What's new

Next Kombat Kast Will Air at ESL MKX Season 2 Finals on January 24th & Showcase a Character from KP2

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Totally have. Haven't seen the remakes though. But considering I live in the south, a fat oaf with a chainsaw isn't scary. I can find one of those just by driving 10 miles either direction.
Where in the South?

I also live in the South, and he's hardly an oaf. He's a serial killing cannibal that mercilessly hunts people down.

I'm fact, in the 1970's film he snuck up on more than one person.

TamedLizard

Buff George
I don't doubt Leatherface will at least be visually appealing...for a short while.

I already know it'll be like Jason and Pred were for me, once the "new car smell" wears off, he'll kinda just be there...looking sad and collecting dust.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
I'll give NRS credit for not having these characters on disc locked behind a paywall. At least they are actually working on these characters right now.

Also, inb4 Leatherface ends up awesome and everyone jumps on the wagon.

Where in the South?

I also live in the South, and he's hardly an oaf. He's a serial killing cannibal that mercilessly hunts people down.

I'm fact, in the 1970's film he snuck up on more than one person.
Well, this is true. The first film is great as a movie, I just never found Leatherface himself scary. Admittedly in the sequels it gets more and more outlandish as it goes along, especially by the time you get to Matthew McConaughey. As for where I live, I reside in NC. Not too far south but still tons of rednecks and hicks as soon as you leave city limits. lol

Rude

Well, this is true. The first film is great as a movie, I just never found Leatherface himself scary. Admittedly in the sequels it gets more and more outlandish as it goes along, especially by the time you get to Matthew McConaughey. As for where I live, I reside in NC. Not too far south but still tons of rednecks and hicks as soon as you leave city limits. lol
Yeah, I try not to think about Matthew McConaughey. Much bad.

I live in Southern Louisiana, myself. God damn cajuns.

Yeah, I try not to think about Matthew McConaughey. Much bad.

I live in Southern Louisiana, myself. God damn cajuns.
Ooh nice. I have a relative that lives in Crowley, he loves it there.

Speaking of Matty, I would laugh like hell if for one variation they had Leatherface crossdress.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
personally i think you're very wrong.
next year, mk x will shine more than it ever did
Idk bro lol. MKX is gonna be like marvel. Atleast until the new NRS title comes out, new characters or not.

What I mean by "like marvel" is, an intermediate to advanced player pool with a VERY slow gain of new players, while more and more players drop the game. I can't imagine a wide group of people purchasing the game EXCLUSIVELY for the new characters.

I'm not saying the tournament scene will die, but it will lose its buzz. Especially if ESL season 3 isn't a thing. And when people begin actively comparing MKX netcode to SFV or KI.

I hope it is Bo first... but I am confident in saying it will be Leatherface, Bo, Alien, Cyborg.

Either way, I am so hyped for this pack... they can not bring it out fast enough!! Love all the new people, Leatherface is the weakest and Cyborg and Bo are the ones I want the most, but also very happy there is Alien. I think in many ways this is better than KP1

Rude

Idk bro lol. MKX is gonna be like marvel. Atleast until the new NRS title comes out, new characters or not.

What I mean by "like marvel" is, an intermediate to advanced player pool with a VERY slow gain of new players, while more and more players drop the game. I can't imagine a wide group of people purchasing the game EXCLUSIVELY for the new characters.

I'm not saying the tournament scene will die, but it will lose its buzz. Especially if ESL season 3 isn't a thing. And when people begin actively comparing MKX netcode to SFV or KI.

You know, it's funny. When Tekken Tag 2 came out, everyone proclaimed the death of MK9. Statuses were rampant with stuff like, "playing TT2, a REAL fighting game!"

And you know what? MK9 went on to have two more EVOs and lasted for a total of three years, competitively.

When USF4 was slated to drop, everyone thought Injustice would die. It went on to have another EVO.

Bear in mind, this was back when NRS Games didn't get the kind of support MKX is getting now.

You know, you talk about KI, but I'm fairly certain it had lower EVO numbers than MKX.

Here in Louisiana, KI exists, but it's nowhere near as strong as our MKX scene. We ran an independent tournament for NRS Games called Bayou Battle. 23 players from all over our state came to play.

We had no ESL backing, no sponsors, and no EVO support and our turn out was higher than tournaments for so called "better games" back when all the games were under one event.

My point: MK is in a better situation for longevity than any game before it. You're looking at another year of patches, new characters, hotfixes and developer support.

Even if people DO play ETC or KI, there's nothing saying that these things are mutually exclusive from MK. People DO play multiple games.

MK X will endure.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
You know, it's funny. When Tekken Tag 2 came out, everyone proclaimed the death of MK9. Statuses were rampant with stuff like, "playing TT2, a REAL fighting game!"

