What's new

Fallout 4 Discussion Thread

Lol what? Where are you finding these people? Do they give pc gamers shit for torrenting episodes of breaking bad as well?
Believe or not, I find these people in real life when talking about gaming. I also find these people in the comment sections of reddit, youtube, and other forums, and I'm not entirely sure if they're trolling or not lol.

aj1701

Noob
No no no. When I said "optional as always" I meant that like most things in Bethesda open world games making a settlement is completely optional so you can still lone wolf it if you want. The building and crafting is new to this game though, the video you linked is just a mini game for iphone/android.
Yes, that's however I understood optional when you said it. thanks for the link, but I ended watching almost all of their e3 presentation so I'm caught up now. the settlement thing could be cool and I assume you can still go adventure once you have one otherwise you couldn't setup others.

I'm so hyped for this game. And doom and dishonored look amazing too!

MK Led

Umbasa
Yes please. Who already has set playthroughs? I wanna create a brawler man, quickshot gunner, femme sneak fatale, and a peaceful diplomat as my first playthroughs.
I generally always pick gals when there is the m/f choice, I like variety and well, games are like 90% male player characters so yeah. Beyond that... I'm thinking of doing my first runthrough with high charisma, and small guns for when shit inevitably gets fucked - probs will end up being a loner, though I'll probably pick up a companion if I end up liking any of them. Oh and probably also a full science/repair/heavy weapons character that I'll create a settlement with and such. :D

I generally always pick gals when there is the m/f choice, I like variety and well, games are like 90% male player characters so yeah. Beyond that... I'm thinking of doing my first runthrough with high charisma, and small guns for when shit inevitably gets fucked - probs will end up being a loner, though I'll probably pick up a companion if I end up liking any of them. Oh and probably also a full science/repair/heavy weapons character that I'll create a settlement with and such. :D
Cool! I also like to pick female characters. So many characters these days are the generic brunette male, usually facing with a gun or having their back turned, and I'm just tired of it lol. I was never into heavy weapons though, too hard to maintain and not that much damage lol, maybe things will change this time :)

Also, it seems they have changed from the skill point system and gone full skill tree system like in skyrim. In addition, Perception now affects your V.A.T.S accuracy, and Luck also determines the type of items you'll find. All other S.P.E.C.I.A.L skills seem unchanged. I found these out by rewatching the trailer and pausing at parts where they fastforward/skip the creation setup.

Also, it seems they have changed from the skill point system and gone full skill tree system like in skyrim. In addition, Perception now affects your V.A.T.S accuracy, and Luck also determines the type of items you'll find. All other S.P.E.C.I.A.L skills seem unchanged. I found these out by rewatching the trailer and pausing at parts where they fastforward/skip the creation setup.
ugh, I hate this. If it ain't broke don't fix it, exactly why I hate the voiced protagonist. so fuckin dumb

Atriox

Here... I am a god!
ugh, I hate this. If it ain't broke don't fix it, exactly why I hate the voiced protagonist. so fuckin dumb
Well maybe for you it wasn't broke, but some others (like myself) were hugely annoyed by the fact that your character is just a silent soul. The voiced protagonist adds so much immersion to the game. That was one of my only complaints in Fallout 3, same with the Elder Scrolls series. I don't feel truly immersed if everyone in the world is having a voice but myself.

Well maybe for you it wasn't broke, but some others (like myself) were hugely annoyed by the fact that your character is just a silent soul. The voiced protagonist adds so much immersion to the game. That was one of my only complaints in Fallout 3, same with the Elder Scrolls series. I don't feel truly immersed if everyone in the world is having a voice but myself.
A voiced protagonist doesn't immerse me in a game. It makes me feel like i'm playing with a set character rather than being able to have my own character with his own personality. When I play, I like to create my own characters voice in my head. Whenever I choose a dialogue option I think about the way he would come off across as saying it. It also limits dialogue options heavily, I mean look at this

Not to mention that the dialogue options in FO4 don't even actually tell you the entire line that he's going to say, it just shortens the passage so you don't have to read shit. Maybe it'll be bettter in the actual game, but right now it's one of my biggest concerns.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I thought perception already did that?

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
A voiced protagonist doesn't immerse me in a game. It makes me feel like i'm playing with a set character rather than being able to have my own character with his own personality. When I play, I like to create my own characters voice in my head. Whenever I choose a dialogue option I think about the way he would come off across as saying it. It also limits dialogue options heavily, I mean look at this

Not to mention that the dialogue options in FO4 don't even actually tell you the entire line that he's going to say, it just shortens the passage so you don't have to read shit. Maybe it'll be bettter in the actual game, but right now it's one of my biggest concerns.
That's just personal preference.

Others prefer the mass effect style cinematic feel. And I, for one, would much rather have a voiced protagonist than a mute. Nothing breaks immersion for me like my character just staring blankly back at someone.

I thought perception already did that?
Before, Perception granted bonuses to explosives, lockpick, and energy weapons skills, and determined whether you could tell if enemies were nearby. Now that they've decided to possibly axe skill points for skill trees, those are no longer needed. Hmm, maybe. There is already a percentage when you vats someone from any distance. Maybe I just got the wording wrong.

That's just personal preference.

Others prefer the mass effect style cinematic feel. And I, for one, would much rather have a voiced protagonist than a mute. Nothing breaks immersion for me like my character just staring blankly back at someone.
Yeah, it's personal preference, so why don't they add the option to play the game without the voice?

also I highly doubt that @The Slaj Jazz, VA's have got to be pretty expensive and they would have to rerecord thousands of lines. I'm guessing its the one voice actor for male/female.