What's new

General/Other - Kano Kano General Discussion Thread

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
The mods locked out pre-release discussion threads and told the Kano main's to make our own so here we are.

Discuss all things related to Kano here, from which variation you like the most and why to your favorite costume.

Derocus

'The Cage Mage'
This much should be obvious, but finishing combos with your buff in place of the ending special is a must.

Also. I'm struggling to find any good pressure options. Anyone got something for me?

Last edited:

Rasslor

Noob
Question to the fellow Commando's. How do you envisage yourself using his counters? Do you guys think counter fishing might be a viable strategy (considering how offensive heavy MKX is relative to MK9)

KH Royale

The truth is out..
As a kano main ill be sure to be active this time around. Ive been playing and have some things. I'll be sure to upload after work

Rager Da Prince

I can't help my Fiction addiction.
Question to the fellow Commando's. How do you envisage yourself using his counters? Do you guys think counter fishing might be a viable strategy (considering how offensive heavy MKX is relative to MK9)
I use it as a anti wake up tool. Since invulnerable is very short during opp wake-up, I grab them all day. Once they have a bar I use the counters accordingly. The get scared to wake up I keep grabbing them tell death.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Does Kano have no way to produce an overhead in Cyber form other than n.jp? I don't seem to see one. A character much less threatening when you know you can just crouch block all day.
What I'm leaning on thinking right now is some MU's Cybernetics will be dominant but other I'll have to use Cutthroat. Same can be said with people playing Commando.

Cutthroat has to be learned by all Kano players to be fully effective I feel.

ando1184

Noob
Made a video of this and put it in the combo thread. May as well put it here too. Not really sure where blockstrings belong.

Nice it's good to get a visual. I tried f33 and it never worked. I was against erron black as well but it was his outkast alt. do you think alts have different hitboxes again? Good stuff on the jump ins as well. I completely forgot to test that.

dark55

Noob
Cutthroat is what im liking the best so far. the damage is pretty good in that. 36 1 bar. if you power up 46% and if you use 2 bar and charge up its 52%. That is all im was able to come up with so far. costume....havent really being paying attention.

I've only really had experience with the Commando variation but I'm really not understanding what the strength of it is. I am obviously not an expert and we need a lot of time to uncover Kano's potential but it seems to lack damage compared to the other variations and has less zoning options as well so you gotta close the distance.

But they give you no Commando only move to help you get in...so I would assume that if your sacrificing damage and zoning then you would be compensated with some crazy mix up potential, you know making the enemy afraid of high/low and command grabs. Problem is Commando has no overhead attacks on the ground so that leaves mids and lows so people will just crouch block you...

So you've got these command grabs which are nice but the ones that are unblockable have terrible reach and the one with decent reach can be blocked and you've got to burn meter to get armour on them.

Commando should have a pressure string or reset or something that allows him to maintain his advantage, otherwise your just doing a whole lot more guessing to win.

What I like about the variation

Command grabs and the Commando combo can be great for positioning the opponent where you want them.
Counters are cool to use and are not nearly as useless as they usually are in other fighting games. 21% damage if using meter is enough to finish off a low health opponent when he thinks he can turn it around with a meter burned wake up attack

What I don't like

No additional zoning tools (fine because it's not a zoning variation)
No obvious way so far to get good damage other than corner combos (fine because it's not about max damage with this variation)
Seemingly poor mixup/pressure game when it should be the selling point of the Variation imo.

Again my impressions can easily be wrong and I hope they are but I'm just giving my thoughts so far. I will continue to main the Commando Variation but the last fighting game I played I used a character who in addition to having a lot of weaknesses, also lacked damage and fighting other characters who hit hard as hell while having better pressure AND zoning was demoralizing.

At the very least I really enjoy the commando animations for throws and counters so that's good motivation.

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
I need your help with COMMANDO KANO:
A)PARRY
-Whats the difference between normal and enhanced version? I mean,only frames and damage?
-I know it cant parry proyectiles and jump ins, but... can parry specials? only "body moves" ones? or we have to check it one by one?
B)COMMAND GRAB
-Its unblockable?
-has armor when enhanced?
C)Whats your BnB?

Thanks a lot :)

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
What I'm leaning on thinking right now is some MU's Cybernetics will be dominant but other I'll have to use Cutthroat. Same can be said with people playing Commando.

Cutthroat has to be learned by all Kano players to be fully effective I feel.
Agreed. I'm starting out in Cutthroat. I just fear I'll get too used to the overhead. Haven't had much time yet though. Will be spending time on cyber today. Any suggestions before I start.

Yashiro Aniki

Aniki of Steel
Yesterday i had worst match up against Reptile.

The slowing fire ball that on hit lunch u on air with 100% follow up combo, it's really ruin my day.
Because he can do anything he wants mix up, throw, & repeat cycle while the the slowing ball moving on the stage.

I like to play as Cybernetic but it's lack overhead option because they can crouch block all day.
Cutthroat is a very nice because of F3 is very fast to punish with range & B1 is a overhead move, but never used the power up buff due to one of the variation he has a debuff that whenever you are close to him u eat cheap damage.

For Commando i don't think it's a good choice since he can over zoning on kano, once you reach to him you get around 20% damage but for him once you play unsafe he can get around 34% combo damage...

Any advice to help me to improve?

I know there is a lot of mention of cybernetic not having an overhead starter so opponents can crouch block, but I feel his b23 is such a good footsie tool you can fish for long range hits and this won't matter so much - people can't block all day or they'll get grabbed.

Is his b233+4 safe on block? if so, even better you can hit confirm into meter burn for a 28% combo or into laser for 33% if you don't finish the string. And it has range for days. Just my two cents, although I'm new to this....so I'm probably wrong! :)

NHDR

Noob
Is it worth using cybernetic over cutthroat? You have the same knife throw, same AA kano ball, but much more range on some normals (ex. B12). Plus more combo damage. I haven't really used cybernetic yet.

whats the frame data on b12 in cutthroat and b233+4 in cybernetic? sorry im at work at the min and cant check. If b12 in cutthroat outranges and is safe, plus he has oheads in that variation. Also I heard the knife throws had different frame data also?

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Is it worth using cybernetic over cutthroat? You have the same knife throw, same AA kano ball, but much more range on some normals (ex. B12). Plus more combo damage. I haven't really used cybernetic yet.
Knife throw is not the same, plus there are additional strings to make up for less range on other ones.
Don't know about combo damage, but it should be somewhat ok.

I can get 33% with 1 bar in cybernetic off his long range pokes, haven't tried cutthroat though. Cybernetics laser is a combo extender. Well worth a look into, and his knives are quick enough.

Obmil

When is Kano trident rush?!
Our character is cold trash in the winter time. @colt make kano's knife toss hit mid in every variation good sir, we need it.