What's new

General/Other - Kano Kano General Discussion Thread

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
You sure Commando isn't a better choice for Kung Lao? Maybe there's a reason the best Kano decided to play it over Cybernetic against DJT? Most of his strings are negative on block but safe, which opens up the opportunities to use his parries. It's easier to pick which one to use because Lao has no hugely threatening lows so after a string on block you have the threat of the 17% parry or more pressure or a tick throw or of course reading the poke and low parrying or blocking. He might not be landing as many full combos but parries and grabs add up quickly, never mind the fact it's free unbreakable damage if you're making the right reads. It can really slow Lao down.
Coach Steve at that time stated that he didn't like Cut Throat which is why I assume he didn't chose it over Commando.

Wouldn't you rather have low risk/high reward on your mixups than the other way around?

KitanawantstheD

CERTIFIED WANKER
Only reason why I would even consider playing commando playing against Kung Lao is the fact that he has to respect me and not jump all of over the place like a fuckin meth head. God I hate Kung Lao I hope nrs kills him off in the next game

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Only reason why I would even consider playing commando playing against Kung Lao is the fact that he has to respect me and not jump all of over the place like a fuckin meth head. God I hate Kung Lao I hope nrs kills him off in the next game
I just really want to say... I LOVE your username.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Interesting.

In my experience, I feel like Cutthroat goes even with Lao.

The footsie tools are about even, as is the damage output.

Lao has better mobility of course, but Cut has the safe 50/50 which helps.

Do you think Commando is 6-4 Lao?
Well I'm not necessarily suggesting that Commando beats Lao, I was just explaining that I don't think Commando is as bad of a choice as Phos was making it out to be. I would probably still pick Cutthroat or Cyber over Commando personally but that's just because I'm more comfortable with them.
Coach Steve at that time stated that he didn't like Cut Throat which is why I assume he didn't chose it over Commando.

Wouldn't you rather have low risk/high reward on your mixups than the other way around?
Yeah but I didn't say he picked it over Cutthroat, I said he picked it over Cybernetic which is the other one he plays.

Commando is high risk low reward? I mean I wouldn't say getting poked is that much of a loss compared to 16+% unbreakable damage but alright. I get you probably mean getting whiff punished for parrying with a B2 or B3 or something but that's why you wouldn't parry a lot, just enough to make them scared. I just think Commando is better at slowing Lao down which is important because he's a pretty mobile character is all. Commando still has good footsie tools for keeping Lao away from him, and you say damage isn't a talking point at high level so Commandos tools shouldn't be too much of a hindrance compared to Cyber and Cutthroat.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Well I'm not necessarily suggesting that Commando beats Lao, I was just explaining that I don't think Commando is as bad of a choice as Phos was making it out to be. I would probably still pick Cutthroat or Cyber over Commando personally but that's just because I'm more comfortable with them.

Yeah but I didn't say he picked it over Cutthroat, I said he picked it over Cybernetic which is the other one he plays.

Commando is high risk low reward? I mean I wouldn't say getting poked is that much of a loss compared to 16+% unbreakable damage but alright. I get you probably mean getting whiff punished for parrying with a B2 or B3 or something but that's why you wouldn't parry a lot, just enough to make them scared. I just think Commando is better at slowing Lao down which is important because he's a pretty mobile character is all. Commando still has good footsie tools for keeping Lao away from him, and you say damage isn't a talking point at high level so Commandos tools shouldn't be too much of a hindrance compared to Cyber and Cutthroat.
Oh right, I meant Commando properly isn't a better choice than CT. My bad.

Regarding the risk/reward, I mean trying a tick throw and getting ex spun or allowing KL to backdash, giving him the space that benefits him or than Kano. If you hit them with a parry, you could have hit them with an ex ball cancel, which carrys the same risk but yields much bigger reward, the only down side is that it requires meter but when it does 30% into CT's stupid knockdown game then it's worth that bar every time.

Safe 50/50's, insane corner carry, and improved footsie abilities will always trump 17% unbreakable damage for me.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Oh right, I meant Commando properly isn't a better choice than CT. My bad.

Regarding the risk/reward, I mean trying a tick throw and getting ex spun or allowing KL to backdash, giving him the space that benefits him or than Kano. If you hit them with a parry, you could have hit them with an ex ball cancel, which carrys the same risk but yields much bigger reward, the only down side is that it requires meter but when it does 30% into CT's stupid knockdown game then it's worth that bar every time.

Safe 50/50's, insane corner carry, and improved footsie abilities will always trump 17% unbreakable damage for me.
You think space benefits Lao more? I would say Kano's the one that has the space to zone since Lao wants to come to him and pressure. The thing is if you spend that bar for 30% you risk being broken at which point you're down a bar for getting maybe half a combo half the time, whereas parries carry roughly 17% unbreakable damage every time which adds up if you're smart about it. Lao doesn't have combo starting lows so if you high parry and he pokes you're not losing much. The only time you risk losing much is if he just doesn't hit you when you parry, but you just have to be smart and conservative with your parries and be as offensive as possible most of the time if you get the chance to be the one on offence.

