What's new

General/Other - Kano Kano General Discussion Thread

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Tele characters hurt kano. Tele on a good read to punish knives(not reaction, too fast). Blade slice and ex is safe-ishat -8. He loses his turn but can armor or backdash to make you wiff. And possibly punish you. If you rush him down it has to be with legit pressure. Nothing - you try to poke him again. With a life lead you can zonr him outm depending who you are.
Thanks for the answers. So against Kano it's basically about making reads. Gotta figure out how to deal with his corner though, a Cybernetic once absolutely bodied me with godlike footsies and guaranteed win once he got me in the corner.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I don't personally play Kano so I'd like to ask some of the Kanos to help me out with countering him. In general I just get frame trapped for the entire game and can only get a combo if the Kano is not currently frame trapping me. I play Displacer Raiden and Ninjutsu Scorpion.

Some specific things: How - is Blade Slice and its EX version? Can't go to the lab at the moment to check it but Blade Slice seems to be safe or at least nearly so. Also, what is my general gameplan (alright this is very not specific) against Kano? Rushdown seems to be a very bad idea and Kano balls make sure he gets in my face again if I play a bit of keepaway/footsies.
Kano....frame trapping? What variation(s) specifically are bothering you?

Blade Slice as in DB1 in Cutthroat? Both versions are -8 which you can punish with Raiden for full combo every time. Against Kano as Raiden you'll want to keep the pressure going, don't let him zone and build meter and don't give him the space he needs to play footsies with you. The closer you are the better because frankly he will most likely outfootsie you (if you're Raiden) if you're not right next to him mixing him up. Kano ball is -14 so if you block them punish. Frankly I think Displacer Raiden and Ninjutsu Scorpion are good choices against Kano because they have teleports, and Ninjutsu's good since it can keep up in footsies too. I personally don't like Ermac, Scorpion, Liu Kang and I guess Mileena a little too.

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
Thanks for the answers. So against Kano it's basically about making reads. Gotta figure out how to deal with his corner though, a Cybernetic once absolutely bodied me with godlike footsies and guaranteed win once he got me in the corner.
Cyber smoked you in the corner? I alot of his pressure can be poked. Unless hes doing alot if ex knives. If you have some vid links of youplaying , i would gladly point out what you can do.

DDutchguy

Cyber smoked you in the corner? I alot of his pressure can be poked. Unless hes doing alot if ex knives. If you have some vid links of youplaying , i would gladly point out what you can do.
Was weeks ago, not sure if I can still find it. I'll have to find a good PC Kano to check what I'm doing wrong.

DDutchguy

Kano....frame trapping? What variation(s) specifically are bothering you?

Blade Slice as in DB1 in Cutthroat? Both versions are -8 which you can punish with Raiden for full combo every time. Against Kano as Raiden you'll want to keep the pressure going, don't let him zone and build meter and don't give him the space he needs to play footsies with you. The closer you are the better because frankly he will most likely outfootsie you (if you're Raiden) if you're not right next to him mixing him up. Kano ball is -14 so if you block them punish. Frankly I think Displacer Raiden and Ninjutsu Scorpion are good choices against Kano because they have teleports, and Ninjutsu's good since it can keep up in footsies too. I personally don't like Ermac, Scorpion, Liu Kang and I guess Mileena a little too.
I play on PC and there really aren't many good Kanos, though I have fought two that seemed to play Kano at a pretty high level. Cybernetic is the variation I struggle with the most, could be because I have only faced a good Commando twice and most Cutthroats don't know what they're doing. The thing with Cybernetic is that he seems to control the match and forces me to make mistakes (such as teleports which he can full combo punish and run-ins that get catched with footsies). His corner game was also a bit odd, since he basically kept me stuck in a 'loop', meaning he did 32 or B32 (both of which are +2 I believe) into either 11 or another B32 which he could hit confirm. With 11 I seem to have an 8-frame window to do something and since Raiden's fastest normal is F1 (6 frames), I have 2 frames for the input. Probably should've mentioned that I play online, makes it a pain to deal with Kano's stuff.

I could've sworn EX slice was +, does it just have very little blockstun? The timing for poking out of Blade Slice - d4 is quite weird.

In terms of frame traps, I guess it's mostly that they feel like such. When I think it's my turn I just get hit out of my move about half the time. Issue on my part, I'll have to lab a bit and see what the blockstun is on some of Kano's moves to figure out the timing on pokes and the like.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
B31 is +1 and 32 is -1. B13 is -1 and 112 is -2. Kano is more or less safe on most his stuff but he has very few plus frame moves. You're probably reacting too late and not anticipating the stagger.

