What's new

General/Other - Goro Goro General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

yugzilla

Noob
Please share then.
i haven't read through the whole discussion so this might have already been mentioned but i think i have found an option select with Goro involving his 3,D3 string. i was just messing around with him and found that if you can connect the 3,D3 then you could buffer a special cancel like punchwalk,fireball etc but if the opponent blocks then the special input does not come out and the string itself is only -2 on block so it cant be punished. so far the most damage i got was 29 midscreen in tiger fury for 1 bar which i think is not bad. also be careful in training mode since sometimes if you try to do a special cancel from the string, it will come out as an x ray even though i don't even press the stance button

i did 3,D3 xx DF4 EX, slight run, F3 xx DBF3 - Tiger fury

Last edited:

RYX

BIG PUSHER
@Metzos

couldn't you get more damage off of ending with f3~chest lunge rather than uppercut for the combo? or does the uppercut not actually scale that hard?

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
@Metzos

couldn't you get more damage off of ending with f3~chest lunge rather than uppercut for the combo? or does the uppercut not actually scale that hard?
I posted a 1 bar combo for ex gp setup. You cant do ex gp after a chest lunge in the air, unless your opponent has shitty wake ups which dont advance far enough to punish you.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Combine ground pound and the fire ball in KW, then you get something which is not to be trifled with. As i said before, ground pounds have insane recovery even on whiff, lower Goro's hit box (even most projectiles can whiff, giving Goro the win on projectile wars, although it requires a bit timing to do so) plus the fact that after a successful ground pound, if you dont want to spend meter for ex gp, you can check your opponent with a fireball or even another ground pound. If they get hit by gp, and start jumping forward you can check them with chest lunge. Ground pounds are awesome for full screen as well mid screen checking. Its scary.

Tigrar is good, but the flame breath gap after a blockstring can be seen from a mile away, plus it can be low profile by many characters in the game, if not all. The threat of pw cancel is there, i agree with you, but still i dont think its enough to switch over to tigrar. KW can easily check zoners as well. Goro in general has issues against characters with a teleport, although sometimes i have stuffed teleports with ground pound (have to be a jedi to do that consistently though).

On hit every var of Goro has many options. Free poke checking, sg, pw (duh), throw, 11 21 frame traps etc.

For stuffing wake ups you can also do f3 pw. Good damage, wall carry and opponent is at your feet and at the corner 99% of the time.

Also why use the low fireballs, when i have f3? Great range, excellent active frames, most of the time it will AA if opponent jumps from mid screen range and ofc can be canceled to pw, or you can pseudo cancel it to sg if your opponent respects the pw cancels too much.

All those things, combined with the damage KW can pull off, make him scary, like, real scary IMO.
I already talked about flame and why I like it. I'll take its gap and speed for the plus frames i get.

Why use that and low fireball? Because it doesn't put me harms way. My hitbox stays back and I'm still plus to continue pressure and meter build. To each his own but that is a solid option.

I'd rather save my meter for eh punchwalk than free gp. I'm not sold

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
i haven't read through the whole discussion so this might have already been mentioned but i think i have found an option select with Goro involving his 3,D3 string. i was just messing around with him and found that if you can connect the 3,D3 then you could buffer a special cancel like punchwalk,fireball etc but if the opponent blocks then the special input does not come out and the string itself is only -2 on block so it cant be punished. so far the most damage i got was 29 midscreen in tiger fury for 1 bar which i think is not bad. also be careful in training mode since sometimes if you try to do a special cancel from the string, it will come out as an x ray even though i don't even press the stance button

i did 3,D3 xx DF4 EX, slight run, F3 xx DBF3 - Tiger fury
This is known, at least to me, regarding the buffer canceling of 3d3. Thnx for posting it though man.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
I already talked about flame and why I like it. I'll take its gap and speed for the plus frames i get.

Why use that and low fireball? Because it doesn't put me harms way. My hitbox stays back and I'm still plus to continue pressure and meter build. To each his own but that is a solid option.

I'd rather save my meter for eh punchwalk than free gp. I'm not sold
To each his own then. Flame setups are interruptible and opponents who know how to play against TF Goro, wont respect them. It is gimmicky, for the simple fact that many characters can punish Goro with a full combo.

Low fireballs dont put you in harms way yes, but they dont offer you anything more than KW doesnt offer as well. You can build meter with gp when zoning your opponent as well. Not to mention tigrar's low fireball setups are all interruptible as well.

But as i said above, to each his own. If you enjoy playing TF Goro, then by all means, continue to do so. I spoke clearly competitively and i compared the two variations by that factor.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
To each his own then. Flame setups are interruptible and opponents who know how to play against TF Goro, wont respect them. It is gimmicky, for the simple fact that many characters can punish Goro with a full combo.

