What's new

MI REO wins the TCW Qualifier for Mortal Kombat X at Paradise Found!

haketh

Noob
So does removing the battery on a DS4 basically make it a wired controller? I'm a pad player, and it sucks to not be able to use a wireless controller because people can't utilize a simple desync station. I even considered bringing my own ps4 to ensure I and others around me could desync. I read somewhere that the DS4 doesn't transmit data over the usb cord, but if that works I would just buy a new pad and take the battery out.
The cord still transmits data when you remove the battery, removed mine during NWM

vicious1024

Does it matter?
Historically, local tournaments and many major events banned wireless controllers because of this very reason. Why is it that as we transition to current generation platforms, we re-allowed wireless controllers in a tournament setting?

NRS, Microsoft or Sony aren't really to blame when we knew this wouldn't work in the first place.

As for legacy controllers on PS4, I've read that the reason there are issues is because the driver that was coded for Lab Zero isn't officially supported by Sony.

Have Skullgirls players experienced the same problems? Is this something that NRS can fix, or are legacy controllers facing a potential ban as well?

Edit: Despite controller issues, the tournament had really good matches. CDjr and REO looking really strong.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Historically, local tournaments and many major events banned wireless controllers because of this very reason. Why is it that as we transition to current generation platforms, we re-allowed wireless controllers in a tournament setting?

NRS, Microsoft or Sony aren't really to blame when we knew this wouldn't work in the first place.

As for legacy controllers on PS4, I've read that the reason there are issues is because the driver that was coded for Lab Zero isn't officially supported by Sony.

Have Skullgirls players experienced the same problems? Is this something that NRS can fix, or are legacy controllers facing a potential ban as well?

Edit: Despite controller issues, the tournament had really good matches. CDjr and REO looking really strong.
Skullgirls is not out on PS4 so we don't know how it works yet. Though Mike Z, the Skullgirs, developer has said it will not work like MKX because they don't sync each player to a unique profile.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
Skullgirls is not out on PS4 so we don't know how it works yet. Though Mike Z, the Skullgirs, developer has said it will not work like MKX because they don't sync each player to a unique profile.
I believe MK Z has shown how it works on PS4 on his streams.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
I believe MK Z has shown how it works on PS4 on his streams.
That was beta. He has not got the game certified by Sony yet, which may make them change the way the driver is implented. This was implied by one of the MKX developers:

i'm assuming cause they only support 1 profile? it also isn't out yet for PS4 so that hasn't passed TRC certification yet.
http://testyourmight.com/threads/mkx-ps3-stick-problem.49874/#post-1655158

Justice

Noob
I don't think banning PS3 sticks is needed, like Arturo said just get hubs & leave them behind the setups out of reach, those pads are used only to sync for people to use their PS3 sticks. I'd rather not see people have to drop an extra $100+ when they don't have to.

Not everyone can go that route.
I didn't mean right this second. But let's face it, this is the first generation of hardware where this has even been an issue. Either you paid a couple of bucks for a mod or paid a couple of more bucks to upgrade or you said fuck it. This is the first generation where you don't have a reliable mod to upgrade to and a stick upgrade is prohibitively expensive with extremely limited selection.

I applaud NRS and any other dev that's willing to look out for the little guy especially since they don't have to (and historically haven't bothered). As I said in the beginning of the part you quoted I am so glad I don't have to drop another $200+ on another HitBox just yet. But I know that time will come eventually. I will have to decide at some point whether or not that purchase is worth my hard-earned dollars.

Good stuff to all that attended, great event guys. I wanted to watch more of it but didn't even know it was on till later in the tournament :p, but there are archives tho.

Reactions: REO

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Have any TOs tried using a Bluetooth jammer either in the venue or close to a console? Is it possible to remove the Bluetooth module on the PS4? I know MLG modded their PS3s like that; not sure if PS4 is able to be modded that way.

Edit: pretty sure a Bluetooth jammer would block all 2.4GHz wifi, too; not sure if that would be acceptable for everyone.

Icy Black Deep

Still training...
Just get hubs & leave them behind the setups out of reach, those pads are used only to sync for people to use their PS3 sticks. I'd rather not see people have to drop an extra $100+ when they don't have to.
I'm a bit partial to this myself, but TOs aren't eager to spend money to get 2 pads for every station and are worried about them walking off too.

Have any TOs tried using a Bluetooth jammer either in the venue or close to a console? Is it possible to remove the Bluetooth module on the PS4?
It wouldn't work. The PS4 security is done over Bluetooth. That's why PS360+ times out after 8 minutes--it doesn't have a Bluetooth connection to validate over.

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
What i do not understand. How the fuck are people pushing the PS Button. I put my controller on my bag after setting it to the dysnc station and not once did the home button get pushed. So idk what the fuck people are doing with their pads to do this.
Also technically i fucked up once. But it didnt matter cause there no match at the station. I did everything correctly and for some reason the controller didnt want to connect to the dycnc station.

Shit is going to happen at tournaments with the way next gens are set up. People are going to mess up. Things are going to glitch. It's just how things are. The only way around it is to make rules that absolutely guarantee it won't happen and/or make penalties that are severe enough to ensure people will be more careful, which sucks because both will slow down tournaments and increase the barrier to entry for people that don't closely follow the scene. It's unfortunate that next gen consoles didn't consider their hardcore bases when they were making these systems. Hope to see wired only controllers in the future. Would do a lot of good.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!

Shit is going to happen at tournaments with the way next gens are set up. People are going to mess up. Things are going to glitch. It's just how things are. The only way around it is to make rules that absolutely guarantee it won't happen and/or make penalties that are severe enough to ensure people will be more careful, which sucks because both will slow down tournaments and increase the barrier to entry for people that don't closely follow the scene. It's unfortunate that next gen consoles didn't consider their hardcore bases when they were making these systems. Hope to see wired only controllers in the future. Would do a lot of good.
My fuck up was weird. I turned off the controller on the console ii played on. I went to log it onto the dyscync station and for some reason the cable did not register so when i hit the home button it reconnected to the console i played on.