And you know what? MK9 went on to have two more EVOs and lasted for a total of three years, competitively.

When USF4 was slated to drop, everyone thought Injustice would die. It went on to have another EVO.

Bear in mind, this was back when NRS Games didn't get the kind of support MKX is getting now.

You know, you talk about KI, but I'm fairly certain it had lower EVO numbers than MKX.

Here in Louisiana, KI exists, but it's nowhere near as strong as our MKX scene. We ran an independent tournament for NRS Games called Bayou Battle. 23 players from all over our state came to play.

We had no ESL backing, no sponsors, and no EVO support and our turn out was higher than tournaments for so called "better games" back when all the games were under one event.

My point: MK is in a better situation for longevity than any game before it. You're looking at another year of patches, new characters, hotfixes and developer support.

Even if people DO play ETC or KI, there's nothing saying that these things are mutually exclusive from MK. People DO play multiple games.

MK X will endure.
I never said it wouldn't. I said it will settle and probably not see very many more newcomers. I like MKX and I'll continue playing it, I'm not doubting it. It's just what will more than likely happen. I guess we can just wait and see.

Gamer68

Fujin!
I really wonder if all these kids shitting on Leatherface have ever actually seen a single Texas Chainsaw movie?

Only in a world as jaded as ours is a chainsaw-wielding serial killer that wears human skin masks could ever be considered "lame" over characters like Kira and Jarek.

Blows my mind.
There you go again saying that people wanted lame characters. No one wanted Kira or Jarek, and no one wanted Mavado and Hsu Hao (like you claimed on the other thread).

Just accept the fact that no one wanted Leatherface -- no one even thought about him. If you like him, that's cool. I'm glad you do. But it doesn't mean that others have too. There was just so many characters that were left out of MKX, people just really wanted a 100% MK Kombat Pack.

Seriously, it's getting annoying seeing people (like you) jump on threads and basically post "I like Leatherface. If you don't like him, you are a hater and the characters that 90% of people wanted are stupid."

You have to buy Kombat Pack 2, it isn't free. If it isn't free, it's a product. If it's a product, then it's open for criticism. Just because you criticize something doesn't mean you hate it, it can just simply mean you didn't like a specific thing about. I, for an example, like Tri-Borg and Bo' Rai Cho but I could care less for Leatherface and Alien.

Also, INB4 you say something like "You don't have to buy the characters, though". No, you don't. But there are limited DLC picks. Not everyone will make it as DLC. Which means that NRS needs to make each pick count. Is it really bad that people are disappointed to see guest characters take spots up over MK characters in a MK game? Especially when they BEGGED for no more guests? Especially since they have been begging for Fujin since the game was announced? I don't get what is so wrong with being disappointed in a product that you payed $60 for and another $30+ JUST for the first wave of DLC. Do you really think people are going to be happy paying another $30 blindly for KP2 that was disappointing? Back lash like this is to be expected.

I respect your opinion on Leatherface, but seriously, you just need to understand that the vast majority of people simply don't care for him. He has nothing to do with the serious in terms of history/story. Heck, the only reason why he's in the KP2 is because Warner Bros. has another TTCM movie coming out. He's practically an advertisement.

yeah... a lot of people were not expecting him... but also there is a lot of people that do not care that he is in the game. Most people are like "leatherface.. wtf.. cool.. can not wait". This community is a anomaly, you can not expect a site of hardcore fans to accept not seeing their own selfish desires not being filled by seeing there pet character. There are vocal haters, but tons of moderates like me that do not give a fuck either way and are keen to see him in action. Also it is Alien and Leatherface that will drive the vast majority of sales for the casuals as well.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
yeah... a lot of people were not expecting him... but also there is a lot of people that do not care that he is in the game. ... moderates like me that do not give a fuck either way and are keen to see him in action.
You're right and that makes me mad as hell. Everybody should be in the streets burning tires demanding Noob... :(

haha.. well I got Bo, the guy I was asking for from day 1.. so I'm happy. Also as soon as p[red was spoiled I wanted Alien, so I am happy and I used to play Sector in MK9.. so I am happy : P this could be part of it. I got 3 out of 4 characters I was really really keen to see... so the pack is just a total home run for me

Gamer68

Fujin!
yeah... a lot of people were not expecting him... but also there is a lot of people that do not care that he is in the game. Most people are like "leatherface.. wtf.. cool.. can not wait". This community is a anomaly, you can not expect a site of hardcore fans to accept not seeing their own selfish desires not being filled by seeing there pet character. There are vocal haters, but tons of moderates like me that do not give a fuck either way and are keen to see him in action. Also it is Alien and Leatherface that will drive the vast majority of sales for the casuals as well.
It's not really a "selfish desire". A lot of people were wanting Fujin, not just a handful of people. There has been so much requests and begging for that character (and a lot of others). We are disappointed that a character that TON hardcore fans have been begging for didn't make it in, and instead, basically an advertisement made it in. Warner Bros. have already made their money with MKX. It was the best selling game for like 6 months, and the KP1 seemed to have sold well. They could have added in Fujin and made their fans happy, plus would have still made a lot of money. Instead, they are trying to suck every penny possible out of the game, while also ignoring fan desires. It's true that WB or NRS doesn't owe us anything (it's not like this is a charity), but that decision was just poor in my opinion.

