What's new

Next Kombat Kast Will Air at ESL MKX Season 2 Finals on January 24th & Showcase a Character from KP2

trufenix

bye felicia
opinion waaaaaaaarzzz *guitar riff*

seriously guys, no matter what character it is, there is ALWAYS someone out there who says he is awesome and someone else to say that first guy has no taste. At the end of the day, it does not matter how many people are in which of those camps. NRS knows this well, they have been watching people bitch about characters for like 20 years.

All that really matters is who will sell (ie: which is the MOST important, since thats what gets future games and charracter made) and who NRS is willing / capable of turning into a good character. With the possible exception of Capcom and Megaman no developer has ever picked or not picked a character out of some sort of spite for their fans so if your character is still on the bench, one of those conditions was not met.

If Deception is the "peak" of MK storytelling, well...that certainly doesn't say much about the MK story. Regardless, you were using the revelation of Bi-Han as justification for Noob Saibot's uniqueness. Just so we're clear: Your definable characteristic for Noob in Deception is that he's actually a different, older and more realized character, only undead. That's not selling me on Noob as a compelling character.

Also, these aren't just my "standards" for a good character. It's what makes a character more than a plot device. A fully realized character has distinctive personality traits, a motivation that drives their actions in a given story, a character arc, (Example: a character starts out as a coward at the beginning of a story and throughout the course of it endured events that force them to be brave, resulting in a climax that completes the arc), they change over the course of time, etc. This is basic Storytelling 101 stuff, here.

The reality is that outside of aesthetics, most of the MK cast haven't really changed since their inception.

Potential? You want a character in because he "might" be good in the context of a reboot. If Fujin was in KP2, he would have a ladder ending and that's about it. That's not much to work with, and whatever development he would get is non-canon, so....I'm not convinced. Now, if Fujin and the like were in MK11, then sure.

Also, another thing a lot of these people aren't considering is that we may get another pack after this. Or, like Martian Manhunter, they may have another character waiting in the wings that we don't know about.

Years went by and we watched MK9 eventually fade out due to imbalance, glitches, etc that existed in the game. Same for Injustice. If MK9 had "one last patch," it's possible it would still be alive today.

KP2 means the game could get that. To me, that is a much higher priority than if my favorite character from MK9 or the 3D era makes it. If the trade off to getting more support is having a Xenomorph in the game, that's fine. It's worth it.

Plus, say what you will about Leatherface and Alien, but Predator and Jason have very unique designs that a lot of players have come to like. What's to say that NRS won't make the new guests interesting and fun to play as well? And if they are fun to play...will them not being MK Characters still matter?

The thing you need to realize is that there are far more practical responses to this than what the Tearjerkers have been doing.

Writing whiney letters to the dev, comparing NRS to an abusive relationship, (This happened. You know, abusive relationships where one or more participants may endure physical/psychological pain that can haunt them for their whole lives, which is exactly like buying a video game, apparently), calling for a boycott, among many more outrageous and entitled responses. This kind of deal is what I take exception with, because it's completely childish, self-indulgent, and lacking in any understanding of the big picture.

You will never please anyone. People would have felt jilted by KP2 regardless of who was in it. If Sindel wasn't in, Sindel fans would be pissed. Rain, Reiko, etc. You get the idea.
I wasn't really using Noob's revelation of being Bi-Han as a justification for his uniqueness, it's just one part of his story that I felt was a good twist and one that no one saw coming. Keep in mind i'm not a huge fan of Noob but I can see the appeal.

I explained why I wanted Fujin in the game, potential is one of the big reasons, yes, because as we've seen with MK9 and MKX, many characters can be redesigned and become future fan favorites for fans who are new to the franchise and haven't played the older games. Fujin wouldn't have much story to work with in MKX, yeah, but if he was playable at least it would make him grounded as an actual character in the franchise instead of being the God of cameos. Like you said, NRS does make quality characters, even with the guests I will admit that, I just feel like there's so many chances to give redesigns to characters that haven't had the chance to come back and be rejuvenated with these much improved MK games.

Also, how would his development be non-canon? Arcade endings aren't always canon, but sometimes certain elements of endings do make it into the next game. It just depends on what direction NRS wants to go with characters.

