What's new

Top tier abusers VS Character "loyalists"

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
I 100% agree about losing with humility. I believe in it regardless of reason, but whining at someone because you feel that your character is inferior is pretty high on the list. I really can't stand any behaviour by the loser that somehow attempts to "lessen" the win. It's bad sportsmanship, among other things. Can't blame anyone but yourself and your own decisions.

I'd say toward the end you mighta got a bit vicious and misrepresent the views of other folk who play to win (since I'm certain that winning is a form of fun for you, certainly!), but I get the message.

Personally, I play to learn/improve, so I can gain some sense of satisfaction from a loss if I feel that it's made me a better player/it's shown a marked improvement in my performance. That said, I want to win as much as humanly possible, as that's obviously the most satisfying form of self-evident growth. In that regard, I'm pretty neutral in this character loyalty vs top tier debate. I'll pick whatever I feel suits my personal style in a way that I can definitely see myself coming as close to that character's "ceiling" as possible , regardless of the character's in-universe background or their tier position (straight up viability could be a factor, though). If it doesn't work out and I feel that my play becomes stagnant, I'll explore other avenues in an attempt to find a better match until I'm satisfied. I'm not quite enough of a masochist to play a character that brings me no joy for any reason.

Pardon the rant, my whole idea here was to show one mindset that lie between the two extremes presented in the OP, and I kinda got out of hand. I'm sure there are plenty of other sorts of mindsets among the TYM populace, 'swell. Such a splendid spectrum of motivations all have their place, just don't be a dick if whatever drives you doesn't yield the win ratio you think you deserve.

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
since tiers are usually subjective to players/meta or what have you wouldn't the argument be irrelevant? In some instances isn't it those character loyalists that usually break underplayed characters and bring them to everyone else's attention? Isn't that why tier lists always change? players are players at the end of the day. If you fully support just one character and they turn out to be bad compared to the rest of the cast why not find a strategy to make them work? I mean it may or may not be great examples, but diago and dieminion have mid tier characters in ae and they do pretty well for themselves.
Great points, it's just that not every player is the same skill wise. I consider myself an average player with decent execution and understanding but always tend to choose a mid to low tier character. Regardless of how much effort, practice and understanding I achieve my success will plataeu based on whatever limitations my mid to low tier character has. Not to say that I won't ever or can't win but one can only swim against the current for so long.

Quantus

Rain for MK12 Kombat Pack 3
I'll be a character loyalist to a point, but I'm not opposed to switching. The switch, however, isn't based on tier position, but how the character fits with my style.

I'll play the character who I enjoy playing the most, regardless of both character loyalty and tier position.

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
Personally, I play to learn/improve, so I can gain some sense of satisfaction from a loss if I feel that it's made me a better player/it's shown a marked improvement in my performance. That said, I want to win as much as humanly possible, as that's obviously the most satisfying form of self-evident growth. In that regard, I'm pretty neutral in this character loyalty vs top tier debate. I'll pick whatever I feel suits my personal style in a way that I can definitely see myself coming as close to that character's "ceiling" as possible , regardless of the character's in-universe background or their tier position (straight up viability could be a factor, though). If it doesn't work out and I feel that my play becomes stagnant, I'll explore other avenues in an attempt to find a better match until I'm satisfied. I'm not quite enough of a masochist to play a character that brings me no joy for any reason.
This is good stuff.

PoweredbyProtein

Eternal student
I play whoever I like. If they're top tier lucky me, if they're low-tier so be it. I dislike people who put themselves on a pedestal based on who they use. If you're using a low-tier, then get ready to put in the extra work to compete, but don't bitch about tiers when you lose.
There are people who win major's with low-tiers, so if you're losing then you just weren't good enough.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I guess people who main shit tiers play fantasy football like this

1st pick of the draft
Looks at Peyton Manning, capernick, brady and Adrian Peterson
Then sees Mark Sanchez and Kevin Kolb

Draft mark Sanchez and Kevin Kolb w 2nd round pick

^^^^^^^^^^

That's my example and how I see people who choose to play low tiers

BUT I LOVE MARK SANCHEZ!!!!!!!! Good for u , NMP when u get cockraped week 1

Amazon

Noob
I prefer to win legfitmately, people who abuse broken tactics are either not skilled, or wasting their skills.

I will be a character loyalist to Wonder Woman, but will have another 6 or 7 that I will switch between.

I can't really go on arguing since we both know each others opinions. Nothing's going to change.

If you're fine with being a bad winner then alright. I'd rather be a good loser anyday.

You seek blood and show no mercy. As do I. I play to win.
But to annoying and obviously unskilled players I show no respect.
If you're desperate enough to go top tier (If it wasn't your original main) just because they have an advantage then go ahead.
And if you end up winning then congratulations. You may have shown victory visually, but the fact of the matter is: It wasn't a fair fight.

If this was real life, understandable. "All is fair in love and war." But this isn't real life, it's a game. And in a game you're limited with the amount of options you have to be "cheap."

If you Juggs are okay with winning like a coward/cheap/top-tier/unfairly then okay. (Not calling you those things specifically, but you can fill in the extras)

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
Mehhhh yo do what you gotta do to win, i'll always respect that and not make up excuses.

On the other hand i only play characters if i like them aesthetically, the way they play or if i feel like a nostalgiafag like i do with Cyrax.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I prefer to win legfitmately, people who abuse broken tactics are either not skilled, or wasting their skills.

I will be a character loyalist to Wonder Woman, but will have another 6 or 7 that I will switch between.

"PLAY TO WIN THE GAME"

some aren't smart enough to know when and how and where to use these "broke tactics"

I've never been a tier-whore.If I did happen to use a top tier character,it would be because I enjoy using him/her.I've always been more attracted to underused characters in fighters.And I never complain about how ass my character is or how broken others are even if I believe so.But the one thing that I find the most annoying is that when people say things like''Oh you use Jade?Dude she gets destroyed in this matchup a 7-3 at worst for her.''And right after he says that I play him and destroys him with her and he says shit like''Ohh.I don't know the matchup.It's obvious that my character have more issues and no dirt compared to most but if you are gonna tell me how bad she sucks then you better not get outplayed because it makes you look stupid.As far as competing,I would never travel more than 3 hours away which is why I can only make dallas tournaments and I have family there.If you are gonna travel 2 or more states over just for a tournament,you gotta have the ''Must win''mentality because it's just too expensive and the stress from the travel can be overwhelming.If I did do this then I would be using a top tier character because it would be silly not to.Bottom line:I don't care who everyone uses or what their goals are.Winning is the point of even playing to begin with because no one plays to lose but I enjoy the experience of competing more as long as Im staying within a reasonable budget of doing so.