What's new

Question pressure characters...not worth it?

Wigy

There it is...
According the way tym talks about cage, every one of us cage players gets our jails 100% of the time

:DOGE

MK FIGHTER

Knife Fight
whats the point of playing characters like liu kang or cage with constant cancels if u get blown up by armors when not frame perfect? also they are not even that good as they get blown up by zoners... so y would u bet all on being in ur opponent's face with the constant fear of screwing up? shouldn't you be 100% sure of ur character?
I have a simple solution to your problem. Play only offline kustom kombat matches and choose the Full Armor modifier for your character only. That way your pressure will be nearly unstoppable and almost never be interrupted or blown up except by an xray.

Trauma_and_Pain

Filthy Casual
Being negative isn't being safe... Even if it isn't a full combo punish you still are being punished for being negative in the form of losing positioning, the opponent being able to pressure you, etc. It gives your opponent time to set up their game safety is being plus or neutral. The only time negative frames are truly safe is when it is at a distance, and even then you aren't always safe, but in the context of run cancels, obviously you are in their face so you are not safe in the slightest
If you are negative, you are at a disadvantageous situation. Which obviously is not good. Just because you aren't getting raw damage doesn't mean it isn't a punish
I'm trying to be nicer to you than some of the other posters, so take it how you will. This is all wrong.

"Safe" and "Punish" are not subjective or vague terms in fighting games. "Punish" means to actually hit the opponent with something in response to some mistake they made, usually either a whiff or simply a very negative-on-block attack. It never means simply having advantage. Pressuring the opponent with a blockstring is not a punish.

"Safe" means your frames/distance are such that you can't possibly be punished, and "Unsafe" means you are negative enough to be punished. These definitions are written in stone and not up for debate (and by that I don't mean there is some law somewhere, but simply that colloquial usage always wins out, and in this case it's unanimous).

You can keep saying that advantage = punish and negative = unsafe if you want, but understand that nobody will know what you're talking about, and since the point of words is to communicate with other people, you should probably stop using them that way.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
I'm trying to be nicer to you than some of the other posters, so take it how you will. This is all wrong.

"Safe" and "Punish" are not subjective or vague terms in fighting games. "Punish" means to actually hit the opponent with something in response to some mistake they made, usually either a whiff or simply a very negative-on-block attack. It never means simply having advantage. Pressuring the opponent with a blockstring is not a punish.

"Safe" means your frames/distance are such that you can't possibly be punished, and "Unsafe" means you are negative enough to be punished. These definitions are written in stone and not up for debate (and by that I don't mean there is some law somewhere, but simply that colloquial usage always wins out, and in this case it's unanimous).

You can keep saying that advantage = punish and negative = unsafe if you want, but understand that nobody will know what you're talking about, and since the point of words is to communicate with other people, you should probably stop using them that way.
Thanks for not being a dick but I'm not entirely sure how the hell to describe it otherwise. Punish just sounds right for the situation

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
You're upset that, if you're not frame perfect, that some characters can spend a bar to get out of pressure? You're not seeing why you shouldn't be able to be half ass with the execution and still keep an opponent locked down without options? And you're frustrated that zoners might zone you out?

... I don't follow the logic...

If you want to be 100% sure... try turn based rpgs... The best part of fighting games is that it's 100% based on your skill. Nothing is going to be 100% guaranteed to you.

Skedar70

Noob
I actually think pressure characters are the best if you can get your execution on point. Think Dvorah... a cancel character into 50/50. Feels overwhelming.

Trauma_and_Pain

Filthy Casual
Thanks for not being a dick but I'm not entirely sure how the hell to describe it otherwise. Punish just sounds right for the situation
Most people just call the act of attacking a negative (but safe) opponent either pressuring or taking your turn.

Being negative is just called being negative or at disadvantage. Same with being positive/at advantage.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Most people just call the act of attacking a negative (but safe) opponent either pressuring or taking your turn.

Being negative is just called being negative or at disadvantage. Same with being positive/at advantage.
Well I know that, I do know more about fighting games than I let on in this thread but I meant a straight up term that says that that isn't just stating the obvious and rolls off the tongue better.

MK FIGHTER

Knife Fight
According the way tym talks about cage, every one of us cage players gets our jails 100% of the time

:DOGE
According to the way TYM talks about any character other than the character the commentator mains, every character is Over Powered and needs nerfing lol.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Cossner thinks he understands fighting games but his resume is just as good as yours and mine. Pay no attention to him man
Oh wow you also got 2nd at the challenger cup? Wow I didn't know you did so well in Injustice and MK9 too! I mean I do see you in high level koths all the time, you're clearly the best with... whatever character you use I honestly don't even know since I haven't seen you anywhere :(

See back in the day we would do a money match to settle this but, you keyboard warriors just like to talk a lot and do nothing about it.

Last edited:

Skellington

Banned
Oh wow you also got 2nd at the challenger cup? Wow I didn't know you did so well in Injustice and MK9 too! I mean I do see you in high level koths all the time, you're clearly the best with... whatever character you use I honestly don't even know since I haven't seen you anywhere :(

See back in the day we would do a money match to settle this but, you keyboard warriors just like to talk a lot and do nothing about it.
Wow, you are irrelevant in NRS games and have no top 8's. Nice challenger cup though bro.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Wow, you are irrelevant in NRS games and have no top 8's. Nice challenger cup though bro.
Not in MKX majors, that's true, yes in regionals and locals. And yeah our locals and regionals are mostly top players, not like the cartoon locals you guys have. How many top 8s do you have in any game ever? Also, I challenged you to a money to match don't change the subject. $20 bucks on Reo's stream. Not a lot so you don't have a reason to back away.

Skellington

Banned
Not in MKX majors, that's true, yes in regionals and locals. And yeah our locals and regionals are mostly top players, not like the cartoon locals you guys have. How many top 8s do you have in any game ever? Also, I challenged you to a money to match don't change the subject. $20 bucks on Reo's stream. Not a lot so you don't have a reason to back away.
1: You never challenged me to a money match. This post of yours is the first time you "challenged" me, so how can I change the subject?
2: I don't gamble, sorry man
3: I'm sorry you're credentials aren't that great

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Liu Kang does have to be Frame perfect for f213 to jail into itself, but that isn't the entire scope of his offense.

can we stop saying this? He has like a 3 frame window which is very different to frame perfect and is really not hard at to land everytime once you've practiced it enough

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
1: You never challenged me to a money match. This post of yours is the first time you "challenged" me, so how can I change the subject?
wow all that talk and you aren't even going to step up to it? The only gamble you have to make is on yourself, I thought you were confident that your resume is on par with cossners? get out of here

Matix218

Get over here!
1. So accept the money match, you were the one who called out HIS success in this game so why would you then back down.

2. If Cossner's credentials in this game are as weak as you implied in your previous posts you would not be gambling, it should be easy money.

3. You cant bitch out of a money match in front of everyone and then CONTINUE to bash the credentials of the player who you are ducking... SMH

So lame dude...

Skellington

Banned
1. So accept the money match, you were the one who called out HIS success in this game so why would you then back down.

2. If Cossner's credentials in this game are as weak as you implied in your previous posts you would not be gambling, it should be easy money.

3. You cant bitch out of a money match in front of everyone and then CONTINUE to bash the credentials of the player who you are ducking... SMH

So lame dude...
Refer to #2