There's definitely a chance of Fujin being this games MMH, but since we are getting KP2 I really just don't know if they're going to do anymore. Maybe if they did end up getting all of the VA's back in the studio they could have decided to make a couple more, who knows. We'll find out eventually though

I completely agree on the patching situation, we're on the same page there. I think MK9 could have been amazing if they put more time and effort into the game, and the last patch for Injustice pretty much saved that game as well. Don't get me wrong, I am super glad that NRS is deciding to go through with more characters and more support for the game, I was actually defending this a couple months ago when KP2 was announced and everyone threw a bitch fit over that.

Preach.
I'm gunna piggyback this idea, if you will.
The feud between Sub-Zero was just put to rest here. Noob killed Scorp, Scorp killed Noob, Sub-Zero wants revenge, blah blah blah.
Every good guy plot ever (Liu Kang fights the bad and wins) turned into every revenge plot ever (Liu Kang gets killed by accident from Raiden, now wants revenge.)
I literally did the math on how many ways the kp2 could've went. I think Fujin would've been recycled Kitana and Kung Lao anyway.
People are going to be mad. The only constant in life is change.
Sub never wanted revenge over Bi-Hans death lol. Also, how would have Fujin been a recycled Kitana/Kung Lao? Because they have a few wind moves? Really? You don't think NRS can come up with enough creative ideas for a GOD of Wind? wut.

DelSchokoladenSaft

Can of Corn Main
The next MK will be interesting. Most likely, Fujin will take the place of Raiden. Outworld becomes the victims; some earthrealmers like the idea, others oppose.
I wasn't really using Noob's revelation of being Bi-Han as a justification for his uniqueness, it's just one part of his story that I felt was a good twist and one that no one saw coming. Keep in mind i'm not a huge fan of Noob but I can see the appeal.

I explained why I wanted Fujin in the game, potential is one of the big reasons, yes, because as we've seen with MK9 and MKX, many characters can be redesigned and become future fan favorites for fans who are new to the franchise and haven't played the older games. Fujin wouldn't have much story to work with in MKX, yeah, but if he was playable at least it would make him grounded as an actual character in the franchise instead of being the God of cameos. Like you said, NRS does make quality characters, even with the guests I will admit that, I just feel like there's so many chances to give redesigns to characters that haven't had the chance to come back and be rejuvenated with these much improved MK games.

Also, how would his development be non-canon? Arcade endings aren't always canon, but sometimes certain elements of endings do make it into the next game. It just depends on what direction NRS wants to go with characters.

There's definitely a chance of Fujin being this games MMH, but since we are getting KP2 I really just don't know if they're going to do anymore. Maybe if they did end up getting all of the VA's back in the studio they could have decided to make a couple more, who knows. We'll find out eventually though

I completely agree on the patching situation, we're on the same page there. I think MK9 could have been amazing if they put more time and effort into the game, and the last patch for Injustice pretty much saved that game as well. Don't get me wrong, I am super glad that NRS is deciding to go through with more characters and more support for the game, I was actually defending this a couple months ago when KP2 was announced and everyone threw a bitch fit over that.

Sub never wanted revenge over Bi-Hans death lol. Also, how would have Fujin been a recycled Kitana/Kung Lao? Because they have a few wind moves? Really? You don't think NRS can come up with enough creative ideas for a GOD of Wind? wut.
From what I've been dealt with, most tropes are in. I feel that Fujin would be too much of a combination to be his own character. If the kp2 would've included him, cool, another dlc character. It's just that I have a hard time seeing his movelist and not be something like any white lotus character or Kitana, save for BRC.
As for the Sub-Zero subplot, let's agree to disagree.

Gamer68

Fujin!
I wasn't aware that you speak for the majority, or that you speak for everyone.

A cursory look at the Leatherface forums reveals that there are people looking forward to it.

You need to accept the fact that more often than not, your favorite MK Character fucking sucks. Fujin is fucking lame. Why? Because there isn't anything to him. What do I mean by that? In that thread you referenced, I posted a video of Fujin's MK4 Bio next to Raiden's. The wording was different, but the content, the actual meaning behind the words was the same. There was nothing to separate them as characters save for aesthetics and powers.

Fujin's ending turned out to boil down to him replacing Raiden. So even there, Fujin has no identity of his own. He's not a character. He has no quantifiable personality traits that differentiate him from Raiden.

Short version: He sucks.
I never said that I was speaking for everyone. By "people" or "no one" I meant the people like me -- ones who were simply disappointed in NRS KP2 character choices. I wasn't speaking for absolutely everyone, I definitely wasn't speaking for the insanely entitled fans on Twitter who have gone as far as threatening NRS. Just want to get that out of the way.

