What's new

General/Other - Goro Goro General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
Man I wish the ground flame in TF was like 5 frames faster. Just spent like 2 hrs breaking his corner game down and he has some ridiculous 50/50's and corner pressure. At least he would if his ground flame wasn't so slow and reactable.

If they buff the startup to where it's either un-interruptable and/or un-reactable, I think TF could be the alpha variation.

I'm amazed at how awesome 3, D3 is against people in the corner. It's amazing at how many EX moves it can break. I would still like a true 50/50 game, though, instead of this 3D3 bandaid.

Also, nothing is more satisfying than doing EX PunchWalk against a wake up EX HatSpinning Kung Lao in the corner!

Here is a question...

How do you guys handle the vortex people do when they hit you low then jump over you to hit you high? It is probably the most annoying thing I find as Goro. Having a sub zero/scorpion jumping over me constantly and not being able to stop it really pisses me off.

How do you handle this?

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
I'm amazed at how awesome 3, D3 is against people in the corner. It's amazing at how many EX moves it can break. I would still like a true 50/50 game, though, instead of this 3D3 bandaid.

Also, nothing is more satisfying than doing EX PunchWalk against a wake up EX HatSpinning Kung Lao in the corner!

Here is a question...

How do you guys handle the vortex people do when they hit you low then jump over you to hit you high? It is probably the most annoying thing I find as Goro. Having a sub zero/scorpion jumping over me constantly and not being able to stop it really pisses me off.

How do you handle this?
block and counterpoke

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I see a lot of Goros not canceling blocked strings into punchwalk.

That's a huge part of Goro strategy. It builds a ton of meter and is 99.9% safe, and most importantly it keeps his corner push momentum going.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
I see a lot of Goros not canceling blocked strings into punchwalk.

That's a huge part of Goro strategy. It builds a ton of meter and is 99.9% safe, and most importantly it keeps his corner push momentum going.
also punchwalk into punchwalk vs people who spam the block button :DOGE

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
also f21 2+3 may have a gap but it's also plus 2 on block

nobody ever sees it so i doubt they know they can armor through

good for corner shenanigans

but it is a true 50/50

and we don't need more
I would argue that yes, we do. Any character who wants a shot at being competetive has/needs 'true' 50/50 strings.

I understand people love goro being the underdog, but some of us actually want a 'big guy/grappler' to actually be competetive for once in a fighting game. :)

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
I don't see how this works. When they jump over me, and hit me high, when I block, there isn't enough time to poke back. They have priority and always poke me first when they land.
You don't have to counterpoke the air attack, if they're landing and trying to poke you wait and block their ground poke and then it is "your turn" so to speak, in terms of having frame advantage

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I would argue that yes, we do. Any character who wants a shot at being competetive has/needs 'true' 50/50 strings.

I understand people love goro being the underdog, but some of us actually want a 'big guy/grappler' to actually be competetive for once in a fighting game. :)
and he already has one. b3 hits low, 3d3 is a 13-frame overhead

i understand you want to go mash out your 50/50's in every single situation, but some of us enjoy having a character who's more than a coinflip

:)

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
@AoK Ryan why do you think Goro is the worst character in the game? Unless you were trolling.
Tell me a character that is worse.

The only good thing about Goro is his pokes.
  1. No solid pressure
  2. No quick hitting mid.
  3. No quick advancing normals.
  4. Goro has alright damage at best.
  5. No Mix-up game.
  6. Not able to link any normal to SG.
  7. B12U2 has to be the worst string in the game with how close you have to be for it to hit, barley links on cross-ups and has the biggest gap I have ever seen in a string. (You can full combo punish it with any normal string, not even armor needed.)
  8. The lack of anti airs this character has is embarrassing.
  9. The slowest run in the game.
So please, tell me a character that has this many problems.

Also, PunchWalk to EX PunchWalk is not a thing, since you can jump out of it.

Now, do not misunderstand me, I love using this character, but he sucks and needs some help.

Last edited:

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Kenshi AND Kitana to start.
Haha, Kenshi and Kitana worse than Goro? please explain.

In order to call a character garbage, you have to play someone who is actually good with that respective character.

Kitana and Kenshi are both solid characters and to my knowledge do more damage than Goro and have better options all around.

Kenshi and Kitana have full screen options, Goro does not. Ground Pound can be avoided on reaction.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Haha, Kenshi and Kitana worse than Goro? please explain.

In order to call a character garbage, you have to play someone who is actually good with that respective character.

Kitana and Kenshi are both solid characters and to my knowledge do more damage than Goro and have better options all around.

Kenshi and Kitana have full screen options, Goro does not. Ground Pound can be avoided on reaction.
Actually..... why is he bad?

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Actually..... why is he bad?

1. No solid pressure
  2. No quick hitting mid.
  5. No Mix-up game.
  7. B12U2 has to be the worst string in the game with how close you have to be for it to hit, barley links on cross-ups and has the biggest gap I have ever seen in a string. (You can full combo punish it with any normal string, not even armor needed.)