Like I said before, so many characters felt left out of this game. Fujin, Sareena, Havik, Noob, Rain, Smoke, Baraka, Skarlet, Sindel, Frost, Li Mei, Nightwolf, Kabal, Stryker, Reiko, Chameleon (or Khameleon)... Heck, even Shang Tsung, Shujinko, Nitara, Ashrah and Kai would have been cool to see return. I know I'm in the minority, but I would even be okay with a completely redesigned Kobra, Kira, Jarek, or Dairou (and my "completely", I DO mean completely... movesets, design, and backstory).

I think that it's cool that we are getting Bo' Rai Cho and Tri-Borg, and also just more support for this game in general. The Pit stage will also be cool. But man, there's like 2 dozen characters that they could have chose over Leatherface and Alien...

DelSchokoladenSaft

Can of Corn Main
It's not really a "selfish desire". A lot of people were wanting Fujin, not just a handful of people. There has been so much requests and begging for that character (and a lot of others). We are disappointed that a character that TON hardcore fans have been begging for didn't make it in, and instead, basically an advertisement made it in. Warner Bros. have already made their money with MKX. It was the best selling game for like 6 months, and the KP1 seemed to have sold well. They could have added in Fujin and made their fans happy, plus would have still made a lot of money. Instead, they are trying to suck every penny possible out of the game, while also ignoring fan desires. It's true that WB or NRS doesn't owe us anything (it's not like this is a charity), but that decision was just poor in my opinion.

Like I said before, so many characters felt left out of this game. Fujin, Sareena, Havik, Noob, Rain, Smoke, Baraka, Skarlet, Sindel, Frost, Li Mei, Nightwolf, Kabal, Stryker, Reiko, Chameleon (or Khameleon)... Heck, even Shang Tsung, Shujinko, Nitara, Ashrah and Kai would have been cool to see return. I know I'm in the minority, but I would even be okay with a completely redesigned Kobra, Kira, Jarek, or Dairou (and my "completely", I DO mean completely... movesets, design, and backstory).

I think that it's cool that we are getting Bo' Rai Cho and Tri-Borg, and also just more support for this game in general. The Pit stage will also be cool. But man, there's like 2 dozen characters that they could have chose over Leatherface and Alien...
I think some, maybe even most, will make into the next MK.
"Why not have Fujin or Reiko or Sare-"
My child, I'm here to lead you through this tough time.
The most overbearing character, Bo' Rai Cho, made it in because he needed the overhaul. They saw him, the belching drunk, as a challenge. Fujin would've been fine, but not as 'sastifying' as Bo' Rai Cho. Sareena would've been the cream of the crop, but this game needed some robot fanservice badly.
The 1.5 guest characters are most likely the sacrifice needed for those two; the characters that needed an encore in this interation.

It's not really a "selfish desire". A lot of people were wanting Fujin, not just a handful of people. There has been so much requests and begging for that character (and a lot of others).
yeah but a "lot" of people wanted Bo and Cyborgs as well. Alien was also wanted by many people, myself included. The MK cast is huge.. you can not make everyone happy and while I am defiantly in the camp of no guests in general I think as we had predator Alien is a no brainier and it is hard to argue with NRS when guest chars are BY FAR the biggest draw for casuals.

Rude

There you go again saying that people wanted lame characters. No one wanted Kira or Jarek, and no one wanted Mavado and Hsu Hao (like you claimed on the other thread).

Just accept the fact that no one wanted Leatherface -- no one even thought about him. If you like him, that's cool. I'm glad you do. But it doesn't mean that others have too. There was just so many characters that were left out of MKX, people just really wanted a 100% MK Kombat Pack.

Seriously, it's getting annoying seeing people (like you) jump on threads and basically post "I like Leatherface. If you don't like him, you are a hater and the characters that 90% of people wanted are stupid."

You have to buy Kombat Pack 2, it isn't free. If it isn't free, it's a product. If it's a product, then it's open for criticism. Just because you criticize something doesn't mean you hate it, it can just simply mean you didn't like a specific thing about. I, for an example, like Tri-Borg and Bo' Rai Cho but I could care less for Leatherface and Alien.

