What's new

New MKX Gameplay Preview Video From German Magazine PCGames.de

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
It was(edited) by a moderator on here....it says it within the actual first post. Lower right hand corner of the OP. I really don't want to have to take a screen shot to prove my point here, so I'll just ask you to please read the first post again. Lower right hand corner...I didn't act like an ass, it was a misunderstanding....you decided to get involved for whatever random reason. Personally, at this point I really don't care.

I don't recall seeing it there about the trading hits confirmed(since that was what a user said quoted) so clearly wasn't there to begin with, .Either way that's not what the article was about...that was only something a user pointed out technically irrelevant to what the two German guys were talking about.

I don't know what "ghost editing" posts mean but I'm good, thanks.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
No it done(edited) by a moderator on here....it says it within the actual first post. Lower right hand corner of the OP.

I don't recall seeing it there about the trading hits confirmed, doesn't matter....either way that's not what the article was about...that was only something a user pointed out technically irrelevant to what the two German guys were talking about.

I edited the post in order to add the English translation, and Braindead removed a couple sentences from the bottom calling the video's origin into question -- but everything else above the video is exactly like it was when the thread was first posted, letter for letter.

No it done(edited) by a moderator on here....it says it within the actual first post. Lower right hand corner of the OP.

I don't recall seeing it there about the trading hits confirmed, doesn't matter....either way that's not what the article was about...that was only something a user pointed out technically irrelevant to what the two German guys were talking about.

Yes, that edit was for the translation. As the original poster pointed out, the hit trade comment was there from the beginning.

Ninja edits\ghost edits are when you edit a post after the fact without indicating you did so. It's bad Internet etiquette.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Yeah @CrimsonShadow described exactly what happened. I didn't want to reply because I don't want this little debate to continue because I don't think it's worth fighting over.

@MKF30 you simply missed it. No big deal. It's not worth fighting over.

Let's focus on the important stuff; MKX does not have P1 advantage anymore.

MKF30

I edited the post in order to add the English translation, and Braindead removed a couple sentences from the bottom calling the video's origin into question -- but everything else above the video is exactly like it was when the thread was first posted, letter for letter.
Yeah that's cool, I was just pointing out that a mod had edited the first post. ;)

@Braindead yeah dude it's all good. Just a little misunderstanding with that other stuff, but yeah all good and good post!

@ El Duderino Yes, I was just pointing out that a mod had edited it(not the OP like I initially thought) and that my initial comments concerned the video.

Uhh, ok...well I'm pretty sure that's not a mandatory rule. Well, "ninja" edits or "ghost" edits whatever, I've do that all the time all over, nobody complains on various sites. Sounds like an unwritten internet rules? Yeah....I just try to obey the site's rules, not rules convenient for other users. Just so you know for future reference, you know adding fuel to a fire or not minding your own isn't exactly good "Internet etiquette" Cheers.

Last edited:

BS3OOO

Noob
I'm serious since usually when people say trades, in MK they're referring to projectiles or special moves (didn't think people were still bitching over normal move trades) but apparently so. Either way, while I'm not against it just saying this isn't Injustice or SF. I hate it when people try to turn MK into another fighting game or because another fighting game's mechanics have it. Same thing or similar with the "omg why doesn't MK have back to block instead of a button"

I'm all for improvements, I just am not for turning MK into something it's not. Know what i'm saying?
Dude sometimes it's better to stay quiet. Have you been under a rock these past 3 years? Hits not being tradable and Player 1 advantage was peoples biggest gripe about MK9. As much as you're on this website and post things MK related, one would assume you knew. Trading hits is not a bad thing to copy from another game, it should be a standard.

Braindead

Dude sometimes it's better to stay quiet. Have you been under a rock these past 3 years? Hits not being tradable and Player 1 advantage was peoples biggest gripe about MK9. As much as you're on this website and post things MK related, one would assume you knew. Trading hits is not a bad thing to copy from another game, it should be a standard.
It was all just a misunderstanding.
We are over this little debate.

Let's move on.

Atriox

Here... I am a god!
Me being german, this is really embarrassing. Stupidest commentary I have ever heard... and what the fuck is he talking about, "us europeans don't like it" or whatever trash bs came out of his mouth? God... how about next time you let someone do the commentary who isn't completely biased, because obviously, these two idiots were.

Now looking at the positive aite of things though, I freaking love the intro dialogue. This really kinda gives every fight a little back story, I really love that. Much better than the dialogue in Injustice, Now, of course that won't matter in tournament play whatsoever, but I just really like it. :p Never will I skip an intro ever again. haha Combos look dope as hell too.

MKF30

Sometimes it's better to read previous posts before posting. See otherwise you'd know I said this already, and yes I'm well aware. I thought he was referring to something else initially. That last part of your posts is your opinion, if it's not an issue then I really don't care because it works for another game. Some folks wanted back to block in MK also(doesn't mean it's a good thing however.)

If it helps the gameplay I'm for it.

But what @Braindead said...so can we move on now? Yes?

