What's new

MI REO wins the TCW Qualifier for Mortal Kombat X at Paradise Found!

lslick

Stole this pic from Doombawkz :P
@Pig Of The Hut, ps4 pads are already banned at EVO anyway so there is no issue there. We're using them at Toryuken in a few weeks so we'll see how that goes.

I had an idea when I was up in the lab in the wee hours. What if two controllers were assigned to each station so that all people would have to do is plug in their Legacy sticks and go? Then the only worries are remembering to change them out every 5 hours for recharging on people walking off with them. There are ways to charge the controllers without de-syncing them (ie: plug them into a laptop) that could be looked at as well.

I love the fact that I can still use my HitBox for MK but I think we all gotta remember that gaming isn't a cheap hobby, stop being cheap bastards and upgrade. Myself included.
You sure that ps4 wireless pads are banned cause I'm looking at the rules now and it states:
  • PlayStation 4 Dual Shock controllers are allowed, but must remain at the pool stations during tournament play.
*Taken directly from this link here: http://evo.shoryuken.com/additional-rules/

MKX says hi.
does quan chi just have 50/50s? stop it lol. He has solid zoning and he has footsies as well. Add to that his gdlk d2 for an AA and u got urself a good character. Also his bat has quick cooldown, take away all those things and just give him a 50/50 and he sucks just like mk9, would be another one trick pony. People think mkx is "Run up and do 50/50s" lmao smh.

coolwhip

Noob
does quan chi just have 50/50s? stop it lol. He has solid zoning and he has footsies as well. Add to that his gdlk d2 for an AA and u got urself a good character. Also his bat has quick cooldown, take away all those things and just give him a 50/50 and he sucks just like mk9, would be another one trick pony. People think mkx is "Run up and do 50/50s" lmao smh.
Dude, nobody in MKX ONLY has a 50/50. That's what makes 50/50's in this game so good. You're basically proving my point.

It's not like Scorpion in MK9 where he was garbage outside of his (very punishable) vortex, or even Killer Frost in Injustice. You said it yourself, characters like Quan, Erron, etc... have great tools in addition to overwhelming 50/50's.

MKX is not "run up and 50/50." Never said that so please don't make assumptions. But this denial about how good 50/50's are in this game (not by you, I don't think, since I'm sure an intelligent player like yourself understands how good they are in the context of all the other tools), is baffling.

REO's thread asked if a character needed a 50/50 to be good. Obviously, in general, no he doesn't, even in a 50/50 heavy game (see Aquaman in Injustice). But it happens that most top tier characters in this game have overwhelming tools which include 50/50's. I'm not saying it's good or bad. I'm saying that's what it is. I'm not sure why this is somehow rustling people's jimmies.

So bringing up Scorpion in MK9 is extremely irrelevant to this conversation. Keep in mind, 50/50's in this game, in general, are not nearly as punishable as MK9 Scorpion so I don't see the analogy at all. I know you're fed up with the complains but that doesn't mean we can't point out the obvious.

To be clear, I was NOT complaining about 50/50's when I made that post earlier in this thread. I'm just pointing out the irony of the player who made that thread using 50/50 heavy characters and selling the community bills.

Dude, nobody in MKX ONLY has a 50/50. That's what makes 50/50's in this game so good. You're basically proving my point.

It's not like Scorpion in MK9 where he was garbage outside of his (very punishable) vortex, or even Killer Frost in Injustice. You said it yourself, characters like Quan, Erron, etc... have great tools in addition to overwhelming 50/50's.

MKX is not "run up and 50/50." Never said that so please don't make assumptions. But this denial about how good 50/50's are in this game (not by you, I don't think, since I'm sure an intelligent player like yourself understands how good they are in the context of all the other tools), is baffling.

REO's thread asked if a character needed a 50/50 to be good. Obviously, in general, no he doesn't, even in a 50/50 heavy game (see Aquaman in Injustice). But it happens that most top tier characters in this game have overwhelming tools which include 50/50's. I'm not saying it's good or bad. I'm saying that's what it is. I'm not sure why this is somehow rustling people's jimmies.

So bringing up Scorpion in MK9 is extremely irrelevant to this conversation. Keep in mind, 50/50's in this game, in general, are not nearly as punishable as MK9 Scorpion so I don't see the analogy at all. I know you're fed up with the complains but that doesn't mean we can't point out the obvious.

