What's new

MI REO wins the TCW Qualifier for Mortal Kombat X at Paradise Found!

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
As we reach the halfway point for the third season of New York's Monster Island tournament series, the Double Tree hotel is uprooted as consequence of a 56-man brawl, courtesy of the season's first Mortal Kombat X tournament event, Paradise Found! A well-named event indeed, as players old and new would come together to battle it out in a new realm of MK gameplay, and even as darkness blanketed the venue the kombat saw no signs of stopping.

It is official, ladies and gentlemen. A new chapter in New York's Mortal Kombat legacy has been written, and there are many more to come. MI REO's victory marks the first of many triumphs to come as we enter the second month of MKX's lifespan. Congratulations to REO, and major respects go out to everyone else who entertained the stream with their competitive fury!

Of special note, Paradise Found doubled as a qualifier for a tournament called The Common Wealth, set to occur in Norfolk, VA on June 6th. With REO's victory, he is guaranteed his shot at a $4,000 pot bonus that will be up for grabs! Additionally, @A F0xy Grampa will be crossing over all the way from England to make his MKX debut in America. These developments promise how groundbreaking the hype levels shall become!

EDIT: According to @RapZiLLa54 this was also a qualifier for this year's East Coast Throwdown! This means @R.E.O. will be allowed to forgo the entry fee for his participation!

As an addendum to his victory, Paradise Found credits MI REO with a hundred-dollar pot bonus. Well done, sir!

For more information on The Common Wealth, we advise you to check out this thread linked here.

MI REO Paradise Found Grand Finals.png
Paradise Found saw four 14-man pools before the Top 8 would come to be. Courtesy of TS Sabin, matches from the pools and finals have been captured for display, so if you missed out on the live stream you need not worry. Below are the links to two archives, with the first containing the majority of the pools along with a slight amount of the Top 8, while the second has the rest of the Top 8 recorded.

Ninja Edit (by Sabin) - Added the Youtube playlist as well. Currently updating:

Match archives (Part A) - http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby/v/4625290

Match archives (Part B) - http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby/v/4631308

Additionally, the Challonge brackets are up for review.

Pool 1 bracket - http://kombatnetwork.challonge.com/mito_pf_mkx_p1

Pool 2 bracket - http://kombatnetwork.challonge.com/mito_pf_mkx_p2

Pool 3 bracket - http://kombatnetwork.challonge.com/mito_pf_mkx_p3

Pool 4 bracket - http://kombatnetwork.challonge.com/mito_pf_mkx_p4

Top 8 - http://kombatnetwork.challonge.com/mito_pf_mkx_top8

A photo of the Top 3 and @Ray Riazy are contained in a spoiler tag below, provided by Rapzilla.
Paradise Found Top 3.jpg

Ray Riazy.jpg

And finally, for those curious on the exact results for the Top 8, a match log is on display at the bottom of this post. Check it out!

We would like to acknowledge and thank the sponsors who contributed to the organization of this event. That includes:​
  • Kombat Network
  • RiteAV
  • Kick-Punch-Block
  • xfireGamingLI
  • Matamian Games
  • iQHQ
And of course, the staff team responsible for the creation of the Monster Island series deserves a shout-out. Each tournament season they bring to us has carried its dose of competitive excitement that never fails to please the NRS scene, and so we can only be certain that the future is a bright one! Please continue to follow this website for more information on their events as they come to be.

Note: If any of the match log below is incorrect, please notify the editor immediately.​

Top 8 Match Log

Winner's Semifinals

Zyphox (Takeda): 2 vs. VGP Tom Brady (Sub-Zero): 1

MI REO (Quan Chi): 2 vs. TheSteamCo CDjr (Jax): 0

Winner's Finals

MI REO (Quan Chi): 3 vs. Zyphox (Takeda): 0

Loser's Bracket

Ray Riazy (Liu Kang): 2 vs. RM PTH Mr Aquaman (Kotal Kahn): 1

RM Cossner (Reptile): 1 vs. G4S ClaudeVonStroke (Johnny Cage): 2

Loser's Quarterfinals

Ray Riazy (Liu Kang): 1 vs. VGP Tom Brady (Sub-Zero): 2

G4S ClaudeVonStroke (Johnny Cage): 0 vs. TheSteamCo CDjr (Jax): 2

Loser's Semifinals

TheSteamCO CDjr (Jax): 2 vs. VGP Tom Brady (Sub-Zero): 1

Loser's Finals

Zyphox (Takeda): 1 vs. TheSteamCo CDJr (Jax): 3

Grand Finals

MI REO (Quan Chi): 3 vs. The SteamCo CD Jr (Jax): 1

Last edited:

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Hopefully on the next Armory I can take 5 mins to set this community straight about how to properly DESYNC your freaking controllers and imo what every TO standard should be to prevent issues that occurred during this tourney. Ive never really felt "Sorry" for @CD jr until last night.

HOWEVER Great matches and really cool upsets from @Zyphox and @Ray Riazy during the night. Also seems like the Quan Wagon grew a little bit bigger last night. Solid play from everyone and congrats to @R.E.O. for winning and looking extremely strong heading into main tourney season to rival Sonic Fox. Should be hype upcoming 2-3 months

Great job to @Sabin for holding it down and presenting a top notch stream featuring a double box, he does so much and delivers w great results.