About Fujin, you may not like him. Fair enough. But I personally (and a lot of other people) see potential in the character. Look at Bo' Rai Cho: The character sucked in past games, he was try-hard-to-be funny with burps and farts, he was in like the bottom 10 of every MK character poll ever, and the most "interesting" thing about him was that he trained Liu Kang, Kung Lao, and Shujinko (which seemed kinda weird and out of place. How did a overweight drunk guy teach some of the most powerful warriors in MK history?). But despite the character sucking in PAST games, he is back in MKX. And I'm sure NRS will make him interesting and he will gain new fans.

You see, it doesn't matter if a character sucked in the PAST. They can remake the characters, give them new designs, movesets, stories, and so on. Bo' Rai Cho, Tanya, and Tremor are all characters that pretty much sucked in past games. But they are in Mortal Kombat X and are actually cool characters (we will have to wait and see about Bo', though). Fujin has a lot of potential. A lot of other characters do too. NRS shouldn't throw away characters because they messed them up in the past -- they should build off of what they created and make them more interesting. They proved that they could do it with Tanya, Tremor, and now Bo'. It would be great to see more of that.

The reality that you aren't willing to accept is a LOT of MK's characters, especially guys like fucking Baraka or Frost are exactly the same as Fujin in that way.

Leatherface has well over thirty-plus years of history and development. He is a more realized and defined character than much of MK's cast.

What I take exception to is the whiny, entitled, self-important bitch-tangents because Taven didn't get in, or Meat, or Drahmin, or fucking Blaze. Now you might say, "Rude, those characters suck!" Well, yeah, and yet those characters have fans, too.
Like I mentioned above, it doesn't matter if Baraka, Frost or Fujin (or anyone) was uninteresting in past games. They can build off of the characters and make them interesting. Leatherface may have 30 years of history, but that shouldn't give him a place in this game over actual MK characters. And plus, that isn't even why he's in. The only reason why Leatherface is in this game is because they have a new movie coming out, it isn't because he "fits" or "has a lot of history" or anything like that. He's practically an advertisement and that's it.

You might like Noob and Smoke, but if we're looking strictly at character development, they're about as deep as Dairou and Onaga. The only difference is that Noob and Smoke were pallet swaps and are older.

In fact, Noob and Smoke really didn't start getting real, definable character traits independent of aesthetics until MK9, and even those distinctions are tangential, at best.
Yes, they did start as pallet swaps -- Smoke and Noob. But they are much more than that now. They have evolved into their own characters, with their own designs (still Ninjas, but they have their own costumes, movesets, etc).

You and all the other little KP2 Crybabies need to grow up and realize that not only can you not have everything you want, not only is everything not about you, but that KP2 represents another year of patches, balance fixes, hotfixes, costumes and in short - more longevity for the game.

Which is FAR MORE important than a couple of guest characters.

Or you can keep crying because you didn't get Mokap and Nitara. Up to you.
Explain to me in the best possible detail about how exactly I am a "KP2 crybaby". I have said plenty of times that I am glad that MKX is getting more content and patches, I also like Bo' Rai Cho and Tri-Borg, and I'm excited to see what The Pit looks like and what skins will be released. So just because I'm not going to buy KP2 (only Bo' and Tri, maybe a few skins and The Pit -- if it isn't free) and express my disinterest/disappointment in Leatherface, Alien, and NRS/WB's decision, that makes me a "crybaby"? Am I not allowed to express my thoughts on a forum site -- or if I do I'm a "crybaby"? Am I supposed to like what NRS/WB does even if I don't truly like it? Am I not allowed to criticize a product I own (I do own MKX, you know)? Am I not allowed to give feedback to developers and companies about how I feel? Do you really think I'm going to be that way, or should be that way? Then no offense, but that is stupid. Really stupid.

You do make a good point about how game balancing is more important that more characters getting in -- that is true, and I agree 100%. But we don't know for sure if KP2 WILL be that that "one last patch" scenario for MKX. What if they release the last character and patch in the KP2 which leaves balancing issues, but they move on to Injustice 2 (or whatever is next) and never fix it? They may very will deliver that "one last patch", but we honestly can't say that KP2 will in-fact do that. Because we don't know. And if we don't know that it will do that, then we can't praise it for that. We will have to wait and see...