What's new

General/Other - Goro Goro General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
I think that's the intended effect. All throws whiff if you duck em on startup right?
That would makes sense. So that is a 1 frame invincibility on throws no matter what, even if they hit ducking opponents?

Just want to make sure I understand this correctly.

Miley Cyrus

Wrecking Ball
What are sure fire ways to fix bad habits with Goro? I find myself giving tunnel vision on getting F3 to do my work for everything, and it's causing me to lose sight of the Grand picture.

Espio

Kokomo
Hello gents, I have something I'd like to discuss about Goro. Now I haven't seen or personally been using this consistently or in the way I'm about to discuss so here goes.

In the current version of the game, Goro's standing 4. This move is one of the most underrated gems for this character in my opinion. It is 16 frames like Goro's forward 3 and reach at round start like forward, BUT it is also plus 2 on block. The only catch of this normal is that it hits high on neutral duck (hits mid on block though). This isn't actually a bad thing though because in order to deal with standing four by neutral crouching, one must put themselves at risk of eating a forward 3, which leads to full combo damage and immense corner carry. Essentially opening up 4 regularly especially in footsie range. On block, your down 4 still reaches so you have a legit option to check after that is ranged and fast.

Factor in that standing 4 combos as well and can cancel into punch walk for gapless pressure and he gets additional offensive, footsie and defensive layers off of this singular button.

That all alone should be enough to make the case for the utility of this normal, but for Tigrar Fury players this normal is even more important because it allows them to bully with flame breath in a much more relevant and nuanced way. Because standing 4 has pushback, even Cassie's current ex flip kick whiffs versus 4 cancelled into flame breath so even with armor she's holding plus frames or eating damage while losing a bar. Max range 4 allows Goro to chip/damage tempest Lao safely and ex spin does not hit due to the pushback and then Goro can punish spin for full combo afterwards.

8-9 frame advancing mids do not reach and the space created negates faster normals and specials as well. There are exceptions like Reptile's ex slide that can get around this but it's a full combo risk, requires meter and since this normal has a lot of guessing tied to it and the damage acquired is low by Reptile, the risk reward is pretty high. Basically, the only things that can hope to reach are fast advancing armor moves, which is totally fair and fine anyway given the lack of safety on most of them or other weaknesses like not leading to anything notable damage wise.

This and a couple other reasons has me reinvesting in Tigrar Fury quite a bit more in the future. Dragon Fangs/Tigrar Fury feel really good as compliments to me right now.

Standing 4 creates another innovative way for Goro to chip and open up the opponent across variations and I will be incorporating this a lot more into my Goro strategy and meta game.

What are sure fire ways to fix bad habits with Goro? I find myself giving tunnel vision on getting F3 to do my work for everything, and it's causing me to lose sight of the Grand picture.
The same way you break habits as any character really. Everything you do should have a sensible reason behind it. Why am I ex punch walking? Why am I running up and hitting forward 3? Why did I poke here? Being cognizant of choices and how they benefit you is important to help break flow chart patterns. Sometimes the correct course of action is to do nothing. Goro players are always pressing buttons, always doing something and sometimes the proper strategy is to relax, think about it and wait. Most of the time, there is no real rush. When you're standing or walking around, you can react, punish and space people out effectively.

Once you get comfortable thinking and relaxing your mind, it will become instinctual.

Espio

Kokomo
@Espio, what is the recovery of s4 on whiff?
It's 3 frames quicker recovery than forward 3 with slightly less range or equal range depending on the character you're fighting, which is really weird. The cancel advantage is so good that Mileena cannot low profile roll under 4 flame breath for example whereas she can if you do any other type of flame breath cancel like forward 3 or 2,1.

Status
Not open for further replies.