Also, INB4 you say something like "You don't have to buy the characters, though". No, you don't. But there are limited DLC picks. Not everyone will make it as DLC. Which means that NRS needs to make each pick count. Is it really bad that people are disappointed to see guest characters take spots up over MK characters in a MK game? Especially when they BEGGED for no more guests? Especially since they have been begging for Fujin since the game was announced? I don't get what is so wrong with being disappointed in a product that you payed $60 for and another $30+ JUST for the first wave of DLC. Do you really think people are going to be happy paying another $30 blindly for KP2 that was disappointing? Back lash like this is to be expected.

I respect your opinion on Leatherface, but seriously, you just need to understand that the vast majority of people simply don't care for him. He has nothing to do with the serious in terms of history/story. Heck, the only reason why he's in the KP2 is because Warner Bros. has another TTCM movie coming out. He's practically an advertisement.

I wasn't aware that you speak for the majority, or that you speak for everyone.

A cursory look at the Leatherface forums reveals that there are people looking forward to it.

You need to accept the fact that more often than not, your favorite MK Character fucking sucks. Fujin is fucking lame. Why? Because there isn't anything to him. What do I mean by that? In that thread you referenced, I posted a video of Fujin's MK4 Bio next to Raiden's. The wording was different, but the content, the actual meaning behind the words was the same. There was nothing to separate them as characters save for aesthetics and powers.

Fujin's ending turned out to boil down to him replacing Raiden. So even there, Fujin has no identity of his own. He's not a character. He has no quantifiable personality traits that differentiate him from Raiden.

Short version: He sucks.

The reality that you aren't willing to accept is a LOT of MK's characters, especially guys like fucking Baraka or Frost are exactly the same as Fujin in that way.

Leatherface has well over thirty-plus years of history and development. He is a more realized and defined character than much of MK's cast.

What I take exception to is the whiny, entitled, self-important bitch-tangents because Taven didn't get in, or Meat, or Drahmin, or fucking Blaze. Now you might say, "Rude, those characters suck!" Well, yeah, and yet those characters have fans, too.

You might like Noob and Smoke, but if we're looking strictly at character development, they're about as deep as Dairou and Onaga. The only difference is that Noob and Smoke were pallet swaps and are older.

In fact, Noob and Smoke really didn't start getting real, definable character traits independent of aesthetics until MK9, and even those distinctions are tangential, at best.

You and all the other little KP2 Crybabies need to grow up and realize that not only can you not have everything you want, not only is everything not about you, but that KP2 represents another year of patches, balance fixes, hotfixes, costumes and in short - more longevity for the game.

Which is FAR MORE important than a couple of guest characters.

Or you can keep crying because you didn't get Mokap and Nitara. Up to you.

Last edited:

Rude

Oh, you like Reiko? You mean the character who started as a pallet swap of Noob Saibot before being changed because they couldn't animate all-black Noob against the all-black background of one of MK4's stages?

Reiko, whose entire identity pre-comics centered around NOT being Shao Kahn, even though people thought he might be?

That Reiko?

That Reiko sucks.

I wasn't aware that you speak for the majority, or that you speak for everyone.

A cursory look at the Leatherface forums reveals that there are people looking forward to it.

You need to accept the fact that more often than not, your favorite MK Character fucking sucks. Fujin is fucking lame. Why? Because there isn't anything to him. What do I mean by that? In that thread you referenced, I posted a video of Fujin's MK4 Bio next to Raiden's. The wording was different, but the content, the actual meaning behind the words was the same. There was nothing to separate them as characters save for aesthetics and powers.

Fujin's ending turned out to boil down to him replacing Raiden. So even there, Fujin has no identity of his own. He's not a character. He has no quantifiable personality traits that differentiate him from Raiden.

Short version: He sucks.

The reality that you aren't willing to accept is a LOT of MK's characters, especially guys like fucking Baraka or Frost are exactly the same as Fujin in that way.

Leatherface has well over thirty-plus years of history and development. He is a more realized and defined character than much of MK's cast.

What I take exception to is the whiny, entitled, self-important bitch-tangents because Taven didn't get in, or Meat, or Drahmin, or fucking Blaze. Now you might say, "Rude, those characters suck!" Well, yeah, and yet those characters have fans, too.

You might like Noob and Smoke, but if we're looking strictly at character development, they're about as deep as Dairou and Onaga. The only difference is that Noob and Smoke were pallet swaps and are older.

In fact, Noob and Smoke really didn't start getting real, definable character traits independent of aesthetics until MK9, and even those distinctions are tangential, at best.

You and all the other little KP2 Crybabies need to grow up and realize that not only can you not have everything you want, not only is everything not about you, but that KP2 represents another year of patches, balance fixes, hotfixes, costumes and in short - more longevity for the game.

