What's new

Fallout 4 Discussion Thread

The Highlander

There can be only one
Hmm not digging the new level up system, feels like they took a lot of cool perks/skills out. Can no longer go ham with dynamite sticks and mines on a crazy explosive build... Still I'm enjoying the world, not too deep into the story yet.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
You don't need to have played any of the previous games to play this one right? I won't be missing any major story stuff by not having finished 3 or NV, or before?

How long is the game and are there a lot of side quests? Do the side quests actually give good loot?

Is their an option to play in 3rd person?

Solignac

Noob
You don't need to have played any of the previous games to play this one right? I won't be missing any major story stuff by not having finished 3 or NV, or before?

How long is the game and are there a lot of side quests? Do the side quests actually give good loot?

I recommend the fallout storyteller series. it's a huge series if you're interested in the lore and have a lot of time to kill
Alternatively, for a quick rundown before you play FO4
That'll be 169 bottlecaps please

You can play in 3rd person. FO4 did a better job with 3rd than the other games.

Yes there's a lot of side quests. They don't necessarily give you loot amazing when you complete them all the time, but more often than not, you'll get good stuff doing the quest.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Just killed a legendary feral ghoul reaver.

scoped rifle headshot did 40% of its life and 5 mines + bottlecap at the door instagibbed him.

The dude was sleeping on the upper floor and my crit headshot pushed him in the huge hole and in the same floor with me while I was hoping to get 1-2 more shots in as he comes down the stairs.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
And in the next room was a stalker which apparently does like 120 damage per hit and like 10 hp of radiation damage and isn't slowed down by crippled legs.

Also looks like all ghouls can still lunge at you with crippled legs.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Really enjoying survivor difficulty, feels like the game was meant to be played that way.

Worried though because I don't have much problem surviving if I play carefully, hope it doesn't get any easier if I suddenly find a good laser rifle or sth.
How did you defeat that first Deathclaw on Survival? I can't seem to finish it off.

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
I'm nearly 100% sure the fight is impossible without having picked up a hidden weapon somewhere, I got him to 70% or so and turned it back to medium.
You guys using the elevated positions from the corner buildings? Will help to avoid any damage from him, don't know if his health max is different on Survival, it wouldn't help that.

The Highlander

There can be only one

Nah NV and 3 have their own stories. Knowing the lore lets you in on a few inside jokes but generally stories are independent. I recommend picking up NV though, you can get it with all the expansions for like 10 bucks now probably. Crazy good world, and has aged (Slightly) better than 3 IMO.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I had NV but it felt too ugly and jank then, I wish I had gotten on the Fallout train earlier.

I'm gonna pick this up soon though, maybe even today or tomorrow.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Is melee viable in this game?

Specifically punching things until they aren't thing anymore.

These knuckles thirst for the blood of mortals, can their lust for violence be sated here?

If so, gonna name my character Puncherella and she's gonna be queen cannibal #1.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Then all shall fall to the rule of fist.

May no man or law challenge me, lest they be reduced to ash from her red hot strikes!

Man, i'm really getting into this and I don't even have the game yet.

Does this game have spontaneous animated finishers like Skyrim? I always loved punching someone to near death and then having a random animation play out. Body slamming and German Suplexing motherfuckers as a cat person was super satisfying.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Then all shall fall to the rule of fist.

May no man or law challenge me, lest they be reduced to ash from her red hot strikes!

Man, i'm really getting into this and I don't even have the game yet.

Does this game have spontaneous animated finishers like Skyrim? I always loved punching someone to near death and then having a random animation play out. Body slamming and German Suplexing motherfuckers as a cat person was super satisfying.
Lmfao!!!! That I'm not sure about. I think the Melee weapons have distinct kill animations but I'm not 100% on that.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Does anyone know where the dog goes when you send him away? I could've sworn I sent him to Sanctuary very early in the game. That was forever ago. I wanted him to carry some stuff for me at a random place I found but I can't find the dog anywhere at all in town lol.

StealthyMuffin

Earth's Mightiest Knucklehead
Does anyone know where the dog goes when you send him away? I could've sworn I sent him to Sanctuary very early in the game. That was forever ago. I wanted him to carry some stuff for me at a random place I found but I can't find the dog anywhere at all in town lol.
He usually hangs around the dog house that's behind one of the houses in the neighborhood.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Are there any cool followers you can get? When followers die do they stay dead? How many followers can you have at a time?

Series Evaluation
From what I've seen and played so far of the series, my ratings go like this:
Fallout: 9/10
Fallout 2: 10/10
Fallout 3: 7/10
Fallout 4: 8/10 (the production values on this game bring it slightly above 3, but tbh this game is streamlined)
Fallout New Vegas: 9/10