What's new

The Mortal Kombat 1 Information and General Discussion Thread (Old)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new era begins! This thread is for collecting general information as it's released about the upcoming game, as well as discussion of the the game and its mechanics, details, etc. until release.

GAMEPLAY TRAILER

ED BOON TIMELINE/MECHANICS BASIC INTRO
Ed Boon Short Interview @ Summer Game Fest 2023

ANNOUNCEMENT TRAILER

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
PRESS RELEASE

RELEASE DATE AND PLATFORMS
September 19, 2023 — PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, and PC, including Steam and Epic Games Store.

PRE-ORDER BETA
The Pre-Order Beta will take place from August 18-21.

PRICING / EDITIONS
  • Mortal Kombat 1 Standard Edition will be available physically and digitally for $69.99 (SRP)
  • Mortal Kombat 1 Premium Edition will be available physically and digitally for $109.99 (SRP) — includes all Standard Edition content, along with the Kombat Pack, early access to the game beginning Sept. 14, and 1,250 Dragon Krystals (in-game currency). The Kombat Pack will feature a Johnny Cage character skin with the likeness of famed actor and martial artist, Jean-Claude Van Damme (available at launch), early access to six new playable characters (available post-launch), and five new Kameo Fighters (available post-launch).
  • Mortal Kombat 1 Kollector’s Edition will be available physically at select retailers for $249.99 (SRP) on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S only — includes all Premium Edition content, and early access, along with a 16.5-inch Liu Kang sculpture designed by COARSE and an inspired Liu Kang in-game character skin, three exclusive art prints, a steel case, and 1,450 additional Dragon Krystals (2,700 total).
BASIC INFORMATION
Developed by award-winning NetherRealm Studios, the upcoming game will introduce a reborn Mortal Kombat Universe that has been created by the Fire God Liu Kang, featuring reimagined versions of iconic characters as they’ve never been seen before.​
NetherRealm’s genre-defining Story Mode returns with an immersive cinematic narrative featuring unexpected twists on classic rivalries and original backstories for a wide-ranging cast of legendary fighters, including Liu Kang, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Kung Lao, Kitana, Mileena, Shang Tsung, Johnny Cage, and many others. Mortal Kombat 1 will also introduce Kameo Fighters, a unique roster of partner characters that can assist during matches, creating expanded gameplay possibilities for players.​
NEW MECHANICS
  • Kameo - MK1 introduces "Kameo fighters", which can be called in for assists and combo extenders, breakers, etc. Some Kameo fighters are part of the main roster of the game.
  • Aerial Kombat returns from MK: Armageddon; each character has strings that can only be used on a airborne opponent

Last edited:

Comments

Status
It’s crazy that we’ll all go into this game with hands on knowledge of 6 out of 23 characters. I sure hope the kk is like 3 hours long, but I highly doubt they’d do that. They have to get back to doing nothing
the game is out in 4 days... lol... what the hell do you need to know? In 4 days you will know everything and if you didn't preorder then there will be a zillion videos on utube all saying the exact same thing or showing vs vids...

the game is out in 4 days... lol... what the hell do you need to know? In 4 days you will know everything and if you didn't preorder then there will be a zillion videos on utube all saying the exact same thing or showing vs vids...
I duno like say, you are trying to get me to pre-order the game and give me shang tsung as a pre order bonus

it would be extra enticing, and maybe inform my purchasing decision, if I even knew the slightest bit on how he played or his moves or fuckin anything

I cant think of a fighter launching since like, sf4 era and beyond started where we knew so little about the actual gameplay and characters going in

Who can do what is something I’d like to know. Its necessary because everyone looks fun but it’s tough to play everyone online. Especially since there isn’t a ranking system like sf6 where it’s by character…if you’re moving up then it’s tougher to switch between characters without getting your ass handed to you.

I duno like say, you are trying to get me to pre-order the game and give me shang tsung as a pre order bonus

it would be extra enticing, and maybe inform my purchasing decision, if I even knew the slightest bit on how he played or his moves or fuckin anything

I cant think of a fighter launching since like, sf4 era and beyond started where we knew so little about the actual gameplay and characters going in
Its definitely very strange.
I don't know I could just be making it all up in my head, but this game seems like its coming in real hot.

Like its all hands on deck and no ones got time for anything but making sure this launches in a decent state.

IDK doesn't matter though 4 days.

Well ... like all pre-order characters in the past. They are often immediately sold right after or after certain period of time for like 5-10 bucks. He was shown early on in the first minutes of the story trailer as in the game playing a huge role. So even if you don't get early access premium with DLC that alone will pay for him as he will be available day 1. This was the case with Shao Kahn. The second the game was on shelves you had to purchase him unless pre-order and maybe retailers will have it in the box or even if it's discounted then at best it will go down 10 usd. I mean ... Shang Tsung would likely play how you would expect him too. Just like Goro, Shao Kahn, etc. If you know ur going to play the game then go for it.

