What's new

Sonya - is she top 5 in your opinion?

Flagg

Noob
Sonya is top 3 imo!

Easily one of the best characters in the game, once she gets a hit in, it's a massive combo. She has what I call the touch of death. I think soon people are going to realise that Skarlet is much the same, though Sonya is better than Skarlet.

Death

Noob
Ah man you brought the crazyness on MKU to here. Yes of course sonya is top 5. Her 3 bad MUs is kenshi, freddy and kabal. Shes a KL killer. You lose all credibility when you say KL beats sonya. Play her right.

Sub-Zero and Noob dont beat her 6-4. Thats crazy. Its 5-5. Possibly Sonya sub is in sonyas favor but ill leave it at 5-5.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
Freddy a bad match up for Sonya? I'm not too sure about that one, I've only played 3 Freddy players 5-5 I feel. Kenshi and Kabal on the other hand, those are just awful MU if she had a more effective way getting in that is not risky like her Cartwheel/Arc Kick. Sonya is easy to zone out like Cage but Kenshi/Kabal have the heavy zoning advantage WITH armor.

REO

Undead
There's no way in hell Sonya loses to Kabal 3-7. Characters that lose to Kabal 3-7 are ones that have poor footsies and ground game EVEN when they get in like CSZ and Sheeva that are stripped off their air freedom. No way in hell does Sonya have it as bad as them with the shit she has(armor cartwheel, d+4~ms, etc.). She loses 4-6.

Death

Noob
Freddy a bad match up for Sonya? I'm not too sure about that one, I've only played 3 Freddy players 5-5 I feel. Kenshi and Kabal on the other hand, those are just awful MU if she had a more effective way getting in that is not risky like her Cartwheel/Arc Kick. Sonya is easy to zone out like Cage but Kenshi/Kabal have the heavy zoning advantage WITH armor.
Yeah i dont think sonya loses any MU 3-7. I think kenshi freddy and kabal are 4-6. And all winnable if played right/smart. Those IMO are her only bad MUs and IMO i think shes a top 3 character. Sonya is disgusting. If someone doesnt think shes top 5 than their not playing her right. Im annoyed and find it ridiculous when people who use sonya have sonya losing to KL. Smh.

But Freddy is bad. Play M2Daves Freddy. Its really bad. I can see it winnable tho. M2Dave is a freddy expert and my sonya isnt at 100% just yet. Id liek to see how Morty, Riu or Foxy would do vs his freddy. Seems really bad for sonya.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
I haven't played him but I've played xXBuryMeinBlackXx and his Freddy offense game is very good up close as well full screen. It's winnable but if the Freddy player wants to sit full screen with tossing gloves and ground spikes, lame... but it's super annoying. Up close they are both even, I never saw anyone played Freddy like him - it's very interesting. Still, the most annoying one for me is Kenshi, one push and you are at full screen trying to get back in again while getting slapped around *sighs*

Espio

Kokomo
Sonya's really, really good, but not top 5, I'd say she's top 10 though at the number 7-8 range. She's one of the most complete characters in the game. She has bad match ups, but pretty much everyone has some here and there.

I think also Kitana would be like 5.5 4.5 in Kitanas favor since once Kitana has a decent life lead she can out zone Sonya easely and just fly away and start over and force an error but up close the armored special is really good but i think on top level 16 bit (in my opinion best kitana) would beat riu (in my opinion best sonya).

Death

Noob
I think also Kitana would be like 5.5 4.5 in Kitanas favor since once Kitana has a decent life lead she can out zone Sonya easely and just fly away and start over and force an error but up close the armored special is really good but i think on top level 16 bit (in my opinion best kitana) would beat riu (in my opinion best sonya).
I dont wanna get off topic but I think Morty is the best since he beat Maxter, RIU 48 and also beat 16 bit at Dev...I do think that MU is a 5-5. Same can be said about sonya when she gets the life lead.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I have Kitana vs. Sonya at 5-5. It's all about the early life lead and both probably have equal chance of getting it.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
I believe Kitana vs Sonya is 5-5. We should check with 16Bit what advantages does Kitana and Sonya have on each other with the logic 5-5 is best suited for this MU. After all, he did play Morty and probably some other heavy Sonya players online too.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
In terms of match ups; Sonya obviously has the hardest time against hardcore zoning. That said, imo I don't believe she has an unwinable match up (nothing worse than a 4/6). Her worst match ups are probably going to be Kenshi, Freddy, and maybe even Noob Saibot. The reason I think she is either first or second best in the game are:

Off of any poke she can MS into low then cartwheel for at least 6%. This builds tons of meter and allows her to use EX-cartwheel very often. EX-cartwheel is the best move in the game; it has armor, it leads to a full combo and then rests back into MS, it is safe on block so it can be thrown out with no fear, you can throw two out in a time if you feel your opponent will pressure you after blocking the first one, it moves a noticeable distance, and it's very hard to jump over. Sonya also gets a lot of free jump in punches since you must respect the option of dive kick which goes into 40% then rests back into MS mix ups for more damage or chip - all safe on block! Her basic and simple projectile is more than enough to make zoners respect her anti-zoning, allowing her to get in much easier than other pure rush down characters like Johnny Cage or Baraka.

