What's new

Question pressure characters...not worth it?

Shaikhuzzaman

magicmeerkatman
Uh what? Liu kang is a pressure character, a lot of his cancels dont jail, so when im pressuring i think "ok this wont jail, he can try to backdash, should i stop my string and run in to catch it"? "He has a bar and can armor this cancel, should i cancel into block and bait it or just do it and see if he knows he can beat it"? Those sound like options and decision making to me. I challenge any of you to use a cancel character and see if you can herp derp pressure your way to victory.
That's the point of a pressure character. To make your opponent make a mistake through 'herp derp' pressure

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
No... How the hell does what I say sound scrubby? If you are negative, you are at a disadvantageous situation. Which obviously is not good. Just because you aren't getting raw damage doesn't mean it isn't a punish. If you are negative and give a zoner time to back up for zoning is that not punishing you for being negative? Yes you can take advantage of a situation where you are negative on block but don't insult my intelligence by calling me a scrub or asking if this is my first fighting game. It isn't. Keep in mind when I say negative is always punishable, i am only talking about cancels, cancels for pressure, as in up in the opponents face, if you are negative, generally it is your opponents turn to pressure/push buttons is it not? Yes, there is armor and counter pokes etc. But even then your opponent has more options than you when you are negative. no shit if it is from full screen you are safe. Literally how does that not make sense?
Either you don't understand the meaning of the terms or you literally don't understand fighting games. I really hope this is just a misunderstanding.

SylverRye

Official Loop Kang Main
That's the point of a pressure character. To make your opponent make a mistake
I agree fully, but in the process if that, you can make a mistake yourself. Those are some of the options i think of and some decisions i may make. Does it always pay off? Heck no, but they are there. Saying pressure characters require no decision making just doesn't make sense to me.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
By definition it does
Who's definition? Point me to an exact definition that is irrefutable. This is literally internet slang we are talking about, fighting game terminology, there is only a loose definition on things, even footsies is a fairly broad term, just because it isn't raw damage doesn't mean something isn't punishing, hell I am more scared of losing my spacing than I am my life bar at times

MrProfDrPepper

Either you don't understand the meaning of the words or you literally don't understand fighting games.
I don't think I have face palmed harder in my life... THERE IS NO LITERAL DEFINITION FOR ANYTHING IN FIGHTING GAME TERMINOLOGY. Give me a fucking explanation as to what I'm saying doesn't make sense, that just raw damage isn't the only thing to worry about when getting punished. Since fucking when was damage everything? Give me a solid explaining other than stroking your own cock and insulting me as to what I'm saying doesn't make sense.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
I don't think I have face palmed harder in my life... THERE IS NO LITERAL DEFINITION FOR ANYTHING IN FIGHTING GAME TERMINOLOGY. Give me a fucking explanation as to what I'm saying doesn't make sense, that just raw damage isn't the only thing to worry about when getting punished. Since fucking when was damage everything? Give me a solid explaining other than stroking your own cock and insulting me as to what I'm saying doesn't make sense.
tbh i've never known anyone in any game to consider giving up your turn in terms of frames as being punished

MrProfDrPepper

tbh i've never known anyone in any game to consider giving up your turn in terms of frames as being punished
I do it with lasher so I can get spacing, so I can play my keep away game and keep you at bay. With the way I play I prioritize spacing over damage unless I desperately need the damage like if it is near the end of the game

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Who's definition? Point me to an exact definition that is irrefutable. This is literally internet slang we are talking about, fighting game terminology, there is only a loose definition on things, even footsies is a fairly broad term, just because it isn't raw damage doesn't mean something isn't punishing, hell I am more scared of losing my spacing than I am my life bar at times
I think this just means YOU don't know what it means.
Literal definition for anything in fighting game terminology:
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Glossary_of_fighting_games

TLDR:
Punishing: hitting an opponent while he's in recovery animation.
Safe: a move that cannot be punished.

What you're saying is that being slightly minus means you're being "punished" by blocking your opponents attack. Which is wrong. You also think the moment you're slightly negative you have to respect your opponent. Which is also not true. Matter of fact a lot of the stuff you wrote sounds to me like yomi level 1 stuff.

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
Well the question should be : "Whats the point playing a char like alist and df kang when they ll get nerfed to the ground anyways?"

And thats what id answer
As long as they have frame traps i am ok with it.

MrProfDrPepper

I think this just means YOU don't know what it means.

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Glossary_of_fighting_games

TLDR:
Punishing: hitting an opponent while he's in recovery animation.
Safe: a move that cannot be punished.