I do see your point, however. I think what bothers me most is they keep answering questions about hardware that they said way back in 2019. I mean, for me personally if I know it's what I want. I'm getting it. The pre-order, beta, stress tests, digital copy, hard copy and where to buy had me stressed out though. I settled on the hard physical copy.

Is there a video of all the skins in the game? Really curious to see what the whole faff of these crazy skins is about!

Is there a video of all the skins in the game? Really curious to see what the whole faff of these crazy skins is about!
you could probably check out youtube. but most are just recolors or stuff in story mode/invasions which we don't know if is a skin in the actual game. but if you don't wont to be spoiled then i would wait. less than 4 days for early access.

This was my issue when the game was first announced. Announcing a character that was already dlc in the last game as a preorder character in the very first trailer? Turned me off.

but this game seems like its coming in real hot.

Like its all hands on deck and no ones got time for anything but making sure this launches in a decent state.
I'm getting the same impression. I suspect the game has had a very challenging development cycle. This seems to be more and more a trend in the industry.

Keep in mind Early Access on Thursday is just that, early access. The game doesn't official launch until Tues. Sep. 19th, so there could be a host of issues with the Early Access version.

Time will tell.

I'm getting the same impression. I suspect the game has had a very challenging development cycle. This seems to be more and more a trend in the industry.

Keep in mind Early Access on Thursday is just that, early access. The game doesn't official launch until Tues. Sep. 19th, so there could be a host of issues with the Early Access version.

Time will tell.
Yeah. I hope the early access version isn't fucked. If it is though and we complain about it, there will be tons of people on this site here to "erm ahkshually it's early access so technically it hasn't received the official day one patch, be glad you even have it"

Yeah. I hope the early access version isn't fucked. If it is though and we complain about it, there will be tons of people on this site here to "erm ahkshually it's early access so technically it hasn't received the official day one patch, be glad you even have it"
That's the thing though, because it is early access it very well could be a broken mess at points and there may very well be a day 1 patch that cleans a lot of things up.

Or the game could be a mess for a long while. That's been the case with lots of Triple A releases lately.

Obviously the hope is that it's all fine, plays well, and has at worst minor performance issues. We'll find out in a few days.

That's the thing though, because it is early access it very well could be a broken mess at points and there may very well be a day 1 patch that cleans a lot of things up.

Or the game could be a mess for a long while. That's been the case with lots of Triple A releases lately.

Obviously the hope is that it's all fine, plays well, and has at worst minor performance issues. We'll find out in a few days.
No, I get what you're saying. I think NRS games are mostly well polished in terms of their features working and I fully expect MK1 to have a clean launch, even the early release version of the game (and I genuinely think it will be great). It's not just a hope that it plays well, it's an expectation, as we dropped extra money with one of the selling points being that we get the game earlier.

I was making the point that the same people who are calling people piss babies or saying obvious things like "the game comes out in x days anyway" when people are complaining about there being a less than satisfactory amount of info on the game pre-release, are gonna be the ones that say the "well it's early access, I don't know why you expected a functional game" if it were to launch badly. Ed Boon could shit in their hand and they'd be like "Oh wow a Noob Saibot cameo."

Like I said, I think MK1 will kick ass in the early release version, but I fully expect MK shills to defend it even if it doesn't, which bugs me. I'll be disgusted if they launch it poorly instead of delaying it. I'm not paying extra to be a beta tester, I'm paying extra to play the game early.

No, I get what you're saying. I think NRS games are mostly well polished in terms of their features working and I fully expect MK1 to have a clean launch, even the early release version of the game (and I genuinely think it will be great). It's not just a hope that it plays well, it's an expectation, as we dropped extra money with one of the selling points being that we get the game earlier.

I was making the point that the same people who are calling people piss babies or saying obvious things like "the game comes out in x days anyway" when people are complaining about there being a less than satisfactory amount of info on the game pre-release, are gonna be the ones that say the "well it's early access, I don't know why you expected a functional game" if it were to launch badly. Ed Boon could shit in their hand and they'd be like "Oh wow a Noob Saibot cameo."

Like I said, I think MK1 will kick ass in the early release version, but I fully expect MK shills to defend it even if it doesn't, which bugs me. I'll be disgusted if they launch it poorly instead of delaying it. I'm not paying extra to be a beta tester, I'm paying extra to play the game early.
Point taken. I do really hope it's good on all platforms. I'm very excited for Thursday. I enjoyed both the Stress Test and the Beta and didn't have some of the odd bugs others reported, but we'll see.

Status