To be clear, I was NOT complaining about 50/50's when I made that post earlier in this thread. I'm just pointing out the irony of the player who made that thread using 50/50 heavy characters and selling the community bills.
Umm scorpion point makes perfect sense lmao, whether u get it or not is not my problem tbh. Second thing, people still dnt even utilize delayed wakeup or backdashes nearly as much as they should, so when i hear the complaints about the 50/50s (which all fighting games have anyways haha) when there are good ways to escape them, i just smh and wonder if people even try different things out or do they just jump straight to the whining. Also 50/50s are only going to work with other good tools as support, otherwise they would be alot more irrelevant. But people seem to look past that and go with "oh these mixups are too good". Also saying someone's point is "irrelevant" means nothing because that is ur speculation on my point. I haven't seen much denial on how good 50/50s are tbh, dnt know where u are getting that from.

People quick to say "oh that point makes no sense or is irrelevant" like they can judge what points are legit or not lmao. That stuff needs to stop. I can do the exact same thing.

coolwhip

Noob
Umm scorpion point makes perfect sense lmao, whether u get it or not is not my problem tbh. Second thing, people still dnt even utilize delayed wakeup or backdashes nearly as much as they should, so when i hear the complaints about the 50/50s (which all fighting games have anyways haha) when there are good ways to escape them, i just smh and wonder if people even try different things out or do they just jump straight to the whining. Also 50/50s are only going to work with other good tools as support, otherwise they would be alot more irrelevant. But people seem to look past that and go with "oh these mixups are too good". Also saying someone's point is "irrelevant" means nothing because that is ur speculation on my point. I haven't seen much denial on how good 50/50s are tbh, dnt know where u are getting that from.
The thread I made fun of downplays the importance of 50/50's in this game, so that answers the last part of your paragraph.

The Scorpion MK9 point is irrelevant because we're talking about 50/50's in MKX. By definition, it's irrelevant. If we're talking about 50/50's in fighting games in general, then yeah sure, MK9 Scorpion is an example of how 50/50's don't automatically make a character good.

Obviously, nobody is playing this game at a super high level yet and it will evolve. With that, people's neutral games will improve and the meta won't boil down to "run and 50/50." None of that means they're not an extremely important tool to have in this game, which is the point I'm making. Nothing more, nothing less. People will discover ways to defend against them based on match-ups, characters, etc... and the game will evolve and we'll see high level play as we saw in Injustice. I don't think anyone with reason would deny that.

As far as characters needing other tools, of course, and they mostly have them.

Anyway, I really don't know what you're taking issue with. My comment was a tongue-in-cheek dig at a thread that was made claiming you don't need a 50/50 to be a great character in MKX (which might be true), but then the same person playing nothing characters with 50/50's. That's it. Don't read too much into it.

The thread I made fun of downplays the importance of 50/50's in this game, so that answers the last part of your paragraph.

The Scorpion MK9 point is irrelevant because we're talking about 50/50's in MKX. By definition, it's irrelevant. If we're talking about 50/50's in fighting games in general, then yeah sure, MK9 Scorpion is an example of how 50/50's don't automatically make a character good.

Obviously, nobody is playing this game at a super high level yet and it will evolve. With that, people's neutral games will improve and the meta won't boil down to "run and 50/50." None of that means they're not an extremely important tool to have in this game, which is the point I'm making. Nothing more, nothing less. People will discover ways to defend against them based on match-ups, characters, etc... and the game will evolve and we'll see high level play as we saw in Injustice. I don't think anyone with reason would deny that.

As far as characters needing other tools, of course, and they mostly have them.

Anyway, I really don't know what you're taking issue with. My comment was a tongue-in-cheek dig at a thread that was made claiming you don't need a 50/50 to be a great character in MKX (which might be true), but then the same person playing nothing characters with 50/50's. That's it. Don't read too much into it.
How does that thread downplay 50/50s? It is literally saying that 50/50s aren't needed for a good character. Imagine if ninjutsu scorpions sword hits were both neutral on block? would instantly be top tier and keep people at bay. We got people saying kenshi is low tier trash because he can't mix you up like others can and etc. That is my issue. Everyone knows 50/50s are good in this game, REO was just saying that they aren't needed and they really aren't because there are other things that can make a character just as deadly or even more deadly. I know what irony u are pointing out but those same 50/50s REO is using he has other tools that back them up. REO would not be using quan or KJ if they had horrible tools outside of their 50/50s.

coolwhip

Noob
How does that thread downplay 50/50s? It is literally saying that 50/50s aren't needed for a good character. Imagine if ninjutsu scorpions sword hits were both neutral on block? would instantly be top tier and keep people at bay. We got people saying kenshi is low tier trash because he can't mix you up like others can and etc. That is my issue. Everyone knows 50/50s are good in this game, REO was just saying that they aren't needed and they really aren't because there are other things that can make a character just as deadly or even more deadly. I know what irony u are pointing out but those same 50/50s REO is using he has other tools that back them up. REO would not be using quan or KJ if they had horrible tools outside of their 50/50s.
OK but right now, how many characters do we have that are just as deadly or even more deadly that DON'T have 50/50's? That's what I'm getting at. Yes, I'm well aware that hypothetically, even in this game, a character can be great without 50/50's. That goes without saying. But my question to you is, how many absolute top tier characters in this game (or at least characters that we think are top tier 3 weeks into the game) don't have 50/50's?

