What's new

General/Other - Goro Goro General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
I actually forgot about the B3 into SG, but then again the only one he can link it to is his only low. SG is punishable if whiffed, so I would never recommend just throwing it out there.

F3 needs to be faster 10 or 11 frames, to actually make it a viable mid.

Let me tell you how i think Goro should be played, at least at the moment.

Sweep range: f3, f3xxpw, d4, d4xxpw, f4 very rarely.

Up close: down pokes, down pokesxxpw and yes i m going to say it, b1 and 1.

Full screen: Tremors combined with chest lunges.

If they make f3 10 or 11 frames, he will break the game, cause he will have 3 ways of getting in free, the other two being pw and d4xxpw.

The reason EB's command grab can be linked from so many of his strings, is because its 16-17f. Goro's command grab is 8f, which means he will again break the game, since pw is 12f and opponent CANNOT react to that. You can react, mostly, against EB's command grab.

The reason Goro has so many frame traps is because of his 8f sg. You can do almost unseeable "pseudo" cancels from his 11, 21 (4 comes out late and many people will expect it) and f3 normals. I ve said that before as well. I m not saying to throw it around all the time, but once you do it, the opponent has something else to respect as well besides pw.

And from there you can start baiting armored moves, check your opponent with down pokes and regular throws etc.

SG is punishable on whiff like all the command grabs in the game. The reason it has more recovery on whiff than other command grabs is because of its huge range and start up frames.

Taking all these things into account, i really do not think Goro is the worst in the game. He just requires time to master, unlike other characters in this game.

Last edited:

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
IMO Shokan Grab is fast but that's it really. Nothing else makes it scary. It does meh damage and doesn't leave you in a position to apply solid follow-up pressure. If the opp has to choose between 14% and a full screen situation reset or eating ~30% and corner carry for trying to get away, they're usually going to take the grab.

I also don't think PW into EX PW is all that great. PW is -4 so they know we'll either EX PW or block, because pressing something at -4 means we get poked into pressure or comboed for way more than we were gonna get from a command grab or whatever button we pressed. And if they block the EX PW, you're back in their face at -4 and down a bar that Goro REALLY needs. I mean yea it's 50/50 but the risk/reward of that mixup is not in Goro's favor at all.

Not saying he's the worst. Not saying you can't win with his tools. But they are lacking IMO (which prob isn't worth much cause I'm way worse at MK than Injustice and SF haha)

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever
yeah uh after watching barely a minute of HOLD BLOCK i feel you are unqualified to say goro's the worst character in the game.

SG is Goro's best meterless tool.

Not having any set plays after SG really hurts this character. This seems like something that NRS went out of their way to ensure. Even if you ground pound after SG, many of the tremors will mysteriously whiff.

Im really starting to think Dragon Fang is going to be Goro's go to variation. It lacks the range and "mix up" of TF but i think Spin and the higher damage grab are worth the trade off.

Mortal Komhat

That damage only happens if you do mixups for the command grab. Tacked on at the end of combos, you get so much scaling that there's virtually no difference between non-DF and DF.

The extra buttons are good when mixing up from a f212+4 string. db2 reaches at that distance, so does f4 and f3 - so you create a guessing game, at a distance, of going low for knockdown, mid into combo, or overhead into MASSIVE corner push (and combo if you're in the corner already).

Spin is... OKAY but don't think it replaces punchwalk in all situations. It really doesn't.

I honestly think all three variations are viable and it depends on what you personally prefer. I tend to go KW/DF myself, but I've been working in some Tigrar (btw ex fireball in Tigrar is ass they're all highs thus duckable - don't bother using those even to close out rounds. ex in the other two though? hits mid, has a huge screen presence, and does iirc 14% and knocks down. It's essentially MB Zeus' Lightning except it doesn't suck) in there and honestly I'm thinking that whatever you choose will be good.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
That damage only happens if you do mixups for the command grab. Tacked on at the end of combos, you get so much scaling that there's virtually no difference between non-DF and DF.

The extra buttons are good when mixing up from a f212+4 string. db2 reaches at that distance, so does f4 and f3 - so you create a guessing game, at a distance, of going low for knockdown, mid into combo, or overhead into MASSIVE corner push (and combo if you're in the corner already).

Spin is... OKAY but don't think it replaces punchwalk in all situations. It really doesn't.

