What's new

General/Other - Ermac Ermac General Discussion Thread

zaf

professor
How are you guys dealing with crossups?
I just started picking up Ermac. I really like his neutral B12 B124 and f34 are great. The one thing that keeps crippling me is characters up close crossups.
How are you handling this as ermac? I find I have to pre-emptively NJP and his NJP range is not great. I guess I could run or dash out, but is there a more punish option?
What Metzos said. Also you can try just crouching without blocking to make cross ups whiff, then just trip guard.

My thoughts about Ermac's normals, and punishing tools.
im having enormous troubles punishing stuff.
For instance, if enemy pushes Ermac even slightest none of our reversals work: lift is 12 frames on start up, teleport even more, soul ball somewhere there, basically only reversal left that is viable is soul burst, which is 10 frames, fastest we have, but it also has downside that it has pathetic reach, and if already mentioned pushback is present then it's useless.
For instance, Kung Jin was abusing me with his stupid staff spin for weeks and i couldnt punish it. After long hours i discovered in lab that the only viable punish for it is ex lift which is 12 frames on start up. but it is also useless against -10 or -11 moves or faster moves.
Ermac's 2 is supposedly his fastest hitting normal at 8 frames, and in theory it should absolutely work for punishing -12 moves. But there is this weird transition which tom brady recently mentioned, that it requires 1 frames to cancel block to normal, on top of that, i cant punish consistently with 2.
I don't know, maybe it's my execution, but i just keep pressing 2 after i release block immediately after enemy's hit on my block and my 2 doesn't seem to come out.
People are getting away with absurdly unsafe specials and strings. Im not saying im bad at punishing, because i tested other characters 8 frame jabs and they work perfect, they are coming out fast, and consistently. Unlike Ermac's 2. What im getting at... maybe there is error in frame data and 2 is not 8 frames at all? That would have explained my issue with punishing, but it is unlikely that there is an error with it...
For example, Kung Jins bf2, is -12 on block. I have no trouble punishing it with 10 frame special - soul burst, but i cant punish it with 8 frame jab - 2. Where is logic in that??
Im just not sure how to punish stuff with Ermac. In mk9 almost none of the cast's specials had these absurd pushback distance, it was easy punishing with almost all moves, especially 12+lift. But in mk10 everyone has this pushback and the only tool we have for punishing enemies at that kind of distance is EX lift at 12 frames. (MoS). Mystic though has it without 1 bar & EX. which is good, but not decisive factor.
Try holding block and still pressing 2. There are some threads on the forums showing you that you can hold block while still being able to do some actions. ( There should be 2 threads. One by Ribbz22 and the other by me)

How does it feel to be WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE?
It is "Your mother is a wh-"

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
What Metzos said. Also you can try just crouching without blocking to make cross ups whiff, then just trip guard.

Try holding block and still pressing 2. There are some threads on the forums showing you that you can hold block while still being able to do some actions. ( There should be 2 threads. One by Ribbz22 and the other by me)

It is "Your mother is a wh-"
Against characters like Sonya and Shinnok that seems VERY hard. Sonya and Shinnok share very similar jump 1s (other cast members have them too), but they linger forever and hit super deep.

I was having trouble with a shinnok teleport dropper with Ermac. Mind you I haven't labbed it, but I just wanted to ask some of the better ermac players. I have never been able to do anything about that jump. Even with other characters it's very hard to deal with :(

TheGlow

Retired Noob
I was doing some online with a friend of mine and we had green bars. Connection felt great. I could reaction block to seeing a projectile or thrown interactable. Yay. However I noticed 1 oddity. I the combo I've been shooting for so far to not too be too complicated and online friendly is 222, bf2, jip, f21d2, j3, telerport punch, f4.... The kick whiffed around 20 times, landed twice. In training I hit them so high with this, it looks like it cant possibly give me problems. Yet that was the case. I was trying to either f4, 3 or f4 ex slam, jip, uppercut.

But definitely felt good to be able to do stuff.
Then go on random ranked and proceed to be unable to 222, bf2 again.

zaf

professor
Against characters like Sonya and Shinnok that seems VERY hard. Sonya and Shinnok share very similar jump 1s (other cast members have them too), but they linger forever and hit super deep.

I was having trouble with a shinnok teleport dropper with Ermac. Mind you I haven't labbed it, but I just wanted to ask some of the better ermac players. I have never been able to do anything about that jump. Even with other characters it's very hard to deal with :(
Try D4 for that. The best way to find out is the lab man. It's awesome in this game.

