What's new

Sonya - is she top 5 in your opinion?

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Seriously. If Sonya is not then who is and how many bad MU do you think they have?
I think Sonya is easily top 5.

Raiden, Kabal, Kung Lao, Smoke and possibly Kitana would be the other potential top 5's? I know Smoke has worse matchups than what are listed here for Sonya, though. Jax has to be one of Smoke's absolute worst matchups. If it wasn't for the reset I think he would get destroyed in that matchup.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
There's too many characters with more than 2 bad matchups. That's why I said she doesn't have enough major advantage matchups.

And you'd be surprised...Kabal does have more bad matchups than you'd realize. Not a lot, just more than expected.

LEGEND

YES!
On an unrelated note, if anyone thinks Kabal has 4-5 bad MUs is a fooooooool. :p.
most Kabal players that say that are referring to the MUs that they don't have the advantage in, simply don't know what to do when the can't zone the whole time

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
^ Scorpion, Sektor, Raiden, Mileena, Kabal

all have zero "Bad" MUs if you want to make that argument Bit
I feel like a charecter that is strong in the corner has advantage over Sek. And Mileena may not have bad MU's but I personaly don't have problems beating Mileena. And no, to all you Mileena mainers, I'm not saying your main is bad, or that I will beat your Mileena everytime. I'm just saying that for some reason, I have a pretty easy time against her.

I agree that Sek dosn't have any really "bad" match ups. But some charecters can give him trouble. Escpecially in the corner. I also agree with the other 4 fighters.

LEGEND

YES!
i agree with that, though his style (plus grapple set-ups) make it less likely for him to be stuck in the corner

Aris_adapted

Aristotle
I think yes, of course Sonya walks into top 5. She has some bad matchups, but not so much. It's uneasily to play with characters such as Mileena, Kitana, Kabal and Kung Lao. It's my private opinion

Z-911-Z

Bone and Metal
1. Raiden
2. Kabal
3. Cyblax
4. Kung Lao
5. Smoke

I don't believe that Sonya has it as good as these guys.

swag1

EX smash solves all
Hell, I think she's #2. Would be #1 if she didn't get beaten by zoners.

1. Kabal
2. Sonya
3. Kitana
4. Raiden
5. Sektor

Z-911-Z

Bone and Metal
How about the Sonya/Rain matchup? I have to imagine that ex roundhouse really screws up Sonya's game if Rain has meter.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
How about the Sonya/Rain matchup? I have to imagine that ex roundhouse really screws up Sonya's game if Rain has meter.
Probably not very relevant since Sonya can start offense outside of EX superkick's range. I also know that Mileena's d+4 crouches under EX superkick, but I am not sure where Sonya's d+4 does.

LEGEND

YES!
Probably not very relevant since Sonya can start offense outside of EX superkick's range. I also know that Mileena's d+4 crouches under EX superkick, but I am not sure where Sonya's d+4 does.
EX Round house's range is nearly irrelevant, Canceling EX to give any followup move armor is what makes him good

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Her 7 frame jab and Ex Cartwheel are just the same affect against Rain, except she dont need meter to interupt since Rains moves are all slower

Rains footsies are nowhere near as good as hers either.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
EX Round house's range is nearly irrelevant, Canceling EX to give any followup move armor is what makes him good
All right.

So Sonya will poke you with d+4 two or characters away to try to initiate her offense, and you will do an EX superkick, cancel, aaand what?

Besides, I would take EX cartwheel over EX superkick. EX cartwheel is like 10 frame faster, has more range, and does not suffer from a poor hitbox.

LEGEND

YES!
All right.

So Sonya will poke you with d+4 two or characters away to try to initiate her offense, and you will do an EX superkick, cancel, aaand what?

Besides, I would take EX cartwheel over EX superkick. EX cartwheel is like 10 frame faster, has more range, and does not suffer from a poor hitbox.
i wasn't talking about this matchup in particular, and what does " d+4 two or characters away" mean. . .?

edit: example, cancel into 43 RH/C. hit confirms into combo or keeps the pressure on

The thing is, this game is based on matchups man

You take Kitana, she is an amazing character, put her up against Smoke, Kung Lao, Scorpion, Sub, Baraka etc, she is a beautiful, strong character.

Now put her up against Freddy...Kenshi...Reptile... God she struggles.
Same with sonya, i think she's a top 5 character, then i start to think of her bad Matchups, Kenshi....Sindel ...Freddy...Sub...etc
Make her look like she isn;t

From this point, i think top 5 should have the least worst matchups, or they themselves are bad matchups for a big number of the cast.

This is why I think having counter picks is essential
Having 2-4 characters to main who cover all MU's is essential. You are bound to go up against a bad Mu if you stick with one character only.

Sonya is a great character, but someone like Kabal, Mileena, Kung Lao, compliment her really well to have as a sub main

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
I have no doubt that Sonya is Top 5. From my experience a good Kabal, Kenshi and Noob Saibot are very tough. Some will argue with Noob Saibot, I've played Flawedzilla many many times with Sonya if Noob Saibot does all the right reads keeping her out he makes it near impossible for Sonya to get it especially knockdowns which allows him to retreat further. One wrong input from Noob Saibot, Sonya will get in and she will stay in so it has to be 5-5. I'm actually more annoyed with the Kenshi match up than the Kabal one because Kenshi stays full screen very annoying like Noob Saibot where as Kabal might need to Ex Nomad Dash to spam on the other side which Sonya might be able to bait and Dive Kick punish.

Against Sub-Zero, Sonya has no choice but to play his turtle game. Sonya owns Kung Lao too (limits his jumping/teleports).