What's new

The Mortal Kombat 1 Information and General Discussion Thread (Old)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new era begins! This thread is for collecting general information as it's released about the upcoming game, as well as discussion of the the game and its mechanics, details, etc. until release.

GAMEPLAY TRAILER

ED BOON TIMELINE/MECHANICS BASIC INTRO
Ed Boon Short Interview @ Summer Game Fest 2023

ANNOUNCEMENT TRAILER

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
PRESS RELEASE

RELEASE DATE AND PLATFORMS
September 19, 2023 — PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, and PC, including Steam and Epic Games Store.

PRE-ORDER BETA
The Pre-Order Beta will take place from August 18-21.

PRICING / EDITIONS
  • Mortal Kombat 1 Standard Edition will be available physically and digitally for $69.99 (SRP)
  • Mortal Kombat 1 Premium Edition will be available physically and digitally for $109.99 (SRP) — includes all Standard Edition content, along with the Kombat Pack, early access to the game beginning Sept. 14, and 1,250 Dragon Krystals (in-game currency). The Kombat Pack will feature a Johnny Cage character skin with the likeness of famed actor and martial artist, Jean-Claude Van Damme (available at launch), early access to six new playable characters (available post-launch), and five new Kameo Fighters (available post-launch).
  • Mortal Kombat 1 Kollector’s Edition will be available physically at select retailers for $249.99 (SRP) on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S only — includes all Premium Edition content, and early access, along with a 16.5-inch Liu Kang sculpture designed by COARSE and an inspired Liu Kang in-game character skin, three exclusive art prints, a steel case, and 1,450 additional Dragon Krystals (2,700 total).
BASIC INFORMATION
Developed by award-winning NetherRealm Studios, the upcoming game will introduce a reborn Mortal Kombat Universe that has been created by the Fire God Liu Kang, featuring reimagined versions of iconic characters as they’ve never been seen before.​
NetherRealm’s genre-defining Story Mode returns with an immersive cinematic narrative featuring unexpected twists on classic rivalries and original backstories for a wide-ranging cast of legendary fighters, including Liu Kang, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Kung Lao, Kitana, Mileena, Shang Tsung, Johnny Cage, and many others. Mortal Kombat 1 will also introduce Kameo Fighters, a unique roster of partner characters that can assist during matches, creating expanded gameplay possibilities for players.​
NEW MECHANICS
  • Kameo - MK1 introduces "Kameo fighters", which can be called in for assists and combo extenders, breakers, etc. Some Kameo fighters are part of the main roster of the game.
  • Aerial Kombat returns from MK: Armageddon; each character has strings that can only be used on a airborne opponent

Last edited:

Comments

Status
Keep in mind Early Access on Thursday is just that, early access. The game doesn't official launch until Tues. Sep. 19th, so there could be a host of issues with the Early Access version.
Its the full version, its not like early access is a different game. Its simply marketing to get people to spend even more money and get more ROI per unit sold on the expensive version.

I had this weird dream twice in one sleep that there was an update to MK1 like the MK11 Aftermath update, and the new “big bad” was Ferra/Torr for some reason. It felt so real and also made no sense and there was a lot of backlash. Super strange…

Like I said, I think MK1 will kick ass in the early release version, but I fully expect MK shills to defend it even if it doesn't, which bugs me. I'll be disgusted if they launch it poorly instead of delaying it. I'm not paying extra to be a beta tester, I'm paying extra to play the game early.
While I 100% understand your argument about stan behaviour I feel the exact opposite regarding the release of an early version. Did you play the beta and did you enjoy it? I did and had fun with it so I just want to play the game - I won't say no matter what but if it comes to fighting games I wouldn't mind a barebone release just to be able to experience it as early as possible as long as it is not a complete mess technically. I don't mean that developers shouldn't aim for the best possible product but if you are willing to take my money as early as it is announced then let me play. I'd happily be a beta tester if NRS said hey, we have 10 characters and 6 kameos and classic towers available, do you want to play? Hell yes I want to.

A lot of us had fun with the Beta even though there were clear issues but my overall experience and feeling was fun and excitement. I don't see how it would be better to delay the game than let us have fun with it even if there are some issues. The reality is that there always are. I didn't play MK9 at launch. In fact I didn't play it until the Komplete Edition was out on PC. I was messing around with it and searched YouTube for combo tutorials. And some of them I just couldn't pull off for the life of me. I thought it was a skill issue. I didn't even realized back than that certain combo options and routes were just patched out. And to this day this is one of my most hated issue if it comes to NRS games: don't take away the fun stuff. I'd rather take a damage nerf than changing strings in ways they don't work anymore. Do I think I don't want to play until the final patch is out and everything is set in stone? No way.

My point is, issues are almost unavoidable. It could be infinites, it could be overpowered/broken stuff, it could be balance issues, the game will change eventually. It can change in a way some of us don't want it to change ever. I just want to play and have fun with it.

