What's new

The Mortal Kombat 1 Information and General Discussion Thread (Old)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new era begins! This thread is for collecting general information as it's released about the upcoming game, as well as discussion of the the game and its mechanics, details, etc. until release.

GAMEPLAY TRAILER

ED BOON TIMELINE/MECHANICS BASIC INTRO
Ed Boon Short Interview @ Summer Game Fest 2023

ANNOUNCEMENT TRAILER

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
PRESS RELEASE

RELEASE DATE AND PLATFORMS
September 19, 2023 — PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, and PC, including Steam and Epic Games Store.

PRE-ORDER BETA
The Pre-Order Beta will take place from August 18-21.

PRICING / EDITIONS
  • Mortal Kombat 1 Standard Edition will be available physically and digitally for $69.99 (SRP)
  • Mortal Kombat 1 Premium Edition will be available physically and digitally for $109.99 (SRP) — includes all Standard Edition content, along with the Kombat Pack, early access to the game beginning Sept. 14, and 1,250 Dragon Krystals (in-game currency). The Kombat Pack will feature a Johnny Cage character skin with the likeness of famed actor and martial artist, Jean-Claude Van Damme (available at launch), early access to six new playable characters (available post-launch), and five new Kameo Fighters (available post-launch).
  • Mortal Kombat 1 Kollector’s Edition will be available physically at select retailers for $249.99 (SRP) on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S only — includes all Premium Edition content, and early access, along with a 16.5-inch Liu Kang sculpture designed by COARSE and an inspired Liu Kang in-game character skin, three exclusive art prints, a steel case, and 1,450 additional Dragon Krystals (2,700 total).
BASIC INFORMATION
Developed by award-winning NetherRealm Studios, the upcoming game will introduce a reborn Mortal Kombat Universe that has been created by the Fire God Liu Kang, featuring reimagined versions of iconic characters as they’ve never been seen before.​
NetherRealm’s genre-defining Story Mode returns with an immersive cinematic narrative featuring unexpected twists on classic rivalries and original backstories for a wide-ranging cast of legendary fighters, including Liu Kang, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Kung Lao, Kitana, Mileena, Shang Tsung, Johnny Cage, and many others. Mortal Kombat 1 will also introduce Kameo Fighters, a unique roster of partner characters that can assist during matches, creating expanded gameplay possibilities for players.​
NEW MECHANICS
  • Kameo - MK1 introduces "Kameo fighters", which can be called in for assists and combo extenders, breakers, etc. Some Kameo fighters are part of the main roster of the game.
  • Aerial Kombat returns from MK: Armageddon; each character has strings that can only be used on a airborne opponent

Last edited:

Comments

Status
the seems like a weird gripe to have, eventually a game doesn't need more art, what are the artists supposed to work on? while the last stretch of development is about bug fixes and balancing, the artists move on to DLC.
I have no delusion that this is not the standard practice nowadays and it likely wont change, I just don't like it. It feels, to me, in a smaller scale, akin to making the game ship with half the roster so it launches faster and then sell the other half later. It's not an afterthought or expansion in the sense of the word we have with some other games and companies like I mentioned.

Again, I know it wont change.

I still dont understand why Steph (and others) are saying Kameos are going to bring a lot of obscure characters back...
Where did they say "a lot" though? Steph just said they could bring some characters back that haven't been seen in over a decade. I recall Ed saying we were going to see some interesting things done with 3D era characters in the game. I don't recall anyone saying a lot save the fans themselves.

You're gonna be heartbroken when the game comes out then. Rain's bio yesterday confirmed the roster leak to be true.
Anything's possible, time will tell. I don't think so though, and I go by official announcements and not leaks. My still expect 2-4 3d era characters in the base roster, and 4 is pushing it. As I've said in another thread, more than 4 and I vomit.

Where did they say "a lot" though? Steph just said they could bring some characters back that haven't been seen in over a decade. I recall Ed saying we were going to see some interesting things done with 3D era characters in the game. I don't recall anyone saying a lot save the fans themselves.
I just rewatched the KK and I have indeed misremembered what Steph said - she said it was an opportunity to have the classic characters with their moves and even the classic effects while ALSO bringing characters not playable for more than a decade.

I'd have to check out Boon's other interviews to confirm it as well, but I was under the impression they were promoting kameos as more on the side of obscure characters than classic ones, but so far that might just be my brain malfunctioning lol. My bad!

Noob Saibot is a massively important storypoint for whoever becomes him. If he is in this game as dlc, its going to come with a story expansion. You don't just casually drop "oh yeah that major character who died? They became a new character off screen"
You’re right. I think Bi Han Sub is going to be a main villain by the end of the story, and the story expansion will introduce him as Noob Saibot and whoever is the new Sub. Assuming Kuai Liang is Scoprion and stays that way.

Noob Saibot is a massively important storypoint for whoever becomes him. If he is in this game as dlc, its going to come with a story expansion. You don't just casually drop "oh yeah that major character who died? They became a new character off screen"
Unless its a kameo.

"oh yeah that major character who died? They became a new character off screen"
Triborg?

edit: My point being: DLC usually means non canon unless story expansion comes and that only happened with aftermath but who knows.

As much as I love Noob Saibot and am sad I probably can't play as him in this game, I would be even more sad to have him be a kharacter-only DLC with a little bio that just says "after Bi-Han died, he's this guy now because he was so angry shrug".

As much as I love Noob Saibot and am sad I probably can't play as him in this game, I would be even more sad to have him be a kharacter-only DLC with a little bio that just says "after Bi-Han died, he's this guy now because he was so angry shrug".
The bio would probably say something like "Liu Kang's meddlings with the hourglass had unforeseen consequences, such as the revival of a deadly undead warrior".

Way before the game's existence was known, wasn't there someone who asked Boon about Chameleon on Twitter and he said something along the lines of "hold on to your butts" and whatnot ? Could be very much a Frost assist situation. Unless it was a discreet Onslaught tease (remember that one ?) or his usual... provocative behavior.

Has anyone noticed a difference with the stresstest build and the build they used for the Kombat Kast? Speed wise etc?

I could see a "Netherrealm" story dlc, with Quan Chi and Ermac in KP1, then Noob and maybe Sareena in KP2.

Johnny and Kenshi look so well designed, they make every other character look undercooked in comparison. Like if you're going all out for these guys, everyone else should get the same love. Like Liu Kang for example, he's straight up the poster child for this game, but he's so dull design wise. He has that dope ass blue and orange fire, but its aesthetic only. Give him like a SFV Gill mechanic where his attacks inflict different effects. All of his orange fire attacks deal small DoT, all of his blue fire attacks drain a small amount of meter. And if you hit an opponent with the opposite fire while they're already under the others' effect, something else cool happens.

I'm just saying Johnny and Kenshi are damn near on Guilty Gear character levels of complex, but they're fighting standard ass fighting game characters who just have fireballs and uppercuts.

I guess that does sound mostly like a complaint, its more of praise for how incredible those two look.

Status