What's new

Top tier abusers VS Character "loyalists"

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
is that really a fair way to go about it? if there's a hundred entrants than you got 1 sheeva for at least every 15 kabals =/
He said there's people who win majors with low tiers. How else can you ask the question? lol

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
It's not about choosing. I understand if it's those people that pick low tiers that aren't their mains just for them to say "I used a low tier and lost. That means I won on the inside."

No. I'm referring to those who picked their mains from the beginning and they happen to be low tier. It's not their fault.

Now explain why I should change MY main because YOUR main is a higher tier?
Most of the time those low tier character players could pick kabal all day and they'd still get bodied as if they were Baraka

I picked Mileena from beginning and CSz and dropped CSz cause he's shit and I exploded w Kenshi and use mid tier every now and then

To Answer your question u should pick a different character if u want to win

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I'm referring to other games not MK. I'm not of the MK community so I don't know how it works here, but that would be MK's fault, for having balance so bad that players can't make up for it, or the player's fault for not being able to rise above their characters.
SCV Evo
FFV KOF
Cananda Cup
You want more?
Yeah, MK9 balance is bad. That's why almost every major the top 8 are all different characters. :rolleyes:

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I'm referring to other games not MK. I'm not of the MK community so I don't know how it works here, but that would be MK's fault, for having balance so bad that players can't make up for it, or the player's fault for not being able to rise above their characters.
SCV Evo
FFV KOF
Cananda Cup
You want more?
I can't speak on any of these , I'm a MK guy but use to be a SF4 guy as well

I'd need someone to comment on this for me because I don't when I don't know anything about those games

I assumed MK

End of the day I'm comfortable doing whatever I do and watching the whiners cry salty tears of defeat

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
I'm all about image, so it's just in my DNA to represent characters I like or find flashy/fierce. I don't know too much about this cast so I'm entering with an open mind. I PLAN on focusing on Catwoman, Harley, and NightWing...but who knows...if I'm digging or feeling a character I never thought about before, your damn right I'll "main" or represent them.

True Story. Back when I first bought MKvsDC, I vowed to ONLY play as MK characters out of principle due to being disgusted that it was a crossover type game...my main 3 ended up being Catwoman, WonderWoman, and Green Lantern. Go Figure!

PoweredbyProtein

Eternal student
Yeah, MK9 balance is bad. That's why almost every major the top 8 are all different characters. :rolleyes:
I'm not saying that it is unbalanced, I'd be the last person to say that since I don't play the game seriously, only dabbed into it. I was more of asking you guys.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Max, of Online Warrior fame, released a great episode of Online Warrior about this very subject. Even though it's set against an UMvC3 backdrop, it's applicable to any fighter. You can check it out here:

PoweredbyProtein

Eternal student
Max, of Online Warrior fame, released a great episode of Online Warrior about this very subject. Even though it's set against an UMvC3 backdrop, it's applicable to any fighter. You can check it out here:
I seen it and I wouldn't say it's applicable to every fighter, since there are game where the difference in tiers isn't too much (like tekken), while UMVC3 is a broken as shit game.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
SCV Evo
FFV KOF
Cananda Cup
You want more?
Cause King and Claw Iori are so low tier :coffee:

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I seen it and I wouldn't say it's applicable to every fighter, since there are game where the difference in tiers isn't too much (like tekken), while UMVC3 is a broken as shit game.
Then let me rephrase that: The video about tiers is applicable to any game where tiers matter...

Goldi

Noob
I've been something of a Jade loyalist in MK9. And I can't think of many reasons I favor one character so intensely. There was no pre existing affinity for Jade. I don't feel any obligation to play her. She's just fun.

I've pretty much never complained about being a low tier lover, though. Seriously. Find one post where I trash Jade anywhere, ever, that wasn't playful. Doesn't exist lol. And I'm the first one to point out that I'm still fairly new to the FGC and have a lot to learn myself before I let my character's place on the tier list take the blame for my losses.

I give myself some slack though. This was my first year competing, and while the drive to win is there, it just doesn't take priority for me yet I guess. I get something else from this scene... It's hard to explain exactly, but I'm having fun right now with my character and the community and the game. If that changes or new goals take precedence I would have to make some adjustments, obviously.