Now, do not misunderstand me, I love using this character, but he sucks and needs some help.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
  1. No solid pressure
  2. No quick hitting mid.
  5. No Mix-up game.

1. He is 0 on almost EVERY usable string. All his pokes allow you to either SG or to get a FREE f3.
2. false
3. this is true enough. f3 is not "quick". F4 is not "quick".
4. fair enough
5. false
6. so what?
7. the hit box issue is real. However, you can block confirm this string into any of his safe things or SG. So yeah
8. agreed
9. I wouldn't complain about him being faster

I do think that the u1/2 move should be 7/6 frames.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Tell me a character that is worse.

1. No solid pressure
  2. No quick hitting mid.
  5. No Mix-up game.

1. Shokan grab is 8 frames with insane reach, plus most of his strings are plus on block.
2. Shokan grab is 8 frames with insane reach.
3. F3 is more than ok.
4. I can agree with that.
5. Shokan grab is 8 frames with insane reach.
6. Shokan grab is 8 frames, i say again, plus he can link his sg from a blocked b3, not many people know this.
7. B12U2 is for punishing only, not pressuring. If you want to pressure use b121, 21, or 11.
8. Agreed, although many characters lack a solid AA option in MKX.
9. Agreed, although his walk is ok.

PunchWalk to EX PunchWalk is a mixup. If they jump after they blocked a pw you can d1 and you will catch them in air, for a full combo. He also has on of the best corner pressures in the game, along with TG Raiden these two can literally get the opponent in the corner while they are blocking, its ridiculous and once there, there is almost nothing their opponents can do.

The only buff i would give him would be 2% more damage on his regular sg and a more reliable AA for mid screen situations, since d1 is only excellent for cross ups and his u1/u2 is excellent if the opponent tries to escape from the corner.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
1. He is 0 on almost EVERY usable string. All his pokes allow you to either SG or to get a FREE f3.
2. false
3. this is true enough. f3 is not "quick". F4 is not "quick".
4. fair enough
5. false
6. so what?
7. the hit box issue is real. However, you can block confirm this string into any of his safe things or SG. So yeah
8. agreed
9. I wouldn't complain about him being faster

I do think that the u1/2 move should be 7/6 frames.
  1. Just because a string leaves you at 0 doesn't mean good pressure. Sonya's strings are pretty much all negative and has better pressure than Goro.
  2. What is the quick hitting mid? F3 is 15 frames and F4 is like 25. 1 2 3 4 are all highs. B1 has the range of a D3.
  3. No Mix up game meaning the only OH that he has is the 2nd hit of a string, so no reason not to block low.
  4. Not being able to link a SG after a string or normal is huge (ex. Erron Black, Ferra / Torr, Kano) (adds to the mix up game.)

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
1. Shokan grab is 8 frames with insane reach, plus most of his strings are plus on block.
2. Shokan grab is 8 frames with insane reach.
3. F3 is more than ok.
4. I can agree with that.
5. Shokan grab is 8 frames with insane reach.
6. Shokan grab is 8 frames, i say again, plus he can link his sg from a blocked b3, not many people know this.
7. B12U2 is for punishing only, not pressuring. If you want to pressure use b121, 21, or 11.
8. Agreed, although many characters lack a solid AA option in MKX.
9. Agreed, although his walk is ok.

PunchWalk to EX PunchWalk is a mixup. If they jump after they blocked a pw you can d1 and you will catch them in air, for a full combo. He also has on of the best corner pressures in the game, along with TG Raiden these two can literally get the opponent in the corner while they are blocking, its ridiculous and once there, there is almost nothing their opponents can do.

The only buff i would give him would be 2% more damage on his regular sg and a more reliable AA for mid screen situations, since d1 is only excellent for cross ups and his u1/u2 is excellent if the opponent tries to escape from the corner.
I actually forgot about the B3 into SG, but then again the only one he can link it to is his only low. SG is punishable if whiffed, so I would never recommend just throwing it out there.

F3 needs to be faster 10 or 11 frames, to actually make it a viable mid.

and also B3 being -21 on block. ( I know you can cancel it into punchwalk or SG but damn)

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
  1. Just because a string leaves you at 0 doesn't mean good pressure. Sonya's strings are pretty much all negative and has better pressure than Goro.
  2. What is the quick hitting mid? F3 is 15 frames and F4 is like 25. 1 2 3 4 are all highs. B1 has the range of a D3.
  3. No Mix up game meaning the only OH that he has is the 2nd hit of a string, so no reason not to block low.
  4. Not being able to link a SG after a string or normal is huge (ex. Erron Black, Ferra / Torr, Kano) (adds to the mix up game.)
f4 is an OH as well and is 0 on block and has good reach.

your point is moot when you use sonya as an example.... because her strings aren't "pressure" but rather guessing the block.

He is actually one of the very few characters that is completely safe off his 50/50 stuff because of punchwalk.

Status
Not open for further replies.