TheGlow

Retired Noob
Does 222 just not work as well in some matchups?
I went against a friend using Kung Jin and I was able to punish with 222, or go for 222 and beat out what he was trying.
Later he was using Dvorah and I was missing a whole lot. Might be he was just going for a low 1 more often but seemed to have her hitbox always out of reach on that.

zaf

professor
Try D4 for that. The best way to find out is the lab man. It's awesome in this game.
So it is shinnok and sonya Jump in punch 1 that is the issue? ill look in the lab for an answer later if so.
Not neutral punch right? jump in?

Found another bug with Spectral Emrac, though its PC only for now.

If you go into flight mode, you can't move when using d-pad, but if you use your analog stick, you can fly just fine.

Tested with my 360 Madcatz TE, my Xbox One pad and a friends PS360+, which has its own drivers, and is wired to the d-pad entirely.

I can confirm that this bug is no longer an issue on PC, though everything else is at the moment...so swings and roundabouts.

Trip Se7ens

Nom Nom
Um did Ermac lose 3 percent dmg on X-ray? Alot of other chars X-ray dmg has gone down too whether it be from naked X-ray or in combos... WTF is there patch notes?

zaf

professor
Um did Ermac lose 3 percent dmg on X-ray? Alot of other chars X-ray dmg has gone down too whether it be from naked X-ray or in combos... WTF is there patch notes?
No idea, didn't realize there was a patch. Will need to test using the xray combos posted here on the forums.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Yea it went down to 29% but my big 50% combo is still doing 50%
F4 > Soul Ball > JiP > F21D2 > F4 > Xray

So I dunno if it was a patch or a mistake but a 29% naked xray is shite lol

pc is actually 3 patches behind ps4.
we dont even have jason.
and people got their save games deleted when they downloaded last patch which was supposed to add jason. god, i cant take this bs anymore.

TheGlow

Retired Noob
pc is actually 3 patches behind ps4.
we dont even have jason.
and people got their save games deleted when they downloaded last patch which was supposed to add jason. god, i cant take this bs anymore.
Haha, my man. got me laughing at the workplace.
Im kind of glad I didnt go near that release.

Klesk_1

RIP Grundy
@zaf - perhaps you can help here..

Can anyone possibly check this for me, MoS varation (haven't looked at others)... i believe you can fit in a full reset from the soul release. I mean this may have already been discovered but if you catch them with soul ball, then dash twice, then hit soul release the moment you're expecting the effect to wear off it bounces them in the air and resets your combos and your damage scalling... i've tested in in practive in the latest update and it works... this means that for example you can to (just as an example) jip b2d12 b12 22 SB 27% dash dash bf1 nj1 b12 22 EXLift dash d2 d2(because by this point they're in the corner otherwise only one d2 hits) 30% = 57% 1 meter?

UPR_Nova

Noob
@zaf - perhaps you can help here..

Can anyone possibly check this for me, MoS varation (haven't looked at others)... i believe you can fit in a full reset from the soul release. I mean this may have already been discovered but if you catch them with soul ball, then dash twice, then hit soul release the moment you're expecting the effect to wear off it bounces them in the air and resets your combos and your damage scalling... i've tested in in practive in the latest update and it works... this means that for example you can to (just as an example) jip b2d12 b12 22 SB 27% dash dash bf1 nj1 b12 22 EXLift dash d2 d2(because by this point they're in the corner otherwise only one d2 hits) 30% = 57% 1 meter?
Have you set the AI to block in stance? For example, set the AI to stance block option so that you can start a combo, complete the combo you are saying then the AI will block the soul release. Unless you are doing something that I'm not, I haven't been able to get a reset from this set up if the opponent is blocking, therefore, making it non-existent. If I am missing something please let me know because an actual reset would be RIDICULOUS.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
IDK about anyone else but I've had some success countering cross up pressure with D1.
Same here. When it comes to cross ups, I try to NjP (which I rarely pull off), or uppercut. Most of the time I let them get away with it and wait for their jump in combo to poke out (unless they are crossing me up non stop, then I time a NjP

UPR_Nova

Noob
IDK about anyone else but I've had some success countering cross up pressure with D1.
That's good to know actually. Didn't think it would work like it did in MK9 so I was hesitant in real matches. I've been going with d3 to lower my hitbox and create a situation where the opponent whiffs. Going to have to implement this.

Nyaa

Let's fighting love
Against crossup pressure I usually let loose a D2 into ex lift, or D4 into 222 xx ball. I have to try using D1 and see how it compares.

Klesk_1

RIP Grundy
Have you set the AI to block in stance? For example, set the AI to stance block option so that you can start a combo, complete the combo you are saying then the AI will block the soul release. Unless you are doing something that I'm not, I haven't been able to get a reset from this set up if the opponent is blocking, therefore, making it non-existent. If I am missing something please let me know because an actual reset would be RIDICULOUS.
you're right, if you hold block this does not work. damn. still interesting that the combo finishes even though you're still in the same animation though