What's new

Fallout 4 Discussion Thread

I think the dialogue options (for a fallout game), will somewhat suck. What happened to the long extended lines of text? I think they exchanged it for the Mass Effect Style to appeal to a wider audience. If you think about it, maybe the voice actor's line is what the long text would have been. It doesn't really bother me that much, but I do feel nostalgic about it. Also, I want a blank character, unless there is voice modulation, as said above it could be in the extras feature. Then I would be happy.

I think the dialogue options (for a fallout game), will somewhat suck. What happened to the long extended lines of text? I think they exchanged it for the Mass Effect Style to appeal to a wider audience. If you think about it, maybe the voice actor's line is what the long text would have been. It doesn't really bother me that much, but I do feel nostalgic about it. Also, I want a blank character, unless there is voice modulation, as said above it could be in the extras feature. Then I would be happy.
The modern "gamer" can't even be bothered to read a paragraph or two apparently. Honestly i'm optimistic about this game but i'm pretty sure the story is gonna be the same linear bethesda bullshit. They've even mentioned that the dog can't be killed, so he's probably going to be a essential companion for the story line whether you like it or not. That just cheapens the experience imo and it gives less freedom to the player

The modern "gamer" can't even be bothered to read a paragraph or two apparently. Honestly i'm optimistic about this game but i'm pretty sure the story is gonna be the same linear bethesda bullshit. They've even mentioned that the dog can't be killed, so he's probably going to be a essential companion for the story line whether you like it or not. That just cheapens the experience imo and it gives less freedom to the player
Yeah, gamer's these days lmao. And on Bethesda that is such bull. If I remember right, in past Fallout games, the dog could die, and you never get them back. What makes this dog so special (he's relevent to the story mode). INB4 a mod makes him killable.

Atriox

Here... I am a god!
A voiced protagonist doesn't immerse me in a game. It makes me feel like i'm playing with a set character rather than being able to have my own character with his own personality. When I play, I like to create my own characters voice in my head. Whenever I choose a dialogue option I think about the way he would come off across as saying it. It also limits dialogue options heavily, I mean look at this

Not to mention that the dialogue options in FO4 don't even actually tell you the entire line that he's going to say, it just shortens the passage so you don't have to read shit. Maybe it'll be bettter in the actual game, but right now it's one of my biggest concerns.
I can respect that. :) I guess I'm just not a hardcore RPG guy.

MK Led

Umbasa
Apparently NONE of the companions can be killed... They justify this by saying that from what they've seen most people will reload a save if their companion ever dies, so they just wanted to minimize people reloading saves and not just taking shit as it comes. Not too sure that was a great decision, but you can bet your booty that a killable companions mod will be one of the first ones out.

Makes me wonder what the overall difficulty of the game will be. Skyrim was piss easy on the hardest difficulty (except if you were using magic which was just not very good), but fallout games have a history of being more difficult, while elderscrolls has just never been about really difficult gameplay. Will be cool if they put in a hardcore mode like the one new vegas had.

Apparently NONE of the companions can be killed... They justify this by saying that from what they've seen most people will reload a save if their companion ever dies, so they just wanted to minimize people reloading saves and not just taking shit as it comes. Not too sure that was a great decision, but you can bet your booty that a killable companions mod will be one of the first ones out.

Makes me wonder what the overall difficulty of the game will be. Skyrim was piss easy on the hardest difficulty (except if you were using magic which was just not very good), but fallout games have a history of being more difficult, while elderscrolls has just never been about really difficult gameplay. Will be cool if they put in a hardcore mode like the one new vegas had.
Oh god, please don't be like Skyrim 2.0. If that's why they made the companions unkillable, that's just stupid. Who cares about loading saves, I want this game to stay realistic to past Fallout games. There better be a damn hardcore mode or survivalist capability:16Bit

Then again, there's always mods! :D (which I'm sure I'm going to have to make myself, since Bethesda is most likely gonna make paid mods a thing with their Bethesda.net service and Todd Howards claim that they have no plans at "this time", in addition with deals with Microsoft and mods for the consoles)

MK Led

Umbasa
Then again, there's always mods! :D (which I'm sure I'm going to have to make myself, since Bethesda is most likely gonna make paid mods a thing with their Bethesda.net service and Todd Howards claim that they have no plans at "this time")
Hopefully not, but as I've said before, many of the modders that upload to the nexus sites only ever upload there, which will always be free. They did avoid the topic of paid mods at E3 though, let's hope that means they want to forget about it just like we do, and not them being sneaky about it.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Yeah, it's personal preference, so why don't they add the option to play the game without the voice?

also I highly doubt that @The Slaj Jazz, VA's have got to be pretty expensive and they would have to rerecord thousands of lines. I'm guessing its the one voice actor for male/female.
They can't do that b/c they would basically have to make two entire games.

