What's new

MKX Versus MK9 Graphics/Detail Comparison Picture

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I might be in the minority here, but I feel that MK9 had a more realistic feel to it. Then again, I do feel like the PS2-3D era MK games were the height of the games graphics for a while.
I don't know the general consensus about it, but I personally hated the way the ps2 games looked.
The art style, the animations, the costumes. I just found the entire package to be visually appalling.

I even vastly prefer something like MKvsDC over it.

E

Eldriken

In all honesty, MKX's graphics are superbly underwhelming. When I see what a game like Killer Instinct, a day one launch title for the XB1 is capable of in regards to not only graphics, but also character design in general, MKX comes up significantly short. Now, I understand what MKX offers what KI doesn't in regards to a story mode, mini games, etc., but that doesn't stop me from looking at MKX's visuals with a critical eye. When I saw Sonya's hair and face for example, it just showed me how lazy of an approach the designers took when they decided to have her in the game.
I don't think KI looks better than MKX. At all. Tone down the unnecessary amount of particle effects and a few other things and it could probably run on the 360.

I'm not saying that KI is an ugly game, however. It's just like @aldazo said: It looks like an enhanced SFIV game.

E

Eldriken

Uhm... guys...

This is MKX:

Please note Sonya's hair.

And this is a game with current-gen graphics:

I seriously don't get what you're all excited for. Sure, MKX is better-looking than MK9... obviously, since the latter came out in 2011.
Your image links are broken.

E

Eldriken

Do these work?

MKX: http://s17.postimg.org/hahdz7ubx/mkx.png

The other game: http://s11.postimg.org/72oa3eurl/witcher.jpg

In all honesty, I don't know if that other game's screenshot is actually from the in-game graphics or if it's just a "masked up in photoshop" promotional screenshot. Like ones posted for MKX in this very thread. The difference is still there, though.
The Witcher 3's engine isn't UE3, which is what I think is really holding MKX back in terms of graphics. However, MKX still looks great for a fighting game. I doubt NRS' top priority was making it look amazing versus making it run amazing.

I think if NRS would have used UE4 instead of UE3, this discussion wouldn't even be going on right now.

The Witcher 3's engine isn't UE3, which is what I think is really holding MKX back in terms of graphics. However, MKX still looks great for a fighting game. I doubt NRS' top priority was making it look amazing versus making it run amazing.

I think if NRS would have used UE4 instead of UE3, this discussion wouldn't even be going on right now.
Oh, I have to agree with you here. I've not seen any fighting game that looks better than MKX right now. I think the last Soul Calibur is the closest thing to it.

UE4 might be a monster engine but it is relatively new. If MKX where to be developed in it, sure, it would look amazingly better, graphics-wise, but NRS would probably have little idea on how to animate those moves as fluidly as they do on UE3 (or something along those lines) and we would get a prettier, but inferior, Mortal Kombat game.

I'm satisfied with MKX graphics, but I'm not completely blown up by them. And that's fine, lol.

E

Eldriken

Oh, I have to agree with you here. I've not seen any fighting game that looks better than MKX right now. I think the last Soul Calibur is the closest thing to it.

UE4 might be a monster engine but it is relatively new. If MKX where to be developed in it, sure, it would look amazingly better, graphics-wise, but NRS would probably have little idea on how to animate those moves as fluidly as they do on UE3 (or something along those lines) and we would get a prettier, but inferior, Mortal Kombat game.

I'm satisfied with MKX graphics, but I'm not completely blown up by them. And that's fine, lol.
I'm satisfied with them as well. Hell, I don't like how the characters' hair looks. There's NO tessellation at all whatsoever. There's no excuse for that on a next-gen system, y'know? Then again, Dragon Age: Inquisition isn't any better with its LEGO-plastic looking hair. >.>

Still looks better, MKX she looks weird

I'll take man face over that bigass forehead
I love how u are basing the character model off 1 picture of her, and that picture isn't even her final model. Both her and johnny hairstyle and overall look slightly changed from what u see in that photo...

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
In all honesty, MKX's graphics are superbly underwhelming. When I see what a game like Killer Instinct, a day one launch title for the XB1 is capable of in regards to not only graphics, but also character design in general, MKX comes up significantly short. Now, I understand what MKX offers what KI doesn't in regards to a story mode, mini games, etc., but that doesn't stop me from looking at MKX's visuals with a critical eye. When I saw Sonya's hair and face for example, it just showed me how lazy of an approach the designers took when they decided to have her in the game.
Totally disagree, ki looks cartoony, overly bulky and disproportional compared to mkx characters.

Mkx looks vastly better then ki3. Compare kitana and orchid, its not even comparable....