But for now I'm learning and socializing (and apparently digging ditches :p) and in love with all this meeting new people and seeing new places and "leveling up" as they say. I don't need to win or even place well. Yet..

I've grown and changed a good deal, naturally. I'm still learning and training and practicing and very active in and supportive of our community. I like to think someday I'll want more and start working hard for it. And I'll have the MKC to thank for it <3 I admit, I will most likely need a higher tier character then. but I'm not there just now.

I mean, I wouldn't expect to pass calculus without finishing a few semesters of algebra first, right? Just like I cannot expect to do as well against players who have studied fighters much longer and harder (phrasing, boom) than myself no matter who I play. I'm completely fine with that. Whoa, sorry. Kinda went to testyourblogging with this lol.

At any rate, people shouldn't scold the low tier mains for not playing with the "tournament viable" characters. But we low tier heroes should have a healthy sense of optimism and little to no energy to waste on complaining.

#hopespringseternal

Shady

Noob
I think people who complain about someone using a top tier character just have a different mentality. When you go to a competitive event, you should probably be at a position to do good, so using a top character (especially with money on the line) is a no brainer. But sometimes people need to own up to that. There are plenty of players who picked someone up because they wanted to play a tourney viable player but then tried to make up some story how they always liked that character and it was just a natural progression. Bullshit, if you do something at least have the balls to own up to it.

Same goes for those who play bottom tier characters, either because of character loyalty or some other factor. If you use a bottom tier character in the tournament, you give away your right to complain how he is bottom tier and how you lost because your opponent had better tools. You know why? Because you went into it fully aware and you don't get to use your excuse. If you want to be competitive, adapt or STFU.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to win, especially when you play competitively. Play whoever you want in casuals, have fun with it, show your character loyalty or what not, but when money's on the line, and you know it is, it's on you to chose who you want to play as and so are the consequences of that. On. You!

I was lucky enough because my favorite character in MK has always been Kabal and no matter what I'd be using him on some level or the other. The cards just fell the way they did. Same goes for Sonya, who I was in love with ever since the first movie. If they weren't top tier however, damn right I would pick up Lao, Cyrax or Kenshi for tourneys. I also happen to love the design choices for a lot of MK roster, so in casuals I used to play Shang, Stryker, Kano, Liu Kang, Skarlett, Reptile... A lot of characters, would I bring them into the tourney? Hells no. Would I play them in casuals for fun to explore the match-ups an the meta game? Hells yeah.

For Injustice, I know I will try all of the characters on the roster at some point. It will happen. I also can tell that I will play Flash and Sinestro no matter what in casuals (also Harley for sure) and in the first couple of tourneys. When the tier list solidifies however, and if my chose characters are not on it, I will definitely pick up a character that is close to the top (if I plan to keep going to tourneys).

I think there are two different mentalities between casuals and fair play and tournaments and people have trouble switching their mindset from one setting to another. If you want to be a competitive player, you have to learn to do that or stop complaining about others who do. At the end of the day, play whoever you damn please, but don't blame other's for your choice.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
He switched teams, and King is considered Mid-tier (Though, I may be mistaken), but sure whatever.
Then I substitute for the Major that Xian's Gen won. Do you want more?
But he's not a shit character, he's actually decently powerful. If you can find me a T.Hawk or a Dan or perhaps a DJ winning a tournament then yeah. Chars like Tira and Gen, while not common, aren't great examples because they are good, people just don't play them.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
TIRA WAS NEVER LOW TIER. #SCV Rage

There has been many majors won by low tier characters in Tekken. Spark won Blazblue with Hakumen two years ago.

It happens in most games except for MK9. That is sometimes because the player is not up to par, BUT there are players like Slips who everyone agrees would have won some tournaments with a better character. It's never JUST about character choice, but character choice does have an effect.

PoweredbyProtein

Eternal student
But he's not a shit character, he's actually decently powerful. If you can find me a T.Hawk or a Dan or perhaps a DJ winning a tournament then yeah. Chars like Tira and Gen, while not common, aren't great examples because they are good, people just don't play them.
Ummm, no Tira and Gen were not good. Tira was in bottom 10, and people considered Gen to be bad.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I'll pick GL because I feel like it. Same with all my characters. But because I whoop on you all, my character gets pegged top tier. *shrug*