IMO, the only other character who comes close to Sonya in S-tier is Smoke. After these two characters I feel there's a really even range amongst most of the A-tier characters.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
people not putting Kenshi in top 5 are insane. Who blows him up? 2... maybe 3 characters?
People underestimate Kung Lao and overestimate Smoke.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
If you read EX cartwheel you can punish it with NJP.

blocked dive kick = full combo punish.

Noserfatu

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
No because these 4 characters are better:

Kabal
Raiden
Smoke
Cyblax

And these 3 characters are arguably better, and I'm going to say that when its all said and done, 1 or 2 of these chars will be considered better:

Kung Lao
Jax
Mileena

Lastly, the wild card, Skarlett has a very good chance of being better than Sonya considering she plays similar to Sonya with better zoning.

I'm pretty confident Sonya is slightly outside of the top 5, although she's very very good (and fun to play as).

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
I don't know, man.

Freddy, Rain, Johnny Cage, Saibot, Sindel and any other character that can keep Sonya pretty jailed/in place can give her a hard time. Also, in theory wouldn't Cyber Sub Zero and Kenshi do well, too?

Hmm...
Which makes me think I might start using Kenshi against Sonya's I can't beat with Rain.

Death

Noob
No because these 4 characters are better:

Kabal
Raiden
Smoke
Cyblax

And these 3 characters are arguably better, and I'm going to say that when its all said and done, 1 or 2 of these chars will be considered better:

Kung Lao
Jax
Mileena

Lastly, the wild card, Skarlett has a very good chance of being better than Sonya considering she plays similar to Sonya with better zoning.

I'm pretty confident Sonya is slightly outside of the top 5, although she's very very good (and fun to play as).
No to most of this. Sonya is alot better than KL and Mileena. Way better actually. Skarlet is good but people dont know the MU and i think shell die down. Cyblax is obviously a very good character but like Cyrax i think there overrated. They need their resets and even with that they are not top 5 imo. I do agree with kabal and smoke in your top 5 however.

May get blown up for saying this but i think sonya is much better than Jax. I think people just say Jax is good because of CDJr. Has any1 thought maybe CDJr is winning with a character thats not top 5?

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
people not putting Kenshi in top 5 are insane. Who blows him up? 2... maybe 3 characters?
People underestimate Kung Lao and overestimate Smoke.
I probably fall in with the group of people who fit this bill.

I do not have Kenshi in my top 5 (probably not even top 10). This is probably due to my personal experience against him. I've never lost an important match to Blackula nor Teef who are considered 2 of the best Kenshi players in the States. On top of this I believe they are incredibly skilled an intelligent players - however I would say I don't even have a hard time against them (with Sektor at the very least). Once you respect Kenshi, you lose. Jump over him randomly, mess his zoning with IAF and other guide-able projectiles, and once he has no meter pressure the shit out of him. A good Kenshi will use meter a lot, leaving no room for breakers thus allowing a ton of damage. Characters who can drain meter should do so as much as possible.

Kung Lao has been killed by the community. He now gets punish by a lot of the cast for throwing a low hat from any point in the screen. For instance Scorpion, Ermac, Raiden, Sektor, Mileena, can all punish him from anywhere for throwing one low hat "on reaction". Kung Lao is the most unsafe character in the game and if you have the life lead he's as good as finished no mater what character you are. Wait for Kung Lao to make a move, because every move he can make is punishable.

Smoke is incredible! He has the fastest overhead in the game that leads into damage exploits coupled with one of the best d1 and d3's in the game to make you not always just block high. He builds meter the best in the game from far range and can lame out 90% of the cast if he gets a life lead. Since he builds ton of meter he has enough to EXsmoke bomb every time he touches you and go pure invis to make his mix ups even more intense. In terms of bad match ups? I can only think of a possible 2: Raiden and Kung Lao. And they can't even be worse than a 4/6.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
Sonya's Cartwheel is not safe on block, it gets stuffed by D1. The armored Ex Cartwheel is good, also Rain's armored Ex Roundhouse Kick is a combo starter too. I agree Sonya builds meter fast with everything she touches. Her MS high, low, overhead 50/50 guessing game is crazy. Can't anti-air her Dive Kick, hard to do cross ups because of her D4 small hitbox, poking her is risk because of her Dive Kick, tough to win air-to-air because of her Dive Kick, Arc Kick and Air Grab. Her Ring Toss is Ok, I would prefer it to have a faster start up with slower recovery than slow start up with fast recovery. My favorite Sonya normal move is her F4, it's slow but if you get hit by it ...XD

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
To put it in simple terms, people don't understand how just god damn good Sonya is because she's probably one of the 3 most technical characters to play (Skarlet and Kabal) and understand how to fight against.