on top of her float game. Kitana's zoning is great relative to most other characters in the game. Only characters I can think of who benefit more from zoning than her are HQT, Sorcerer and Summoner Quan.
So an unsafe DP and an unsafe parry? Her pressure isn't as good as Quan's meterless pressure is. Her zoning is great relative to characters who don't have any tools.