Mothmonsterman0

Mortal Kombat is NOT dead.
well, i mean, it's kind of on a next gen, so of course it's going to look better lmao. if we're gonna call out mk9 graphics, lets at least wait to use the ps3/xbox360 version of the game

I for one think MK9 still looks bad ass <3

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Honestly, yes, the graphics could be better, sure. The use of UE3 is probably holding them back. However, overall the game looks absolutely gorgeous.

As other people have said, the little effects are what's most impressive to me. The way the planks on The Kove stage move when fighters step over them, the particle effects flying all over the place during matches, and it moves as smooth as butter.

As for the characters looking a bit cartoony, I seem to remember one of the designers saying that it was a conscience design choice. With the violence level they don't want to make the game overly realistic so that it becomes too grotesque.

Overall, I think the game looks fantastic, and considering what it looked like when it was first shown (Cassie... **shudders**) NRS has done an incredible job.

astronout

see you at the top.
Totally disagree, ki looks cartoony, overly bulky and disproportional compared to mkx characters.

Mkx looks vastly better then ki3. Compare kitana and orchid, its not even comparable....
let's agree to disagree. KI's art style is succeeds in its attempt to look both stunning and cartoony while mk has and continues to fail in its realistic approach. KI is beautiful in person. We'll see if the same can be said for MK.

Last edited:

Rosegoddess3

Diamond Dust
I think MKX looks fantastic. I love how they Johnny look more like an action hero, and Sonya looks better in my opinion. The faces are more realistic. The teeth in MK9 always kind of bugged me.

That Cage costume is by far my least favorite outfit of his.
Out of all the characters I pretty much expected Cage to be changed the least. I don't see why they found the need to completely alter his appearance for MKX, he was perfect in MK9. I feel like it's just a way for them to show off the new features in MKX but it made him look worse. His hair looks fucking stupid, he seriously looks like Kurt Russell now. Not to mention the voice, his voice was so much better in MK9 imo. I feel like it's going to bug me through the entire story.

Slymind

Noob
Uhm... guys...

This is MKX:

Please note Sonya's hair.

And this is a game with current-gen graphics:

I seriously don't get what you're all excited for. Sure, MKX is better-looking than MK9... obviously, since the latter came out in 2011.
Is The Witcher 3 60 FPS(locked) + 1080p on consoles?(rhetorical btw) CDprojekt has been showing what would be the PC building on max, not really fair.

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!
I'm pretty sure that Witcher 3 screenshot is a touched up promo. Like the MKX announcement trailer of Scorpion and Subbie in the forest with Wiz Khalifa playing.

People seriously think KI looks better than MKX? Seriously?

People think this: http://www.gametribute.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Omen-killer-instinct-orbs.jpg

Looks better than this: http://media1.gameinformer.com/imagefeed/screenshots/MortalKombatX/MKX_GamescomScreenshot_KanoScorpion.jpg

That's not 'agree to disagree' territory. That's like saying 'well I prefer to read books where the pages are smothered in brown sauce' or 'well I happen to prefer drinking hydrochloric acid to water'. I like KI and I think it's great for a fighting game developed on a budget, with fantastic netcode and developers who really get in touch with their community (hint hint NRS) but it in no way shape or form looks better graphically than MKX

KiD INsAnitY

Z of The Leaf -Team R.A.N
I love how u are basing the character model off 1 picture of her, and that picture isn't even her final model. Both her and johnny hairstyle and overall look slightly changed from what u see in that photo...
Love it all you want doesn't mean shit to me and no it's not just from 1 picture ..She was ugly in the story preview we got yesterday 2 ..Like I said chick is ugly this time around (which is my opinion obviously)..Her daughter looks fine tho.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Imagine if PC was the lead platform.
I hate to burst the hipster bubble here, but the arcade build of Tekken 7 is essentially doing that, within the arcade environment, you don't even have to care about "what's the most feasible max settings a PC user would be able to run", and well;

Not really a decisive difference. The only way the current gen home console could really up the anti in terms of specs is if they were retailing at Neo Geo-esque launch prices. "What's a Neo Geo?" you may ask? Exactly. Hell, the PS3 somewhat tried their hand last gen, and as a result, Sony plummeted from the absolute forefront of the home console industry to the back of the pack from the most part, on top of blowing all the revenue earned by the PS2 and then some.

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
I hate to burst the hipster bubble here, but the arcade build of Tekken 7 is essentially doing that, within the arcade environment, you don't even have to care about "what's the most feasible max settings a PC user would be able to run", and well; not really a decisive difference.
These kinds of things obviously differ from developer to developer. I don't know anything about Tekken or its developer but if that screenshot is supposed to be what the PC version looks like, then they're not really doing a good job using what's in front of them. I like to imagine NRS would do a better job in this scenario.

Also, I know about the Neo Geo. My dad used to tell stories about that thing for years.

Last edited: