What's new

Fallout 4 Discussion Thread

no skills sucks imo, as for the companion relationships i'm indifferent about it. It was originally going to be in new vegas but was cut from the final game, I guess i'm okay with it, just depends on whether or not bethesda will do it right.

The variety of weapons in the fallout series are incredibly diverse. There are so many to choose from and master, but you know that deep down in your mind, there has always been a weapon you would like to kill a death claw with that wasn't actually in the game. Personally, I would like to see bows and sling shots. If Bethesda brings a true crafting skill to fo like elder scrolls, then a bow or sling shot would be incredibly useful. Arrows may require a bit to make, but I'm sure the ammo for the sling shot would be darn near infinite. I understand a sling shot would be a little underpowered when fighting a demon spawn death claw, but who's to say there wouldn't be elemental effects to the ammo, like using cherry bombs to make explosives shots? Or rotting meat/venom to make poison? Idk. What say you, test your sight?

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I don't think the no skill point thing sounds that horrible... b/c really all that did was affect your abilities passively. Now you choose perks based on your special so it's more... specialized. lol

Idk, could be fun. Give it a chance.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
The engine is clearly still running on gamebryo which is extremely evident just by looking at the gameplay. Which is extremely disappointing as that engine frankly sucks and is very dated at this point. They've been using it since oblivion...Bethseda is shitting money at this point so why they're using this shitty old engine is beyond me. I'm one of those Bethesda haters though. I honestly haven't liked their games since Morrowind. I want Fallout 4 to be good but I'm just expecting it to be as generic as every other modern Bethesda game. New Vegas was a bit better thankfully as Obsidian (former black isle devs) did the writing.

Yes, I'm one of those Fallout 1 and 2 purists. If you have not played the originals by Interplay and Black Isle, you are doing yourself a disservice. Those games are still amazing and make 3 and NV (NV was much better over the two) just seem meh.

GNG Iniquity

no skills sucks imo, as for the companion relationships i'm indifferent about it. It was originally going to be in new vegas but was cut from the final game, I guess i'm okay with it, just depends on whether or not bethesda will do it right.
Eh...removing the skills was inevitable. Not like the stats really mattered in basically an FPS anyways... Bethesda loves dumbing games down as much as possible these days. $10 says the dog can't die and will be as powerful as Boon too.

You know how I feel already about perma death for the companions, stats actually mattering, and the game being challenging since I love the originals too.

Eh...removing the skills was inevitable. Not like the stats really mattered in basically an FPS anyways... Bethesda loves dumbing games down as much as possible these days. $10 says the dog can't die and will be as powerful as Boon too.

You know how I feel already about perma death for the companions, stats actually mattering, and the game being challenging since I love the originals too.
That's true, and you're right actually, they already confirmed that the Dog is immortal awhile back.

The engine is clearly still running on gamebryo which is extremely evident just by looking at the gameplay. Which is extremely disappointing as that engine frankly sucks and is very dated at this point. They've been using it since oblivion...Bethseda is shitting money at this point so why they're using this shitty old engine is beyond me. I'm one of those Bethesda haters though. I honestly haven't liked their games since Morrowind. I want Fallout 4 to be good but I'm just expecting it to be as generic as every other modern Bethesda game. New Vegas was a bit better thankfully as Obsidian (former black isle devs) did the writing.

Yes, I'm one of those Fallout 1 and 2 purists. If you have not played the originals by Interplay and Black Isle, you are doing yourself a disservice. Those games are still amazing and make 3 and NV (NV was much better over the two) just seem meh.
100% agreed. Fallout 3 took the things that made Fallout great and completely shit on them. I commend Obsidian for what they did with New Vegas, it actually felt like a sequel to Fallout 2. The writing made sense, the story made sense, everything was consistent. There were some bugs and things that they could have improved, but I think that in the time that they were given it's the best it could have been. It's really the closest thing that we're going to get to the originals, and all we can hope for is that Obsidian will get the chance to make another Fallout.