Last edited:

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Hopefully on the next Armory I can take 5 mins to set this community straight about how to properly DESYNC your freaking controllers and imo what every TO standard should be to prevent issues that occurred during this tourney. Ive never really felt "Sorry" for @CD jr until last night.

HOWEVER Great matches and really cool upsets from @Zyphox and @Ray Riazy during the night. Also seems like the Quan Wagon grew a little bit bigger last night. Solid play from everyone and congrats to @R.E.O. for winning and looking extremely strong heading into main tourney season to rival Sonic Fox. Should be hype upcoming 2-3 months

Great job to @Sabin for holding it down and presenting a top notch stream featuring a double box, he does so much and delivers w great results.
We made it SUPER clear on how to desync shit, i made sure to keep an eye on people to tell them to desync and everything. I am not dealing with this shit anymore solely on the community's lack of following a simple rule. Way too many issues occured and its leading us to ban both ps4 wireless* pads, and ps3 sticks.

I understand how ps3 sticks assign, but people don't and no matter how many times you tell them, they still get confused. Numerous times i had to assign controllers and shit like that.

*pads without the battery is ok. I'll offer a cheap service to take out your battery for you if you don't have it ready at the event.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
We made it SUPER clear on how to desync shit, i made sure to keep an eye on people to tell them to desync and everything. I am not dealing with this shit anymore solely on the community's lack of following a simple rule. Way too many issues occured and its leading us to ban both ps4 wireless* pads, and ps3 sticks.

I understand how ps3 sticks assign, but people don't and no matter how many times you tell them, they still get confused. Numerous times i had to assign controllers and shit like that.

*pads without the battery is ok. I'll offer a cheap service to take out your battery for you if you don't have it ready at the event.
I feel like this should be a front page thread. Let everyone know!

Pig Of The Hut

Who were the culprits ? lol

That sucks man, Do you agree with me that for Majors locals and EVO should have a rule that states "All wireless pads are banned. You must use a PS4 pad with no battery or a stick/pad that is purely wireless"?

Wetdoba

All too easy...
So when are we going to stop ignoring these ps4 problems and actually talk about them? Every single event Ive seen so far had multiple matches thrown because of the console. Its not tournament friendly. Period. We really dont have to use it just because of SF we are our own community and should decide whats best for us and this is clearly not working on ps4

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Who were the culprits ? lol

That sucks man, Do you agree with me that for Majors locals and EVO should have a rule that states "All wireless pads are banned. You must use a PS4 pad with no battery or a stick/pad that is purely wireless"?
Yes, all controllers with Batteries should be banned no matter what. If I am winning a match and someones controller messes my match up I would be a little angry.

Or if they do allow it and it happens you get DQ'd, not just sent to losers that should send the message real quick.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Yes, all controllers with Batteries should be banned no matter what. If I am winning a match and someones controller messes my match up I would be a little angry.

Or if they do allow it and it happens you get DQ'd, not just sent to losers that should send the message real quick.
What happens when the culprit is already ellminated from the tournament?

Answer is ban ps3 sticks and wireless pads. I want it to be banned. Last night was embarrassing. And i feel terrible for cdjr. The thing is you mention that to players and they say no no no you cant do that till a few months from now otherwise you alienate them from competing. So its a lose lose that doesnt have to be.

Pig Of The Hut

Answer is ban ps3 sticks and wireless pads. I want it to be banned. Last night was embarrassing. And i feel terrible for cdjr. The thing is you mention that to players and they say no no no you cant do that till a few months from now otherwise you alienate them from competing. So its a lose lose that doesnt have to be.
I agree

I think they should be banned completely to 100% remove the problem

HoneyBee

Flash God Lord

From my understanding, there's no way to desync a controller from a PS4 without syncing it to a new PS4. When you turn off your PS4 controller, that doesn't mean it's desynced, it's just turned off. When people press the PS Home button by accident, it causes the issue of the home screen popping up. The PS4 home button seems a lot more sensitive than the PS3 button was, so when a controller is tossed in a bag or whatever, it can easily cause the home screen to pop up on whatever PS4 system it was previously synced to.

Unless there's an option to actually desync a controller and therefore have the controller synced to NO PS4 at all, this issue will be present at all tournaments where wireless PS4 pads are allowed.

Maybe I'm wrong and there is an option to desync a controller from all PS4 systems, in which case, I would like to know how to do that.

Pig Of The Hut

From my understanding, there's no way to desync a controller from a PS4 without syncing it to a new PS4. When you turn off your PS4 controller, that doesn't mean it's desynced, it's just turned off. When people press the PS Home button by accident, it causes the issue of the home screen popping up. The PS4 home button seems a lot more sensitive than the PS3 button was, so when a controller is tossed in a bag or whatever, it can easily cause the home screen to pop up on whatever PS4 system it was previously synced to.

Unless there's an option to actually desync a controller and therefore have the controller synced to NO PS4 at all, this issue will be present at all tournaments where wireless PS4 pads are allowed.

Maybe I'm wrong and there is an option to desync a controller from all PS4 systems, in which case, I would like to know how to do that.
Jesus, that does make it even worse and explains how this is happening more and more

It's pretty obvious wireless pads should be banned 100% until a full proof answer is provided. I hate calling for bans but EVO will be a trainwreck not just for us but for all games if this isn't thought about prior to.

The real answer is etokki or inpin converters being able to be used on ps4, Im paying $120 for my converter and i feel that is way unreasonable to ask everyone to do so as well