Which is FAR MORE important than a couple of guest characters.

Or you can keep crying because you didn't get Mokap and Nitara. Up to you.
Noob and Smoke didn't start getting definable character traits until MK9? How about finding out Noob was Bi-Han in Deception? I don't know if you were around then, but that was a huge twist that no one really expected. Smoke admittedly didn't have much to him, but he is a fan favorite from MK2/MK3. News flash, but not everyone wants MK characters because they have an amazing story, they just like the characters. Some people have fond memories of playing their favorite MK characters from older games, some just want to see older characters rejuvenated in a new engine. Whatever the case is, you can't hold it against people who are pissed off about guests being in over them. There's a lot of fans of MK characters who would rather see MK characters rather than fucking Horror characters as DLC. It's not a hard concept to grasp, it's an MK game, and a lot of people feel betrayed when they keep putting in characters that they don't give a shit about.

It's a great thing that KP2 is bringing more patches/hotfixes/costumes etc and I'm really pleased with NRS in doing so, but that doesn't mean I can't complain about Fujin getting in. I agree, it is more important that they are giving a longer life-span for the game, no argument there. Oh, and seriously, no one wanted fucking Mokap, Dairou, Meat, etc. Yeah, they might have fans, but they don't have the type of fans that were begging NRS for months on end to put in the game.

Rude

Noob and Smoke didn't start getting definable character traits until MK9? How about finding out Noob was Bi-Han in Deception? I don't know if you were around then, but that was a huge twist that no one really expected. Smoke admittedly didn't have much to him, but he is a fan favorite from MK2/MK3. News flash, but not everyone wants MK characters because they have an amazing story, they just like the characters. Some people have fond memories of playing their favorite MK characters from older games, some just want to see older characters rejuvenated in a new engine. Whatever the case is, you can't hold it against people who are pissed off about guests being in over them. There's a lot of fans of MK characters who would rather see MK characters rather than fucking Horror characters as DLC. It's not a hard concept to grasp, it's an MK game, and a lot of people feel betrayed when they keep putting in characters that they don't give a shit about.

It's a great thing that KP2 is bringing more patches/hotfixes/costumes etc and I'm really pleased with NRS in doing so, but that doesn't mean I can't complain about Fujin getting in. I agree, it is more important that they are giving a longer life-span for the game, no argument there. Oh, and seriously, no one wanted fucking Mokap, Dairou, Meat, etc. Yeah, they might have fans, but they don't have the type of fans that were begging NRS for months on end to put in the game.
You can prove for a fact that absolutely NO fans of the characters I named wanted them in MK X?

I know all about Deception. You know, the game that everyone criticizes and hates for it's gameplay and story?

You're missing the point entirely. If a character doesn't have a interesting background, if they don't have personality traits that are exclusive to them, then they're not actually characters.

What separates Smoke as a character from the other pallet swaps in older games? Christ, he even had Scorpion's spear and teleport in UMK3. When he wasn't using Sektor's teleport and a slightly different spear in robot form, that is.

Newsflash McFly, just because people feel nostalgic over a thing doesn't make that thing actually good and certainly doesn't justify prioritizing that nostalgia over characters that have an actual history, arc, etc. The majority of the cast in the MK Game are MK Characters, so why are you bitching?

If you don't like the DLC, keep playing your main. Clearly, you're attached enough to main them, so there must be something you like about them.

It's also not a hard concept to grasp that there are people that like the guests. It's not a hard concept to grasp that a lot of the characters people asked for are simply not very good.

So yeah, I can definitely have a problem with entitled complaining coming from a fanbase that would clearly never be satisfied. Boo-hoo, you didn't get Blaze. Get over it. How self-important should you be allowed to be without being called out? KP2 Crybabies need to grow up and realize that they can't have everything.

Even if you had say...Rain, Fujin, Bo, and Tri-Borg...well, you still have pissed off Sareena, Frost, Noob, Human Smoke, Sindel, Kabal, Stryker, Nightwolf etc fans that didn't get their way.

I mean...those characters have games that they're in. Between Good Old Games.com, Steam, PSN, XBox Live, whatever people use for UMK3 tournament edition, there's no reason you can't play those games of you love those characters so much."But Rude...there aren't any tournaments for those games!" To which I say, "If competitive Catherine can get streamed at EVO, you can hold a tournament for older MK games if you care as much about these characters as you say."

Short version: Life is hard, wear a helmet you big babies.

Last edited:

Rude

MK2 was released in 1993. MK4 Gold was released in 1997.

What this means is that based on that ending, Mileena and Kitana's core conflict didn't develop, advance, or change in FOUR YEARS.

