What's new

Sonya - is she top 5 in your opinion?

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I think also Kitana would be like 5.5 4.5 in Kitanas favor since once Kitana has a decent life lead she can out zone Sonya easely and just fly away and start over and force an error but up close the armored special is really good but i think on top level 16 bit (in my opinion best kitana) would beat riu (in my opinion best sonya).
Sonya can throw 2 rings by the time Kitana can jump the first and return a fan.

Kitana has to start the zoning first, but even then its hard to keep up.
If she jumps forward she's likely to eat a 39% AA reset combo which only seems to work on Kitana players (more than any other character)

I've never felt out of control in the Sonya/Kitana matchup. Not sure if that makes it a 5-5 or if I'm just used to the Cage Kitana matchup being more or less out of his control.

I think the Ex Cartwheel is overrated, its good but not that spectacular. Its best use IMO is against iafbs. If you wanna break out of blockstrings her standing 1 is usually a better idea since its 7 frames, only Sektor and KL can match that speed. That means that Sonya can easily break out of Cages blockstrings by either divekicking to counter his pokes, or mashing standing 1 to counter his strings.

If you know your frame data that standing 1 becomes very powerful.

Then she has things like her D4MSF1 which is+1 on block and can be done from rediculous distance and linked into Cartwheel, but I'd rather take the frame advantage, the less you use the cartwheel the more likely it will hit.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
The thing I hate about Sonya, is 1: bs divekick into combo, reset nonsense and the fact she can quite literally scoot around on her ass with d4 msf1. That stuff is incredibly obnoxious.

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
Yeah, I just recently started going to the lab with her just to mess around and maannnnnn, this character is kinda ridiculous. If her zoning was any better, she'd be borderline broken. That being said, its about time Sonya has gotten some love. I'm not a huge historian of the Mk series, but I can't recall a previous Mk where she was this good.

Death

Noob
Yeah, I just recently started going to the lab with her just to mess around and maannnnnn, this character is kinda ridiculous. If her zoning was any better, she'd be borderline broken. That being said, its about time Sonya has gotten some love. I'm not a huge historian of the Mk series, but I can't recall a previous Mk where she was this good.
I like where your heads at. I picked her up right around New years and been loving her ever since. Shes ridiculous and her projectile is actually pretty good.

Altaire

Noob
Sonya is top ten, but not top five. She has more bad matchups than several other top-tier characters, which automatically makes her lower. When I asked Morty Seinfeld, he said he thinks she ranks from 5-7. I'd already ranked her at a solid 6, and I feel that's pretty accurate. She has pretty much everything, but she has just the right amount of holes in her offense to be exploitable. In contrast, Kabal and Raiden have almost none. You have to flatly outplay those characters to beat them.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Sonya is top ten, but not top five. She has more bad matchups than several other top-tier characters, which automatically makes her lower. When I asked Morty Seinfeld, he said he thinks she ranks from 5-7. I'd already ranked her at a solid 6, and I feel that's pretty accurate. She has pretty much everything, but she has just the right amount of holes in her offense to be exploitable. In contrast, Kabal and Raiden have almost none. You have to flatly outplay those characters to beat them.
Ok, so Kabal and Raiden, but who else? Can't be Kung Lao because low hitbox characters ruin his day, can't be Cyrax or Cyblax, so Smoke, Jax, Kitana and Kenshi all ahead of her in your opinion?

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
I like where your heads at. I picked her up right around New years and been loving her ever since. Shes ridiculous and her projectile is actually pretty good.
Thanks man. I think its only a matter of time before you win a major man. I've been hearing a lot of good things about you and you delivered at WB. That Mileena and Sonya combo is deadly.

Death

Noob
Thanks man. I think its only a matter of time before you win a major man. I've been hearing a lot of good things about you and you delivered at WB. That Mileena and Sonya combo is deadly.
Thanks man i appreciate that. If i can somehow beat the domincan brothers and Reo i may have a chance.

LEGEND

YES!
im working on my own complete chart right now and its quite possible that she takes the 5th spot on my list, i have some random shit with her that really ups her deffensive potential, not sure what MUs that might effect though as of now but it could be enough to move her up

i know this thread is probably dead but i just started getting into high level shit with this character so i wanted to check out some reliable opinions

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Her only real bad matchup is Kabal.

ZtrideRz

Noob
Well I really struggle against her with kung lao like I do kitanna when she has relentless pressure up close.