At any rate, it's good to see fresher gameplay and look forward to what Ed Boon, NRS reveals in the future :)

BS3OOO

Noob
It was all just a misunderstanding.
We are over this little debate.

Let's move on.
Sometimes it's better to read previous posts before posting. See otherwise you'd know I said this already, and yes I'm well aware. I thought he was referring to something else initially. That last part of your posts is your opinion, if it's not an issue then I really don't care because it works for another game. Some folks wanted back to block in MK also(doesn't mean it's a good thing however.)

If it helps the gameplay I'm for it.
I typed up a reply on my phone, got distracted, and came back to post that reply. This dude posted paragraphs in multiple posts, in a snobby way, explaining how hits were tradable in the game. I felt he just wanted to debate for no reason. I read the previous post before I replied, but still wanted to post it anyway. Giving a person an advantage for being player 1 can not be compared to the blocking in this game. Some prefer back to block, some prefer the block button.....but point me to a person who prefers for player 1 to have an advantage. There may be one sick person out there that desires that but still...I'll leave it alone.

McCarron

Noob
I don't know how those guys got this video, but it looks like whoever was playing knew what they are doing.
I'm fairly certain this is the MKX B-Roll gameplay footage that was created for E3 by NRS. It was given only to certain outlets for their coverage, so it's likely that it is the designers themselves playing like the other demos.

MKF30

I typed up a reply on my phone, got distracted, and came back to post that reply. This dude posted paragraphs in multiple posts, in a snobby way, explaining how hits were tradable in the game. I felt he just wanted to debate for no reason. I read the previous post before I replied, but still wanted to post it anyway. Giving a person an advantage for being player 1 can not be compared to the blocking in this game. Some prefer back to block, some prefer the block button.....but point me to a person who prefers for player 1 to have an advantage. There may be one sick person out there that desires that but still...I'll leave it alone.
As I said it was a misunderstanding, again. Not snobby(sorry if it sounded that way?), I was just under the impression he was talking about something else. But as Brain mentioned, he's the OP he realized what everyone meant and wants everyone to move one if you don't mind.

My point is just because a mechanic may work in another game well doesn't =will work great for MK. This is flawed logic. I'm not referring to player 1 having an edge, they should be equal as far as that's concerned. Cheers.

Braindead

I'm fairly certain this is the MKX B-Roll gameplay footage that was created for E3 by NRS. It was given only to certain outlets for their coverage, so it's likely that it is the designers themselves playing like the other demos.
I doubt it, man. The skill of the players in this video far exceeds the skills of those we saw in the rest of the E3 videos.
In the previous E3 videos, the combos we saw were simple repetitive juggling combos using simple strings, and most of them were dropped.
In this video, however, we see combos that look like actual practical combos experienced players would use in a match; they contained string starters canceled into specials that bounce and end with more specials not just regular strings. These combos were also highly varied and rarely dropped.

McCarron

Noob
I doubt it, man. The skill of the players in this video far exceeds the skills of those we saw in the rest of the E3 videos.
In the previous E3 videos, the combos we saw were simple repetitive juggling combos using simple strings, and most of them were dropped.
In this video, however, we see combos that look like actual practical combos experienced players would use in a match; they contained string starters canceled into specials that bounce and end with more specials not just regular strings. These combos were also highly varied and rarely dropped.
I actually just confirmed that this footage was the the NRS B-Roll footage. The footage was a recording of NRS staff, at NRS the week before E3. I don't know specifically who played for the B-Roll footage though. Likely one of the gameplay designers or testers. Hopefully more of this footage surfaces, I sadly have been unable to get my hands on it for the community.

The big difference is at E3 the streams you saw were not played on ideal setups. The E3 demos were done remotely on another company's setup and also done live behind or on the stage. The screen they are playing on could have been hard to see, or laggy from the screen itself or the wiring required for their stream setup. These companies don't run lag free tournament environments for the developers to demo off of. Even if they bring their own devkit, which they did at E3, there could still be problems.

So even if the same two people are playing in both videos, which is possible but hard to tell, the live show gameplay setup is less than ideal than their recording setup at the office.

khrome

Master of The Universe
Source?

McCarron

Noob
I'm told there is only one b-roll clip out there, but not sure how long it is. This video used it without cutting it at all, which is great. I am still asking them to release it, we'll see if that comes out eventually.

Braindead

I'm told there is only one b-roll clip out there, but not sure how long it is. This video used it without cutting it at all, which is great. I am still asking them to release it, we'll see if that comes out eventually.
One quick dumb question: What does B-roll mean?

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
Yes you could, I did it all the time. I'd get frozen, while I've burned someone with Scorpion, or they eat my missles or Ermac's hado ball etc, you could both freeze one another for years in MK if both had Sub-Zero. MK has trades....

You seem to be griping over the fact that you lost the trade depending on who you are, that can happen. Example if you're Sektor and trade a missle with Sub's freeze ball. Obviously Sub has the advantage there as he should, that's why you don't just mindlessly spam projectiles against Sub-Zero knowing that can happen. But yes, trades have existed in MK 2 dude....