THE DEEP, DENSE, EPIC, EXPANSIVE, WILL-CURE-YOU-OF-RETINA-AIDS, GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD, MK LORE!!!!

You can prove for a fact that absolutely NO fans of the characters I named wanted them in MK X?

I know all about Deception. You know, the game that everyone criticizes and hates for it's gameplay and story?

You're missing the point entirely. If a character doesn't have a interesting background, if they don't have personality traits that are exclusive to them, then they're not actually characters.

What separates Smoke as a character from the other pallet swaps in older games? Christ, he even had Scorpion's spear and teleport in UMK3. When he wasn't using Sektor's teleport and a slightly different spear in robot form, that is.

Newsflash McFly, just because people feel nostalgic over a thing doesn't make that thing actually good and certainly doesn't justify prioritizing that nostalgia over characters that have an actual history, arc, etc. The majority of the cast in the MK Game are MK Characters, so why are you bitching?

If you don't like the DLC, keep playing your main. Clearly, you're attached enough to main them, so there must be something you like about them.

It's also not a hard concept to grasp that there are people that like the guests. It's not a hard concept to grasp that a lot of the characters people asked for are simply not very good.

So yeah, I can definitely have a problem with entitled complaining coming from a fanbase that would clearly never be satisfied. Boo-hoo, you didn't get Blaze. Get over it. How self-important should you be allowed to be without being called out? KP2 Crybabies need to grow up and realize that they can't have everything.

Even if you had say...Rain, Fujin, Bo, and Tri-Borg...well, you still have pissed off Sareena, Frost, Noob, Human Smoke, Sindel, Kabal, Stryker, Nightwolf etc fans that didn't get their way.

I mean...those characters have games that they're in. Between Good Old Games.com, Steam, PSN, XBox Live, whatever people use for UMK3 tournament edition, there's no reason you can't play those games of you love those characters so much."But Rude...there aren't any tournaments for those games!" To which I say, "If competitive Catherine can get streamed at EVO, you can hold a tournament for older MK games if you care as much about these characters as you say."

Short version: Life is hard, wear a helmet you big babies.
Obviously there are fans of those characters that wanted them in MKX, but compared to the vocal majority, there might as well have been none. All i'm saying is that there was no realistic chance of Mokap, Blaze, etc to make it in the game, and I bet the fans of those characters know that. I mean, hell, I wanted fucking Hsu Hao, but I'm not going around bitching to NRS that he didn't get in the game, it was obvious that he wasn't going to be.

Deception was criticized for its story? That's news to me, a lot of fans in particular praise Deception as being the peak of MK story-telling. Most fans that I know of criticize MKD for some poor roster choices (Dairou, Darrius, Kira, etc) and poor gameplay like you said.

People feel nostalgia over characters from past MK games because it's Mortal Kombat. Even though those characters may not be considered good by your standards, that doesn't mean they aren't good for the fans who feel nostalgia over them.

Smoke is a bit of a special case, because like you said, he really didn't get fully realized until MK9. He was a palette-swap with stolen moves, but still had a fanbase. People were intrigued when he was introduced in MK2 as a hidden-fighter, and they wanted him to be made into a playable character in the next game, which they did.

Leatherface may have an actual history and a character arc, yeah, but why the fuck should he be given priority over characters who have actually been involved in the franchise? By introducing old characters like Havik, Fujin, etc into the story and the gameplay, they could get a bigger fanbase and subsequently have a better chance of appearing in future games where they can have their backstory expanded upon.

A lot of potential has been wasted on characters like them in the past, and there's a lot of people who want that potential to be realized for characters who haven't gotten that treatment yet. Fujin in particular is a character who has wasted potential written all over him. In his MK4 ending he was made the protector of Earthrealm in favor of Raiden. MKDA comes along and it's like Fujin never existed. That could have gone in a very interesting direction to see how Fujin handled that responsibility, but it never happened. Come MK9 where Raiden is portrayed as the biggest fuck-up in MK history, it makes sense for Fujin to appear in the next game and take over as Earthrealm's protector. He appeared in the story for like 3 minutes and is never mentioned again, and once again isn't on the playable roster. Most fans of the character are pissed off because he isn't being utilized at all. Fujin fans aren't asking for the character because of his backstory, they're asking for him because he has loads of potential that could make him into an awesome character. Amazing gameplay possibilities, an interesting story dynamic with Raiden, we could learn more about the character through the intros, find out what he was doing when he was missing in the main story. We just want him to be an actual character this time around instead of him sitting on the sidelines like in the older games.

I'm fine with guest characters as long as they don't overcrowd the roster. I know, I know, 4 characters out of (32?) isn't overcrowding by any means, but I would have preferred there to be one or two guests, or none at all. I just prefer MK to be MK. Honestly, i'm not that upset about KP2 anymore because of Bo' Rai Cho. My kneejerk reaction at first was to bitch and complain but I've calmed down since then and realized that I can't have it all, like you said. I'm just defending the people who don't have a single character that they like out of this pack, because I can relate to it.