I honestly think all three variations are viable and it depends on what you personally prefer. I tend to go KW/DF myself, but I've been working in some Tigrar (btw ex fireball in Tigrar is ass they're all highs thus duckable - don't bother using those even to close out rounds. ex in the other two though? hits mid, has a huge screen presence, and does iirc 14% and knocks down. It's essentially MB Zeus' Lightning except it doesn't suck) in there and honestly I'm thinking that whatever you choose will be good.
Spin replaces punchwalk in everyway except corner carry

It ALWAYS recaptures a jump back. That alone is enough to use it over punchwalk entirely.

The only reason to use punchwalk in this variation is to end midscreen combo's for corner carry, and the 2nd hit of armor when getting off your back.

Mortal Komhat

Yah, but in most situations you described I'd rather have the corner carry than anything else. Also, EX PW, njp, f12 xx PW is 2/3rds screen carry. In all variants.

(But yeah if you think they're going to jump back or block low for some stupid reason EX Spin 'em)

IIRC for straight midscreen damage spin is better, as well but don't quote me on that because I don't remember the combo that backed me up on it.

I wish Goro had an AA grab. I mean he has four arms, FOUR AHMS I SAY. Out of all the kharacters in the game, grabbing someone out of the air makes the most sense with him. I suppose that is just my opinion though.

I think the main strength of DF is that it solves one of goro's main problems - his lack of anti air. EX Dragon spin timed right gets you 30% used as an anti-air. Also it works against crossups, you just have to input it right as they pass over you.

Yeah, this variation gets fucked over the most by zoning characters, but I tthink its good against non-heavy zoning characters.

Also I think goro has great pressure, you just need to use d3 OS command grab more.

n9195v

Noob
His warrior variation is his best. Heres why:
You can end every combo in bf2. You get a hard knock down that allows you to get right in their face for free. After bf2 dash into d1. It beats every wakeup besides backdash, delays, and armor moves. If they delay you'll recover in time to check them again. Block for armor moves and check them with f3 if they're back dashing.

Hell of a lot better than sending them full screen, Goro's worst position.

^Hmm I'll try that. I kinda avoided it because I would rather have my opponent in the corner. But I think goro's mid screen pressure is decent enough to make it work.

I think all variations have their merits unlike alot of characters. It depends on the MU which variation is best. His variations are pretty balanced with each just because of how similar they all are.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
i don't use chest lunge that much. seems counterintuitive on a character with heavy emphasis on the corner to throw them away from it. i love his ground pound but i hate how his hitbox comes back up for the second hit. makes trying to dodge certain things really annoying

ending with sweep might be a good idea for the hard knockdown and how close it leaves them.

Mortal Komhat

End with shokan grab in the midscreen only if you are killing them (and in DF, that's pretty much any time they're at 40% or less).

I'd probably either go Tigrar or KW against people who can keep me out, I'd say. Anyone who wants to go in, DF will get me more damage per hit.

Perhaps this has been answered before, but excuse my lazinnes cause I will ask again. So I want to know which pro players play goro? I haven't been able to find any pro matches on youtube. I watch a lot of brady, djt and others for my main sub, but now goro is my second and I need some match footage. I learn the most from those videos, much more than just from reading bunch of stuff and even those tournament videos inspire me to get much better myself.

Perhaps this has been answered before, but excuse my lazinnes cause I will ask again. So I want to know which pro players play goro? I haven't been able to find any pro matches on youtube. I watch a lot of brady, djt and others for my main sub, but now goro is my second and I need some match footage. I learn the most from those videos, much more than just from reading bunch of stuff and even those tournament videos inspire me to get much better myself.
Forever King has some matches where he plays goro in tournaments

Triplswing

your soe will BERRN
His warrior variation is his best. Heres why:
You can end every combo in bf2. You get a hard knock down that allows you to get right in their face for free. After bf2 dash into d1. It beats every wakeup besides backdash, delays, and armor moves. If they delay you'll recover in time to check them again. Block for armor moves and check them with f3 if they're back dashing.

Hell of a lot better than sending them full screen, Goro's worst position.
What's the mixup to that because of you do it every time they are obviously going to start responding.

Gurg

Noob
After chest bump midscreen I usually run in and try for a b+3-PW or 3-d+3-PW. I'm thinking that SG or even better, d+1,OS SG would be good too.

But what I'm really curious about, is dashing in after chest bump better than running in? Goro's run seems pretty terrible after all. :/

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Do you guys think Goro's poor mobility will end up being crippling as the game goes on?

Most of his strengths are pretty common amongst the cast but there really doesn't seem to be much in the way of unique strengths, while his almost entirely poor walk/run/mediocre dashes seem to be a big flaw that is a lot more limited compared to corner carry and armor

Status
Not open for further replies.