THANK YOU FOR YOUTUBE PLAYLISTS!!!!

I can download the entire playlist at work and watch them - free of data charges - on the train on the way home.

Thank you!!!!

I know the game is still early, but I want to know if people think kenshi would be just as good or close to quan if quan chi lost either his low or his overhead. Imo the thing is 50/50's are really dominant and usually only needs just a few solid tools to back them up and you have the formula for a good character. What if said 50/50 character already has better zoning than other zoning characters or already has better footsies than characters who rely on footsies or happen to have better anti zoning than anti zoning characters on top of their 50/50.

We probably haven't explored much of this game, but if a 50/50 isn't punishable then it will stay unpunishable unless there are magically secret moves in the game we don't know about. My point is there are a lot of things that need to be found in this game because it is new, but some things won't change.

OK but right now, how many characters do we have that are just as deadly or even more deadly that DON'T have 50/50's? That's what I'm getting at. Yes, I'm well aware that hypothetically, even in this game, a character can be great without 50/50's. That goes without saying. But my question to you is, how many absolute top tier characters in this game (or at least characters that we think are top tier 3 weeks into the game) don't have 50/50's?
most 50/50s arent even safe to start with tbh haha. Umm let's see, lao doesn't have a strong 50/50 game and he could be number one in the game haha. Also ur point doesn't make sense because everyone in this game for the most part has a OH and Low so i dnt even need to answer that question, it is more on whose mixups are more rewarding (which is like all fighting games lol). So please enlighten me on this point "u need 50/50s to be top tier in this game" when pretty much everyone has a form of them for the most part (some better than others). Let's talk about that.

Imo it's not just the 50/50's. 50/50's if safe are probably as good as something will get in fighting games. The thing that makes me worry is that these characters have tools on top of their 50/50's that are even better than the tools other characters were supposed to excel in.

most 50/50s arent even safe to start with tbh haha. Umm let's see, lao doesn't have a strong 50/50 game and he could be number one in the game haha. Also ur point doesn't make sense because everyone in this game for the most part has a OH and Low so i dnt even need to answer that question, it is more on whose mixups are more rewarding (which is like all fighting games lol). So please enlighten me on this point "u need 50/50s to be top tier in this game" when pretty much everyone has a form of them for the most part (some better than others). Let's talk about that.
Lao possibly being the best is the biggest bill that is being sold around here. I hope I am wrong and will gladly eat my words if he happens to be top 5 or something. But the only argument people have for lao being the best is spin gg's.

Lao possibly being the best is the biggest bill that is being sold around here. I hope I am wrong and will gladly eat my words if he happens to be top 5 or something. But the only argument people have for lao being the best is spin gg's.
that is for sure not the reason some think he is number one lmao, it should be easy to see. Also i know as of right now, there is not a single matchup he cant handle (sounds like debatable number one to me but i could be wrong of course).

coolwhip

Noob
So please enlighten me on this point "u need 50/50s to be top tier in this game" when pretty much everyone has a form of them for the most part (some better than others). Let's talk about that.
OK, pretty much everyone has a form of them and those who don't happen not to be particularly great characters. What does that tell you?

most 50/50s arent even safe to start with tbh haha. Umm let's see, lao doesn't have a strong 50/50 game and he could be number one in the game haha.
Yeah, we're done here.

OK, pretty much everyone has a form of them and those who don't happen not to be particularly great characters. What does that tell you?

Yeah, we're done here.
umm u disregarding my lao point shows u obviously dnt know what u are talking about lmao. If u dnt think he is one of the best characters in this game, then i dnt know what to tell you tbh. U brought up an irrelevant point about "who is top tier and doesn't have 50/50s" and i said almost everyone has one so that makes no sense lol. You refuse to acknowledge the points i am making and that is fine, dnt get butthurt about it.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I know the reason I lost wasn't 50/50's. Others maybe, I like to think the game is more read based than guessing based.

that is for sure not the reason some think he is number one lmao, it should be easy to see. Also i know as of right now, there is not a single matchup he cant handle (sounds like debatable number one to me but i could be wrong of course).
If it was so obvious you should be able to say more than lol that 5 frame spin bro.

coolwhip

Noob
I know the reason I lost wasn't 50/50's. Others maybe, I like to think the game is more read based than guessing based.
To be clear, and avoid made up narratives: Nobody's saying 50/50's are scrubby, or that luck is involved in who wins, or that the game is random, or whatever Injustice talking points people threw around.

I'm just saying 50/50's are strong. Have nothing to do with why you or anyone else lost.