Oh, and once again you bring up the MK4 endings. Dude, everyone knows they are fucking awful. That's about the time where the story started spiraling downhill, it had been pretty consistent during the original trilogy, and I think everyone knows that. Sure, it was cheesy as fuck, but it was still an interesting story nonetheless. No one is calling the MK story a masterpiece, it has a plethora of flaws, but it is what it is.

Rude

Obviously there are fans of those characters that wanted them in MKX, but compared to the vocal majority, there might as well have been none. All i'm saying is that there was no realistic chance of Mokap, Blaze, etc to make it in the game, and I bet the fans of those characters know that. I mean, hell, I wanted fucking Hsu Hao, but I'm not going around bitching to NRS that he didn't get in the game, it was obvious that he wasn't going to be.

Deception was criticized for its story? That's news to me, a lot of fans in particular praise Deception as being the peak of MK story-telling. Most fans that I know of criticize MKD for some poor roster choices (Dairou, Darrius, Kira, etc) and poor gameplay like you said.

People feel nostalgia over characters from past MK games because it's Mortal Kombat. Even though those characters may not be considered good by your standards, that doesn't mean they aren't good for the fans who feel nostalgia over them.

Smoke is a bit of a special case, because like you said, he really didn't get fully realized until MK9. He was a palette-swap with stolen moves, but still had a fanbase. People were intrigued when he was introduced in MK2 as a hidden-fighter, and they wanted him to be made into a playable character in the next game, which they did.

Leatherface may have an actual history and a character arc, yeah, but why the fuck should he be given priority over characters who have actually been involved in the franchise? By introducing old characters like Havik, Fujin, etc into the story and the gameplay, they could get a bigger fanbase and subsequently have a better chance of appearing in future games where they can have their backstory expanded upon.

A lot of potential has been wasted on characters like them in the past, and there's a lot of people who want that potential to be realized for characters who haven't gotten that treatment yet. Fujin in particular is a character who has wasted potential written all over him. In his MK4 ending he was made the protector of Earthrealm in favor of Raiden. MKDA comes along and it's like Fujin never existed. That could have gone in a very interesting direction to see how Fujin handled that responsibility, but it never happened. Come MK9 where Raiden is portrayed as the biggest fuck-up in MK history, it makes sense for Fujin to appear in the next game and take over as Earthrealm's protector. He appeared in the story for like 3 minutes and is never mentioned again, and once again isn't on the playable roster. Most fans of the character are pissed off because he isn't being utilized at all. Fujin fans aren't asking for the character because of his backstory, they're asking for him because he has loads of potential that could make him into an awesome character. Amazing gameplay possibilities, an interesting story dynamic with Raiden, we could learn more about the character through the intros, find out what he was doing when he was missing in the main story. We just want him to be an actual character this time around instead of him sitting on the sidelines like in the older games.

I'm fine with guest characters as long as they don't overcrowd the roster. I know, I know, 4 characters out of (32?) isn't overcrowding by any means, but I would have preferred there to be one or two guests, or none at all. I just prefer MK to be MK. Honestly, i'm not that upset about KP2 anymore because of Bo' Rai Cho. My kneejerk reaction at first was to bitch and complain but I've calmed down since then and realized that I can't have it all, like you said. I'm just defending the people who don't have a single character that they like out of this pack, because I can relate to it.

Oh, and once again you bring up the MK4 endings. Dude, everyone knows they are fucking awful. That's about the time where the story started spiraling downhill, it had been pretty consistent during the original trilogy, and I think everyone knows that. Sure, it was cheesy as fuck, but it was still an interesting story nonetheless. No one is calling the MK story a masterpiece, it has a plethora of flaws, but it is what it is.
If Deception is the "peak" of MK storytelling, well...that certainly doesn't say much about the MK story. Regardless, you were using the revelation of Bi-Han as justification for Noob Saibot's uniqueness. Just so we're clear: Your definable characteristic for Noob in Deception is that he's actually a different, older and more realized character, only undead. That's not selling me on Noob as a compelling character.

Also, these aren't just my "standards" for a good character. It's what makes a character more than a plot device. A fully realized character has distinctive personality traits, a motivation that drives their actions in a given story, a character arc, (Example: a character starts out as a coward at the beginning of a story and throughout the course of it endured events that force them to be brave, resulting in a climax that completes the arc), they change over the course of time, etc. This is basic Storytelling 101 stuff, here.

The reality is that outside of aesthetics, most of the MK cast haven't really changed since their inception.