On a side note, I was there when the infamous MKX PC version launched in 2015 and had first hand experience with it. When I first loaded it up, it run in slow motion and crashed on me in minutes. It had bad memory leak issues and was literally unplayable. Some Day 3 patch made it playable in a way that I could finish a Tower if I made it within 25-30 minutes. I had memory check on and I could follow when I will run out of memory (I had recommended specs by the way). The game launched in April, the Jason patch eliminated the memory leak issue (May), the Tanya patch made overall performance a bit worse and the memory leak was back if I'm not mistaken. The Predator patch (July) was kinda stable and the Tremor patch (August) was the first when the game run good (but still not flawless). Ever since QLOC took over the NRS PC ports, I have run into only minor issues and even the bugs are ironed out much faster. During MK11, one of the patches introduced a crashing issue I contacted QLOC about and it was solved one patch later (it was some nVidia issue if I remember correctly so AMD players weren't affected) but that was the worst. I don't want to experience anything like that MKX PC launch mess once again but to be honest, what comes to mind first is not how High Voltage messed it up but how hyped I was to see the new characters in motion (even is slow motion).

So even though I understand that nobody wants to see anything less than perfection, if you had fun with an imperfect, incomplete Beta then you should be excited about the Early Access. Then you can report any bugs and issues and feel free to criticize the game if you don't like it but right now I feel that I can have fun with a potentially imperfect build for a while.

I had this weird dream twice in one sleep that there was an update to MK1 like the MK11 Aftermath update, and the new “big bad” was Ferra/Torr for some reason. It felt so real and also made no sense and there was a lot of backlash. Super strange…
I had a dream where I was playing the game last night. No new content or anything, just playing the normal game.

On a side note, I was there when the infamous MKX PC version launched in 2015 and had first hand experience with it.
Me too. I didn't have crashing issues, thankfully, but I had to drop the game to 900p and disable motion blur for it to be a stable frame rate. Once QLOC came onboard, I was able to play at 1080p with all the bells and whistles on, no hardware changes on my end.

High Voltage Software was really over their heads with it.

While I 100% understand your argument about stan behaviour I feel the exact opposite regarding the release of an early version. Did you play the beta and did you enjoy it? I did and had fun with it so I just want to play the game - I won't say no matter what but if it comes to fighting games I wouldn't mind a barebone release just to be able to experience it as early as possible as long as it is not a complete mess technically. I don't mean that developers shouldn't aim for the best possible product but if you are willing to take my money as early as it is announced then let me play. I'd happily be a beta tester if NRS said hey, we have 10 characters and 6 kameos and classic towers available, do you want to play? Hell yes I want to.

A lot of us had fun with the Beta even though there were clear issues but my overall experience and feeling was fun and excitement. I don't see how it would be better to delay the game than let us have fun with it even if there are some issues. The reality is that there always are. I didn't play MK9 at launch. In fact I didn't play it until the Komplete Edition was out on PC. I was messing around with it and searched YouTube for combo tutorials. And some of them I just couldn't pull off for the life of me. I thought it was a skill issue. I didn't even realized back than that certain combo options and routes were just patched out. And to this day this is one of my most hated issue if it comes to NRS games: don't take away the fun stuff. I'd rather take a damage nerf than changing strings in ways they don't work anymore. Do I think I don't want to play until the final patch is out and everything is set in stone? No way.

My point is, issues are almost unavoidable. It could be infinites, it could be overpowered/broken stuff, it could be balance issues, the game will change eventually. It can change in a way some of us don't want it to change ever. I just want to play and have fun with it.

On a side note, I was there when the infamous MKX PC version launched in 2015 and had first hand experience with it. When I first loaded it up, it run in slow motion and crashed on me in minutes. It had bad memory leak issues and was literally unplayable. Some Day 3 patch made it playable in a way that I could finish a Tower if I made it within 25-30 minutes. I had memory check on and I could follow when I will run out of memory (I had recommended specs by the way). The game launched in April, the Jason patch eliminated the memory leak issue (May), the Tanya patch made overall performance a bit worse and the memory leak was back if I'm not mistaken. The Predator patch (July) was kinda stable and the Tremor patch (August) was the first when the game run good (but still not flawless). Ever since QLOC took over the NRS PC ports, I have run into only minor issues and even the bugs are ironed out much faster. During MK11, one of the patches introduced a crashing issue I contacted QLOC about and it was solved one patch later (it was some nVidia issue if I remember correctly so AMD players weren't affected) but that was the worst. I don't want to experience anything like that MKX PC launch mess once again but to be honest, what comes to mind first is not how High Voltage messed it up but how hyped I was to see the new characters in motion (even is slow motion).

So even though I understand that nobody wants to see anything less than perfection, if you had fun with an imperfect, incomplete Beta then you should be excited about the Early Access. Then you can report any bugs and issues and feel free to criticize the game if you don't like it but right now I feel that I can have fun with a potentially imperfect build for a while.
I’m fine with a few bugs and stuff, I don’t expect NRS themselves to find every single bug, it makes way more sense that the bugs would be known when the game is exposed to more people. That’s cool with me.

I do however expect the early version of the game to launch in a state that’s typical for an NRS game.

I’m fine with a few bugs and stuff, I don’t expect NRS themselves to find every single bug, it makes way more sense that the bugs would be known when the game is exposed to more people. That’s cool with me.

I do however expect the early version of the game to launch in a state that’s typical for an NRS game.
I am expecting the beta bugs to be solved but I still expect some bugs cause its a new engine.

I'm so upset rn cause I accidentally bought normal edition due to lag awhile ago

And xbox wouldn't let me refund

Last edited:
Status