What's new

Fallout 4 Discussion Thread

I like F3 and New Vegas but F1 will always be my favorite in the series. F2 was good but it always felt cartoonish for me. F1 had a way better atmosphere. Hopefully Bethesda does good with this one.

The Highlander

There can be only one
Here are my thoughts.

I loved Fallout 3, but NV was a disappointment for me. I played the game and it was good but it didn't have the survival feel of F3, it felt way too populated and centered around wars than actual survival. Hopefully F4 is like 3, the environments look to be a mix of both.

Graphics don't matter, you're not playing this game for the graphics, it always was mediocre in that department.
Complete opposite of you. Thought three was alright but New Vegas was amazing. Why would I want to chase down my deadbeat dad? I will happily chase down the asshat that shot me though. 3 was a bit too empty and bland (only had 20 sidequests). I preferred the western frontier feel to NV, it's closer to the originals.

I wish I had played FO1/2 back in the day, but I never heard of them then. And now I just don't think I can get over the graphics; I loved how FO3/NV was FPS + RPG.
Maaaan people are too spoiled by graphics today haha.

Honestly I think the soundtrack, art style, and ambience of F1 blow away anything F3 or New Vegas has to offer. It might be tough to get into at first but it's worth it.

The Slaj Jazz

TIckle my sweet salty nips
I wonder how long theyve been working on it, it would be awesome if it somehow got released later this year. But times been going by pretty quick so atleast hopefully early next year

agreed @crosstalk. I like FO2 a bit more than 1 but imho 3 is the worst game of the franchise. Excluding tactics and BoS of course, but three is just unlike any of the other Fallout games. New Vegas actually feels like a fallout game, it's probably my favorite.

agreed @crosstalk. I like FO2 a bit more than 1 but imho 3 is the worst game of the franchise. Excluding tactics and BoS of course, but three is just unlike any of the other Fallout games. New Vegas actually feels like a fallout game, it's probably my favorite.
Yeah after my 2nd playthrough of F3 I noticed how bland it was. Still a good game, but compared to the other games in the series, it's the weakest I think. I'd probably put F1 as my favorite, then New Vegas, then F2, and finally F3.

And yeah BoS and Tactics... lol

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
Can't trust Bethesda after Skyrim. I've heard nothing but bad things about Fallout 3 from Fallout fans so there's that. Then there's rumors that you play a predetermined character. Can't say I'm a fan of that.

I'll sit back and see.

aj1701

Noob
Maaaan people are too spoiled by graphics today haha.

Honestly I think the soundtrack, art style, and ambience of F1 blow away anything F3 or New Vegas has to offer. It might be tough to get into at first but it's worth it.
Its not just the graphics. the first person aspect made me really feel like I was wondering around the wasteland. the overhead grid style I don't think would be as immersive to me. I still might pick them up on steam at some point though.

I never played the first two, but love both 3 and NV. NV did have a slightly different feel, but I chalk that up to being an east coast commonwealth instead of west, and also more densely populated. I mean La Vega and Philly have completely different vibes IRL.

I hope there aren't vehicles . shih is supposed to be broken, civilization is just barely hanging on. it makes sense things are kinda bland, its all destroyed and dirty / dusty, and people don't have time to make it nicer, except in larger communities.

Can't trust Bethesda after Skyrim. I've heard nothing but bad things about Fallout 3 from Fallout fans so there's that. Then there's rumors that you play a predetermined character. Can't say I'm a fan of that.

I'll sit back and see.
All the bad things you hear are from butthurt NV or FO1/FO2 fans. Admittedly, I started out on FO3, then went to NV, then tactics, and so forth. So what FO3 wasn't as comical or bare as the desert, it was a good game on its own, and I loved playing it. What I'm really concerned about with Bethesda moving forward is if they intentionally make their games buggy or lacking to incentivize a new paid mods program. Valve shut it down with Skyrim (co-conspirators), but it's only a matter of time before they get greedy again.

MK Led

Umbasa
Can't trust Bethesda after Skyrim.
Though I didn't like skyrim as much as Oblivion or FO3, the game was much improved from a technical world building perspective, it was a bit more shallow in RPGness compared to their past games, but I think apart from that it shows that they're very capable of learning from their past games and improving upon their style of rpg.