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
I play on PC and there really aren't many good Kanos, though I have fought two that seemed to play Kano at a pretty high level. Cybernetic is the variation I struggle with the most, could be because I have only faced a good Commando twice and most Cutthroats don't know what they're doing. The thing with Cybernetic is that he seems to control the match and forces me to make mistakes (such as teleports which he can full combo punish and run-ins that get catched with footsies). His corner game was also a bit odd, since he basically kept me stuck in a 'loop', meaning he did 32 or B32 (both of which are +2 I believe) into either 11 or another B32 which he could hit confirm. With 11 I seem to have an 8-frame window to do something and since Raiden's fastest normal is F1 (6 frames), I have 2 frames for the input. Probably should've mentioned that I play online, makes it a pain to deal with Kano's stuff.

I could've sworn EX slice was +, does it just have very little blockstun? The timing for poking out of Blade Slice - d4 is quite weird.

In terms of frame traps, I guess it's mostly that they feel like such. When I think it's my turn I just get hit out of my move about half the time. Issue on my part, I'll have to lab a bit and see what the blockstun is on some of Kano's moves to figure out the timing on pokes and the like.
Def haha. Alot of his stuff is -2, -1. B32 (what he said^ is +1) can only get him a poke. He can go for anything else but can be poked out of. What it sounds like is happening is that hes ending in -1 or -2 and going for like a poke or s1 (8frames) and your trying to go for like a move Thats 10 frames or slower. You can f1 with raiden but he can poke you out if that cause its a high.you have to poke him back to get your turn

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano

ex slice and regular have the same frames.

Youphemism

Yeah well the first mistake is playing online lol. Offline you'll have a much easier time. Cybernetic does have good space control tools, especially with Raiden's neutral game suffering as he doesn't have great fast advancing mids, and knives are going to annoy you but they only do 1% chip and if you walk and block you've already covered half the matchup and ate like 3-4% max in chip. He shouldn't be able to full combo punish teleports unless you're making it obvious that you're going to do them. 31 is -1, he doesn't have a B32 string but B31 is +1, 11 is 8 frames startup and B31 is 14 frames on startup.

EX slice is -8, not a lot of blockstun no.

Yeah Kano doesn't really have that much that's actually plus besides ex knives (and B31) in any variation.

Youphemism

I don't know if you guys knew this or not but Kung Lao's 11212 string tends to whiff on a blocking Kano :eek: As Kano:
Stand blocking 11212: The 5th hit of 11212 whiffs on both stances
Crouch blocking: Seems to be 50/50 on whether the 4th hit or the 5th hit whiffs on both stances

Edit: Just tested it a little more and on occasion all 5 hits will hit but I can't replicate the situation that that happens in NotLikeThis

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I don't know if you guys knew this or not but Kung Lao's 11212 string tends to whiff on a blocking Kano :eek: As Kano:
Crouch blocking: Seems to be 50/50 on whether the 4th hit or the 5th hit whiffs on both stances

Edit: Just tested it a little more and on occasion all 5 hits will hit but I can't replicate the situation that that happens in NotLikeThis
Do you mean the 4 at the end of the string? or do you mean the last hit of the quick punches?

Youphemism

Ok so I've found one situation that's a bit consistent in making all 5 hits hit. After being hit by 11 all 5 hits of 11212 usually will connect on block. As in Lao does 11 on hit then 11212 on block.
Damn that's sweet then. So stand blocking makes it so he can next get the 4 out?
I don't get what you mean :confused:

Last edited:

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Ok so I've found one situation that's a bit consistent in making all 5 hits hit. After being hit by 11 all 5 hits of 11212 usually will connect on block. As in Lao does 11 on hit then 11212 on block.

I don't get what you mean :confused:
I may be incorrect, but IIRC if the last hit of 11212 whiffs then the 4 won't come out on block. Quite possibly talking shit though.

Youphemism

I may be incorrect, but IIRC if the last hit of 11212 whiffs then the 4 won't come out on block. Quite possibly talking shit though.
Nah that only happens with specials, not the ends of strings. So if you try to do 112124 on block and the second 2 whiffs then the 4 will still come out, but if you do 11212~spin for example and the second two whiffs then you won't get the spin.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Nah that only happens with specials, not the ends of strings. So if you try to do 112124 on block and the second 2 whiffs then the 4 will still come out, but if you do 11212~spin for example and the second two whiffs then you won't get the spin.
Yeah labbed it and I was wrong. It seems to make the last hit whiff that you can't be point blank. Trying to work out how to make the 4 whiff consistently as well.

Youphemism

Yeah labbed it and I was wrong. It seems to make the last hit whiff that you can't be point blank. Trying to work out how to make the 4 whiff consistently as well.
The last hit of 11212 or 112124? I didn't think 4 whiffed much if at all, I haven't been able to make it whiff yet. It's really just 11212 that I was looking at.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Surely that's pretty rare though?
Actually apon testing its not too rare. The spacing seems to be fairly consistent and if you block the quick punches low before the kick it will whiff.

Again it can't be point blank, so really with MU the KL should be able up see when it will whiff and just cut the string short.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.

you can parry last hit if you block the first hit at max range because it'll push you far enough.