What you're saying is that being slightly minus means you're being "punished" by blocking your opponents attack. Which is wrong. You also think the moment you're slightly negative you have to respect your opponent. Which is also not true. Matter of fact a lot of the stuff you wrote sounds to me like yomi level 1 stuff.
What I am saying is that there is more to worry about than just raw damage when you are negative. I'm not saying you have to respect your opponent either, that is the mind game, however when you are negative your opponent does have more options more times than not. You have to take a risk. But you can choose not to, mind games ensue etc. Literally all I'm trying to say is that there is MORE to worry about when negative than literally JUST DAMAGE. I give zero fucks what a wiki says, if I'm at risk and I'm being pressured because I was negative. I consider that a punish. Because you are being punished for your actions, yeah it isn't a textbook definition but this is slang, fighting game terminology, so it can be taken with a grain of salt. I'm taking it with a grain of salt because what the fuck else do you describe being pressured because you are negative? Or allowing your opponent to regain their desperately needed space because you are negative? I can't think of anything other than just your turn. We are getting caught up in a term when you are literally skipping over the main point of what I'm saying, there is more to worry about when negative than just raw damage.

MrProfDrPepper

I'm done arguing today I don't want an even bigger headache than what I already have had on top of the puking on and off for the past couple hours

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
What I am saying is that there is more to worry about than just raw damage when you are negative. I'm not saying you have to respect your opponent either, that is the mind game, however when you are negative your opponent does have more options more times than not. You have to take a risk. But you can choose not to, mind games ensue etc. Literally all I'm trying to say is that there is MORE to worry about when negative than literally JUST DAMAGE. I give zero fucks what a wiki says, if I'm at risk and I'm being pressured because I was negative. I consider that a punish. Because you are being punished for your actions, yeah it isn't a textbook definition but this is slang, fighting game terminology, so it can be taken with a grain of salt. I'm taking it with a grain of salt because what the fuck else do you describe being pressured because you are negative? Or allowing your opponent to regain their desperately needed space because you are negative? I can't think of anything other than just your turn. We are getting caught up in a term when you are literally skipping over the main point of what I'm saying, there is more to worry about when negative than just raw damage.
The main point is that you think that being safe after doing a 50/50, with the ability to hit-confirm into a full combo, is not good enough. According to you, your reward for getting in, building your bar and doing your mix up should be more mix ups. The fact that you consider being slightly negative as "being punished" makes me think you have no idea how fighting games work and you think you should always have an advantage for no reason at all. My opinion is that that is stupid. There's really nothing to argue. Thank you.

MrProfDrPepper

The main point is that you think that being safe after doing a 50/50, with the ability to hit-confirm into a full combo, is not good enough. According to you, your reward for getting in, building your bar and doing your mix up should be more mix ups. The fact that you consider being slightly negative as "being punished" makes me think you have no idea how fighting games work and you think you should always have an advantage for no reason at all. My opinion is that that is stupid. There's really nothing to argue. Thank you.
WOAH you just made a LOT of assumptions there, a LOT of assptions that I DO NOT agree with.

MrProfDrPepper

I made no assumptions. You literally typed it all there.
I did not, I never said safe 50/50 into safe 50/50 was a good thing, cancels for the purposes of block pressure etc. NOT safe 50/50's, if a character has a run cancel they should not have a 50/50 to go along with it that can be cancelled to be made safe.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Pressure characters are definitely worth it.
Derptile you mean like d'vorah?

anyway, I understand that DF kang and alist cage are built differently, but that's still a character archetype that in my opinion makes no sense.
dvorah also doesnt have boatloads of armor like jax, and she neeeeeds her cancels in swarm queen to get any sort of damage on her 50/50's. Sure her 50/50's are essentially safe, but her low i don't think you can really hitconfirm into a combo, you have to commit to the low otherwise you won't hit in time. also Heavy weapon jax cancels are more of a luxury tbh. he can still get decent damage without them and has great staggers in general.

Last edited:

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Pressure characters are definitely worth it.

dvorah also doesnt have boatloads of armor like jax, and she neeeeeds her cancels in swarm queen to get any sort of damage on her 50/50's. Sure her 50/50's are essentially safe, but her low i don't think you can really hitconfirm into a combo, you have to commit to the low otherwise you won't hit in time. also Heavy weapon jax cancels are more of a luxury tbh. he can still get decent damage without them and has great staggers in general.
d'vorah could do without + cancels just fine, probably even better than jax.

Reactions: GAV

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Cancel characters take more of a brain than standard 50 50 characters. Its easy to go up and mix someone when a character has a low and oh starter. Canceling perfectly especially when it doesn't jail is not. If cancels require to switch off your brain, i wonder what 50 50 characters are then lol.
to be completely honest, in my very modest opinion pre-nerf DF kang required less brain than CO sonya.

she's fine with her + cancels. if she became negative on all her cancels i'd probably drop her.
with fine you mean top tier in every tier list?

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
What you're saying goes against pretty much the entire FGCs definition of a punish, which is the problem.

I could say that someone looking at me is assault, and that the definition of assault isn't "real" but thats a silly argument. You are right that he is disadvantaged when he does the flip, and so even though it is a safe 50/50 he does give up his turn. But a punish is when you can connect a move after blocking. Its been like that in every fighting game since the 90s.

Other than your argument of semantics your point is good. Just stop arguing semantics lol.

Skellington

Banned
Cossner thinks he understands fighting games but his resume is just as good as yours and mine. Pay no attention to him man