What's new

General/Other - Raiden (Old) Raiden Pre-Release General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Well, at least it's nice to see that thunderballs activate by themselves instead of needing yet third special (some were suspecting it to be MB, no less).

ShArp

Dedicated Broly main
I prefer more "classic" outfits for raiden. I don't like his futuristic one at all. Just doesn't fit him IMO.

DreadKnight1

Beaten, by this mere man

I'm surprised more people didn't notice this.
Now I'm beginning to think it's more viable lol. Now it links on its own If you always have one behind you, you can special cancel one in front of you when you're pressuring them and it's catch so many people out. My only concern with raiden now is that his meter less vicinity blast has an awful hitbox but that's not even that bad

ShArp

Dedicated Broly main
After watching all the recent newest MKX footage, for some reason it seems like Raiden's X-ray is similar to those few from MK9 where you couldn't end up your combos with x-rays.

I mean just look at his X-Ray, it doesn't look like it's possible to x-ray into combo with Raiden this time around. It looks too slow (the way he puts his hands and charges electricity) to finish the combos with it.

Any thoughts?

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
After watching all the recent newest MKX footage, for some reason it seems like Raiden's X-ray is similar to those few from MK9 where you couldn't end up your combos with x-rays.

I mean just look at his X-Ray, it doesn't look like it's possible to x-ray into combo with Raiden this time around. It looks too slow (the way he puts his hands and charges electricity) to finish the combos with it.

Any thoughts?
I'll be a little salty if NRS did this again.. For the sake of game balance all characters should be able to combo after xrays OR not. Not some can some can't.

Brutal Chimney

vaporus punching bag
I prefer more "classic" outfits for raiden. I don't like his futuristic one at all. Just doesn't fit him IMO.
Understandable, I've never really liked his deseign so "unlike him" is preferable for me.

I was talking with a friend about variations and he said Displacer looked lik it was going to be the easeist to use. with a dedicated block button I'm not so sure of that, and I'm pretty sure something like this will require being spot on with hit confirmations.

ShArp

Dedicated Broly main
I'll be a little salty if NRS did this again.. For the sake of game balance all characters should be able to combo after xrays OR not. Not some can some can't.
Exactly I loved doing some swaggy mid-screen tele-x-ray combos in MK9 with him. This time it looks like it will be a nice looking but pretty useless x-ray if you can't end your combos with it for extra damage and some swag.

Last edited:

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
That awkward moment when people speak about different things (comboing off/into X-Ray) without realizing it and agree with each other completely :p

Eh. X-Ray as combo starter isn't exactly a must for everyone, just like not everyone can combo of low/overhead option(s), not everyone have decent projectile etc.

Rajhkeem Beck

Mr. Still Getting it Together
It would be kind of difficult for all of them to be comboed into anyway. Since some Xray's were unblockable grabs, projectiles, teleports, and in the air. Its more interesting to have characters with a variety of Xray inputs than utilizing them the same way anyway. Plus with damage scaling a lot of the flashier combos wouldn't even be worth the risk.

ShArp

Dedicated Broly main
The only way I seee it might be possible is if you kick your opponent in the air and perform an x-ray while he's still in it.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Idk... seems to hit people that are jumping so... do it early enough while the opponent is falling and you'll probably be able to combo into it.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
We speak about Raiden, not others. And not about combo starters, but finishers.
Raiden is just another character. He will have something, he won't have something else. I was addressing Redrum's post which said that all characters should be able to combo after X-Rays. As you can see, it's both about others and starters. Hence my amusement.

Also, so far I don't see many indications of X-Rays being useful in the first place. If they are on the level of MK9 usefulness on most characters, then oh well, whatever.

ShArp

Dedicated Broly main
I was addressing Redrum's post which said that all characters should be able to combo after X-Rays. As you can see, it's both about others and starters. Hence my amusement.
Heh sorry then m8, I missed that part in your comment.

Yeah X-Ray combos weren't that great when you did shitlaod of hits before activating it, since the dmg from x-ray would be reduced very drastically for balance. But on the other hand it just looks sick when you can finish your combo with some fancy looking move :)
Im talking about stuff like this from 2:56 :

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I wonder how his lightning traps will stack up against the rest of the casts space control tools. If the first orb can be left for a long time before it disappears then it makes it more viable, but if it only lasts a couple of seconds then there might be some issues. The fact that he has to get 2 separate orbs out to generate the trap doesn't stack up well against Reptile, Kung Lao, Lue Cheng, Takeda, Erron Black, or Sub too well at a glance. It does have the advantage that if they hit the opponent then he at least always will get a superman confirm. If they make them the hardest trap to generate but the best on block/hit then it's a good trade off I think.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
You could combo into xray at the end of literally all of raiden's combos in mk9. I don't see why it would be any different in mkx. We don't even know what his combos look like yet, so speculation is still nothing but speculation.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Some of the Moves List for THUNDER GOD Raiden, from that Swiftor/Zonda vid

*snip*

Some of his combos/specials has the option to hold down a button for extensions, it seems.
Yeah, it's interesting. Hopefully that means he will be capable of some additional "reverse-mixups" during pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.