All the bad things you hear are from butthurt NV or FO1/FO2 fans. Admittedly, I started out on FO3, then went to NV, then tactics, and so forth. So what FO3 wasn't as comical or bare as the desert, it was a good game on its own, and I loved playing it. What I'm really concerned about with Bethesda moving forward is if they intentionally make their games buggy or lacking to incentivize a new paid mods program. Valve shut it down with Skyrim (co-conspirators), but it's only a matter of time before they get greedy again.
Who gets their mods from steam anyway? :p The Nexus sites are where its at, and you will never have to pay for anything there. (and I agree, FO3 was a good game in its own right, regardless of what some of the fans think of it compared to the other FO games)

Who gets their mods from steam anyway? :p The Nexus sites are where its at, and you will never have to pay for anything there. (and I agree, FO3 was a good game in its own right, regardless of what some of the fans think of it compared to the other FO games)
I don't get mods through Steam either, unless they're a Civilization 5 mod. The point is, is that the most effective and useful mods could go for pay even with the Nexus mod site offering free ones, they might not be up to par, and the system would be abused. These are tough decisions.

MK Led

Umbasa
I don't get mods through Steam either, unless they're a Civilization 5 mod. The point is, is that the most effective and useful mods could go for pay even with the Nexus mod site offering free ones, they might not be up to par, and the system would be abused. These are tough decisions.
It's all up to the mod creators really, and many of them are strongly against paid mods. Honestly I don't think the system will ever be implemented in the same way as it was before, practically every bethesda game mod uses scripts or textures or something from another modder, and many of them use sound clips or the likeness of copyrighted characters, because they are non-profit so it doesn't matter. If they do set up a paid mods system that lasts more than like 3 days then it will have to be very restricted. I am biased when I say nexus provides the most quality mods for bethesda games, but it is also definitely true, haha. So I wouldn't be too concerned about it. I would laugh if bethesda ever monetized those weird sex mods though. :rolleyes:

catscratch

Fun Sucks
Mixed feelings. I want to be hype, but already I see a host of potential pitfalls, and I want the game to be good. I spent tons of time with Fallout 3 and even more with Fallout New Vegas, so there's definitely some emotional investment there.

Graphically, I see shoddy textures and draw distance issues. I'm sure modders can fix both of those, but come on. This is 2015. The trailer looks OK, obviously a lot of time was spent on the dog physics, but I already see a few graphical weak spots. Hopefully that's just the trailer and not the final game.

The game is a lot more colorful though. Fallout 3 had no color palette to speak of and a sickly green glow over everything. This seems to be a lot more cheery for the eye, but is that a good thing? I liked F3's gloomy aesthetic and occasional horror elements, and Bethesda definitely needs to pay close attention to the game's overall atmosphere. But, they're actually very good at this, and I believe they will.

I'm hoping they revamp the perk system. The original system gave you too much XP and a ton of useless perks that didn't really do much, mixed with a few OP ones that did. Mods kinda fixed that and F:NV certainly improved the system, so I hope they don't step back, or worse, simplify it for mass market appeal like Skyrim did.

On the subject of over-simplification and Skyrim, the latter game had levels that were essentially corridors with one possible path through them. The Fallout games had level architecture that was more reminiscent of actual real-world architecture, and allowed you to explore freely instead of just following a dungeon down one preset path. Let's hope they don't go down the Skyrim path, and actually trust their players to have some intelligence and not get lost in 3 rooms.

Plus, I REALLY hope they improve the movement. The physics and movement in Bethesda's games has been sloppy and a bit of a joke, and it really only takes a little bit of fine-tuning to turn it around. Not to mention the constant differences between the visible outlines of an object and the actual hitbox of the object - often in F3 you'd line up a shot through some gap in the wall only to hit an invisible wall. I know that this sort of thing is not obvious to a developer with no history with competitive shooters, and in a single player game it's hardly the end of the world, but again it's sloppy design that detracts from the overall experience, at least for the few people that know which way to hold a mouse. But considering it's been many games and they've yet to show any signs of paying attention to any of this, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Mixed feelings, but I'll probably sill play the hell out of it.

I'd be a lot more stoked for an Obsidian-developed sequel to FNV though.

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
it was a bit more shallow in RPGness compared to their past games, but I think apart from that it shows that they're very capable of learning from their past games and improving upon their style of rpg.
You say it's shallow in RPGness but then say it shows improvement in the style of RPG...I will say this about Skyrim. The game is definitely playable with a hundred mods installed -- even if for a short while.