What's new

Top tier abusers VS Character "loyalists"

VGB Joe Kerr

Insane Brilliance
Great points, it's just that not every player is the same skill wise. I consider myself an average player with decent execution and understanding but always tend to choose a mid to low tier character. Regardless of how much effort, practice and understanding I achieve my success will plataeu based on whatever limitations my mid to low tier character has. Not to say that I won't ever or can't win but one can only swim against the current for so long.
I feel this way also, as I am in the same boat game after game, but there is a mentality behind it. I can say what I want to about being a SZ main in mk9, but tom brady goes and will top 8 a tournament or beat a character being played at a high level that I would swear up and down you can not win just by playing random people online or something. I really do believe that once a character has been fully explored(or even before that) and that's all there is then you have to look at how that character was meant to be played and if that fits how you play. Tier lists always bother me personally because it's not character loyalists playing each other it's just whoever is considered a top player at the time. everyone thinks differently from the top to the bottom. because anyone can say well ryu has a fireball, rose reflects them all day he loses, but then you have to think how a player that knows his character down to the smallest bit of information would go about handling a situation.

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
If its part of the game then one has to learn how to deal with it regardless of what your thoughts are about it. I try my hardest to enjoy understanding the game and developing myself as a better player regardless of what tactics are used. If I come across something I don't know how to escape or deal with then it's up to me to find the solution and keep pressing forward. There's great pride and satisfaction in finding that solution and being able to apply it.

I guess people who main shit tiers play fantasy football like this

1st pick of the draft
Looks at Peyton Manning, capernick, brady and Adrian Peterson
Then sees Mark Sanchez and Kevin Kolb

Draft mark Sanchez and Kevin Kolb w 2nd round pick

^^^^^^^^^^

That's my example and how I see people who choose to play low tiers

BUT I LOVE MARK SANCHEZ!!!!!!!! Good for u , NMP when u get cockraped week 1
It's not about choosing. I understand if it's those people that pick low tiers that aren't their mains just for them to say "I used a low tier and lost. That means I won on the inside."

No. I'm referring to those who picked their mains from the beginning and they happen to be low tier. It's not their fault.

Now explain why I should change MY main because YOUR main is a higher tier?

Scarlett Viper

Let's begin the witching hour.
I don't see how playing low tier is less respectable then playing high tier at all as long as they aren't being dicks about losing. Frankly I have more respect for the people who choose a character because they like the character and stick with them regardless of they're tier level be it high,mid,low or shit over the guys who decide their main by looking at tier lists or what the tourny winners play.

I$AAC

Noob
After doing what I did with Kano in my MK9 career, you bet your ass I'm tier whoring this time around. I owe it to myself.

I mean I like Deathstroke and I hope he's at LEAST High tier. If not he's getting bopped.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
It's not about choosing. I understand if it's those people that pick low tiers that aren't their mains just for them to say "I used a low tier and lost. That means I won on the inside."

No. I'm referring to those who picked their mains from the beginning and they happen to be low tier. It's not their fault.

Now explain why I should change MY main because YOUR main is a higher tier?
It's their fault when they stick with that character. You don't have to stick with a character just because you chose him at the beginning. You change your main if the main you're using isn't working out, and you want to win. If you just want to have fun, then none of this matters.

ImmortalSkillit

SteeevRay
I've stuck with Quan, even though i've been told by a few people to just drop him and pick someone who would give me a better chance. While I've always played to win, I just....can't...get away from the Woolay.

Injustice however, will bring changes. I plan on doing some damage this time around, so once someone finds some dirt with a character (if not me), then you better believe I'm diving head first into it. I've lost to Blackulas Jade too much to continue taking beatings using characters that I enjoy more rather than using someone that I could have more success with.

Espio

Kokomo
I dunno, I never saw the conflict between playing to win and playing who you like. It is possible to do both simultaneously.

Everyone's different though some play to the tiers, others play simply to explore the roster, have fun etc.

Do what you wanna do, at the end of the day it's what makes you most comfortable that you should do.

I use Stryker but he isn't even my favorite character. What does that make me?

Btw some people tier whore and they don't even play offline. They just want a good online record.
Very dedicated and awesome lol.

Wigy

There it is...
Fair enough if you're playing for money, but unless its for money your goal is to have fun, its a game.

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
Based on the footage that I've seen thus far I'm interested in DeathStroke, Cyborg, Doomsday, Green Arrow and Joker, regardless on how low or high they'll be day one or day X. I know where I stand with this discussion but I also respect other people's stance as well.

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
After doing what I did with Kano in my MK9 career, you bet your ass I'm tier whoring this time around. I owe it to myself.

I mean I like Deathstroke and I hope he's at LEAST High tier. If not he's getting bopped.
WHEN IS YOUR SIG GONNA STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Im one of those people who thinks MK9 is broken. Yes, I get jealous over the broken crap some people have, but i stick with Baraka anyway. But when I lose, I lose. I dont complain it was baraka(Ok I do joke around a little but it isnt sincere), because 9 times out of ten it was me.

But does that mean I think the game is balanced? No, because the toolset of the bottom ten characters and the top ten characters are LIGHT YEARS apart(I.e unbalanced).

But I guess im just a whiny scrub even though I always give credit where credit is due:rolleyes:

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
I don't go with a tier list to determine my choice in character anyway. Its all about what character feels the most comfortable. For me, playing with a character like Kabal or Kenshi is a bigger handicap than using Ermac.

Besides the point: Can we all stop stroking ourselves about how honorable we all are? I mean if every person here has a valid reason for using said character(and we all do it seems), then where are these supposed whiners and complainers that Pig is talking about? Stfu, play the game, and have fun, or walk away from it.