Ok that is a HUGE generalization and you know it. Cutthroat is safe 50/50s, insane corner carry and improved footsie abilities but Commando is just 17% unbreakable damage? Come on now.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
What you're all not considering IMO is that commando is a variation that forces rush down/pressure characters to play your game. I'm not saying it instantly makes him the best vs those characters but forcing them to rethink their game plan is always good. Jax is a great example. They love their 11, d12 etc but with parries and reversal ex grabs they have to think about stopping their pressure at times or go for less staggers.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
You think space benefits Lao more? I would say Kano's the one that has the space to zone since Lao wants to come to him and pressure. The thing is if you spend that bar for 30% you risk being broken at which point you're down a bar for getting maybe half a combo half the time, whereas parries carry roughly 17% unbreakable damage every time which adds up if you're smart about it. Lao doesn't have combo starting lows so if you high parry and he pokes you're not losing much. The only time you risk losing much is if he just doesn't hit you when you parry, but you just have to be smart and conservative with your parries and be as offensive as possible most of the time if you get the chance to be the one on offence.

Ok that is a HUGE generalization and you know it. Cutthroat is safe 50/50s, insane corner carry and improved footsie abilities but Commando is just 17% unbreakable damage? Come on now.
That is what it boils down too. The thing that makes this variation its own is that he does little chunks of damage through these parrys and grabs, and suffers in the neutral game compared to his other two variations.

Look at it this way, which would rather his someone with: a 50/50 confirmed into launcher in CT or a commando grab in Commando?

Yesturady at TFC there was a guy Blue MVPplaying some solid Cutthroat Kano, but he probably lost offscreen and did not get out of pools or it was Top32/16.

8:16:00

http://www.twitch.tv/kombatnetwork/v/15674576
It was me. they had the names switch while also saying my name wrong on commentary. it was my fist tournament, got top 32 with all three variations in use baby. Lost to mikemetroid._. didn't know stunt double cage was free on knockdown when he has his shadows on. Im coming for top 8 next tournament i go to. Also kano is super legit. His variation cover all matchups one way or another.

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
It was me. they had the names switch while also saying my name wrong on commentary. it was my fist tournament, got top 32 with all three variations in use baby. Lost to mikemetroid._. didn't know stunt double cage was free on knockdown when he has his shadows on. Im coming for top 8 next tournament i go to. Also kano is super legit. His variation cover all matchups one way or another.
Well can still nut punch but pretty much

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
Ding, Ermac is massively downplayed especially his footseis tools. B12, D3, D1, F3, ETC. It's a rough MU for Kano & I really wish Seattle had a Ermac that wasn't me so I could figure it out more.
And that f4 is pretty good. I noticed that out that oh range he cant do much. Keeping him there means he has to like jump or some

Gofer_MK_

Banned
@
Dude, I am really looking forward to seeing you more in some tournaments. Shame your match with Mike was offscreen. :)

Dukmunky

Arms Dealer, including all 4 of Goro's
Ding, Ermac is massively downplayed especially his footseis tools. B12, D3, D1, F3, ETC. It's a rough MU for Kano & I really wish Seattle had a Ermac that wasn't me so I could figure it out more.
I disagree here, as someone who plays Ermac a fair bit. He has tools - and if he knocks you down you could be in trouble - but if you guess right once you can absolutely body him. Just watch out for EX soul blast on wake up. You can sometimes fuzzy guard against the low/overhead soulball if you aren't online, or if you have a great connection.

On an unrelated note - I played a long set against Jax yesterday. Good God, are the disparities glaring in that matchup. Jax has all the safe mixup tools as Kano, but with a half-screen overhead or low overhead on wake up (with armor), the ability to do close to 40% damage with one meter and carry you to the corner, great unmetered damage....... it's insane to me that Kano is considered "good" when Jax exists in the same game.

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
I disagree here, as someone who plays Ermac a fair bit. He has tools - and if he knocks you down you could be in trouble - but if you guess right once you can absolutely body him. Just watch out for EX soul blast on wake up. You can sometimes fuzzy guard against the low/overhead soulball if you aren't online, or if you have a great connection.

On an unrelated note - I played a long set against Jax yesterday. Good God, are the disparities glaring in that matchup. Jax has all the safe mixup tools as Kano, but with a half-screen overhead or low overhead on wake up (with armor), the ability to do close to 40% damage with one meter and carry you to the corner, great unmetered damage....... it's insane to me that Kano is considered "good" when Jax exists in the same game.
One being great does not make another any less good.