What's new

New MKX Gameplay Preview Video From German Magazine PCGames.de

The game looks quicker than Injustice, which is a good thing and I absolutely love that the camera is closer to the characters. Looks like they've combined everything that was great about MK9 and IGAU and improved upon those mechanics. It's the MK9/IGAU super child.
lets hope so. it definitely looks kinda promising

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
The game looks quicker than Injustice, which is a good thing and I absolutely love that the camera is closer to the characters. Looks like they've combined everything that was great about MK9 and IGAU and improved upon those mechanics. It's the MK9/IGAU super child.
What exactly is Injustice-y about it?
Don't say interactables.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
No Dash cancels. Combos as a result look similar. Everyone has traits more or less.
I don't agree.
We do have dash cancels. You can cancel the dash into a run, and run into anything. It's not like Injustice. Not one bit.
What do you mean by traits?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I don't agree.
We do have dash cancels. You can cancel the dash into a run, and run into anything. It's not like Injustice. Not one bit.
What do you mean by traits?
According to Paulo, If you are cancelling a dash to run rather than just running, you have to full dash before the run. Meaning that you can't cancel out of a dash mid-dash like MK9. It's like IGAU where each dash comes out completely and then you do whatever's next.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
According to Paulo, If you are cancelling a dash to run rather than just running, you have to full dash before the run. Meaning that you can't cancel out of a dash mid-dash like MK9. It's like IGAU where each dash comes out completely and then you do whatever's next.
I didn't see where this was confirmed. Are you saying you can cancel your dash with a run right at the beginning of the dash OR cancel with a run right at the end of the dash? But not in between those two points?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I didn't see where this was confirmed. Are you saying you can cancel your dash with a run right at the beginning of the dash OR cancel with a run right at the end of the dash? But not in between those two points?
He talked about it in stream chat for OBS. From what he said, it sounds like either you just run, or you cancel a dash to run which causes the run to come out after the dash is complete.

I wouldn't really consider these elements of Injustice tbh...it's more like NRS evolving their fighting game mechanic over the years.
Technically they are elements of IGAU though, just like some elements of MK9 made it into IGAU and some didn't. Seems like they took the best of IGAU and folded it back in, even where it differs from traditional 2d MK (like the bg interactibles and non-flip jumps).

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
You can't cancel a dash into a run until the dash has finished.
You can run without dashing and then cancel that into block.
I see. I guess I'm still having trouble picturing the input, though. To immediately run...

Are we dashing and immediately pressing and holding block before the dash animation starts (fwd,fwd+blk)? Or are we holding blk and then dashing? Maybe something in between works?

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I see. I guess I'm still having trouble picturing the input, though. To immediately run...

Are we dashing and immediately pressing and holding block before the dash animation starts (fwd,fwd+blk)? Or are we holding blk and then dashing? Maybe something in between works?
I think you can run by "dashing" while holding block.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
What exactly is Injustice-y about it?
Don't say interactables.
Why wouldn't I say interactables? Did MK9 have interactables? Off the top of my head; Interactables, traits, some of the combos looks familiar, the speculation of comboing off of d3 and such. Nothing is wrong with any of that. The MK side is definitely the breaker, x-rays, dial a combo, fatalities, etc. etc. It's a match made in heaven.

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
In MK, you know D1 or D3 or D4~Special DOESN'T combo. However, if you look real close ( :46 mark to be exact )...

Not sure if it was a combo, or the demonstrator simply didnt block, but that was Scorpion doing D1~EX Spear

Injustice? Again?

:DOGE

BTW, IF D1s COMBO INTO SPECIALS AND KITANA IS IN THE GAME, D1~CUTTER WILL NO LONGER BE THE GREATEST GIMMICK EVER!! I WILL REJOICE!
Nah. Doesn't seem fast enough for a combo to me. Cyrax's D4~Ragdoll in Mk9 has quicker animation and that's not a combo.

It's killing me to know if d4/d3/d1's kombo or not.

You can't tell by the speed they link, since in MK9, hit-stun didn't work that way. Whether something could kombo or not was arbitrary. You could be +infinity and a 6 framer wouldn't link if the game wouldn't allow it (Nut Punch, for example), so we can't really tell by that.

Has anyone who actually played the game tested this out yet? It has pretty huge implications for how the game will play.

@testers

Wetdoba

All too easy...
You can't cancel a dash into a run until the dash has finished.
You can run without dashing and then cancel that into block.
So this means you can still do all the dash cancelling like in MK9 except now you have to hold down block while you do it and it costs stamina over time right?

Wetdoba

All too easy...
no idea

i haven't played it
Well theoretically from what we know it sounds like you can except now its just running instead of dashing. You run by holding block and pressing >> like a dash and run can be cancelled into block and cancelled into attacks so that same style of pressure from 9 could be applied at the cost of stamina. That's what it sounds like at least.

I hope they make launchers and armored moves really punishable on block. At least make invincible combo starters punishable on block ffs... Also I hope there's more push-back on block or they bring over the pushblock from IGAU.