Low fireballs dont put you in harms way yes, but they dont offer you anything more than KW doesnt offer as well. You can build meter with gp when zoning your opponent as well. Not to mention tigrar's low fireball setups are all interruptible as well.

But as i said above, to each his own. If you enjoy playing TF Goro, then by all means, continue to do so. I spoke clearly competitively and i compared the two variations by that factor.
I use them more in neutral and zoning then off of strings btw. They are very viable for zoning

Edit: both flame and low ball

Espio

Kokomo
NRS has said from the beginning that Tigrar Fury is a zoning focused variant and asserting that it's "useless" is a bit odd. It helps a lot against zoning and from what I can tell at the moment helps me control the pace against characters with weak to meh full screen presences as well. I don't see how the qualities of this variant that give him different full screen strengths can be classified as such. The straight fireball is solid with good speed, trades are in your favor against a lot of characters and so forth.

Even if Kuatan Warrior was the best, it doesn't make another variant not worthy of usage or flat out "useless".

The low fireballs are good, my only grip is I wish there was a third version that reached full screen, that would complete the variant in my opinion, but it works fine without it for the way I like to play.

Flame breath being so plus on block means giving it an exploitable gap is fair and if you're conditioning properly, you can get in flame breaths on block from strings, even if someone knows how to deal with it. As safe as Goro is, having to condition and earn your additional plus frames is more than reasonable.

The zoning tools can be used for mix ups, but that's not their main focus or purpose nor should they be relied upon, they're more or less to catch people sleeping or catch them after you've conditioned them to expect something else then throwing a curve ball at them.

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
Flame breath being so plus on block means giving it an exploitable gap is fair and if you're conditioning properly, you can get in flame breaths on block from strings, even if someone knows how to deal with it. As safe as Goro is, having to condition and earn your additional plus frames is more than reasonable.
I've been playing around with this and have found that f.3 makes for some good TF mixups. f.3 cancels in 26 frames and FB starts up in 30 so there's a 4 frame gap where they can interrupt with armor (I think a couple chars may have 4 frame specials) but other than that it's a decent blockstring.

f.3 xx Punch Walk : Can't be interrupted and leads to combo or dmg and safe (-4) on block
f.3 xx Flame Breath
  • Has a 4 frame gap between f.3 and FB.
  • On hit:
    • Combos for 17%
    • leaves you at +18
      • Midscreen
        • Can go for another f.3 to start the mixup over
      • In the corner
        • Can go for 3,d.3 / 3, close ground flame 50/50
        • At 8f, SG is beyond free unless they jump
  • On block:
    • +12 advantage.
      • Midscreen
        • SG is 8 frames so it's free unless they jump
        • Can go for 112, 11 xx close ground flame 50/50
        • If you're at max range,
          • f.3 is 16f startup (comes out in 4 frames) so you can go for the f.3 again relatively safely to start the mixup over.
          • can go for d.4 (low) xx FB - d.4 cancels in 18 and FB is 30 so there's a big gap. Cancel into PW or EX FB to check them
          • can go for f.4 (overhead) - 20f startup so it will come out in 8f. Not bad
            • This 50/50 is a bit more unsafe but it's all you got at max range
      • Corner
        • There's a lot of pushback
        • If you hit deep
          • you can get b.3 (low) xx FB (4f gap) or f.4 (overhead, comes out in 8f)
          • SG is free unless they jump
        • If you hit max range, you can go for the d.4/f.4 50/50 or f.3
f.3 (hit or block) SG - Once they start respecting the FB and respecting you baiting them to punish the gap, they'll block often, you can do a raw f.3 and then SG.
  • f.3 hits : +23, SG is free unless they jump. Can also go into f.3 again
  • f.3 blocked : -2, so SG comes out in 10f (not that bad) and d.1/3 comes out in 8

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Guys I've been thinking about it

What is our serious utility for fangs so far? I love having spin and damage flows easy, but considering punchwalk is already safe and ex groundpound nets us awesome damage, what is its' usefulness?

That low poke is cool but I find most of my opponents are always low blocking anyway, I think the variation must be for enhanced pressure maybe?

@Metzos @Espio @AK L0rdoftheFLY @chief713 @Pterodactyl @anyone else who has any ideas

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist

What is our serious utility for fangs so far? I love having spin and damage flows easy, but considering punchwalk is already safe and ex groundpound nets us awesome damage, what is its' usefulness?

That low poke is cool but I find most of my opponents are always low blocking anyway, I think the variation must be for enhanced pressure maybe?