Potential? You want a character in because he "might" be good in the context of a reboot. If Fujin was in KP2, he would have a ladder ending and that's about it. That's not much to work with, and whatever development he would get is non-canon, so....I'm not convinced. Now, if Fujin and the like were in MK11, then sure.

Also, another thing a lot of these people aren't considering is that we may get another pack after this. Or, like Martian Manhunter, they may have another character waiting in the wings that we don't know about.

Years went by and we watched MK9 eventually fade out due to imbalance, glitches, etc that existed in the game. Same for Injustice. If MK9 had "one last patch," it's possible it would still be alive today.

KP2 means the game could get that. To me, that is a much higher priority than if my favorite character from MK9 or the 3D era makes it. If the trade off to getting more support is having a Xenomorph in the game, that's fine. It's worth it.

Plus, say what you will about Leatherface and Alien, but Predator and Jason have very unique designs that a lot of players have come to like. What's to say that NRS won't make the new guests interesting and fun to play as well? And if they are fun to play...will them not being MK Characters still matter?

The thing you need to realize is that there are far more practical responses to this than what the Tearjerkers have been doing.

Writing whiney letters to the dev, comparing NRS to an abusive relationship, (This happened. You know, abusive relationships where one or more participants may endure physical/psychological pain that can haunt them for their whole lives, which is exactly like buying a video game, apparently), calling for a boycott, among many more outrageous and entitled responses. This kind of deal is what I take exception with, because it's completely childish, self-indulgent, and lacking in any understanding of the big picture.

You will never please anyone. People would have felt jilted by KP2 regardless of who was in it. If Sindel wasn't in, Sindel fans would be pissed. Rain, Reiko, etc. You get the idea.

DelSchokoladenSaft

Can of Corn Main
If Deception is the "peak" of MK storytelling, well...that certainly doesn't say much about the MK story. Regardless, you were using the revelation of Bi-Han as justification for Noob Saibot's uniqueness. Just so we're clear: Your definable characteristic for Noob in Deception is that he's actually a different, older and more realized character, only undead. That's not selling me on Noob as a compelling character.

Also, these aren't just my "standards" for a good character. It's what makes a character more than a plot device. A fully realized character has distinctive personality traits, a motivation that drives their actions in a given story, a character arc, (Example: a character starts out as a coward at the beginning of a story and throughout the course of it endured events that force them to be brave, resulting in a climax that completes the arc), they change over the course of time, etc. This is basic Storytelling 101 stuff, here.

The reality is that outside of aesthetics, most of the MK cast haven't really changed since their inception.

Potential? You want a character in because he "might" be good in the context of a reboot. If Fujin was in KP2, he would have a ladder ending and that's about it. That's not much to work with, and whatever development he would get is non-canon, so....I'm not convinced. Now, if Fujin and the like were in MK11, then sure.

Also, another thing a lot of these people aren't considering is that we may get another pack after this. Or, like Martian Manhunter, they may have another character waiting in the wings that we don't know about.

Years went by and we watched MK9 eventually fade out due to imbalance, glitches, etc that existed in the game. Same for Injustice. If MK9 had "one last patch," it's possible it would still be alive today.

KP2 means the game could get that. To me, that is a much higher priority than if my favorite character from MK9 or the 3D era makes it. If the trade off to getting more support is having a Xenomorph in the game, that's fine. It's worth it.

Plus, say what you will about Leatherface and Alien, but Predator and Jason have very unique designs that a lot of players have come to like. What's to say that NRS won't make the new guests interesting and fun to play as well? And if they are fun to play...will them not being MK Characters still matter?

The thing you need to realize is that there are far more practical responses to this than what the Tearjerkers have been doing.

Writing whiney letters to the dev, comparing NRS to an abusive relationship, (This happened. You know, abusive relationships where one or more participants may endure physical/psychological pain that can haunt them for their whole lives, which is exactly like buying a video game, apparently), calling for a boycott, among many more outrageous and entitled responses. This kind of deal is what I take exception with, because it's completely childish, self-indulgent, and lacking in any understanding of the big picture.

You will never please anyone. People would have felt jilted by KP2 regardless of who was in it. If Sindel wasn't in, Sindel fans would be pissed. Rain, Reiko, etc. You get the idea.
Preach.
I'm gunna piggyback this idea, if you will.
The feud between Sub-Zero was just put to rest here. Noob killed Scorp, Scorp killed Noob, Sub-Zero wants revenge, blah blah blah.
Every good guy plot ever (Liu Kang fights the bad and wins) turned into every revenge plot ever (Liu Kang gets killed by accident from Raiden, now wants revenge.)
I literally did the math on how many ways the kp2 could've went. I think Fujin would've been recycled Kitana and Kung Lao anyway.
People are going to be mad. The only constant in life is change.