I do know that Courtenay Taylor that voiced subject zero/jack in Mass Effect 2&3 will be voicing the female character. Idk who's voicing the male version.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
A voiced protagonist doesn't immerse me in a game. It makes me feel like i'm playing with a set character rather than being able to have my own character with his own personality. When I play, I like to create my own characters voice in my head. Whenever I choose a dialogue option I think about the way he would come off across as saying it. It also limits dialogue options heavily, I mean look at this

Not to mention that the dialogue options in FO4 don't even actually tell you the entire line that he's going to say, it just shortens the passage so you don't have to read shit. Maybe it'll be bettter in the actual game, but right now it's one of my biggest concerns.
In DA2 I hated how some of the mood choices I picked came off as more jeering or aggressive that I would have liked e.g in what I imagined to be a slightly accusing sarcastic poke would turn into a full blown "just joking though" accusation.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
As for the whole "modern gamer" thing...

it has nothing to do with not wanting to read paragraphs... kotor 1&2, and fallout 3 and new vegas along with games like oblivion and dragon age origins are some of my favorite games of all time and they don't have a voiced player character. I just prefer that cinematic style and think it would make all of those games a more immersive experience.

I'm about as against dumbing down games as you can be and I don't think that style makes it any less than the non voiced character.

Like I said, it's just a personal preference thing.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I'm gonna play this game on the highest difficulty, first thing I'm going to do.

Still debating whether consoles or PC but heavily leaning towards PC.

Geth

Bows don't kill people, the arrows do.
Why didn't I know about this before? Now I can post in the TYM forums and not feel like a noob!
Okay, okay, have we already gone over how the Player survives in. A Vault for 200 years? Because I have an explanation!

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Maybe the player character is an android with the consciousness of the actual person and to have a baby they saved the sperm or eggs so they could artificially make a baby?

boom. solved. :p

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
will a gtx 760 be enough to play this at max?

i have an i7 4790k an 16gb of ram but my gtx in comparison is meh

MK Led

Umbasa
will a gtx 760 be enough to play this at max?

i have an i7 4790k an 16gb of ram but my gtx in comparison is meh
Yeah, I wonder what the system requirements will be. It would be cool if Bethesda did another free high resolution textures dlc for PC like they did for skyrim. I only have 8gb of ram and I think an i7 4790? But I do have a gtx 970, so hopefully I'll be set to play the game on max + like a hundred mods, haha.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Yeah, I wonder what the system requirements will be. It would be cool if Bethesda did another free high resolution textures dlc for PC like they did for skyrim. I only have 8gb of ram and I think an i7 4790? But I do have a gtx 970, so hopefully I'll be set to play the game on max + like a hundred mods, haha.
you defo will

idk if i will, i thought building this high end pc would last me at least 5 years but apparently not since games nowadays have i7s in their recommended settings.

Geth

Bows don't kill people, the arrows do.
Cryogenics?
Do you remember Vault 112? The Vault where you find Dad in Fallout 3? Do you remember Tranquility lane, the virtual reality town that the original members of the Vault have been trapped in? They've been kept alive, in Stasis in pods for over 200 years. My guess? Those same pods are in your Vault on Fallout 4. It's also worth noting that in Fallout 4 you come from Vault 111, a clear reference to Fallout 3's Vault 112.

Now, in regards to other comments about andriods, that may very well be the case as well. As we learned in Fallout 3, andriods come from the Commonwealth, located in the area which Fallout 4 takes place in. They are so human-like even they don't know they're andriods, and can have their memories or appearence changed on a whim. The player character could be an andriod constructed in the image of the pre-war player, with their memories altered to believe that they are in fact that person. Or even an andriod who has simply had false memories of a pre-war life and family injected into their brains by rogue vault equipment (ala Christine's auto-doc) or a (plot twist!) hidden antagonist. The big bad you don't learn is a big bad until he reveals his grand plan? Calling a Shyamalan now.