I don't know what legit trades is, the fighter either offers trades or doesn't. Example, SF has no trades fireballs cancel each other out. MK has trades.

EDIT: apparently were were talking about two entirely different things.....but yes, it appears MK will have normal trades now. Not just with projectiles. Cheers.
I guess I should have been more specific about normals lol. No probs.

McCarron

Noob
One quick dumb question: What does B-roll mean?
B-Roll is footage prepared in advance for media outlets to put into interviews and coverage of stuff, not a specifically video game related term. Why you see a lot of the same content cut into interviews with actors/directors movies, tv shows, etc. Also done in the game industry. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-roll

In this case it's basically raw gameplay that I was hoping the community could have for analysis, but was told it was being revered for certain outlets use only. Since it's not live and was done in a controlled environment, they could wash and redo it if they messed up during recording. Almost all future gameplay videos of the game will be this quality until it's put into the public's hands where filming is allowed.

There was no filming/recording of gameplay allowed at E3 for anyone with exception of those interviewing Ed Boon live on their stages. I was barely allowed to take photos in that room.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
Translation:

Speaker 1: friendly guys beating up each other... the new mkx was shown at e3
Speaker 2: i was able to see some gameplay and sadly gotta say im a bit disappointed. i hoped for a bit more but this seems like a mix between the predecessor and injustice.
Speaker 1: so game mechanics are more old-school, kinda fast but not as tactical
Speaker 2: exactly. i couldnt play but all the stiff Combos as seen, background elements you can use as weapon or swing from branch to branch, thats all stuff thats in injustice and pro players wont like it
Speaker 1: are there relevant new gameplay elements?
Speaker 2: not really. you can pick from three fighting styles before a fight now. so you can use one move against a certain opponent while against another a differnet style is better. but its sad you cant change it during the fight but only before
Speaker 1: so you cant change it on the fly?
Speaker 2: exactly. that wouldve had more style but probably NRS thinks thats too much work again
Speaker 1: graphics wise its ok but not stunning, judging by the fact its supposed to be next gen. Backgrounds are quite nice but of course kinda artificial again. and of course, as usual in mk...
Speaker 2: sigh...
Speaker 1: ...disgusting stuff. the americans of course are happy about it, it belongs there, the finishing moves. whoever needs it, i think its unnecessary, and pretty disgunsting most of the time
Speaker 2: you look at it 2 times, like it and thats it. the americans went pretty crazy during the presentation... but no.
Speaker 1: we europeans dont think thats ok (<-with kinda ironic voice) and close with the words: meh, its a mortal kombat, kinda entertaining for beat em up-fans, a bit of button mashing, but not more
speaker2: exactly. lets see

You weren't lying. No wonder the dislikes.

You will notice that he opened with a J1 or 2, but it doesn't actually combo, the counter only shows up when the fireball hits.
To make sure I also made a gif of another combo started from a jump in.

So there is no lag from the combo counter.

Dat sub-zero combo is so pretty. I'm crying.

MKF30

I guess I should have been more specific about normals lol. No probs.
lol it's fine man I admit I also missed that part in the original post ;) I was so excited I just watched the vid and read the german to english translation lol.

B-Roll is footage prepared in advance for media outlets to put into interviews and coverage of stuff, not a specifically video game related term. Why you see a lot of the same content cut into interviews with actors/directors movies, tv shows, etc. Also done in the game industry. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-roll

In this case it's basically raw gameplay that I was hoping the community could have for analysis, but was told it was being revered for certain outlets use only. Since it's not live and was done in a controlled environment, they could wash and redo it if they messed up during recording. Almost all future gameplay videos of the game will be this quality until it's put into the public's hands where filming is allowed.

There was no filming/recording of gameplay allowed at E3 for anyone with exception of those interviewing Ed Boon live on their stages. I was barely allowed to take photos in that room.
Oh cool, never knew that. So in other words people who tried to tape Scorpion's fatality probably weren't allowed lol(cause I noticed NOBODY posted it on youtube) lol usually there's one leak here and there, nothing this time :(

McCarron

Noob
Oh cool, never knew that. So in other words people who tried to tape Scorpion's fatality probably weren't allowed lol(cause I noticed NOBODY posted it on youtube) lol usually there's one leak here and there, nothing this time :(
In 2010 when MK9 was at E3 there was a bit more gameplay footage leaked, but this time they cracked down and had security monitoring that. It's important to keep the footage released of the game at this stage controlled for many reasons.

In the case of Scorpion's Fatality, it was shown at the end of the demo theatre presentation, and there was this warning before the theatre demo started:

And no, I didn't get in trouble for this photo but I felt it was worth it just to illustrate to fans that it wasn't allowed and also I thought it was a good photo of NRS's producer Erin. So I took the risk.

In the back room with the press demo stations, no filming was allowed at all, and only a few photos of the room were even allowed.