GNG Iniquity

100% agreed. Fallout 3 took the things that made Fallout great and completely shit on them. I commend Obsidian for what they did with New Vegas, it actually felt like a sequel to Fallout 2. The writing made sense, the story made sense, everything was consistent. There were some bugs and things that they could have improved, but I think that in the time that they were given it's the best it could have been. It's really the closest thing that we're going to get to the originals, and all we can hope for is that Obsidian will get the chance to make another Fallout.
We're both totally biased and I get that but damn it...Bethseda just botched the shit out of the series. I'm just waiting for their license of the IP to expire. Brian Fargo has already made Wasteland 2 and they're working on Planescape Torment 2 now. Isometric RPGs are coming back thank god. Fallout in the generic FPS setting is just not good and I really miss good RPGs....not this FPS skills don't matter no challenge involved little to no story crap.

Fallout 3 was 'enter this subway system for the millionth time'
Skyrim was 'enter this same fucking dungeon for the millionth time'

I miss random encounters, the highwayman, and the cool shit in Fallout. It's so mindlessly generic and boring now under Bethesda.

THIS IS WHAT FAST TRAVEL SHOULD LOOK LIKE:

Last edited:

MK Led

Umbasa
Luckily for me I like Bethesda's style of game and the fallout series, so to me its kinda just like an interesting mashup of the two. Would be cool to see another isometric fallout though, it could even be developed alongside whateve the next thing bethesda is making themselves, it would have a fairly different audience so it would totally be possible. Bethesda doesn't need to let go of the licence for it to happen, I mean they could back it as a publisher to give it a very decent budget.

Planescape Torment 2
Do you mean that Torment: tides of numenera game that got kickedstarted a while ago? cos that looks like it's gonna be fucking sweet.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Yeeeah,

I tried playing Fallout 1 & 2... bought the pack on steam. Couldn't get the the first game. That isometric view and the way you traveled as a little blip on a map was so... bleh. The combat wasn't bad and the inventory system and such was old school rpg style, which I like. But, just couldn't get into them.

Fallout: New Vegas is my favorite of the series, at this point, I believe.

And, just fyi... you don't have to play it as an FPS, I never do. Third person all day. (Unless I'm searching for loot in a dimly lit cave/area. lol)

I tried playing Fallout 1 & 2... bought the pack on steam. Couldn't get the the first game. That isometric view and the way you traveled as a little blip on a map was so... bleh.
Same. But my views have changed on the fallout universe. I used to like Fallout 3 a lot and always will cause that's the game I started on, but now New Vegas is my favorite, so many choices in terms of factions. Whatever Fallout 4 is, I doubt it'll be anything less than a 8/10 when it releases. But it does seem to be getting oversimplified to appeal to casuals.

MK Led

Umbasa
Same. But my views have changed on the fallout universe. I used to like Fallout 3 a lot and always will cause that's the game I started on, but now New Vegas is my favorite, so many choices in terms of factions. Whatever Fallout 4 is, I doubt it'll be anything less than a 8/10 when it releases. But it does seem to be getting oversimplified to appeal to casuals.
Definitely agree with you there, I think perhaps one of the only things fallout 3 did better than NV was that the world a bit more interesting to explore and find random shit to do in, but I would expect as much from Bethesda as that is their bread and butter. NV was better in almost every other way though, my first indication of this was when I first picked up a gun and realized I didn't have mod iron sights into the game lol.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I think with all the customization they are putting into this game (guns, armor, personal fortresses)... I think it will be my favorite fallout yet.

But I'm never a fan of dumbing things down for the casual masses.

MK Led

Umbasa
Interesting podcast/interview with the female protagonist VO and I think a voice director I saw linked to on reddit.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
So according to Bethesda's twitter, Fallout 4 has 11,000 recorded lines which is more than Skyrim and Fallout 3 combined

EDIT: Also, the game doesn't end when you beat the main story and there isn't any level cap. They also have a fallout themed xbox coming out soon
No level cap?? Wow that's crazy lol. This game will likely be the game that turns me casual in MKX lol. I can't resist Fallout. Even as great and hyped as it is I think it's still underrated.

What? Lol. You don't think its that great? Your avatar though. -.-

I think it's #1 in its category.
I don't believe that Fallout is underrated. Fallout one or two, hell maybe even NV, but not Fallout 3 or 4. If anything, Fallout 4 is massively overrated so far. People are going nuts, acting like this is going to be the game of the goddamn decade, when really it doesn't even look that amazing to me. I'm sure it'll be a fun game to turn your brain off for a couple hours while playing it but I doubt this is going to revolutionize anything.