@Metzos @Espio @AK L0rdoftheFLY @chief713 @Pterodactyl @anyone else who has any ideas
Being +6, that low poke pretty good. But tbh, I think it's just a little too slow at 16f. If that's going to be his only variation specific normal, I'd think it'd be a little better than that. But it goes into SG off of max range on block, so there is some usefulness there. But that and d.4 are the only things that reach from max range. Pretty weak 50/50 imo.

Like I mentioned earlier, I think Fangs will be a better variation once ppl start getting a mastery of Goro's footsies. But it does seem a little lacking in utility, at least compared to KW and TF.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game

I agree with you. I don't use it

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I prefer TF as well for the better fireball and the midrange options with low fireball. I think DF is a bill, as there is no point in another punch walk move imo. I would prefer getting mid 30% from ex punchwalk then 12% for ex gp.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.

@Cage Redfield seems to think it's the bees knees, but I've found nothing exceptional to praise it for.

I've been feeling Fangs lately mainly because Spin is safer than Punchwalk, Spin catches people jumping better than Punchwalk and the damage increase is p good. I like hitting 40% off one of our main pokes, too.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
I've been feeling Fangs lately mainly because Spin is safer than Punchwalk, Spin catches people jumping better than Punchwalk and the damage increase is p good. I like hitting 40% off one of our main pokes, too.
Plus the fact that d1 and some other of his normals seem to have better range as well, especially d1. DF really reminds of DD in IGAU.

Post edited.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
NRS has said from the beginning that Tigrar Fury is a zoning focused variant and asserting that it's "useless" is a bit odd. It helps a lot against zoning and from what I can tell at the moment helps me control the pace against characters with weak to meh full screen presences as well. I don't see how the qualities of this variant that give him different full screen strengths can be classified as such. The straight fireball is solid with good speed, trades are in your favor against a lot of characters and so forth.

Even if Kuatan Warrior was the best, it doesn't make another variant not worthy of usage or flat out "useless".

The low fireballs are good, my only grip is I wish there was a third version that reached full screen, that would complete the variant in my opinion, but it works fine without it for the way I like to play.

The zoning tools can be used for mix ups, but that's not their main focus or purpose nor should they be relied upon, they're more or less to catch people sleeping or catch them after you've conditioned them to expect something else then throwing a curve ball at them.

Tigrar was the 1st var i played, but when you play against Raiden, Scorpion, Cassie, KL etc, Tigrar seems to be lacking a lot of stuff, like damage, air control, corner switching etc. Against happy jumpers flame breath and low fireballs wont help you win. But like i said, to each his own.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
I love that matchup. Its super fun actually.
it seems like you'd just have to think more, yes? with his defensive options don't toss out punchwalk and make it chess, not checkers
Being +6, that low poke pretty good. But tbh, I think it's just a little too slow at 16f. If that's going to be his only variation specific normal, I'd think it'd be a little better than that. But it goes into SG off of max range on block, so there is some usefulness there. But that and d.4 are the only things that reach from max range. Pretty weak 50/50 imo.

Like I mentioned earlier, I think Fangs will be a better variation once ppl start getting a mastery of Goro's footsies. But it does seem a little lacking in utility, at least compared to KW and TF.
Good points. I think in matchups where I need expert footsies i could use it, but even then could be a stretch

I agree with you. I don't use it
It's good for anti airing with ex spin but otherwise it just doesn't seem different enough

agreed on all points but i don't know if it's worth losing out on some other tools

Plus the fact that d1 and some other of his normals seem to have better range as well, especially d1. DF really reminds of DD in IGAU.

Post edited.
is that true? If so that could be a possible saving grace

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
Fangs spin is GDLK as a footsie tool, catch airborne opps, decent range,-3 on block. Also dont forget how high goes the juggle using the MB version.
Also, after the stomp there is the perfect distance for a 50/50 with the low poke and the F4.
And the damage of this variation.... :)
For me is the perfect variation, I played DD in IGAU

Agilaz

It has begun

While I agree with the idea of what you're saying, in practice it doesn't seem that clear cut. Yes, he's meant to be a zoner, the problem is he isn't very good at it with the tools he has now. I just played a long set with a pretty good Mileena, and I found fireballs to not be of much use outside of their mix-up potential. Her sai beat everything, and I can only assume the same applies to other characters that have decently fast projectiles.

It doesn't help either that his straight fireball hits high and can be neutral ducked.

Anyway, I've had a great run with Kuatan Warrior at first, so I'm gonna continue to focus on Tigrar for the moment to see if I can make something magic happen. I agree that his flame breath is a good tool as it is, and using that propely will be the key to making this variation shine.

#plsgivegoroaltskin

Status
Not open for further replies.